Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre-worn tyres - never again! Lucky escape!

Options
  • 05-06-2018 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I use to think that the scare mongering was just aired by those in the business of retailing new tyres and i had purchased pre-worn on 2 occasions and was one of those that thought those that paid full whack for tyres were crazy. I now stand corrected.

I took a trip down to Ennis from Dublin (Fast motorway the whole way) and thought i heard a slight rubbing noise when i slowed down at the toll booth - thought it was calipers/shoes as I knew they were coming up for replacement on next service. anyways mechanic did service and told me he'd never seen a tyre like it before :eek:

Be careful people, nobody knows the exact reason why these tyres are imported and sold off, probably in a crash and had wall damage that could not be picked up by the eye as i was shown it before i paid for it, Thread looked good and thought it was a no brainer!!!!
    Purchased from a well established retailer of new and used tyres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Wow! You are lucky you didn't kill yourself or somebody else. FWIW it's worth, I only buy good quality branded tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Inviere

tommytee wrote: »
    I use to think that the scare mongering was just aired by those in the business of retailing new tyres

Same goes for cheap Chinese tires, even when they're new. Having been in a car that aquaplaned & spun, I can safely say I'll never, ever, buy anything other than reputable tires (Triangle were the brand in question).

That pic is scary, you're blessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Check the inside of your tyre well for anything sticking out - the split looks very uniform all the way round imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

What's the date on the tire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

That appears to be mechanical damage rather than tyre wall failure which generally happens in just one place. To have a tyre fail in 3 places at the same time is highly unlikely and some of the edges of the cut look too sharp to be a blow-out. There are also no fibres/threads visible which almost always are visible in a blow out but wouldn't if they were physically cut/sliced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Cheap tyres, spend what you can. Last line of defence between you and road.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

Normally i do buy new but on 2 occasions in opted for a pre worn, i got two new Hankooks for the front and fitter said that one rear should be swapped out for this dodgy yoke .......
    its a goodyear tyre - and is still holding pressure (30psi approx) I was unaware of tyre issue until mechanic had up on ramp to do brakes.
    nothing rubbing against it, year is 2013, off the rear of an A6

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭deletthis

Something sharp has been run round the inside of that, no question. Either something inside the wheel arch or something went wrong at fitting.

That said, sentiment is true - why play cheap with the only bit of your two ton steel box that is keeping you in a straight line?

deletthis wrote: »
    Something sharp has been run round the inside of that, no question. Either something inside the wheel arch or something went wrong at fitting...........

Maybe of the car it came off :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Maybe of the car it came off :)

Yep could be although you'd hope fitter would notice!

• Advertisement

deletthis wrote: »
    Something sharp has been run round the inside of that, no question. Either something inside the wheel arch or something went wrong at fitting.

That said, sentiment is true - why play cheap with the only bit of your two ton steel box that is keeping you in a straight line?

I think mechanic would have easily spotted something from my car if it was the cause , went through its NCT in march so wasnt visible then

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Inviere wrote: »
    Same goes for cheap Chinese tires, even when they're new. Having been in a car that aquaplaned & spun, I can safely say I'll never, ever, buy anything other than reputable tires (Triangle were the brand in question).

That pic is scary, you're blessed!

Had the same experience with triangles driving normally in wet conditions and all of a sudden I was pointing the wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

100% this tyre was driven on while low on pressure for some time and NOT damaged by something in the wheel well.

Theres ALWAYS a reason why someone removes tyres from their car to replace with new ones......

Check the inside of your tyre well for anything sticking out - the split looks very uniform all the way round imo.

interesting read http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/222

oddly enough another Goodyear (surely they mean Badyear)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

deletthis wrote:

Absolutely incorrect.

100% dried out old rubber driven on while low on pressure.

tommytee wrote: »
    interesting read http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/222

oddly enough another Goodyear (surely they mean Badyear)

What is the DOT code on yours?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    How many people do you think work in the tyre business in here? Any time I see people saying "Tyres are all the same etc" threads I go off on a tangent as I have seen what cheap tyres can do.

you know what i mean ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

Cannot understand why people are purchasing Chinese tyres or part worn tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Mentality of buying cheapest on a 25 k car carrying your family on daily basis is truly gubu.If you dig deeper relatively speaking you are not paying astonomical extra to get 4 decent ones on.Most places give a fair discount for set of 4.At 50 k km on mine a few months ago i got mic helin pilot sport 4 s on each corner 17 in for 435 with free tracking and balancing thrown in.Excellent tyre and security of knowing that you are not going to be playing russian roulette on ice,wet etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I can understand someone doing big mileage not wanting to splash out, but no matter what driving you do it's extremely important to have good tyres. You wouldn't wear shoes if you slipped all the time in the wet.

The Bridgestone Turanza T001 on my Golf are €83 a corner, plus fitting. I'll gladly pay that because they're a million times better than the Hankook Kinergy Eco on my mam's old i30 for example. I've pushed them hard through roundabouts at the industrial estate at work and they've held on. Barely lock up under slamming the brakes and handle well in the wet. The Hankooks would lock up frequently even in the dry. Lost traction going through a greasy junction at low speeds and shat a brick as the car stopped turning to head towards a fence.

I don't understand why people don't spend reasonable amounts on tyres. A decent pair of runners would cost €100, no reason not to spend €200 for the car.

Lads ,
    Where are you buying corners for your car?
    I wang around a few places and they all said they don't sell corners .
    Online I see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I can understand someone doing big mileage not wanting to splash out, but no matter what driving you do it's extremely important to have good tyres. You wouldn't wear shoes if you slipped all the time in the wet.

The Bridgestone Turanza T001 on my Golf are €83 a corner, plus fitting. I'll gladly pay that because they're a million times better than the Hankook Kinergy Eco on my mam's old i30 for example. I've pushed them hard through roundabouts at the industrial estate at work and they've held on. Barely lock up under slamming the brakes and handle well in the wet. The Hankooks would lock up frequently even in the dry. Lost traction going through a greasy junction at low speeds and shat a brick as the car stopped turning to head towards a fence.

I don't understand why people don't spend reasonable amounts on tyres. A decent pair of runners would cost €100, no reason not to spend €200 for the car.
    Because no one sees the tyres.... There's plenty of examples in life where people cheap out. From what I know pretty much all tyres are Chinese as in they are manufactured in China. There are some decent non big brand tyres but you want an experience fitter to know the difference and not sell you pigs in a bag. Definitely not second hand, absolute no no. No idea what their history is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bought them once and never again.

You get feck all mileage out of them and you have no idea what you're getting.

It may cost a bit more to get new mid-range/reliable tyres but at least you know the only things keeping you straight on the road are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Your gonna hear stories about dodgy part-worn tyres, and this is one of them. I've been using part-worns for over 10 years, using premium branded tyres every time. Only one time I had an issue, tyre had a slow puncture, shop just swapped it for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭creedp

DaveyDave wrote: »

Because nobody admires premium quality tyres ... I'm considered a freak when I comment on car tyres .. very few care.

Recently parked behind a 131 A6 owned by a solicitor ... noticed car was in perfect nick until I looked at the rear passenger side tyre. I had to rub my eyes to confirm I wasn't imagining it .. but no there was literally no thread on the tyre .. a pure slick. Got out to look at rest of tyres and there were all individual no name brands at varying degrees of baldness. I would dread to think how that car would perform in an emergency on a wet road. But it doesn't matter as he is successful and can afford a nice car .. that's all that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How can you blame the tyre here, You heard a rubbing sound and they tyre has obviously been slit with something sharp!? Did your mechanic find out why it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

I bet there. Snow tyres and designed for much lower driving temperatures. And not designed for hot summer motorways at max speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I normally stick with Pirelli P1's but sometimes I'll pay an extra 20 or 30 quid a tyre to get a nicer thread pattern

• Advertisement

if it was something from the car
    either
    A: mechanic would spot it/somthing missing, car is 100 % fine
    b: it would have most likely scored the complete tyre as it rotated and not just 3 random slits in tyre

my conclusion is a dodgy Tyre from day 1, as someone mentioned why did it come off a car in the first place, there was a shed load of thread on it when purchased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement