Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a drill please

Options
  • 26-05-2018 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Im looking to buy a drill for outdoor work, basically some fencing, fixing stable doors, hanging mangers etc. We have a small farm and its for basic maintenance and repair, would need to be powerful enough for heavy wood or drilling into walls. I haven't a clue myself so hoping ye good people can advise me

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This maybe a little over the top but it is what I have and I use it outdoors a lot https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEWALT-Combi-Drill-Plus-Hammer/dp/B015WDKGN0/.

Plenty of downsides to the kit if you really want to nitpick as you could spend a lot more a and get brushless drills but I'm never going to wear a set of brushes out with my use or you could get something much cheaper.

For fencing and drilling holes for screw gate hinges you'll also need an adaptor for the SDS drill to hold normal straight bits. You may not need an SDS drill at all if you aren't drilling into brick or concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I picked up a replacement dewalt cordless from www.caulfieldindustrial.com
    The beat Amazon's price and you are buying from an Irish company so you can be sure its not a knock off. Ordered it at 1.30pm and had it next morning for 10am.

I picked up a replacement dewalt cordless from www.caulfieldindustrial.com
    The beat Amazon's price and you are buying from an Irish company so you can be sure its not a knock off. Ordered it at 1.30pm and had it next morning for 10am.

I only used Amazon as I could link to it easily but I wouldn't buy from a company like Caulfields who spent years charging full price for everything. Plenty of good local deals on Dewalt gear if you look around. Most builders merchants have at least one Dewalt drill on special offer.

LOL at the suggestion the Amazon sell knock off DeWalt drills - do you work for Caulfields?

my3cents wrote: »
    I only used Amazon as I could link to it easily but I wouldn't buy from a company like Caulfields who spent years charging full price for everything. Plenty of good local deals on Dewalt gear if you look around. Most builders merchants have at least one Dewalt drill on special offer.

LOL at the suggestion the Amazon sell knock off DeWalt drills - do you work for Caulfields?

Aw yeah if course i do. Im sat here in the office in nothing but my
    www.caulfieldindustrial.com print boxer shorts spinning around in my fancy new chair i got for my sales bonus.
    Relax mate, i was pointing out the obvious. Do your homework if youre going to advise someone on where to buy equipment. Amazon is notorious for uk dealers selling knock off gear. The reviews will often state the particular items are made in china and not the main manufacturers site

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

If you're not in a hurry to buy I'd wait for the long weekend or Father's day, usually the best time of the year to buy tools.

I bought a Stanley fatmax drill and 2 batteries for 100 euro last year. Bargain.
    Got my dad a Ryobi and 2 batteries for 109.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Makita dewalt or Hilti. Whatever you can get the best deal on they are all pretty much the same.
    20-24 volt. Might want a smaller screw gun as well.
    If you are looking to drill anything over half inch holes in concrete or brick you need something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What's your budget op

caff wrote: »

Your shouldn't link to Amazon because you should buy from an Irish company who of course will sell you genuine items and never rip you off :D

I'm not sure the OP needs an SDS drill but I linked to the set that I have simply because I had used it recently doing fencing work. I used the SDS drill for putting gate hinges into stone pier and with an adaptor when I had to drill a one inch hole through a telegraph pole.

More likely something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORDLESS-LITHIUM-FACILITY-COMPLETE-CARRYING/dp/B00SHIFXZY/ would be all he needs although I prefer the larger batteries in something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-Brushless-Compact-Lithium-Ion-Combi/dp/B00OQP4FVU/. Both of which you can often find on special offer here in a bricks and mortar shop as they are some of DeWalts main sellers.

Many other manufacturers do perfectly good similar items the main advice I'd give is to get a brand name because after sales and repairs will be better and you should be able to get new batteries if you ever need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Have a look on www.ept-irl.com. I came across them lately and they seem to have good value on dewalt gear i'm interested in. Based in carlow afaik

• Advertisement

Try 4ah or if possible 5ah batteries. They do add to the price but anything less and you will be charging everyday for light enough work

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a Makita SDS and it's a magnificent thing.

I reckon I could demolish my house with it in a weekend with enough beer on board.

Your shouldn't link to Amazon because you should buy from an Irish company who of course will sell you genuine items and never rip you off :D

I'm not sure the OP needs an SDS drill but I linked to the set that I have simply because I had used it recently doing fencing work. I used the SDS drill for putting gate hinges into stone pier and with an adaptor when I had to drill a one inch hole through a telegraph pole.

More likely something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORDLESS-LITHIUM-FACILITY-COMPLETE-CARRYING/dp/B00SHIFXZY/ would be all he needs although I prefer the larger batteries in something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-Brushless-Compact-Lithium-Ion-Combi/dp/B00OQP4FVU/. Both of which you can often find on special offer here in a bricks and mortar shop as they are some of DeWalts main sellers.

Many other manufacturers do perfectly good similar items the main advice I'd give is to get a brand name because after sales and repairs will be better and you should be able to get new batteries if you ever need them.

Just to clear it up. Screwfix &
    caulfieldindustrial did the drill i wanted including nextday cheaper than amazon. Its not going to make a difference to me but im sure OP wants less risk at best price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hitachi or Milwaukee 18v.

Smaller Hitachi 18v if you are looking for something to use frequently with occasional drilling (up to 8mm) into concrete with hammer action.
    For more frequent concrete drilling, look at the Milwaukee SDS 18v range.
    Have both for approx 10 years and have worked both hard and are still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Hitachi or Milwaukee 18v.

Smaller Hitachi 18v if you are looking for something to use frequently with occasional drilling (up to 8mm) into concrete with hammer action.
    For more frequent concrete drilling, look at the Milwaukee SDS 18v range.
    Have both for approx 10 years and have worked both hard and are still going strong.

I thought the 18v size was a new thing. I only started noticing them around lately. Was 22 or 24v not the common size?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

It's been 18 volt as the main line for years now, there are 10.8v, 14.4v, 18v, 24v and 36v.
    The batteries advertised as 20v are 18v nominal voltage but are 20v max voltage, they're the same.

My old Bosch corded drill packed up at 11pm last night as I sat outside finishing a garden project, holding a torch in my mouth as I fumbled around with screws, so after re-reading this thread I spent ages today reading around and watching review videos and went on an Amazon shopping spree, ending up with....

Makita DHP481Z 18 V LXT Brushless Combi Hammer Drill
    Makita DTS141ZJ 18 V Li-ion LXT Brushless Oil Pulse Driver

..plus a twin charger and some stacking Makpac cases to try and deal with my growing collection of power-tools-in-their-original packaging lying around the basement.

There's a bit of overlap in driving functions between the two, but I reckon the combi drill is going to be a bit quieter so better when working outside at antisocial times, and the impact driver will be better for the heavier tek-screws-into-oak projects I do sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Aw yeah if course i do. Im sat here in the office in nothing but my
    www.caulfieldindustrial.com print boxer shorts spinning around in my fancy new chair i got for my sales bonus.
    Relax mate, i was pointing out the obvious. Do your homework if youre going to advise someone on where to buy equipment. Amazon is notorious for uk dealers selling knock off gear. The reviews will often state the particular items are made in china and not the main manufacturers site

Also I've found Amazon purchases a PITA when it comes to warranty repairs.. For what OP needs,I'd buy as local as possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Also I've found Amazon purchases a PITA when it comes to warranty repairs.. For what OP needs,I'd buy as local as possible..

never had a problem once with a warranty repair on amazon and using it years.

In terms of what the OP is looking for , its not really clear.

I dont think there is a single drill that does it all. As Lumen alluded to above to get the best from tools you need ones specific to task.

If the OP is looking to drill concrete / brick often enough then a combi drill is pretty poor choice because it takes longer and expends more of your own effort to do the task. You should get an SDS for that purpose.

If the OP is driving alot of screws then you need to just get an impact driver. Brushless is best and youll never go back to another driver again.

Id be of the opinion that for domestic use. Buy a cheap SDS corded Impact Drill. They will beast through anything you can spend around 60-100 Euro on one and it will handle pretty much any drilling task with Ease.

Then buy either a combi cordless drill for small scale holes like timber work or whatever. This again can be picked up for anything from 70 - 120 Euro.

And then buy a decent brushless impact driver for screwing stuff home.

This would cover all bases and really not cost the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

This maybe a little over the top but it is what I have and I use it outdoors a lot https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEWALT-Combi-Drill-Plus-Hammer/dp/B015WDKGN0/.

Plenty of downsides to the kit if you really want to nitpick as you could spend a lot more a and get brushless drills but I'm never going to wear a set of brushes out with my use or you could get something much cheaper.

For fencing and drilling holes for screw gate hinges you'll also need an adaptor for the SDS drill to hold normal straight bits. You may not need an SDS drill at all if you aren't drilling into brick or concrete.

This looks like a good deal but unfortunately do not deliver to UK/NI

• Advertisement

Im a she actually, so all the advice greatly received, is there anything in particular I should be looking at when buying a drill, from a power etc point of view

What's your budget op

About the €300 mark, I might stretch a little bit more but as its just for occasional use I dont want to spent a fortune on it, just to have something reliable and strong enough for all the jobs

listermint wrote: »
    never had a problem once with a warranty repair on amazon and using it years.

In terms of what the OP is looking for , its not really clear.

I dont think there is a single drill that does it all. As Lumen alluded to above to get the best from tools you need ones specific to task.

If the OP is looking to drill concrete / brick often enough then a combi drill is pretty poor choice because it takes longer and expends more of your own effort to do the task. You should get an SDS for that purpose.

If the OP is driving alot of screws then you need to just get an impact driver. Brushless is best and youll never go back to another driver again.

Id be of the opinion that for domestic use. Buy a cheap SDS corded Impact Drill. They will beast through anything you can spend around 60-100 Euro on one and it will handle pretty much any drilling task with Ease.

Then buy either a combi cordless drill for small scale holes like timber work or whatever. This again can be picked up for anything from 70 - 120 Euro.

And then buy a decent brushless impact driver for screwing stuff home.

This would cover all bases and really not cost the earth.

