Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should President Trump be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Have people just completely forgotten about the whole Iran thing ? That was only a few weeks ago for feck sake
    Such is life in the time of the Trump administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Have people just completely forgotten about the whole Iran thing ? That was only a few weeks ago for feck sake

They've forgotten about it already. They don't care, they just want to lick libtards tears from their mothers basement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

No and he's not a politician. He's a businessman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Yes, that was more than one sleepy-nighty-snoozy-time ago so it didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Danzy wrote: »
    He deserves consideration and is as viable a pick as many who have received it.

Nice to have a a U.S. President who Is not always bomb,bomb,bomb.

A change is welcome,the Peace President, relatively speaking.

Drone strikes have gone up since Trump took over, and by a lot - as in up to six times as many as there were previously in some places.

Strangely, all those people "ever so worried" about drone strikes in 2015 and 2016 no longer seem to give a sh*t? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Drone strikes have gone up since Trump took over, and by a lot - as in up to six times as many as there were previously in some places.

Strangely, all those people "ever so worried" about drone strikes in 2015 and 2016 no longer seem to give a sh*t? :confused:

Usual politics at work, sadly. Drone strikes went up ten fold under Obama vs. Bush. Largely expect it at this stage.

Usual politics at work, sadly. Drone strikes went up ten fold under Obama vs. Bush. Largely expect it at this stage.

True enough, and to be honest I don't mind drone strikes going up on their own. Usually they are replacing soldiers in the ground as that technology becomes more readily available. I don't like them, but I also don't like boots on the ground or more traditional airstrikes etc.

But I do find it funny how it was such a huge issue for many (including many boardsies to the point if there being multiple threads on it in 2015 and 2016)... only to completely ignored as on January 2017 (or in some cases, celebrated as going down despite going up).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Himself and Kim should be a lock for the award. Pressure from Liberal Lobby Groups may pressure them not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Given that Obama got it for nothing, should Trump now be awarded the Peace Prize on account of the great work he's done tempering little Rocket Man?

On the basis that he didn't start a nuclear war? I'd honestly set the bar a little higher. I mean, by that standard, I should be in with a shot myself.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Given that Obama got it for nothing, should Trump now be awarded the Peace Prize on account of the great work he's done tempering little Rocket Man?

No

Even if he brings an end to the conflict, disbands their nuke programmes & open up the North, he still wouldn't.

At best, a joint award with the two Korean leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Billy86 wrote: »
    True enough, and to be honest I don't mind drone strikes going up on their own. Usually they are replacing soldiers in the ground as that technology becomes more readily available. I don't like them, but I also don't like boots on the ground or more traditional airstrikes etc.

But I do find it funny how it was such a huge issue for many (including many boardsies to the point if there being multiple threads on it in 2015 and 2016)... only to completely ignored as on January 2017 (or in some cases, celebrated as going down despite going up).

Well the argument would be that the Obama years saw a normalisation of extra judicial killing including of US citizens by a president that was at least initially adored for his credentials in terms of social justice etc.
    Somebody on the right that continues this policy isn't as big a deal especially considering the rise of ISIS and the much reduced numbers of troops on the ground from the highs under Obama

Trump will not end wars. He will only make them worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trump will not end wars. He will only make them worse.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that, quite the opposite in fact.

He is probably the least foreign focused U.S. President in 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Done more than Obama in 1 year than he did in 8. Stunning scenes and frankly surreal seeing him meet the North Korean leader and only good things can come out of it and slowly but surely North Korea will open up in the world to commerce. So yes he should get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

He has managed to contain rocket man without firing a bullet so why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

ask the Palestinians

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that, quite the opposite in fact.

He is probably the least foreign focused U.S. President in 50 years.

He has zero aptitude for politics. He's a businessman/reality star who only won because of the Electoral College. He's no more cut out to be President than Laura Whitmore is Taoiseach/PROI or Katie Hopkins is to be Prime Minister. He doesn't seem like a very pleasant person either. People don't hate him for nothing. President in name only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

He has zero aptitude for politics. He's a businessman/reality star who only won because of the Electoral College. He's no more cut out to be President than Laura Whitmore is Taoiseach/PROI or Katie Hopkins is to be Prime Minister. He doesn't seem like a very pleasant person either. People don't hate him for nothing. President in name only.

