Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get much sleep?

Options
  • 12-06-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

As the title asks,

do you get enough sleep ?
    Maybe too much ?
    Too little?
    Do you give yourself betwen 7-8 hours etc?
    Or are you someone who thrives on less ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

wally1990 wrote: »
    As the title asks, do you get enough sleep ? Maybe too much ? Too little? Do you give yourself betwen 7-8 hours etc? Or are you someone who thrives on less ?
    Hours of sleep vary by day. During exams, less. After, more. Weekdays around 7 average. Sunday sleep-ins to compensate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Beyond average sleep per night recommendations from various sources, it should be kept in mind that there are individual differences that may vary widely in terms of needs and sleep practices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Individual differences important!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Used to go to bed in time to get "the recommended" ~8 hours sleep, then toss and turn for a few hours, finally nod off, and wake up grumpy.

Was told by a therapist fairly recently that the eight hours sleep thing is a drastic over-simplification and everyone has different sleep requirements, generally ranging from 4 hours to 10 hours.

So I started going to bed a couple hours later, when I actually felt tired, and getting around 5 - 6 hours sleep.

Feel better as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Anywhere from 5 hours to 11 hours, all depends on the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Was told by a therapist fairly recently that the eight hours sleep thing is a drastic over-simplification and everyone has different sleep requirements, generally ranging from 4 hours to 10 hours.
    Agree

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Goodshape wrote: »
    Used to go to bed in time to get "the recommended" ~8 hours sleep, then toss and turn for a few hours, finally nod off, and wake up grumpy.
    Used to attempt the 8 hour-per-night routine, but in like manner on several occasions I would toss-and-turn and "wake up grumpy." Modified my sleeping behavior to where if the tossing begins, I don't fight it, rather read a novel or do some work.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Used to attempt the 8 hour-per-night routine, but in like manner on several occasions I would toss-and-turn and "wake up grumpy." Modified my sleeping behavior to where if the tossing begins, I don't fight it, rather read a novel or do some work.
    Ditto.

Recent disruption of my sleep cycle, if in fact I had one, has produced experiencing of many dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

About 6 hours by night, plus an hour siesta in the afternoon. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

I seem to work well with 6 hours during the week: bed at 00:00 when tired, fall asleep straight away, have a great sleep, up at 06:00 go for a run - good energy for the day.

Unfortunately my wife seems to need a minimum of 9 hours every night and then gets annoyed when I barge into the bedroom 2 hours after she has gone to sleep!

Less than 8 during week. Catch-up weekends.

Fathom wrote: »
    Less than 8 during week. Catch-up weekends.
    I can identify with this sleep cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I need at least 10 a night to function for work or I'm like a zombie.
    Weekends I can get 12-14 but I feel alot worse waking up feels like i got no sleep at all but the following day I feel great.
    But that was before I had a baby now I get 5 if I lucky haha thank god for nannys and grandads on weekends

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I need at least 10 a night to function for work or I'm like a zombie.
    Friend of mine the same. We are all different. Have different sleep needs.

Gonzalo G. Alvarez MD Najib T. Ayas MD, MPH, The Impact of Daily Sleep Duration on Health: A Review of the Literature, PCVN, Volume19, Issue 2, Spring 2004, Pages 56-59:
    Under strict experimental conditions, short‐term restriction of sleep results in a variety of adverse physiologic effects, including hypertension, activation of the sympathetic nervous system, impairment of glucose control, and increased inflammation. A variety of epidemiologic studies have also suggested an association between self‐reported sleep duration and long‐term health.

My sleeping patterns have recently changed, and with this I have had more dreams to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I don't sleep "properly" most of the time. I've been trying to track my sleep times, and using a Fitbit. It turns out that I need very little sleep when left to my own devices, i.e. when I don't have to go to work or classes at any particular time. I sleep for less than three hours at a time, generally twice per day, and it's easier when it's bright out.

The recent heatwave had me sleeping a bit more, but now that it's raining I should be able to get some feckin' work done...

I don't sleep "properly" most of the time.
    You're quotation marks noted. Raises point. Does "properly" exist empirically? Or social norms?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The danger with thinking you're fine with less sleep is that your ability to judge how fine you are also deteriorates with less sleep. apparently
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jsr.12651

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656292/

I didn't read the second link thoroughly as i stumbled on it when looking for the first.

I also saw this today
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/sleep-brain-alzheimers-plaques-protein

I need my sleep! usually 6-8 hours weekdays and maybe longer on weekends. slept for about 12 hours one night last week

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Fathom wrote: »
    You're quotation marks noted. Raises point. Does "properly" exist empirically? Or social norms?

I'm not really sure if I'm getting to a deep level of sleep (as measured empirically, or close to it), but I'm definitely not conforming to the social expectations that come along with "sleep". It's more like an unplanned nap in the morning, and another after lunch.

I don't seem to be suffering with it, but I'm not exactly healthy anyway. The thing is, I don't seem to be capable of going to sleep for any more than three hours, no matter how tired I am. Exercise, caffeine and food don't seem to affect it.

Individual differences. Some are 8 hour sleepers. Others shorter sleepers and nappers. During demanding times I sleep less, nap more frequently. Other times 8 may occur.

Summer break. Different sleep patterns for students?

New sleep cycle? During Summer heat wave? Sleep by day under A/C or in pool. Out by night when cool.

I need at least 8 to feel good but can cope on less. So 8 hours give or take during the week and if I’m not going anywhere early at the weekend up to 12 then. If I sleep more than 12 I get a headache which is just as well otherwise I’d sleep away half my life! I really need my sleep and although I can cope on less than 8 I don’t feel myself at all on less than that.

If I sleep more than 12 I get a headache
    Me too.

Tokyo news special. Ghost capillaries associated with dementia. Getting adequate sleep helped keep capillaries healthy. Staved off dementia.

If I sleep more than 12 I get a headache
    Sometimes a back ache for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I go through phases where I'll fall asleep sometime in the early evening (usually after drinking one or two bottles of beer) and wake up around 2-3 am and proceed to sit up all night.

For the most part, I just sit up all night and sleep most of the day.

Advertisement