I guess this sounds about right, It would be used mostly for screwing into timber, fixing doors, making doors etc, it would be used less often for screwing into walls/concrete, so maybe buying two would be better. Confused.com :D

nihicib2 wrote: »
    I guess this sounds about right, It would be used mostly for screwing into timber, fixing doors, making doors etc, it would be used less often for screwing into walls/concrete, so maybe buying two would be better. Confused.com :D
    For general screwing-around a combi drill is fine.

Fixing things to concrete is generally done with anchors which drop into a drilled hole, and for drilling into concrete a corded SDS drill is good, as listermint suggests. My old corded Bosch drill had a hammer action but was useless against concrete. So if you have a concrete house, a good combi drill and SDS drill will do everything you need.

If you have a timber house I can't think of a reason you'd need an SDS drill, so just a combi drill would be fine.

An impact driver is most useful for driving of screws into heavy wood materials or jobs where you're putting in hundreds and hundreds of fastenings. It's not so much that an impact driver is more twisty, it's that the impact driver uses a sort of hammer action in addition to the twisting to drive the screws in. This means there isn't a load of reaction torque which creates fatique and risk (a torquey drill has long screw-in handles so that your other arm can counteract the torque to stop your wrist getting snapped off).

So if you're doing big assembly projects like decking, an impact driver is handy. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. They can be _really_ noisy (bit like the noise you hear in a tyre shop) unless you go with a fluid drive one, but those are expensive and still quite noisy).

Anyway, that's what I learned in my research yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

nihicib2 wrote: »

Id get a Decent Combi drill then and an impact driver. No need for SDS from what you describe. But the Impact driver will be a superb tool. I bought one a year ago and dont know how i used a combi for all those years the impact spanks its ass for driving screws. As for noise its no more noisey than a combi which takes double the time to drive anything and can bind as it doesnt have the torque to do the job. - mines a brushless.

Often underated but gets raving reviews. Ive bought alot of Ryobi's stuff recently and this sort of pack cant be looked past for value

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-RIDTWIN13-Combi-Impact-Driver/dp/B00NB3V3IQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1527521903&sr=8-9&keywords=ryobi+impact+driver

Theyre a really nice unit.

Lumen wrote: »
    For general screwing-around a combi drill is fine.

Fixing things to concrete is generally done with anchors which drop into a drilled hole, and for drilling into concrete a corded SDS drill is good, as listermint suggests. My old corded Bosch drill had a hammer action but was useless against concrete. So if you have a concrete house, a good combi drill and SDS drill will do everything you need.

If you have a timber house I can't think of a reason you'd need an SDS drill, so just a combi drill would be fine.

An impact driver is most useful for driving of screws into heavy wood materials or jobs where you're putting in hundreds and hundreds of fastenings. It's not so much that an impact driver is more twisty, it's that the impact driver uses a sort of hammer action in addition to the twisting to drive the screws in. This means there isn't a load of reaction torque which creates fatique and risk (a torquey drill has long screw-in handles so that your other arm can counteract the torque to stop your wrist getting snapped off).

So if you're doing big assembly projects like decking, an impact driver is handy. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. They can be _really_ noisy (bit like the noise you hear in a tyre shop) unless you go with a fluid drive one, but those are expensive and still quite noisy).

Anyway, that's what I learned in my research yesterday.

Brilliant thanks for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Having read the whole thread, and particularly your list of potential uses, I'm inclined to think a twin pack of drill + impact is the best way to go as listermint suggested.

You can always add an SDS at a later stage if and when the need comes up, which is what I did when we moved into our small-holding. I waited until I needed to drill some serious holes in concrete before taking that plunge!

There have been some great quality recommendations on the thread but another route open to you is to go budget, which may leave money in the kitty for adding other tools you'll inevitably want.

Something like this Ryobi set will get you started without breaking the bank and in a few years time you'll be in the position to upgrade without worrying around the initial investment:

https://www.mydiy.ie/products/ryobi-one-18v-combiimpact-driver-twin-pack-18-volt-2-x-20ah-li-ion.html

EDIT: Only just noticed Listermint suggested the same kit n'all!!!

Having read the whole thread, and particularly your list of potential uses, I'm inclined to think a twin pack of drill + impact is the best way to go as listermint suggested.

You can always add an SDS at a later stage if and when the need comes up, which is what I did when we moved into our small-holding. I waited until I needed to drill some serious holes in concrete before taking that plunge!

There have been some great quality recommendations on the thread but another route open to you is to go budget, which may leave money in the kitty for adding other tools you'll inevitably want.

Something like this Ryobi set will get you started without breaking the bank and in a few years time you'll be in the position to upgrade without worrying around the initial investment:

https://www.mydiy.ie/products/ryobi-one-18v-combiimpact-driver-twin-pack-18-volt-2-x-20ah-li-ion.html

EDIT: Only just noticed Listermint suggested the same kit n'all!!!

Well thats two recommendations for this kit so I think Ill bite the bullet and get it, as you say it'll get us up and running.

Thanks again everyone for all the help
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Amazon is notorious for uk dealers selling knock off gear. The reviews will often state the particular items are made in china and not the main manufacturers site

Then just buy from Amazon, not a 3-rd party seller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement