Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epsom 1st June 2018, Oaks Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

tryfix wrote: »
    If you look at the times so far for the day, it was the fastest run race so far today. It will be interesting to see if the fillies in the Oaks better his time.

1st race 6f slow by 4.65
    2nd race 1m 1/2f slow by 5.54
    3rd race 1m 4f slow by 3.99
    4th race 1m 2f slow by 5.27

And the Oaks was slow by 5.89 which confirms that Cracksman's Coronation Cup win was much a better performance than it appeared to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Strange how you often see the Oaks field come up the stands side like that at Epsom, 10+ examples off the top of my head.

I know they are searching for the better ground but I cant remember a single Derby winner coming near side since the 70s and there must have been plenty of softy ground Derbys in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

antietam wrote: »
    Just laid 8k to Craksman the Frankel rogue.

Rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Strange how you often see the Oaks field come up the stands side like that at Epsom, 10+ examples off the top of my head.

I know they are searching for the better ground but I cant remember a single Derby winner coming near side since the 70s and there must have been plenty of softy ground Derbys in that time.
    Kazzia came near side in the Oaks in 2002, but High Chaparral went far side in the Derby the next day.
    It might be that the ground dries in a day, or jockeys are afraid to "lose" the Derby by coming near side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

diomed wrote: »
    Kazzia came near side in the Oaks in 2002, but High Chaparral went far side in the Derby the next day.
    It might be that the ground dries in a day, or jockeys are afraid to "lose" the Derby by coming near side.

Yes I think maybe nowadays they may also move the far side rail in on Derby day to open up a fresh strip of ground there.

Used to be a 4 day meeting with Derby on Wednesday, Oaks on the Saturday which I suppose meant the Oaks got the worst of the ground and that's why they would come stands side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Imhof Tank wrote: »

It's tradition, a kind of an unwritten rule in the derby you stay far side. I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Paul kealy NAP' d him

Fair play to Kealy saved me a few quid. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

diomed wrote: »
    From the protecting stud value book of excuses.
    Others are "pulled a muscle"; "got struck into"; "finished lame"; "made a gurgling noise".

Cracksman is fine this morning after his win in the Coronation Cup but it turns out that he had a bit of an ordeal in the stalls," said the trainer.

"The horse next door got upset and Frankie said Cracksman lunged forward just before the stalls opened and gave his head an almighty whack, which is why he missed the break.

Frankie gave him eight almighty whacks in the last furlongs as well. Hope he recovered.

He didn't miss the break. The horse beside him missed the break.

• Advertisement
Advertisement