Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Didn't realise it was Chazelle who made this. Will bump it up the list of movies I now need to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Tony EH wrote: »
    I know but in terms of anticipation, loads of film threads on here with hundreds of posts before they come out

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that most people will know or have a good idea of how this film (or much of it) will play out, already in their heads.

It'll probably barely touch upon his time in Korea, then as a test pilot and then onto the Gemini and Apollo programs.

Its actually a good mixture of the personal and the technical, Armstrong doesnt come accross as a total automotom. I recommend seeing it on the biggest screen possible the flight/space flight scenes are very viscarel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its actually a good mixture of the personal and the technical, Armstrong doesnt come accross as a total automotom. I recommend seeing it on the biggest screen possible the flight/space flight scenes are very viscarel.

Please tell me it has not been released in 3D and is a 2D only film.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Where's the best place to see this in Dublin?

Normally I'd have headed to Dundrum but it's not on in the mezz.

Stella arnt showing it.

Edit. Been meaning to go see something in the lighthouse. Would that be a good spot for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Where's the best place to see this in Dublin?

Normally I'd have headed to Dundrum but it's not on in the mezz.

Stella arnt showing it.

Edit. Been meaning to go see something in the lighthouse. Would that be a good spot for it?

don't know about best, but the Isense screen at the Point is a good one for visual movies. Was going to go Sat night but seems like there is something on at the arena so the car parking will be a pain.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was interested to see how Damien Chazelle would handle a film that wasn't about the world of music, so I was caught off guard by how musical this film actually. I don't mean it's a musical, but music - and the broader soundscape, which often encompasses long stretches of relative silence - feels like it drives this film in terms of tone and pace. From a superb, politically-charged sequence scored to Gil Scott Heron's Whitey on the Moon to the sense of isolation created by Justin Hurwitz's eloquent use of the theremin, it's a film that has a propelling musical pulse, despite it all seeming to be a world (or, ahem, satellite) away from the material Chazelle has tackled before. And it properly gets the sounds of space travel too - whether that's the creaking of metal or the overwhelming absence of noise on the lunar surface.

It's one of the first films I've seen that seems to have been directly influenced by Christopher Nolan stylistically (which isn't to say it's derivative, because this has its own character). It's actually strange that that's the case, given how successful Nolan has been. But this has the same enthusiasm for cinematic form, and in crafting a proper big screen experience. And yet one or two well-judged exceptions aside, I think this largely foregoes traditional blockbuster spectacle in favour of something much more intimate. It's an uncomfortably confined film at times, very much determined to stay within the characters' space - which is often a very cramped space indeed! But thanks to the camera getting right up in there and hugely forceful editing / sound design the whole thing roars at the same time without ever devolving into a mess of SFX (indeed, even in the clearly enhanced scenes the illusion is almost always absolutely convincing).

That intimacy isn't just to save money or anything: it's also informed by the story being told. Ryan Gosling isn't the most expressive actor in the world, let's be honest - but this film uses that to its advantage. Neil Armstrong here is an elusive, insular figure - using the space programme as a way to fight through grief, even when the programme brings its own share of trauma. Gosling's performance is well contrasted with Claire Foy's, who plays his first wife as a force of nature unwilling to let her husband completely disappear into his own obsession. Whether any of this is super true-to-life I couldn't tell you - but it makes for some good old character-driven drama!

I tend to be rather cynical about biopics and historical dramas, and there are absolutely stretches in this that are fairly traditional, uninspiring fare. But Chazelle isn't content to let this just become a straightforward bit of historical hagiography, like many films before it - this boasts a considerable amount more flair than I for one was anticipating, which is always a welcome surprise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Lighthouse is pretty much always the best spot for any film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I found it very dull and boring to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Beau wrote: »
    I found it very dull and boring to be honest.

Theres no hope for you so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

It's not getting great ratings on imdb, but I suspect that could be from unhappy yanks about now planting the flag scene ..

IMDB ratings are to trustworthiness as America is to sensible political discourse - i.e. not very.

Also: you clearly see the flag. Anyone who gets offended that it’s not shown being planted is at best manufacturing fake outrage, and at worst is Marco Rubio. Frankly, if I was a raging republican, I’d be more concerned about the (excellent) sequence where it’s basically pointed out the whole space programme was a costly, arrogant propaganda exercise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

Why shouldn't the Americans be delighted about the flag being planted on the moon? They were there first! Actually no one else has been there! Since the early 70s. They did something amazing. Fair dues to those lads and lasses

• Registered Users Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

emo72 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't the Americans be delighted about the flag being planted on the moon? They were there first! Actually no one else has been there! Since the early 70s. They did something amazing. Fair dues to those lads and lasses

Because when that's all you can take from the achievement, there's something wrong.

Because when that's all you can take from the achievement, there's something wrong.

But it's not. They put 12 men up there. Is that not epic?

emo72 wrote: »
    But it's not. They put 12 men up there. Is that not epic?

By why reduce that epic achievement down to merely planting a flag?

By why reduce that epic achievement down to merely planting a flag?

I don't. It's just symbolic I guess.

Again: you clearly see the flag. Demanding a scene where it's overtly planted - as some have - is nothing more than empty jingoism.

Anyway, this isn't a film about the nationalistic glory of the American space programme. It's an intimate character study about one of the people involved in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

The flag controversy is embarrassing for the idiots that took offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

eh ... no I don't think that's all they are taking from it!

It was an iconic moment, and Hollywood hates Trump and patriotism so much that they leave that ICONIC moment out of the film, they should have just left the launch itself out too.

Really sad how divided that country has become, I can't ever see it recover.

• Advertisement

The "iconic" moment is stepping out onto the moon's surface for the first time. Nobody outside small mind America gives a crap about their flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Deceptively simple piece from Justin Hurwitz, but fit the scene so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

The "iconic" moment is stepping out onto the moon's surface for the first time. Nobody outside small mind America gives a crap about their flag.

Thats the biggest moment for sure, I think even patriotic Americans would agree but the flag planting is still huge!!
    Still a good film though, I would not let it spoil it for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Do you think if the Russians got there first, and 50 years later they were making a film about it, they'd leave out the planting of the flag...?

edit: Do you think if the Russians got there first, they wouldn't have planted their own flag?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    eh ... no I don't think that's all they are taking from it!

It was an iconic moment, and Hollywood hates Trump and patriotism so much that they leave that ICONIC moment out of the film, they should have just left the launch itself out too.

Really sad how divided that country has become, I can't ever see it recover.

Leaving aside the confirmation that the flag IS on the film and Fox News & its ilk is doing its usual rounds of patriotism outrage ...

Considering "Hollywood" has to aim at an international audience for its monetary success these days, downplaying American jingoism has been a policy that predates the Trump presidency. Heck many big blockbusters are propped with Chinese money now, China being the country to coddle, but why let that get in the way of a "damn liberal Hollywood" kicking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Damien Chazelle Is a seriously talented filmmaker. Brilliant movie. The whole space thing has been done to death. I went in expecting the usual NASA shtick, with Hidden Figures and The Martian so fresh in my mind, I went into this with a hint of trepidation, and was pleasantly surprised to find one of the best movies of the year. It’s not your usual space movie, it’s a movie that takes a look at human nature, it really emphasizes the point that these were just normal guys, doing their job and attempting to do something very complex, something that was never done before, there was no blueprint, just best effort from a bunch of people who believed they could send a man to the moon. The story is so famous, the human element gets lost on people, the astronauts knew there was a strong possibility they may not return, and this movie does an amazing job of showing this. Chazelle should take huge pride in this, and shows that the story doesn’t really matter, it’s all about the execution and how you tell it, and he tells it brilliantly.

Do you think if the Russians got there first, and 50 years later they were making a film about it, they'd leave out the planting of the flag...?

edit: Do you think if the Russians got there first, they wouldn't have planted their own flag?

Who'd give a shit? The same apathy would apply to Russia.

The thing of import is the fact that a man stepped onto the moon, a celestial body that we've viewed from afar for the entirety of our existence. That's what matters. Not who did it.

Yuri Gargarin is celebrated as the first human in space. Nobody, outside of jingoistic politicos that want to make nationality a big deal, gives a damn where he came from.

In any case, the flag is in the film. So, there's even less of a non-story here and even less reason to give a crap. It's a nothing story from the American right to try and generate some petty point scoring.

Talk about "fake news". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Who'd give a shit? The same apathy would apply to Russia.

The thing of import is the fact that a man stepped onto the moon, a celestial body that we've viewed from afar for the entirety of our existence. That's what matters. Not who did it.

Yuri Gargarin is celebrated as the first human in space. Nobody, outside of jingoistic politicos that want to make nationality a big deal, gives a damn where he came from.

In any case, the flag is in the film. So, there's even less of a non-story here and even less reason to give a crap. It's a nothing story from the American right to try and generate some petty point scoring.

Talk about "fake news". :rolleyes:

I think once again, it’s the people who haven’t watched these films that are ones making these ridiculous complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was a good film, I found myself yawning through parts of it so for me the pacing was off or possibly lacked a but of humour or something. Also they could have shortened other parts of the movie and had longer scenes on the moon. Was there even one scene in the movie where the camera wasn't hand held?, pretentious crap if you ask me.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

sovcosm.png

Advertisement