Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

We simply will have to disagree on whether league games matter, i stand by my comment that the only matches that matter are championship games and in particular finals, also you are golfball are being disingenuous in taking meetings from only 09 to suit your argument, Tipp have a better overall head to head vs kilkenny in championship games. Theses are the facts. Im simply pointing out that golfball saying kilkenny have some sort of a hex on tipp is not backed up by the facts. Tipp have now given 3 serious beatings to kilkenny when it mattered most in finals in the last ten years, its gone to the stage tipp would like to play kilkenny more in finals. You have to go back to 1964 when kilkenny were last beaten by so much again that was tipp that day. Even paudie maher said it after the final that hes happy that its back to 3-3 now, he was talking about finals and thats all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    We simply will have to disagree on whether league games matter, i stand by my comment that the only matches that matter are championship games and in particular finals, also you are golfball are being disingenuous in taking meetings from only 09 to suit your argument, Tipp have a better overall head to head vs kilkenny in championship games. Theses are the facts. Im simply pointing out that golfball saying kilkenny have some sort of a hex on tipp is not backed up by the facts. Tipp have now given 3 serious beatings to kilkenny when it mattered most in finals in the last ten years, its gone to the stage tipp would like to play kilkenny more in finals. You have to go back to 1964 when kilkenny were last beaten by so much again that was tipp that day. Even paudie maher said it after the final that hes happy that its back to 3-3 now, he was talking about finals and thats all that matters.

Think about that statement, and what it implies.

I have thought about it, have you. The last 2 finals were the most relaxing a supporter could have, it was clear as day both days who was going to win after 30 minutes.

Regardless of what people think on here, the facts back up my argument, why wouldnt we want to play kilkenny in finals, more often than not we beat them in finals. Im not spouting anything crazy here, its simply true. Anyway im off this forum just had to get my say out about the so called fear tipp have of kilkenny which has no factual basis. Jackie tyrells ****e in the week up to the final would piss off even kilkenny fans with what he was saying about tipps mentality in big games. Cant argue with cold facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

Its great to get back to the club scene this weekend.The two senior ones which catch the eye are clara v the village and the bridge and o loughlins.The real stuff starts now and previous form will go out the window.It will probably take this match to blow of the cobwebs and teams will probably start getting back lads from the states and injury.The shamrocks will obviously be favourites but as we nearly seen with comer last year if teams can get on a good run and a bit of momentum anything could happen.
    Enda mcevoy must be having a peep in here he was writing about the different size backroom teams at intercounty level how maybe we're falling behind in this regard and how brian could do with more help and a defence and fowards coach.Best of luck to mick fennelly going to offally i thought he might of got involved with us next year.Thats eddie,mick and herity with kildare who will be on the line next year best of luck to all.It will be very intresting to see what shakeup will take place with the seniors.Will mick dempsey stay?i dont think brian would go outside the county if he was to shake up.He would probably go for some past players.intresting times ahead..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Regardless of what people think on here, the facts back up my argument, why wouldnt we want to play kilkenny in finals, more often than not we beat them in finals. Im not spouting anything crazy here, its simply true. Anyway im off this forum just had to get my say out about the so called fear tipp have of kilkenny which has no factual basis. Jackie tyrells ****e in the week up to the final would piss off even kilkenny fans with what he was saying about tipps mentality in big games. Cant argue with cold facts.

If you wanna gloat take it to the Tipp GAA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,309 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

holyhead wrote: »
    If you wanna gloat take it to the Tipp GAA forum.

No one to gloat with over there, shur they all agree with each other :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Time to move on.

Senior Fixtures for the weekend with my predictions

St. Patrick's v Dicksboro - Boro
    Rower Inistioge v Erins Own - Comer
    Danesfort v Graigue Ballycallan - Ballycallan
    Clara v James Stephens - Clara
    Ballyhale Shamrocks v Mullinavat - Shamrocks
    Bennettsbridge v O`Loughlin Gaels - OLG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Grats

Time to move on.

Boro, Comer, Danesfort, Clara, Mullinavat, Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I know I'm worse to get involved but in the Cody era that you reference, Kilkenny have won 7 championship games to Tipp's 3. It's also 5-0 in league finals in the Cody era... and please don't tell me Tipp didn't care about those league finals.

I am in no way trying to suggest that Tipp have any fear of KK or that they didn't deserve their win in the AI final btw.

I also know that Tipp have a better championship record against KK.... congrats on the AI win, enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Never wrestle with a pig, you'll both get covered in ****e, and the pig likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I know I'm worse to get involved but in the Cody era that you reference, Kilkenny have won 7 championship games to Tipp's 3. It's also 5-0 in league finals in the Cody era... and please don't tell me Tipp didn't care about those league finals.

I am in no way trying to suggest that Tipp have any fear of KK or that they didn't deserve their win in the AI final btw.

I also know that Tipp have a better championship record against KK.... congrats on the AI win, enjoy.

Tbf I think the vast majority of supporters have a genuine fear/respect of the opposition. More often then not kk have gotten the upper hand on us over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Time to move on.

Any word on any absentees from AI final squad for weekend matches?
    Hopefully all fit as I assume they will be raring to go to get the AI out of their heads
    Bridge v OLG looks pick for me

Bridge development more than any other club right now is vital to IC

On Bridge, anyone know how Jamie Harkin is going?
    I thought he was excellent for Minors last years and was surprised not to see him on SKC team.
    Injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

I have thought about it, have you. The last 2 finals were the most relaxing a supporter could have, it was clear as day both days who was going to win after 30 minutes.

In 2016 Kilkenny led by two points after 45 minutes. But don't let the facts bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

St. Patrick's v Dicksboro - Boro by 2
    Rower Inistioge v Erins Own - Inistioge by 3
    Danesfort v Graigue Ballycallan - Graigue by 1
    Clara v James Stephens - Draw
    Ballyhale Shamrocks v Mullinavat - Shamrocks by a dozen
    Bennettsbridge v O`Loughlin Gaels - O'Loughlins by 6

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Is Eddie Brennan still playing with the Graigue Ballycallan Seniors?

Looking to get a jersey signed tonight in Callan if he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Disappointing to see the U15 A team lose the semi final of the Arrabawn today considering the talent there.
    Fair play to the B squad for winning the John Doyle though.
    Also good to see U16s win their tournament.

Poor showing in the Tony Forristal and Sonny Walsh at U14 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭blackcard

Dicksboro ran out easy winners after a sluggish start against Ballyragget. The Boro have a fair bit of pace in their forwards in Aidan and Mark Nolan, also Shane Stapleton. Bill Sheehan didn't play. Cillian Buckley limping towards the end. Ballyragget very poor, only 2 points from play and none of their forwards scored from play. Could be in big trouble this year.
    James Stephens pulled away towards the end to win by 0-18 to 0-14 over Clara. Niall Brassil, Luke Scanlon and Tadgh O'Dwyer with important scores.
    Vat scored a scrambled goal with the second last puck of the match to claim a 1 point win over Ballyhale. Tom Aylward and Michael Malone did well. TJ Reid Darren Mullen, Eoin Cody and Evan Shefflin all fairly quiet. Adrian Mullen came on with a couple of minutes to play. Richie Reid best for Ballyhale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭blackcard

Time to move on.

A lot of surprise results

So a few suprises after the weekend.some teams having good teams while some teams looked well off the pace.ballyraget absolutley woefull against the boro.good to see buckley getting a good game into the legs while aidan nolan got 2-3 in the fowards.
    Vegas had a good win over the shhamrocks a late goal sealing the win.great to see tom aylward back after a lengthy period he will be a help at full back for them.Bhale missing a few.Joey didnt play while Adrian mullen came on.
    O loughlins had a good win over the bridge in a windy gowran.very high scoring conor heary getting two important goals.
    Tullaron got over a dogged glenmore heard shane walsh got something like 1-12 and ger aylward very lively for glenmore.
    Cshock got a big beating from freshford and it has to be a worry.I fear for them they could easily slide into a relegation dogfight and john tennyson stretchered off with what they fear is a cruciate.hopefully its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Dfort V GBG
    Danesfort played against strong breeze first half and done very well to be leading by 5 at half time. Richie Hogan was immense playing in midfield and drifted very deep at times but got on an acre of ball which he then used very effectively. Des Dunne was excellent at FB and got a vital interception on Billy Ryan first half when he looked like he was straight through on goal and while there was also a good spread of the scores across the Dfort forward line. GBC didnt offer too much up front although Jesse Roberts chipped in with 3 points but most of their main forwards were kept quiet.

Bridge V OLG
    Entertaining game but bridge struggled to get out of their own half when playing against a strong wind second half. OLG had a very strong running game and were very impressive. Heary chipped in with 2-2 from half forward. Lawlor was good at CB and Deegan was usual busy at midfield. Thought David Blanchfield was very good again and Cleere and Liam Blanch were some of their better performers too.OLG have some very good dept in their panel and for me would be the best equipped to challenge Ballyhale

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

RIP Brother Damien Brennan - a very very sad day for not only Callan but the whole county and beyond. As a coach, mentor and educator the man had no peers as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RIP Brother Damien Brennan - a very very sad day for not only Callan but the whole county and beyond. As a coach, mentor and educator the man had no peers as far as I'm concerned.

Just heard. Terrible news. A very sad day indeed. R. I. P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Very sorry to hear of Brother Damiens passing, I didn't know him personally but from reading Jackies book and watching his Laochra Gael you could tell that he was a great man. He seemed like a gentle soul but with a toughness and had no fear of holding up a mirror up to himself and others and to challenge with purpose. I would say he had a unofficial but significant role in our greatest ever team. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Having a look at the tables after 4 games I would put the teams in the following order.

1) O'Loughlin Gaels W3 L1 sco 99 con 79 diff +20
    2) Dicksboro W3 L1 sco 85 con 64 diff +21
    3) Rower Inistioge W3 L1 sco 79 con 61 diff +18
    4) Mullinavat W2 L1 D1 sco 84 con 86 diff -2
    5) James Stephens W2 L2 sco 83 con 76 diff +7
    6) Erins Own W2 L2 sco 72 con 69 diff +3
    7) Clara W2 L2 sco 86 con 90 diff -4
    8) Danesfort W2 L2 sco 80 con 81 diff -1
    9) Bennettsbridge W1 L2 D1 sco 97 con 104 diff -7
    10) Ballyhale Shamrocks W1 L3 sco 72 con 86 diff -14
    11) Graigue Ballycallan W1 L3 sco 74 con 81 diff -7
    12) St Patricks W1 L3 sco 61 con 95 diff -34

3 and 4 could be argued as Mullinavat are facing tougher opposition but I gave it to the Rower as their the meanest defence in the League so far.

Likewise 5, 6 & 7 could be changed but I think the above is fair.

I think O'Loughlins are the form team at the minute but looking at the same standings after last years league, I would have ranked the teams in this order (with the stage the went out of the championship in colour)
    1) Dicksboro quarter final
    2) O'Loughlin Gaels quarter final
    3) Ballyhale Shamrocks Champions
    4) James Stephens quarter final
    5) Mullinavat quarter final
    6) Bennettsbrige Final
    7) Rower Inistioge 1st round
    8) St Patricks 1st round
    9) Clara semi final
    10) Erins Own semi final
    11) Danesfort relegation final
    12) Carrickshock relegated

Of the four semi finalists Ballyhale were really the only ones who had a good league and should have been considered a contender. The fact that two of the semi finalists came from two teams who had, had such poor leagues goes to show that the championship is very unpredictable among the top 8 teams or so.

Ballyhale will have quite a way to go to turn their current form but if theres any team capable of it I think it's them. I'm fairly sure they'll be without Holden and Mick Fennelly again this weekend and I would suggest Adrian Mullen might be on the bench again! I can see them being in a relgation semi but I can see them in a county final as well, hard to tell at this stage. I would expect O'Loughlins to push hard with a bit more experience under their belts, their a young side. I would hope the Boro can keep building on their performances so far this year and be at the business end of the championship. For me the I would expect one of those three to be heading into the Leinster Championship in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Neewollah

All quiet on the forum for the upcoming Senior and Intermediate games.

Last week threw up some interesting results. Boro and OLG seem to be motoring. Boro were moving well but Ballyraggett were very poor. OLG and The Bridge was a great standard of Hurling. Loughs ability to create goal chances the difference.

On the Evidence of last weekend Loughs would be favourites closely followed by the Boro. Ballyhale need to improve and will improve, would be next in betting for me. Bennettsbridge are up there and if they can reduce their concession rate will be hard to beat.

Village and Clara was a poor game. Village won't have enough to win title playing with a sweeper and Clara no where near their early season form.

Would expect teams placed 3 to 6 in the stronger group to win their 1st round ties.

This weekend some tasty ties in store. Bridge Ballyhale hard to call. Both needing a win. Ballyhale need to show some form before 1st round and Bridge need a win to stay safe. Looking at both teams last weekend would expect Bridge to just shade it. Loughs should have too much for the Village and expect Clara to beat Mullinavat who like like they'll be without John Walsh. Expect it will be low scoring.

In the other group Boro should take care of the Rower, Danesfort on form should beat Ballyraggett who can still escape relegation with a win. GBC and Comer hard one to call. Just give the nod to GBC who should improve on last week. Important to avoid bottom 2 in that group with possibly Shamrocks and Bennettsbridge lurking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,309 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Best of luck to our Senior Camogie girls for the All Ireland on Sunday !!
    Hopefully they will come out on top after 2 narrow defeats in the last 2 finals !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Best of luck to the senior girls on sunday.one I feel they have to win after the pain of the last 2 years.have suffered probably more than our hurlers at the hands of poor refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

A day of drama with some late changes in the games today. By my reckoning that leaves us with;

First Round/Relegation:
    Shamrocks v Ballyragget
    Bennettsbridge v Castlecomer

First Round:
    James Stephens v Danesfort
    Mullinavat vs Graigue Ballycallan

League Final: Boro v Loughlins
    Shield Final: Inistioge v Clara

• Advertisement

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    A day of drama with some late changes in the games today. By my reckoning that leaves us with;

First Round/Relegation:
    Shamrocks v Ballyragget
    Bennettsbridge v Castlecomer

First Round:
    James Stephens v Danesfort
    Mullinavat vs Graigue Ballycallan

League Final: Boro v Loughlins
    Shield Final: Inistioge v Clara
    Exciting finish to the shamrocks match nickey cleere had a late free which he missed but was made retake it and pointed the secound time around.from the resulting puck out who else but tj got a goal.Jason cleere scored a penalty for the bridge
    Comer and ballycallan tit for tat with ballycallan finishing stronger billy and sean ryan caused problems but delaney impressive for comer.
    A better show from ballyragget 9 first half wides didnt help but kevin kelly missed a penalty to square it up during the secound half and danesfort finished stronger.think richie got a goal
    Exciting finish in the park olg seemed to have being ahead most of the match.robbie buckley with the goal.the villsge will be happy to get the draw.
    A one sided affair in gowran but the boro should be at the business end.free scoring at the moment and intresting that aidan nolan is now in attack.
    Clara v mullinavat a game of 2 halves a goal from willie dwyer after a bit of mix up in the clara defence gave them a little breathing space but a goal from bolger before half time narrowed the gap to 4 i think.liam ryan chipped in 3 or 4 points and they will be happier after 2 defeats.
    The real stuff starts now but ballyragget look to be under the most pressure to stay up.but the bridge or comer (both in last 4 last year)will be in a relegation final.
    The boro look good at the moment and if they get everyone fit i think they could win it but im sure they'll be twists and turns.
    Intermediate as always will be tight thomastown and tullaron again in league final both have good fowards and feel they are very close but both have dissapointed when it got to the crunch.maybe maurice aylward can bring that bit of steel to thomastown cause no doubting they have some nice fowards.tullaron really need to get up soon.
    Ger aylward very good again today and gave johnstown a bad beating.
    St.martins impressive again canice maher and mullhall hurling well.they have suprised me with the last few results.
    Freshford a narrow win over tullagher darragh maher impressive and looks to be a good prospect.brian kennedy played as a sweeper in the secound half.wally played out near midfield and picked off a few points.Freshford could be darkhorses.
    Gowran got over dunnamaggin willie phelan at 11 scored a few points.michael cody at 6 hurled well but gowran had a better spread of scorers.
    Cshock bounced back with a encouraging performance against tullaron going down by 2 points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement