Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre-worn tyres - never again! Lucky escape!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Turbohymac wrote: »
    I bet there. Snow tyres and designed for much lower driving temperatures. And not designed for hot summer motorways at max speed

The only issue is reduced performance when hot... Ireland doesn't have hot weather in that sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Turbohymac wrote: »
    I bet there. Snow tyres and designed for much lower driving temperatures. And not designed for hot summer motorways at max speed

Based on what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

On a side note,have the price of tyres gone up in price in the last year or so?

I'm pricing 255/35/R20 and they've gone up + €100 for 4 x Nexen which I find excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I normally stick with Pirelli P1's but sometimes I'll pay an extra 20 or 30 quid a tyre to get a nicer thread pattern

That's about the extent of it for me. Something with a cool looking thread. The asymmetrical ones look great peeping out from the wheelwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Based on what exactly?

Last set of tyres on van here were snow tyres.found them brilliant in wet and dry.and when you hit a big closh of water the thread pattern didn’t throw the water up on the screen.great lasting in them aswell.would definitely buy them again.they were bought new as not to confuse this thread title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Don’t believe your incident was down to buying pre worn tyres.

Also I drive with zeetex and have had zero issues in years of driving

A lot of scaremongering goes on when discussing tyres, seems like brand advertising expenditure isn’t wasted after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Looking at the OP's picture, the last time I saw a tyre damaged like that was caused by a front spring breaking, and the detached piece was spearing the tyre from the side.

But personally and from my own experiences with them, part worn tyres are at best a false economy and at worst, potentially dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

But personally and from my own experiences with them, part worn tyres are at best a false economy and at worst, potentially dangerous.

They are. It is not impossible to buy nice preused tyres, but getting two of same model, with acceptable age and not cracked is very difficult and not worth the hassle. Majority of the part worms should be disposed, as they were intended...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Inviere

A lot of scaremongering goes on when discussing tyres

I find that the people who take tires seriously, are those who have seen first hand how dangerous cheap tires can be, particularly in the wet. Without having that experience yourself, it's all going to sound a tad dramatic. I can safely say though, as one of the unlucky few who have experience of cheap Chinese tires (wasn't in my own car), I've definitely seen the light.

Inviere wrote: »
    I find that the people who take tires seriously, are those who have seen first hand how dangerous cheap tires can be, particularly in the wet. Without having that experience yourself, it's all going to sound a tad dramatic. I can safely say though, as one of the unlucky few who have experience of cheap Chinese tires (wasn't in my own car), I've definitely seen the light.

I have 23 years driving experience, I am either very fortunate or I drive appropriately to weather conditions.

Skidding or careless driving might be more the driver than the tyres in question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

The amount of people on here with absolutely no clue what they are talking about is astounding.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Robbierom

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I normally stick with Pirelli P1's but sometimes I'll pay an extra 20 or 30 quid a tyre to get a nicer thread pattern

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Inviere

I have 23 years driving experience, I am either very fortunate or I drive appropriately to weather conditions.

Skidding or careless driving might be more the driver than the tyres in question

Ah the old "yiz are bad drivers" chestnut. With 23 years driving experience, I'd expect you to realise it's a bit more complex than that. Sometimes the various factors involved in a low speed aquaplane can add up and become the perfect storm, without the driver doing any wrong whatsoever. I feel cheap Chinese tires exacerbate the potential of a low speed aquaplaning situation, having experienced one before (car was being driven well within the conditions on the day), and will therefore never risk buying them. If all your experience tells you otherwise, knock yourself out & stick with cheap ditch finders. Simple as really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

As I always say "would you buy second hand shoes?"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They should be made illegal imo. They can be as dangerous as remould tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is clearly cut lines in that picture. I have an old tyre in the back of the van that was driven on when flat. It does not have clean lines like in that picture. The rubber has been split mechanically and not by compression it's all in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Yes. Why not?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

listermint wrote:
    There is clearly cut lines in that picture. I have an old tyre in the back of the van that was driven on when flat. It does not have clean lines like in that picture. The rubber has been split mechanically and not by compression it's all in the picture.

You are 100% incorrect. 100%.

You have 1 tyre. I have seen at least 3 tyres like this per week for the last 10 years. It is an old tyre with dried out rubber that has been driven on while under inflated. That is it. No mystery. No broken springs. No blades cut it. Nothing other than what I have just said. This is the dangers of scrap tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That cuts clean. Then comes to a stop which is also cut clean. It's then cut further down to the left.

Also the threads left on the image looks crap anyway. Looks like a tyre that needed changing

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Ah the old "yiz are bad drivers" chestnut. With 23 years driving experience, I'd expect you to realise it's a bit more complex than that. Sometimes the various factors involved in a low speed aquaplane can add up and become the perfect storm, without the driver doing any wrong whatsoever. I feel cheap Chinese tires exacerbate the potential of a low speed aquaplaning situation, having experienced one before (car was being driven well within the conditions on the day), and will therefore never risk buying them. If all your experience tells you otherwise, knock yourself out & stick with cheap ditch finders. Simple as really.

Again I drive sensibly I don’t blame any poor driving on my tyres, that’s a pretty lame excuse. Never landed in a ditch or sailed off on some rogue wave either due to my tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

That's about the extent of it for me. Something with a cool looking thread. The asymmetrical ones look great peeping out from the wheelwell.

I used to buy yokohamas, can't remember the exact tyre but they had a pretty cool thread pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

How can you blame the tyre here, You heard a rubbing sound and they tyre has obviously been slit with something sharp!? Did your mechanic find out why it happened?

Obviously slit- u haven't a clue, yet still posted this. Yeah a cats eye slit it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You can see in between the cuts where the sidewall is weakened and delaminating. That tyre definitely looks like its been driven on the flat or way under inflated for a period of time.

I'm usually a firm advocater of part worns as being perfectly ok as every second hand car I've ever bought has had part worns on it. Unfortunately, one swallow doesnt make a summer one way or the other. That one was bad and I'm not saying that this is the case but there's nothing to say that this damage wasn't caused when the OP was using the tyre.

Screenshot_20180607-203953.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I'm usually a firm advocater of part worns as being perfectly ok as every second hand car I've ever bought has had part worns on it.

Not exactly. The car you've bought still has the tyres fitted. If you buy a part worn tyre it's been removed from a vehicle for a reason. It would be unusual and frankly illogical to remove a perfectly serviceable tyre from a vehicle without a good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Gwynplaine wrote: »

?

Do you aquaplane in your shoes often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

toyotafan wrote: »
    Cannot understand why people are purchasing Chinese tyres or part worn tyres.

For chinese tyre, I struggled to get any tyres in 14" in stock anywhere when I needed them all they had were chinese tyres. They were brutal. I swapped them for a brand name when I could source them. Difference was night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

You can see in between the cuts where the sidewall is weakened and delaminating. That tyre definitely looks like its been driven on the flat or way under inflated for a period of time.

I'm usually a firm advocater of part worns as being perfectly ok as every second hand car I've ever bought has had part worns on it. Unfortunately, one swallow doesnt make a summer one way or the other. That one was bad and I'm not saying that this is the case but there's nothing to say that this damage wasn't caused when the OP was using the tyre.
    well spotted on the undulations in the sidewall, I still have tyre and can post more images of it, my wife uses this car, always parked up in driveway overnight , usually this car just does small trips , I felt it needed a good run that's why i took it to Ennis that day. driven whilst low pressure makes lots of sense, i would have easily spotted it if it was flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

VeVeX wrote: »
    Not exactly. The car you've bought still has the tyres fitted. If you buy a part worn tyre it's been removed from a vehicle for a reason. It would be unusual and frankly illogical to remove a perfectly serviceable tyre from a vehicle without a good reason.

Most of the part worns in this country are imported from the like of Germany, Switzerland etc. where legally they must change from summer to winter tyres when the weather turns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Moanin wrote: »
    Most of the part worns in this country are imported from the like of Germany, Switzerland etc. where legally they must change from summer to winter tyres when the weather turns.

on a side note.. i think that they are only required to switch to winter tyres on a certain date.. i dont think that they have to switch back to summer tyres.

I say this because i was in Germany in June, and i saw plenty of cars (and taxis) still using winter tyres.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement