Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a drill please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

One other for the OP to think about and its a slightly more lady like combo (size and weight) that a neighbor has. Its quite light but more than capable of most drilling and fixing work, quite surprised in fact how good these 10.8 V tools are https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DCK211D2T-Li-ion-Cordless-Compact/dp/B00OTYXWE4 . Sorry but I'm only using Amazon as its easy to find the items and checking prices they don't seem any more expensive than buying locally.

Neighbor drove hundreds of 120mm number 5 screws building his extension and the builders 18V Makita Impact Driver was only marginally better.

The downside is there is nothing in that set to drill into brickwork or concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Well thats two recommendations for this kit so I think Ill bite the bullet and get it, as you say it'll get us up and running.

Thanks again everyone for all the help
    :D

That ryobi drill looks more like a screw gun. I have a dewalt that size for screwing and wouldn’t use it for drilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That ryobi drill looks more like a screw gun. I have a dewalt that size for screwing and wouldn’t use it for drilling.

Screw gun ? They're not screw guns I think that term originated in ireland on the sites.

A proper screw gun is an impact driver. Your DeWalt would be put to shame by a driver. I know cos I have both.

listermint wrote: »
    Screw gun ? They're not screw guns I think that term originated in ireland on the sites.

A proper screw gun is an impact driver. Your DeWalt would be put to shame by a driver. I know cos I have both.

Are you honestly telling me that the ryobi impact driver is better than my dewalt impact driver? And are you telling me an impact driver is good enough to drill anything more than one hole in concrete before you worry about it burning out or running out of battery.
    I use a range of these things in work. We call them screw guns. Hammer action 24v type items we call drills. Anything bigger than that usually get called kangos.

Actually I had two of them ryobi screw guns and a ryobi torch about ten or 15 years ago. It was good for screwing and drilling pvc attic tanks. I had a makita 24v at the time for drilling.

Are you honestly telling me that the ryobi impact driver is better than my dewalt impact driver? And are you telling me an impact driver is good enough to drill anything more than one hole in concrete before you worry about it burning out or running out of battery.
    I use a range of these things in work. We call them screw guns. Hammer action 24v type items we call drills. Anything bigger than that usually get called kangos.

You never mentioned an impact driver. It sounded like you were saying a 'screw gun' combi was better.

A combi is not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

my3cents wrote: »
    One other for the OP to think about and its a slightly more lady like combo (size and weight) that a neighbor has. Its quite light but more than capable of most drilling and fixing work, quite surprised in fact how good these 10.8 V tools are https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeWalt-DCK211D2T-Li-ion-Cordless-Compact/dp/B00OTYXWE4 . Sorry but I'm only using Amazon as its easy to find the items and checking prices they don't seem any more expensive than buying locally.

Neighbor drove hundreds of 120mm number 5 screws building his extension and the builders 18V Makita Impact Driver was only marginally better.

The downside is there is nothing in that set to drill into brickwork or concrete.

I had this little kit a while back and it was good for small jobs and light work, but it is definitely not good enough as a main cordless kit, it just lacks real power, I ended up giving it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think the Americans use the term "screw gun" for a clip-fed clutched driver. It is to screws what a nail gun is to nails.

I think I read that an impact driver is called a rattle gun on UK/Irish sites.

Anyway, my Makita combi just turned up and I feel like a drilling badass. Except the batteries were in a separate order so I'm currently impotent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lumen wrote: »
    I think the Americans use the term "screw gun" for a clip-fed clutched driver. It is to screws what a nail gun is to nails.

Anyway, my Makita combi just turned up and I feel like a drilling badass. Except the batteries were in a separate order so I'm currently impotent.

Why do people bother with impact drivers?
    Use torx screws and forget about the problem...

Which one did you get?
    I've been on a good few sites and never heard the term rattle gun. Impactor or impact gun is all I've ever called them.

grogi wrote: »

Have you used a quality impact gun/driver?

• Advertisement

Because they're a fantastic tool

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Have you used a quality impact gun/driver?

Yes. And I still don't get the affection.

I equally find the mechanical hammer drill useless. Either go with a SDS hammer if you need to drill concrete, or don't do it at all.

Which one did you get?
    I've been on a good few sites and never heard the term rattle gun. Impactor or impact gun is all I've ever called them.
    DHP481 combi, DTS141 impact driver.

Yes. And I still don't get the affection.

I have a Bosch brushless impactor i got from Korea, its nearly as short as the battery and fits in where a screwgun won't, it's effortless to use, it has three power settings and it's done everything I've ever asked of it, it's a dream to use tbh. But in saying all that, I love the newer screwguns and find myself grabbing those most of the time, but I'll always have the impactor nearby.

DHP481 combi, DTS141 impact driver.

You can't go wrong with the higher grade Makita, the boss just got two Makita DHP484 I think is the model with 5ah batteries. They're insanely quick and very powerful. Good luck with them!

Grogi: I agree with sds only for drilling concrete/masonry, a combi drill is near useless in that regard.

I have a Bosch brushless impactor i got from Korea, its nearly as short as the battery and fits in where a screwgun won't, it's effortless to use, it has three power settings and it's done everything I've ever asked of it, it's a dream to use tbh. But in saying all that, I love the newer screwguns and find myself grabbing those most of the time, but I'll always have the impactor nearby.

Ok - the size is an important point.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Have this set and it's a fantastic set https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitatchi-Power-Tools-HITKC18DGLTW-Li-Ion/dp/B01HYGAZQQ
    Drill is fairly big and powerful but light enough and the impact driver, screws 4" screws into hardwood without any effort. The difference in trying to drill a screw into heavy wood with a regular drill and using an impact drill is night and day. I'm only sorry I didn't get one sooner!

Have this set and it's a fantastic set https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitatchi-Power-Tools-HITKC18DGLTW-Li-Ion/dp/B01HYGAZQQ
    Drill is fairly big and powerful but light enough and the impact driver, screws 4" screws into hardwood without any effort. The difference in trying to drill a screw into heavy wood with a regular drill and using an impact drill is night and day. I'm only sorry I didn't get one sooner!

Again this is just a big screw gun and a little screw gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I don't get why anyone would be putting a 4" screw into hardwood , what are you fixing, what happened to counter boring and pilot holes

Again this is just a big screw gun and a little screw gun.

No, it's a high powered drill and an impact driver. Read the description!

• Advertisement

I don't get why anyone would be putting a 4" screw into hardwood , what are you fixing, what happened to counter boring and pilot holes

Because that's the way I build furniture. I buy some nice hardwood and then I butcher it together with 4" screws! It turned out gorgeus :rolleyes:

It was an old hardwood door that I cut up and salvaged the decent parts from. I used some of it to brace a wooded fence with 4" screws. OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A mate of mine, who is a builder, bought that set (commercial version) years ago and worked them really hard, he said the impact driver was one of the best for the money.
    What I do remember is him saying he was needing to buy good quality pozi bits as the cheaper ones would disintegrate quite quickly using the impact driver, but that it was savage at running screws in.

He was as that yesterday I don't think he knows what an impact is despite claiming to be years in the trade. Big and little screw gun... Lol

listermint wrote: »
    He was as that yesterday I don't think he knows what an impact is despite claiming to be years in the trade. Big and little screw gun... Lol

I spend a lot of my time marking out places for lads to drill 12 mm holes in concrete. An impact driver with 2 x15 screw settings and one hammer setting wouldn’t do one hole. They are for little diy holes like maybe hanging pictures. For screwing they are the best in the market but they arnt drills.

For screwing they are the best in the market but they arnt drills.
    So I guess that's why they call them drivers......?

Exactly. So recommending them for the op is not the best thing to do unless the op just wants to put screws in stuff.

Precisely! They are to drive screws into wood without having to drill a hole or drive screws into concrete where a pilot hole has been pre-drilled, usually using a SDS drill. They are essentially the SDS version of a screw gun :D

incidentally, I knew an oul fella years ago that was continuously shouting for his 'screw gun'! Biggest cowboy in the business. Everything was built and installed using red wall plugs and 8mm wood screws, no matter the project! Shelves hung on plasterboard walls, bathroom fitting into tile on plasterboard walls, didn't matter, red wall plugs and 4x40 screws did the job. Needless to say, most of his work lasted until it was actually used and then promptly ended up on the floor :rolleyes:

K.Flyer wrote: »
    A mate of mine, who is a builder, bought that set (commercial version) years ago and worked them really hard, he said the impact driver was one of the best for the money.
    What I do remember is him saying he was needing to buy good quality pozi bits as the cheaper ones would disintegrate quite quickly using the impact driver, but that it was savage at running screws in.

Yep! Powerful little driver alright and yes, you definitely need to use hardened pozi bits, it will shred normal bits in a few seconds!

I spend a lot of my time marking out places for lads to drill 12 mm holes in concrete. An impact driver with 2 x15 screw settings and one hammer setting wouldn’t do one hole. They are for little diy holes like maybe hanging pictures. For screwing they are the best in the market but they arnt drills.

So basically exactly what the op was looking for . Which we have all recommend....

Quality summation

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    If you're not in a hurry to buy I'd wait for the long weekend or Father's day, usually the best time of the year to buy tools.

I bought a Stanley fatmax drill and 2 batteries for 100 euro last year. Bargain.
    Got my dad a Ryobi and 2 batteries for 109.

OK, Father's Day this weekend so any offers that would be worth getting?

I think it's a reliable 'Impact drill' I need (for doing flat pack stuff and the like around the house).

Advertisement