Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Haven't seen the movie yet but last Friday on Nationwide they were at a furnace (iron ore) festival in Woodford Galway. During the program they interviewed briefly an elderly but sprightly gentleman who visits from the USA each summer. Turns out he was the engineer who designed the rocket motor that lifted the Apollo 11 Lunar Module off the moon. He spent a day with Armstrong and Aldrin explaining the working to them. I imagine he'd be great company in a pub of a wet evening with a roaring fire and a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

And what were they thinking casting that bald lad for Buzz Aldrin ?
    Buzz is almost 90 and has still a full head of hair on him !!

Was thinking the same and took me a while in the movie to figure it out that that was Buzz. I wouldn't mind, but the same actor has been known to wear a hair piece when required. :)

I really enjoyed it I must say, I was slightly disappointed that Neil Armstrong didn't say "..... and good luck Mr. Gorsky" after the famous first words. :p

I heard him say it ! Honest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Was thinking the same and took me a while in the movie to figure it out that that was Buzz. I wouldn't mind, but the same actor has been known to wear a hair piece when required. :)

I heard him say it ! Honest. :pac:

It's my favourite urban myth :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Stratvs wrote: »
    Haven't seen the movie yet but last Friday on Nationwide they were at a furnace (iron ore) festival in Woodford Galway. During the program they interviewed briefly an elderly but sprightly gentleman who visits from the USA each summer. Turns out he was the engineer who designed the rocket motor that lifted the Apollo 11 Lunar Module off the moon. He spent a day with Armstrong and Aldrin explaining the working to them. I imagine he'd be great company in a pub of a wet evening with a roaring fire and a few pints.

Absolutely, I could talk to him for hours !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

And what were they thinking casting that bald lad for Buzz Aldrin ?

Buzz-Aldrin.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Pelvis wrote: »
    Buzz-Aldrin.jpg

My brother I very bald but he lets the hair grow and looks like he is not bald

• Registered Users Posts: 17 daywatcher

It's not doing well at the American box office since it's up against Venom and some other blockbuster movie. Plus no flag planting pisses off the flag-waving Americans.

The Right Stuff did lousy box office too when it was released back in 1983. After it was nominated for 8 Oscars it was re-released in cinemas a week before the Oscar Ceremony and did amazingly well.

Maybe the same tactic will be used with First Man.

The Right Stuff went on the be a classic highly-regarded movie. My guess is that First Man will be seen as a classic in 20-30 years.

I don't think it's a movie that will appeal to the teen/20-something audiences that are the main cinema goers. Half of them believe we never went to the Moon anyway and it was all faked by Stanley Kubrick on a Hollywood soundstage. First Man appeals to space enthusiasts and those who were alive at the time of the Moon Landing. If the Lunar Lander wasn't shot down by invading aliens, today's cinema goers ain't interested.

My brother I very bald but he lets the hair grow and looks like he is not bald

He kept what he had very well - recent picture. A guy totally bald on top was a bit strange. buzz-aldrin.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Pretty much the only thing I liked about this movie was Claire Foy. She gave an amazing performance.

Ryan Gosling was just... Ryan Gosling. Very wooden acting. Maybe that's an accurate portrayal of Neil Armstrong, but it doesn't make for good entertainment. There was far too much up close shakey camera action for my liking. And ffs how hard is it to pronouce gemini...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

woodchuck wrote: »
    Pretty much the only thing I liked about this movie was Claire Foy. She gave an amazing performance.

Ryan Gosling was just... Ryan Gosling. Very wooden acting. Maybe that's an accurate portrayal of Neil Armstrong, but it doesn't make for good entertainment. There was far too much up close shakey camera action for my liking. And ffs how hard is it to pronouce gemini...

New York Times, Apr 1965:

18firstman-gemini-tear-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

p to the e wrote: »
    sovcosm.png

It's simplistic to simply show landing on the moon as a solitary achievement. There was a litany of accomplishments needed to be completed in order to enable that. Project Gemini was effectively a dress rehearsal for Apollo to perfect the techniques such as rendezvous in earth orbit before doing that over the moon. A great book about how it was achieved is 'How Apollo flew to the Moon'. Technical and brilliantly detailed.

As regards the flag controversy, recall that when Apollo 8 orbited the moon that a woman tried to sue NASA after the crew read from the book of Genesis on Christmas Eve. She was appalled that a tax funded venture was mixing church and state. Imagine being so small minded that after seeing other people 1/4 of a million miles away capable of reaching your ears and deciding to sue (unsuccessfully). There will always be someone to bitch, moan and complain while being blindsided to the bigger picture and such people are best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

valoren wrote: »
    It's simplistic to simply show landing on the moon as a solitary achievement. There was a litany of accomplishments needed to be completed in order to enable that.

Couldn't you say that about each of the major Soviet achievements? Anyhoo I put it up more in jest than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

p to the e wrote: »
    Couldn't you say that about each of the major Soviet achievements? Anyhoo I put it up more in jest than anything else.

Not really, all the Soviet accomplishments were just the same thing repeated over and over. First man, first woman, first two man crew, they were essentially the same orbital flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That was an extremely well made, well told story with good performances throughout. I am not sure how much I liked it though. It gave me the same feeling that I got from Dunkirk in that it was from a different perspective than I am used to and my neanderthal brain was craving for a Michael bay version of the story.

Instead it was more intimate than visceral with up close steady cams the weapon of choice. I also never imagined up close shots of pivot joints imperfectly done to create such an air of fear and tension. They really were just thrown into a tin can and pegged out to space.

The score was also excellent, but with chazelles background I was expecting that.

That was an extremely well made, well told story with good performances throughout. I am not sure how much I liked it though. It gave me the same feeling that I got from Dunkirk in that it was from a different perspective than I am used to and my neanderthal brain was craving for a Michael bay version of the story.

:eek:

Good god!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I actually enjoyed this. It was told from the astronauts perspective. It showed the toll the death of their colleagues had on them. They had to live with knowledge the themselves might not live through it.
    I did not think social commentary about two thirds the way through was justified.

Tony EH wrote: »

Good god!

They didn't actually land on the moon (conspiracy theorists were correct). They actually landed on cybertron and when they plant the flag it's actually them hooking into the alien computer to download a virus which... you know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Tony EH wrote: »

Good god!

I understand your reaction completely and am utterly ashamed of myself.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

The First Man – 4/10

Damien Chazelle has now made three films that have all been very well received by critics. Whiplash is a 10/10 film for me and I enjoyed La La Land (although I wasn’t crazy about it).  This is the first film of his that didn’t really do anything for me. 

Gosling’s performance is understated to the point where it just isn’t engaging. Claire Foy puts in a great performance, but I had no investment in her character at all. All the scenes on earth were extremely flat and the attempt at an emotional connection didn’t land. 

It was a very dull decision to focus on his family life. Instead, they should’ve focused on his relationship with his peers and fellow astronauts, but that would’ve made it difficult to have a strong female lead which seems to be prerequisite for any mainstream film in 2018. They could’ve explored his time serving the military, the aftermath of the landing… anything but his dull family life.

A movie about such a huge event in human history should be able to appeal equally to space enthusiasts and those who only have a passing interest. This just didn’t grab me at all and my other half was even less impressed. We were both struggling to stay awake after about 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Very good movie. Not sure that the schmaltz added anything, but it wasnt too intrusive either way. Only weak point was the soundtrack, which was fine in isolation, but too redolent of La La Land. The composer needs to find a new musical phrase, and stop recycling so quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't think I'll ever get over the sheer beauty and wonder of space on screen. It's hard to put words on it. This felt like two films to me, or at least two squashed together. I wouldn't say that was a fundamental complaint as such, just felt it in the execution. We have the preparation element firstly, then when he went to the White House/there was bad PR, protests, etc, is where it seemed to shift gear and had a different air about it (imo), as a film, not just the space race.

Kyle Chandler - when he locks onto you in a job interview with just a look, you know about it. Actually, a lot of it's built on eye contact. Yes, props to Claire Foy too. It's quite an emotive piece at times, even with the difficult moments. The archive stuff was not overused and I liked the news anchor voices bubbling away in there too. It's quite intimate too, I liked the little details like the texture of the moon. It really was just a tin can with a ton of fuel on board (and buttons, switches) and a remarkable achievement. There was still a good deal I didn't know about...
    the plug test/fire was horrendous - devastating. And just other stuff I liked - such as when Chandler cut the radio feed to the house, the chat with his two kids...

As to those who had issues with Gosling's performance - or frustration with the depiction of Armstrong, I heard Chazelle address this in an interview with Fresh Air (NPR) describing it as "mid-Western grit". And Ron Livingston (not in the film) said something very similar on the Off Camera Show recently. Surely, whether accurate to Armstrong or not, the film was at pains to point out the man was almost drowning in his own work ethic, grief, silence, non-communication and avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Shred

I loved this when I saw it back in October and meant to catch it again before it left the cinema but didn't manage to. It was a little slow to start but once it got going I was absolutely gripped by it, the
    daughter
    motif was used quite well I thought and brought a huge amount of emotional weight to the film for me personally (
    I didn't lose a child but I am a father!
    ). I adored the landing squence and how the score tied in with it and ended up listening to the score on repeat for a couple of weeks afterwards as a result. I've just pre-ordered the 4k disc and can't wait to see it again.
    That's 3 out of 3 excellent movies from Chazelle for me and I look forward to what he does in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Listening to the score. It's really good.

Spot the temp track:

didn't know it was the same director as Whiplash which is my favourite movie of the last 10 years personally.

I thought that this was just plain boring.

Maybe Armstrong was a sort of reserved character in reality but the Gosling portrayal was just so uninspiring and hard to get behind really and was a real tune-out factor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This was pretty good but be warned:

It is NOT about the space race/moon landings. This is, as the title suggests, about Armstrong himself and his friends/family.

I enjoyed the movie. I'm not a Gosling fan - All the characters he plays have limited/no emotional range. But in this case it works. As I said in a previous post, Armstrong himself was very reserved and quiet.

If someone is looking for a decent movie/series about the Apollo programme I suggest HBO's From the Earth to The Moon. It's quite old now (Strange to look at a 4:3 show nowadays) but it is a good watch with typical HBO/Tom Hanks (Band of Brothers teamup) attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

This was pretty good but be warned:

It is NOT about the space race/moon landings. This is, as the title suggests, about Armstrong himself and his friends/family.

I enjoyed the movie. I'm not a Gosling fan - All the characters he plays have limited/no emotional range. But in this case it works. As I said in a previous post, Armstrong himself was very reserved and quiet.

If someone is looking for a decent movie/series about the Apollo programme I suggest HBO's From the Earth to The Moon. It's quite old now (Strange to look at a 4:3 show nowadays) but it is a good watch with typical HBO/Tom Hanks (Band of Brothers teamup) attention to detail.

The fifth episode 'Spider' was a standout for me. Detailing the development of the Lunar Module by Grumann and Cameron from 'Ferris Bueller' arguing for Lunar Orbit Rendezvous. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Great film.

Laughable that people would think Armstrong or Gosling's portrayal of him is boring.

There would probably be no original moon landing without Armstrong, the guy had nerves of steel and was very understated, just as Gosling played him. He wasn't interested in being flash or famous, just getting the job done.

Going to the moon was the ultimate going into the unknown and if Armstrong or his crew messed up by a few seconds or a few yards, they were toast with no hope of rescue. So it was as much about survival as setting foot on the moon.

The film captured all the difficulties and highs and lows of going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

God I loved seeing this on the big screen in a completely blacked out cinema. Watching it on YT doesn't really come close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Conchir wrote: »
    God I loved seeing this on the big screen in a completely blacked out cinema. Watching it on YT doesn't really come close.

Riveting stuff. The fractal nature of the surface means you can't tell how high you are.

I thought it was wonderful overall. Thoughtful, well shot. Think of it primarily as a biography, and the tensions in the family are meaningful.

Flaw: a bit too much of the 'jerk the camera round and then zoom in' technique. Why has that become so common?

Advertisement