Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat, dairy and poultry production scandals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What’s the story with exports and imports for meat ?

Seems like Ireland is exporting large quantities of meat and importing large quantities of the same meats.

So Irish produced meat is sold abroad for a premium while they also import ‘lesser’ meat, label it as Irish and sell it in Ireland.

Why does the Irish consumer accept this ?

Seems crazy to me bar the obvious financial benefits to the industry.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/over-one-third-of-irish-pork-exports-go-to-markets-outside-of-the-eu/

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/over-one-third-of-irish-pork-exports-go-to-markets-outside-of-the-eu/

Firstly no you didn't link the article with the 90% imported claim, i googled and found it on the irish examiners site.

i'd say a large portion of imported meats are preserved in spices etc so while being lesser cuts of meat theyre quiet high value. theres also the high value steaks imported by some steak restaurant to have something different on the menu.

i'm going to use an analogy of what you are trying to do with the imported chicken.
    the woman behind the govegan campaign is Sandra Higgins. Sandra higgins is an accused child abuser whos trial colapsed a few weeks ago.

now that would lead you to believe that sandra higgins of govegan is a child abuser but no its really 2 different women.

ganmo wrote: »
    Firstly no you didn't link the article with the 90% imported claim, i googled and found it on the irish examiners site.

i'd say a large portion of imported meats are preserved in spices etc so while being lesser cuts of meat theyre quiet high value. theres also the high value steaks imported by some steak restaurant to have something different on the menu.

i'm going to use an analogy of what you are trying to do with the imported chicken.
    the woman behind the govegan campaign is Sandra Higgins. Sandra higgins is an accused child abuser whos trial colapsed a few weeks ago.

now that would lead you to believe that sandra higgins of govegan is a child abuser but no its really 2 different women.

wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

wtf

He means this

I’ve definitely read (and I think I linked the article) that up to 90% of chickens used on the high street so that would be deli’s, restaurants, hotels, your local takeaway, ready made sandwiches and so on are imported from Thailand and Brazil.

They are not from Thailand or Brazil, they are from outside Ireland, which just as easily means Anywhere else in the EU. And it's fairly easy to spot these imports, it's not rocket science to read labels.
    You're adding two & two and implying the answer is five. They're from outside Ireland so they must be from Thailand or brazil.

Seems neither of you have a clue.

90% of those chickens come from Thailand, Brazil and Eastern Europe.

This is taken from an article in Irish times -

‘The new labelling legislation doesn’t apply to restaurants, cafes or delis, where as much 90 per cent of chicken served is imported.

Typically, the meat in prepackaged sandwiches comes from Thailand, while frozen chicken comes from Brazil and a lot of the fresh chicken breasts come from eastern Europe, where producers have a surfeit of white meat and sell their surplus to the Dutch at heavy discounts.

Typically, these breasts are put into 25- fillet trays and gas flushed – a process that sees much of the oxygen removed from the packaging and replaced with other gases. It adds between two and four days to a chicken breast’s shelf life and is designed to be sold into the catering trade but can often end up decanted and sold as fresh at butchers’ counters.’

‘The new labelling legislation doesn’t apply to restaurants, cafes or delis, where as much 90 per cent of chicken served is imported.

Typically, the meat in prepackaged sandwiches comes from Thailand, while frozen chicken comes from Brazil and a lot of the fresh chicken breasts come from eastern Europe, where producers have a surfeit of white meat and sell their surplus to the Dutch at heavy discounts.

Typically, these breasts are put into 25- fillet trays and gas flushed – a process that sees much of the oxygen removed from the packaging and replaced with other gases. It adds between two and four days to a chicken breast’s shelf life and is designed to be sold into the catering trade but can often end up decanted and sold as fresh at butchers’ counters.’

your quotes are not backing up what you're saying

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    your quotes are not backing up what you're saying

If that’s your definition of fresh then go nuts.

Doubt your average punter would consider it fresh.

If that’s your definition of fresh then go nuts.

Doubt your average punter would consider it fresh.

thats not the point i was disagreeing with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I’ve also seen that 90% of chicken sold in Ireland comes from Thailand or Brazil.

Pretty damning figures.

chickens could be from Thailand or Brazil ?

For every 10 chicken sandwiches bought 9 of those are effectively from Thailand or Brazil .

Unreal.

So when you leave your home and eat chicken for every 10 you eat 9 will have come from Thailand or Brazil.

I’ll need to find some farming videos from Thailand and Brazil.
    Hopefully ? Not sure the public would like ‘hopefully’.

Yeah but 90% of chicken bought outside the home is from Thailand or Brazil.

So what do they do in raising animals for food.

We’ve seen that 90% of chickens used in deli’s, restaurants, hotels, takeaways and so on come from countries such as Thailand and Brazil.

I very much doubt the public realise this.

You were very strong on implying these chickens only came from Thailand or Brail, that is, until you had to actually refer to the article itself and admit that you were infact incorrect and it also said EU.

So to use that lovely journalism word....typically. Typically how many people would eat in a restaurant or deli or takeaway chicken every day? Very few. So focusing on the fact that a minor part of the chicken eaten every day in Ireland is sourced from these areas is hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yeah. 58 + 30 is 88 so it’s more like 40% ?

Anyway, it’s a lot eh.

What? If you can't do basic math, you really shouldn't be throwing around percentages. It's less than 35%, so please stop inflating figures to suit your agenda.

Also much of our imported beef is from the UK, where the standards are also pretty high. I had a lovely M&S Beef burger from the BBQ yesterday. Yum. I also mostly eat and drink organic and free range where possible. Tastes much better anyway.
    I’ve definitely read (and I think I linked the article) that up to 90% of chickens used on the high street so that would be deli’s, restaurants, hotels, your local takeaway, ready made sandwiches and so on are imported from Thailand and Brazil.

You do know that "up to 90%" can easily mean 1% or less? I don't know what article you are referring to, but when "up to" is used....I change the station. So maybe one week in 2016, 90% of our chickens was imported from countries outside Ireland and that's what the journalist decides to jump on. At all other times, it could be 20%. Throw Thailand and Brazil in the mix and highlight only those countries and you have a story to sell to gullible readers who don't want the facts. Facts only get in the way.
    Also, extremist vegans have nothing to do with this thread so no idea why you’re bringing that up.

Sure they do. It's also an extreme stretch as to how you are presenting your figures. More than 50% imported beef becomes around 40% after your error was highlighted and finally you now know that it's less again.
    It’s funny though that you ‘find it very rich’ and see a cost to their lifestyle but not to the lifestyle of a carnist.

Yes, I do find it very rich, but it's not at all funny. You see, I haven't started a number of threads about the problems of veganism while completely ignoring the problems with farming meat.

Advertisement