Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms/Heavy Rainfall 01st June 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Stunning day in Westport.

apart from few rumbles here and a few drops of rain that's about all we got, very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The big show skirted by me by a few miles on the Laois/Kilkenny border earlier this evening. A few rumbles and flashes east of me for an hour or two. Had some moderate rain between 6.30/7.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just a cracking day today in Athlone, all day.

Remaining activity left in the day looks set to miss us to the east too, so a nice sound sleepy night ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Come on, I was hoping we'd have even 15 minutes of storm chasing worthy material... in D3 we didn't even get enough rain to water the grass, just an ominous fog. Now it has cleared to a mackerel sky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

The warnings need to be localized a bit more, orange for Cork and it’s turned out to be a great evening, calm, warm and sunny in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

perrier wrote: »
    Absolute monsoon north of Bunclody around 6pm.

One in Enniscorthy about 2pm which lasted about 20 minutes,that was it. Glorious evening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Rikand wrote: »
    Just a cracking day today in Athlone, all day.

Remaining activity left in the day looks set to miss us to the east too, so a nice sound sleepy night ahead

Not anymore 🤨 pummeling down in Athlone now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

xabi wrote: »
    The warnings need to be localized a bit more, orange for Cork and it’s turned out to be a great evening, calm, warm and sunny in the city.

You can't really localise a warning much more for thunderstorms until it's too late. They are sporadic, and often cannot be predicted to extreme accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

EDit wrote: »
    Not anymore 🀨 pummeling down in Athlone now

Haven't heard thunder tho'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Torrential rain for last 50 minutes East Limerick, lightning flashes and a good loud clap or two of thunder...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Lots of this in this thread atm
    Trump-Pram-Website_800.png

For those of you who don't know or haven't read the last few days of posts in the convective thread, you simply cannot predict exactly where convection will kick off. I'll always remember the analogy of boiling a pot of water... do you know that it will eventually boil? - Yes... do you know exactly where and when in the pot you will see the bubbles form? - No

IMO the opinions of the usual crew over in the convective thread where all pretty much on the same page ( pardon the pun? ) and this event has gone exactly as expected.

Onto the next...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fair few sparks around today, history below of detected sferics up until this post ( not all lightning would be detected ).

HTk98Nn.gif

Netweather

OUwogUH.png?1

z6wJRhp.png

EXUw9VL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Flooding on the roads between Kingscourt and Bailieboro
    I'm in kingscourt and we've had zero mm of rain all day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

EDit wrote: »
    Not anymore 🤨 pummeling down in Athlone now

I'm on the west side of town - absolutely bone dry out here ;)

Though it sure is some dark looking skies over on the east side :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

I'm in South Co. Limerick and was absolutely blitzed by lightning this evening. Rain was very heavy alright, but was was really spectacular was the constant rumbling of thunder and the very frequent lightning.

Still a few occasional distant rumbles away to the North West of us now.

One ground strike very close by to us - still haven't found where it touched down.

This was the most intense thunder and lightning event that I've experienced in this part of the world for many a year. Very much like a Continental storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A huge black cloud has been rolling for what seems like an hour towards Limerick City, the sky darkening bit by bit. I feel like I am in the Middle East waiting on a rarer than rare shower. As I type it is getting so dark and the rain is finally starting to fall... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭lolie

Fair few sparks around today, history below of detected sferics up until this post ( not all lightning would be detected )

I heard plenty of distance thunder to the west, south and east today but only managed to see one flash.

Is the fair to say there was more lightning today than expected across the country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A fair amount of thunderstorms today considering the messy cloud cover. Can see the bigger storms develop earlier today in the NW and SE.

1Bf3v9k.jpg?1

No rain or lightning here around Tralee although did see sferic show up in Dingle Bay and around Millstreet / Abbeyfeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

This was all i got worth sharing after spending a bit moving around,storm chasing in ireland is sh1te compared to the US lol... Oh well I tried. Some video footage too not worth uploading but from where I was it was just seeing trains coming and going from the spot where I heard the first burst of thunder coming from these clouds in Park West.

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/T7NlhLt.jpg[/img]"]T7NlhLt.jpg[/URL]

• Advertisement

lolie wrote: »
    I heard plenty of distance thunder to the west, south and east today but only managed to see one flash.

Is the fair to say there was more lightning today than expected across the country?

It was never that clear . Potential was there all right but lately some days the parameters seemed to be there but very little result so maybe there was an air of caution as to making predictions.

AROME , ECM doing well in these set ups I think. WRF 2km very handy too. For me it is a great time for learning. The days when lightning does not materialize after being shown to have potential are great for learning also in trying to find out what was going on in the atmosphere to prevent the convection maturing.

EDIT: In hindsight there was good evidence for the potential of significant thunderstorms / heavy rainfall , just hard to predict exactly how much perhaps. The models did well in predicting the general areas that saw the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Lots of this in this thread atm
    Trump-Pram-Website_800.png

For those of you who don't know or haven't read the last few days of posts in the convective thread, you simply cannot predict exactly where convection will kick off. I'll always remember the analogy of boiling a pot of water... do you know that it will eventually boil? - Yes... do you know exactly where and when in the pot you will see the bubbles form? - No

IMO the opinions of the usual crew over in the convective thread where all pretty much on the same page ( pardon the pun? ) and this event has gone exactly as expected.

Onto the next...

Ahh dude give the newbies/contributers/amatuers a break, We aint like you with your cool pics etc and expertise and who I respect, However it is a rather small interest in Ireland overall I think,Maybe I am wrong there. (My wife for example loves the storms but thinks I am nutjob going out trying to catch them etc or taking weather pics on which I do alot of on instagram) I think and it is good to be part of it given people may look like a spanner standing on a bridge etc with a tripod and people walking past looking at you strange etc...But you are also right in fairness but it is exciting to go on a lead or what you may think is an active cell and dam right annoying when you get NOTHING...

The good thing is we have a good community here with genuine interest which is good to see and the same names always appear here with such events....
    It is also a great place for crowdscourced info giving near if not live times of info which I might suggest which is great for feedback, Worked on a few apps with information like this and was wondering if it could be taken further but with our sporadic weather events it may not be feasable, Just reminds me of a few crowdscourced apps for info I checked out for my blog which is interesting and helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

New warning issued for tomorrow, Connaught in the firing line this time
    NATIONAL WARNINGS

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath
    High intensity rainfall in scattered thunderstorms will lead to spot flooding. 25 to 50mm possible in downpours.

Issued: Friday 01 June 2018 21:00

Valid from Saturday 02 June 2018 12:00 to Saturday 02 June 2018 22:00

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Top class Super-Rush. That wins the prize!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got my wish for today: totally bone dry and no rain.

If I escape tomorrow then it will be dry for another week. The UK forecasters are showing a lot of instability tomorrow over the North-East and Northern Ireland so perhaps some showers at my location tomorrow, but hopefully not!

Grass here is starting to wilt and turn yellowish brown in places: a sign of a decent start to Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

If tomorrow is dry then the last time we had rain in Cork City was last Saturday during the thunder storm :) every day has been above 21 degrees in my area since then! (Besides Sunday. That wasn't very nice)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The last week has been great in terms of sunshine and no rain, but temperatures have been up an down with the breeze killing most of the warmth up to Wednesday this week.

We had 23C during the warm weekend at the start of the month, but so far the current spell has produced a high of 22C at my location, which isn't very hot, but pleasantly warm. Hopefully we will get a Spanish Plume at some stage this Summer with a tasty 29C some afternoon!

I am in Spain next weekend for a few days so hopefully will get to feel proper 25C+ for a few days, and maybe even a Thunder Storm or two!.

I have yet to hear thunder or see lightning at my location this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gonzo wrote: »
    The last week has been great in terms of sunshine and no rain, but temperatures have been up an down with the breeze killing most of the warmth up to Wednesday this week.

We had 23C during the warm weekend at the start of the month, but so far the current spell has produced a high of 22C at my location, which isn't very hot, but pleasantly warm. Hopefully we will get a Spanish Plume at some stage this Summer with a tasty 29C some afternoon!

I am in Spain next weekend for a few days so hopefully will get to feel proper 25C+ for a few days, and maybe even a Thunder Storm or two!.

I have yet to hear thunder or see lightning at my location this year.

No pleasing some folks - 22/23 is basically my upper limit of 'comfortable'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Agreed. That with a light warm breeze. Perfect.

Advertisement