Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre-worn tyres - never again! Lucky escape!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

In conclusion

People need to drive carefully and not speed

People need to take responsibility for their driving and not blame the tyres !

People need to accept that the brand marketing have brain washed them

Hard luck bullsh1tter.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

If it was anything remotely high there would be awareness off it similar to drink driving, fatigue, phones etc

But there is not

There was a road safety ad on the radio recently and it highlighted tyres as a leading cause of accidents!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I didn't read the whole thread but I had a part worn tyre do the exact same thing. It was my spare so didn't notice till I got a puncture. So put in on the car and then went back to the supplier and I was told I didn't buy that here bud we've never had that brand in a part worn. It was a Michelin or something. Had to begrudingly buy a new tyre off them as I didn't want to drive on the dodgy one. Never again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Captcha wrote: »
    There was a road safety ad on the radio recently and it highlighted tyres as a leading cause of accidents!

Nobody is disputing that tyres can be a factor in accidents.

How can they be a factor if all rubber compound is created equal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RiseToMe wrote: »
    I work in compliance (not tyres) and the Chinese have a a "China Export" logo which they use - literally just a logo that requires no testing, no standards, no need to be registered etc.

It is a carbon copy of the CE mark bar that the spacing is closer together.

It doesn't even mean China Export. Its just fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

How can they be a factor if all rubber compound is created equal?

That is an argument you have created .

Similar to the f1 and Isle of Man yet racing arguments that have no relevance to this discussion

I am saying that there are lots and lots of cheap tyres that are every bit as good as the more expensive ones

They are certainly and 100% not dangerous either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I bought a Saab from my brother a year or two back. He’d had triangle tyres fitted when he was stuck for new tyres - €300 for the set. The things were lethal in anything approaching spirited driving, car constantly broke traction, horrible understeer. My father even noticed it when he used the car - and he wasn’t at the stage in his life where he was rallying cars.

I replaced them with Uniroyals, which were actually cheaper - but a midrange brand - and the car was transformed.

It’s not a pissing contest regarding who spends more on their tyres, but the reality is that not all tyres are the same, and the chinese crap is generally a false economy.

kdevitt wrote: »
    I bought a Saab from my brother a year or two back. He’d had triangle tyres fitted when he was stuck for new tyres - €300 for the set. The things were lethal in anything approaching spirited driving, car constantly broke traction, horrible understeer. My father even noticed it when he used the car - and he wasn’t at the stage in his life where he was rallying cars.

I replaced them with Uniroyals, which were actually cheaper - but a midrange brand - and the car was transformed.

It’s not a pissing contest regarding who spends more on their tyres, but the reality is that not all tyres are the same, and the chinese crap is generally a false economy.

So a set of “triangles “ equates to dismissing all Chinese branded tyres?

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Power pants is though.

• Advertisement

Similar to the f1 and Isle of Man yet racing arguments that have no relevance to this discussion

I am saying that there are lots and lots of cheap tyres that are every bit as good as the more expensive ones

Sure what would you know you bought a tyre based on a visual inspection.

Sure what would you know you bought a tyre based on a visual inspection.

Well, perhaps worded loosely. I “ looked” at the tyre , felt it etc

100% fine too

Tyres have come a long way from such motor sports.

Of course huge money is spent on sponsorship and advertising but sure if they didn't they wouldn't sell.

It's like here in Ireland where Irish rail advertise rail travel when there is no other openings for example.

Coke spends millions and really doesn't need to but they do anyway.

All I asked you was to contact people in road racing or even on the track. I will tell you for a fact they will not have Chinese rubbish fitted.

Years ago I bought a brand new scooter and it was in for a service and while there they fitted a Tyre that was shocking bad.

It wouldn't grip at all and it lasted me less then a week as it caused me to skid off in the wet.

100% fine too

Magic touch on you. Looking for a job in rubber quality checking?

Magic touch on you. Looking for a job in rubber quality checking?

Well I don’t believe that cheap tyres are dangerous , they have been approved and that’s that.

Well I don’t believe that cheap tyres are dangerous , they have been approved and that’s that.

Fair enough. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

100% fine too

Jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

So a set of “triangles “ equates to dismissing all Chinese branded tyres?

I see.

No, it was one relevant example, that’s how this works. I’d be typing a long time on my phone if I had to go through my history of cars and how they respond to different tyres in different scenarios.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Jesus christ

I don’t believe in him. What is your point?

100% fine too
    I don’t believe in him. What is your point?

The stupidity of the fact that you think you can tell if a tyre has good stopping quality and grip based on looking and feeling it.

• Advertisement

The stupidity of the fact that you think you can tell if a tyre has good stopping quality and grip based on looking and feeling it.

Oh. The tyre is perfect for driving.

Should I have asked for a trial before I bought?

I don’t believe stupidly comes into it

Oh. The tyre is perfect for driving.

Should I have asked for a trial before I bought?

I don’t believe stupidly comes into it

No you should have done the smart thing and read a few tyre reviews online so you knew what you were buying.

No you should have done the smart thing and read a few tyre reviews online so you knew what you were buying.

No need. Tyres are approved to be sold in this country. I know they will be good

He has shares in China rubber..

Just because something is approved with an e mark does not give it the meaning it's any good.

No need. Tyres are approved to be sold in this country. I know they will be good

What regulation is stopping distance approved under?

It's like here in Ireland where Irish rail advertise rail travel when there is no other openings for example.

Irish rail compete for passengers with buses, car travel, and air travel.
    All I asked you was to contact people in road racing or even on the track. I will tell you for a fact they will not have Chinese rubbish fitted.

They're not driving Hyundai i40's on a shopping run either, what's your point here?

If I was looking to set a best lap time in my car I wouldn't be doing it with *any* brand of standard road tyres on it!?!? I'd be using track specific race tyres.

If your point is that tyres specifically engineered for racing, grip better on track, than mixed use road tyres, then I completely concede that.

They're not driving Hyundai i40's on a shopping run either, what's your point here?

If I was looking to set a best lap time in my car I wouldn't be doing it with *any* brand of standard road tyres on it!?!? I'd be using track specific race tyres.

If your point is that tyres specifically engineered for racing, grip better on track, than mixed use road tyres, then I completely concede that.

You’re i40 is at the limit of grip in an emergency braking situation. That’s why it is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think you can counteract any ill-effects of Chinese tyres with a Japanese steering wheel and German brakes.

Road racers don't use track tyres.

If you can't understand what I wrote then I can't help you.

I was using as comparison to be blunt.

Yes Irish rail has buses and coaches etc. It just seams a waste of money like coke advertising for example.

If one thinks cheap tyres which can be gotten for €40 fitted are good then best of luck to them and anyone around them.

• Advertisement

You’re i40 is at the limit of grip in an emergency braking situation. That’s why it is relevant.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai.

Cheap Korean rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement