Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thunderstorms/Heavy Rainfall 01st June 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

5 claps of thunder,raining,sun shining :confused: and dog hiding under bench,cock pheasant walking into yard,south East Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Wish it would do something here in tipp. It's so heavy and humid. Finding it hard to catch my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Was just on the phone and looking out my kitchen window. Saw the flash and then an instant bang. There was some clatter from it - a big bang and like a cracking noise. Must have been right beside me. Between Kildare and Monasterevin.

Cats are not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ORACLE2

Some heavy Rain and about 4 or 5 claps of Thunder here in the North Cork Region near Millstreet in the last 15 min or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain has eased off/skies starting to clear in Dublin 16. 5.0mm so far today.

You have definitely had more than here. Surfaces are wet again but no rain has been recorded so far today, and I can see blue sky through the cloud now both to the southwest and moreso to the northeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

MJohnston wrote: »
    The thunder strike areas definitely seem to have migrated south over the last few hours:

thanks for that looks like it skirting us inland

i light shower at lunchtime is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Thunder rumbling near by, out to the west/ northwest of Delvin, co Westmeath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Just very misty here Dublin coast

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure Dublin is going to get any action! Wind has gone east (in Dublin) and main line of storm/lightning activity, over Leinster, is edging west.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bright sun West Mayo offshore island, and looks as if we will miss the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Drove from Dublin to Offaly in the last hour. Apart from a deluge where M4 meets M6 for about a kilometre or two then suddenly dry, and temps climbed to 25 briefly in sun, with plenty of cumulonimbus around but nothing too near, should escape this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Kilkenny looks to be ground zero for this.

By the radar cells starting in cork now too.

Watching the radar playing, they almost look to be pulsing but with no wind to move them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like things are starting to build up in Cork. Hopefully the City gets some action again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Kilkenny looks to be ground zero for this.

By the radar cells starting in cork now too.

Watching the radar playing, they almost look to be pulsing but with no wind to move them on.

https://twitter.com/kilkennyweather/status/1002576518449651713

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sryanbruen wrote: »

and about 6 miles as the crow flies north east of the city and I only have 1mm and I would love a lot given how dry everything is...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think there is hope for Dublin this evening. Near the surface the wind is on shore - hence the low cloud off the Irish sea. But between now and 7 pm this should go off shore again according to the models.

Peak intensity of activity at this time of year is typically 7 - 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

RobertKK wrote: »
    and about 6 miles as the crow flies north east of the city and I only have 1mm and I would love a lot given how dry everything is...

The trouble is, if we get a lot in a small space of time, flash flooding may be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

robclay26 wrote: »

Same as down the road in Athboy....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Thunder and lighting here in Mallow. Nice big rolls and bangs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Plenty of rotation and scud sucking here outside of Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Does thunder impact on birds behavior? In Offaly can can just hear it in the distance and the swallows are going crazy. The dog has retreated inside but the sun is still out. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This cell to my north/NNW (possibly over N. Mayo) is really exploding at the mo, has grown even more since I took this shot 5 mins ago.

mjomCyD.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Gorgeous fork and vibrating rumble. Everyone just like 'meh, happens everyday' Freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭dasa29

Mullingar for the last while still going thunder, lighting and heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

robclay26 wrote: »

That's my view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Huge cloud convection over mountains

Right, low cloud clearing here and I can see towers building to the southwest and west (Santry).

Downpours snaking their way toward Southwest Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Big rumble from that cell near Naas

near constant now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Still overcast in Dublin 5..

Advertisement