Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭squarecircles

west Mayo this evening,and indeed many evenings the last 7 days,anyone for a spot of rain? amusing reading talk of droughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Christ what happened in Dublin over the past 3 hours, it’s roasting outside all of a sudden! Walked outside work at 2pm and it was decent weather. Walked outside at 5pm and it’s like we’re 20 miles from the surface of the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Temperature rose to 24 degrees earlier in Cork City and has now plummeted to 14/15 degrees with a light mist. Very strange weather

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What a cracker of an ECM run again! I'm melting in anticipation and running out of superlatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Christ what happened in Dublin over the past 3 hours, it’s roasting outside all of a sudden! Walked outside work at 2pm and it was decent weather. Walked outside at 5pm and it’s like we’re 20 miles from the surface of the sun.

Yes it went from 14 or 15 degrees this afternoon to an overcast and windy 21 degrees by 7pm. Very very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What a cracker of an ECM run again! I'm melting in anticipation and running out of superlatives.

It looks.. So.. BEAUTIFUL :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is looking like a similar setup to before with the Low pressure off the iberia area. Possibly we might get a re-run of our thunderstorm in Cork City? hm

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Turning out to be a great year for weather. Loads of snow in the winter and plenty of sun in the summer. Early days yet but a great start to the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does anyone remember a deluge in August a few years ago. Cannot remember the year, doh, but honestly we were sitting out the back and all of a sudden, BAM.

No one could escape it was mad. This was Dublin.

(And I thought they were all going home, not!)

Does anyone remember a deluge in August a few years ago. Cannot remember the year, doh, but honestly we were sitting out the back and all of a sudden, BAM.

No one could escape it was mad. This was Dublin.

(And I thought they were all going home, not!)

Was it 2014? 2nd August 2014 brought a daily rainfall of 84.0mm to Dublin Airport. 17.3mm fell on the 5th in the form of heavy showers and ex-hurricane Bertha brought 27.6mm on the 10th (the day I escaped here and went to Lanzarote :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Was it 2014? 2nd August 2014 brought a daily rainfall of 84.0mm to Dublin Airport. 17.3mm fell on the 5th in the form of heavy showers and ex-hurricane Bertha brought 27.6mm on the 10th (the day I escaped here and went to Lanzarote :D).

Funnily enough, I escaped to London on the 11th of August 2014 for a week. It was mostly nice there but I think there was heavy rain on the 16th there. I also remember a small, quick thundershower on the 11th or maybe 12th. I do remember August 2014 being very wet at the start at least here in Dublin. This year, I'm also escaping to London in mid August.

• Advertisement

have met eireann alluded to the blow torching thats coming yet.

have met eireann alluded to the blow torching thats coming yet.

They mention very warm weather for the first half of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Quite wet in Galway today. Tough for some farmers alright with fodder stocks low.
    I am looking forward to the good weather. The previous spell was magical after the long winter. I am nearly out of Brennans bread in the freezer. Should I buy more?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Quite wet in Galway today. Tough for some farmers alright with fodder stocks low.
    I am looking forward to the good weather. The previous spell was magical after the long winter. I am nearly out of Brennans bread in the freezer. Should I buy more?

Just to be on the safe side I'd say get more

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think it was a few years earlier, but it was unreal, within minutes the roads around here were flooded. Anyway, just wondered if anyone could pin point it. I cannot put a year on it sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Could be August 2012. Some very intense showers around that month.

New Moon

so in very cold weather irish people become obssesed with bread,i wonder what will start flying off the shelves next week. Fans me thinks.

i look foward to the tar on the roads starting to melt.

Ah, August 2012. That might have been it indeed. I remember going to the cinema with my friend to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid in Coolock on August 4th 2012 and it was complete blue skies outside. After a while when it was over, it started lashing and we were soaked. Was forced to go indoors. Just came to my mind now that Oneiric 3 mentioned the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I think i remember ME mentioning a while back the daily rainfall record was 162 mm in dublin in the early 1900s and that 110 mm came down in less than 6 hours. Now that was an extreme weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

so in very cold weather irish people become obssesed with bread,i wonder what will start flying off the shelves next week. Fans me thinks.

Burger / Hot Dog Buns, my sister works for Irish Pride and says this kind of weather always causes panic buying of these.
    Seems in Ireland there is a bread product emergency for every extreme weather condition :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

i look foward to the tar on the roads starting to melt.

This

Bulmers_Bottle_and_pint_flattenedlow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not particularly warm and that still looks nice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford City only has yellow verges now. The grass stopped growing two and half weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

If there was a red warning issued would the country be shut down again?

I know your less likely to die from heat than a ex hurricane or blizzards ect.
    kids elderly would be vulnerable more so.

I dont think a red heat warning wouldnt be taken as serious as previous ones
    But would the likes of bus services stop as in previous times

vickers209 wrote: »

I doubt that the country would shut down fully like with Storm Emma/Ophelia. I think all students would be off by the time the heat gets serious so it wouldn't affect them much. I don't see why buses wouldn't run though. Most of them have windows to let the air in so heat shouldn't be a big issue. They didn't operate in the wind or snow for the obvious reasons. I'm not sure what would happen to workers though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very unlikely a red warning for heat would cause any disruption. 30C won't stop buses running or prevent business's from opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No, those warnings are for snow and wind only, and occasionally rain. Things like heat won't stop services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Gonzo wrote: »
    very unlikely a red warning for heat would cause any disruption. 30C won't stop buses running or prevent business's from opening.

The only red warning will be on my big fat naked arse when I fall asleep while catching some rays in the nude on the roof of my office building. I hate them tan lines.

so next week here are some of the potential hazards.

heat stress from poorly ventilated work areas
    oppressive night time conditions for sleeping
    dehydration
    people taking risks in water
    general moanyness - its too hot,when will it end etc

also everyone should be slathered in spf 30 or higher
    as UV levels will be sky rocketing.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement