Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a drill please

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OK, Father's Day this weekend so any offers that would be worth getting?

I think it's a reliable 'Impact drill' I need (for doing flat pack stuff and the like around the house).

Don't use an impact drill on flat pack stuff because you'll just tear all the screw fittings apart.

An ordinary drill preferably one with adjustable torque settings is much better.

If you want both then this dewalt set https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DCK211D2T-Li-ion-Cordless-Compact/dp/B00OTYXWE4/ is perfectly adequate for DIY use just try and remember to recharge the batteries every 6 months if you're not using it - same for any other battery drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it's a reliable 'Impact drill' I need (for doing flat pack stuff and the like around the house).

For flatpack and other quite flimsy and delicate work I'd try to find the best offer for this:

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gsr-12-v-15-fc-10-8v-flexi-click-drill-driver-with-4x-chucks-2x-2-0ah-batts#gref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

I think it's a reliable 'Impact drill' I need
    It absolutely isn't.

I think you've wandered into the wrong thread - this isn't the one you started a few days ago, it's someone who was looking for something to put together fencing...and what I think is an accidental argument because the terms "impact drill" and "impact driver" got mixed up.

What you want is a bog-standard cordless drill.
    Some types are:
    "Drill Driver" - standard chuck, drill holes and has various torque limit setting.
    example A, Example B

"Combi-drill"* - as above but includes a "hammer" setting that works by having two sets of bumpy washers on the spindle run over each-other. The most versitile option for one tool used around the house. This type of hammer-action is slow, but if you're only drilling the odd hole in walls then it's not worth your while with anything else. Example A, Example B

Reliability? you only asked about occasional, light use. Anything but the absolute bottom of the barrel will stand up to this. Any drill will be damaged by over-torquing them (ie. trying to make it turn when it's too hard for it to).

There were some very good drills suggested by others here** and on the other thread (DeWalts, Makitas, etc.) These are all very good quality "pro-sumer" tools that would be completely at home being abused on a building site. If anything, they're overkill for what you're looking to do but if they're in your budget then go for it, they'll serve you very well.

If I were you I'd go for a combi drill, sounds like it more than suits your needs. For assembling flat-pack furniture you'll need to use one of the lower torque settings to avoid damage.
    There isn't one tool that does everything, that'll do the most.

Impact drill - A type of masonry drill, exactly which type is a matter for debate.

*This term is sometimes used for a type of heavy-duty masonry drill, but in practice you couldn't possibly mix the two up.

Advertisement