Sorry, I didn't realise you had to study for a 4 year degree in order to become President.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

None of that is relevant, it isn't secondary school/

He is actually President, he gets to sit in the chair and make the decisions, so how is he President in name only?

He has pulled off this, so he has some aptitude, he had more aptitude than the Democrats did in putting Clinton forward, the one candidate that could make a New York billionaire seem an outsider and less establishment.

Trump can rely on the people who hate him and they might just well get him re-elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sorry, I didn't realise you had to study for a 4 year degree in order to become President.
    Strawmam argument.

You still haven't put forward a stronger argument than 'Obama got one'.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

He has pulled off this, so he has some aptitude

Some may say it's just a little point, he hasn't pulled off anything.....yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Out of curiosity who else could possibly be in the running for the NPP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Some may say it's just a little point, he hasn't pulled off anything.....yet!

Still can't see why he's getting the credit. It was the Koreans that wanted a meeting.

The Americans jumped at the chance because the mid terms are coming up and they've literally done nothing since the election other than awarding themselves a tax cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

And funny enough he's done a damn site better job than his most recent predecessors who supposedly were more qualified what does that say then perhaps the public want less a politician and more someone they can actually relate to such as Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do people seriously think a person should be nominated for a Nobel prize for turning up at a meeting, having lunch and signing a non committal and wide open to interpretation agreement?

I really think more substantial achievements should be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I still struggle to see why Trump meeting Kim is so laudable, NK has been trying to meet a president of the US for years and it was avoided as it gave too much legitimacy to a violent dictator.

Trump has met with Kim, granting him legitimacy, given concessions on war games and got precisely nothing in return. The words of the agreement say;

"work towards the denucleurisation of the korean peninsula" first of all that is a flimsy promise as best that is very similar to the wording of the 2005 agreement and saying the Korean peninsula instead of NK means that the US would have to reduce some of its capability in the area which is never going to happen in tandem.

Well the argument would be that the Obama years saw a normalisation of extra judicial killing including of US citizens by a president that was at least initially adored for his credentials in terms of social justice etc.
    Somebody on the right that continues this policy isn't as big a deal especially considering the rise of ISIS and the much reduced numbers of troops on the ground from the highs under Obama
    That doesn't explain how some people were so, so concerned about it right up until January 2017 when they instantly stopped. What we know now though, is those people never cared at all about drones in the first place.

Mutant z wrote: »
    And funny enough he's done a damn site better job than his most recent predecessors who supposedly were more qualified what does that say then perhaps the public want less a politician and more someone they can actually relate to such as Trump.

I suppose we should just get Denis O'Brien to run this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This can't be true. Can it? It just seems so bizzare. I've found it referenced on a few sites and honestly it sounds like someone has done the greatest trolling ever. Beacuse it can't be true

https://gizmodo.com/president-trump-made-a-fake-movie-trailer-for-kim-jong-1826755454
    President Trump and Kim Jong Un had a historic private meeting earlier today in Singapore. And while we don’t know exactly what was said between the two men, we do know that Trump played a video for Kim on his iPad. The video was created to look like a Hollywood movie trailer and it’s honestly pretty bizarre.

The fake trailer, complete with sweeping music and a dramatic voiceover, imagines a world where Trump and Kim have brought peace. And it even includes the phrase, “Destiny Pictures presents...” as though it was a real movie trailer. There is a real “Destiny Pictures” in existence but it has a .biz domain and doesn’t appear to have any relationship with the White House.

The fake movie trailer was also played for reporters shortly before Trump took the stage for a press conference in Singapore earlier today. Movies are a universal language, but it really is a weird format for diplomacy. This is probably the first time that a global superpower has made a fake movie trailer to try and convince an adversary to make peace.

Advertisement