Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 1976 hit which played non stop during that hot summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

so in very cold weather irish people become obssesed with bread,i wonder what will start flying off the shelves next week. Fans me thinks.

i look foward to the tar on the roads starting to melt.

Whitstable-99-ice-cream.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No, those warnings are for snow and wind only, and occasionally rain. Things like heat won't stop services.

But a red warning states seek shelter stay indoors ect
    it doesn't break down into different reasons/categorys

i agree with you it shouldnt stop service's ect but in this H&S age it could possibly

And will the people who was saying your not insured to drive in red weather conditions be saying it again scaring people not to drive.

I think met will use discretion and hold off on issuing a red alert if temp was only to go slightly above 30c for 2 consecutive days for these reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its 7 degrees in reykjavik,reaching a heady high of 9 next week,thats just depressing.

meanwhile the gfs 18z is gone tits up,with the real warmth short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS 18z is the downgrade I've been waiting for. Even though it is the Pub Run, it has to be noted. The previous few Pub Runs have been good and warm but this one is just disappointing with a return to the westerlies by the middle of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The GFS 18z is the downgrade I've been waiting for. Even though it is the Pub Run, it has to be noted. The previous few Pub Runs have been good and warm but this one is just disappointing with a return to the westerlies by the middle of next week.

Yeah ouch! Sure it will be all better in the morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

vickers209 wrote: »
    But a red warning states seek shelter stay indoors ect
    it doesn't break down into different reasons/categorys

i agree with you it shouldnt stop service's ect but in this H&S age it could possibly

And will the people who was saying your not insured to drive in red weather conditions be saying it again scaring people not to drive.

I think met will use discretion and hold off on issuing a red alert if temp was only to go slightly above 30c for 2 consecutive days for these reasons

A red warning states "take action". There is no danger in an air conditioned supermarket, other than perhaps a stampede of people coming in for ice cream. Certain activities where such heat would bring issues would perhaps be postponed or measures taken to reduce the impact of the weather. Things like fires can break out easier.

The "you're not insured" was to do with someone knowingly putting their car at risk. Insurance policies do not state "invalid during red warnings", it is a clause that if you drive in circumstances where damage to your car is likely, then you're not insured. For example driving during a hurricane is different to driving in 30c heat.

I think it would draw attention to people, we Irish are not used to extended hot spells, and if this one turned out to be record breaking we could see many people becoming severely dehydrated, getting heat and sun stroke and other potential dangers start to occur. The elderly in particular are an at risk group.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

sryanbruen wrote: »

Is the dream dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFSOPEU00_165_1.png

Mid summer hot continental air

AQBJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well,West Coast and islands had a huge rainfall yesterday. Impressive loud deluges. Hoping we will be out of the worst of extreme heat too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1009172290716782595?s=19
    Selection of today's max temps (°C):

Oak Park (Carlow) 24.6
    Phoenix Park 24.1
    Casement Aerodrome 24.0
    Dublin Airport 23.2
    Dunsany (Meath) 22.3
    Moore Park (Cork) 22.7
    Mullingar 21.5
    Shannon Airport 21.4
    Cork Airport 20.0
    Athenry 20.0
    Valentia 19.1
    Knock 15.2
    Malin Head 13.5 https://t.co/vgupZaKAey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This morning's ECM

9ad93738236f180b3f6e0a2559ddb3e5.gif

*except if you're a farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Christ what happened in Dublin over the past 3 hours, it’s roasting outside all of a sudden! Walked outside work at 2pm and it was decent weather. Walked outside at 5pm and it’s like we’re 20 miles from the surface of the sun.

I was freezing most of yesterday in Dublin but when I got luas to Sandyford at 15:30 it was like getting on in Reykjavik and getting off in Hawaii 40 minutes later :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The word heatwave was mentioned in the 7.55 forecast this morning!

Met Eireanns outlook :
    "Met wrote:
    NEXT WEEK: Very warm or even hot conditions developing into next week with sunshine prevailing. The warmest weather so far this year possibly on the way through this extended settled spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

The word heatwave was mentioned in the 7.55 forecast this morning!

I bet Joanna wrote that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

A cousin, his wife and kids are over from Perth Australia for the next few weeks visiting his parents that retired back to Ireland a few years ago after 40 years as Irish expats in Oz. Missed the good weather by a mere day or two. Wife and daughter attended the Taylor Swift Concert in Winter Woolies! :D Laughed at our notion of warm/hot Summers. Can't seem to get it into his head that an Irish Humid 26º with 60-70% Humidity is going to feel like mid to high 30's and that he and family are not going to be wearing their Winter Woolies next weeks. :D

His wife met a friend from work in Perth....up in the middle of the Wicklow Mountains the other day. 15,000km from Home up the mountains in the middle of nowhere walking through a heather covered bog.....and you bump into a friend from work in Oz along the path :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

This has the be the greatest 12 months of all time for Irish weather observers/forecasters.
    The last hot spell was mostly on week days with cloudy weekends so I'm excited for this.

Fair play lads ye saw this coming weeks ago as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Im off to the south of spain for a week on the 7th of july, how will i cope with this much sun.

Once we get some decent thunderstorms in Dublin I don't really care. Its time we got an epic show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

so what sort of date range are we looking at for all this?

lawred2 wrote: »
    so what sort of date range are we looking at for all this?

The weekend onwards, but it should improve from today onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The weekend onwards, but it should improve from today onwards.

Onwards to? I see a lot of people saying it’s only until middle of next week before it breaks again?

Onwards to? I see a lot of people saying it’s only until middle of next week before it breaks again?

No indication of when it'll end yet. Models are split

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not sure but it's looking almost certain that most of next week is going to be very warm indeed. I think most places will hit the mid 20's, a few places could see high 20's or even scrape a 30 in one or two locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

No doubt this is a Monday to Wednesday event so will miss out with work again:(

alentejo wrote: »
    No doubt this is a Monday to Wednesday event so will miss out with work again:(

What do you know that we don't?

ukmaxtemp.png

heatwave continuing into friday

ukmaxtemp.png

• Advertisement

Wow, that's a hot GFS run. Easily making it +30c in some spots in that 06Z run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement