Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameron Reilly Murder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

That's friggin nuts!!! :eek:

Fair enough if there was some form of limitation that you can't be compelled to incriminate yourself but....

that's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

wexie wrote: »
    That's friggin nuts!!! :eek:

Fair enough if there was some form of limitation that you can't be compelled to incriminate yourself but....

that's terrible.

I think that was exactly the basis for the decision, I.e right to not self- incriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Suckit wrote: »
    Apparently it is much less likely for a person to do something when they are in a crowd watching, than when they are alone - when they see something bad happening in front of them.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

If it was initially just a fight, I would imagine a few were filming it on their phone.
    Some may have deleted it by now though.

While this is all still idle speculation, i'd imagine much would be recoverable if that had actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This is in stark contrast to the case of the Australian bishop who was convicted of withholding information regarding sex abuse perpetrated by another person. Obviously Australian law is different, or maybe sex abuse is regarded as a more serious crime than murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Roger_007 wrote: »
    This is in stark contrast to the case of the Australian bishop who was convicted of withholding information regarding sex abuse perpetrated by another person. Obviously Australian law is different, or maybe sex abuse is regarded as a more serious crime than murder.

If the matter related to a child or vulnerable person, similar rules would apply here...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

IN fairness, it's not the gardai:

"A source told Independent.ie the cause of death had been established as strangulation" (to quote the article linked to in the opening post) which, with that lot, could mean absolutely anyone.

If it was in front of a group of friends, then one would think it would be relatively easy to find witnesses.

I thought the way it said 'a senior source said Gardai..' was implying it was a Garda, but you're right that it could actually be anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I also found it strange that it did not appear to merit any discussion here.

Sure thats the way it is now..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think life in Ireland should mean life, no way should a killer be out after a few years to restart their life and if "friends" witnessed the killing and did nothing they too should be punished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Sure thats the way it is now..

I do think if the victim was a young woman of 18 we would have had an instant thread. Equally as sad as the other recent murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Happy4all wrote: »
    I do think if the victim was a young woman of 18 we would have had an instant thread. Equally as sad as the other recent murders.

Thats just it... Also strange as it sounds we could have murder fatigue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Not more serious as such but does have specific legislation
    Eg
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/act/24/enacted/en/html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Why wasn’t there a thread made for this murder yesterday or this morning?

If the victim was a girl everyone would be talking about it. Sad but true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Thats just it... Also strange as it sounds we could have murder fatigue.

Nah, it's the fact that he was a man/boy.
    May as well call it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The word fight being used but to put your hands around someones throat and squeeze as hard as you can with people watching his face changing colour as he suffocates and not one person telling him to stop your killing him just seems everyone watching must be inhuman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »

Why didn't you or anyone else giving out make thread about it yesterday?

This thread is similar to the other two discussions on the awful murders this week....all three are being used by idiots obsessed with a gender war that doesn't exist in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tbh I think a lot of people hear about a young man found dead in a field and automatically assume scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think there are different rules for people in positions of trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The word fight being used but to put your hands around someones throat and squeeze as hard as you can with people watching his face changing colour as he suffocates and not one person telling him to stop your killing him just seems everyone watching must be inhuman.

If it's true, they all need to be charged with murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-For fück sake, how many fücking times do ye have to be told not to feed the god damn trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Where were you yesterday. There has been 2 thread's recently 1 was a 13 year old and 1 was abducted the threads were up before there deaths looking for help in finding them. This is no gender war and to make a thread about a murder into one is very disgusting in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Putinbot wrote: »
    Mod-For fück sake, how many fücking times do ye have to be told not to feed the god damn trolls.

apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If it's true, they all need to be charged with murder.

Charged with murder? Sorry but that's hyperbolic. Being there and not intervening is not on the same spectrum whatsoever. Only one person fully responsible and that's the person who did it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

eviltwin wrote: »
    Tbh I think a lot of people hear about a young man found dead in a field and automatically assume scumbag.

I just saw a headline saying Louth yesterday and assumed it was maybe criminal/IRA related, I never read the article

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Drugs or alcohol could be involved here, normal logic goes out the window. I bet they are all ****ting themselves now. Hopefully they get put away for long long time.

His family must be in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

eviltwin wrote: »

I thought the same. Now I am thoroughly ashamed of myself for jumping to conclusions that were totally unfounded.

Poor lad RIP. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Nobody deserves this agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

erica74 wrote: »
    Holy shit, there's been a lot of madness over the past few weeks - Ana Kriegel, Jastine Valdez and now young Cameron. Very sad. Hopefully justice will be done.

There was also the murder of Robert Elston (33) in Kerry last Wednesday. Not as young as the others but when you get to my age, you realise 33 is still very young.

All 4 murders committed in the last 2 weeks. It's really out of control. Life here is getting cheaper by the day. If you have elderly people in your life, talk to them about Ireland in the 1950s and 60s. Murder was so rare the whole nation would be shocked for weeks, with nothing else being reported in the newspapers. There must be statistics about this available on the internet.

This can't be explained away by having widespread instant access to news and media. There's something a lot more sinister infiltrating our society.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Charged with murder? Sorry but that's hyperbolic. Being there and not intervening is not on the same spectrum whatsoever. Only one person fully responsible and that's the person who did it.

I know not everyone there commited murder but to be honest with you would you look on at a murder being commited without intervening?

I might (not)/you might (not).... we don't the circumstances .... I would like to think that if I did witness a murder I would try to intervene. I think I would be culpable for not trying to stop a murder.

Anyhow, it's a moot point, a young life has been extinguished. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Aineoil wrote: »
    I know not everyone there commited murder but to be honest with you would you look on at a murder being commited without intervening?

I might (not)/you might (not).... we don't the circumstances .... I would like to think that if I did witness a murder I would try to intervene.

I like to think I would intervene. Just making the point that not intervening doesn't make you a murderer. That's all.

If it’s true that there were many people in that field, I just don’t get that not one rang for an ambulance. Even if they made the call once they got home?

To think that poor lad was left to be found by a stranger even though so many others knew he was there. I can’t get my head around that.

RIP Cameron

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I like to think I would intervene. Just making the point that not intervening doesn't make you a murderer. That's all.

I agree with you totally. Someone was a murderer. But those who witnessed it are culpable too. How to deal with that I don't know

I am Irish and over 50 years old but in my memory I don't remember a case like this.

Then again in the last two weeks I can't remember murders that have happened like this in my lifetime.

A 13 year old killed a 14 year old.

A poor innocent girl of 24 was abducted and murdered.

A young lad dies a "violent" death at 18.

A murder in Caherchiveen.

RIP to all. All these deaths are so sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement