Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice one Seán. Hopefully you get a clear run at things and if that happens, then those targets will seem soft enough i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd imagine you could be in a position to run quicker than that at a below 100% effort at some stage this year, simply as a result of your training. I've seen a good few folks at this stage PB from 5k up as a result of marathon training.

Looking forward to following the progress @MY BAD. Best of luck with it and the job change. I've been in the same job for nearly 14 years now. It facilitates my family life too well and so I don't want to risk it with a move. 60 hours p/w sounds crazy. Life's too short etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Good luck with 2022, look forward to following it!

I feel I would be remiss to not ask, have you considered getting a running buggy when the little one is 6 months? Great for easy runs and can relieve some pressure at home for you to disappear the baby and you for an hour or two! I swear by it. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

A little late on the catch up here Sean,

Congrats on the first. Definitely not easy but you seem to be handling it better than many (my consistency has been an abject failure since the first). Sorry to hear about the injuries hopefully can get them right and smash the targets over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Thanks P. I don't know if I'm been sensible... I feel at the moment I'm light years from PB territory but I'm going to embrace the process.

• Advertisement

Cheers J. I'm still struggling but it will come good. I know you're in a lull but I'd love to be in your position right now

Thanks I haven't changed jobs yet but sending out CVs. I agree life is too short. I'm happy enough where I am but the hours and on call is killing me.

Thanks , delighted to see you back logging again always very interesting and knowledgeable insights. To be fair he's a great wee man and has a fantastic Mum that encourages me to get out running

A few days late with my log

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

50 minutes easy 

10.58km @ 4:46/km or 7:40/mi

On flat ground, no problems.

Wednesday

60 minutes easy

12.88km @ 4:42/km or 7:34/mile

Again no problems on this run. A bit too fast for easy but I was testing out the foot to see how it would react. On a hillier route.

Thursday

40 minutes easy

8.34km @ 4:52/km or 7:50/mile

I had today down as a rest day then planned a session Saturday but other commitments meant I couldn't run Friday. Anyway a few hills on this run. Towards the end I could notice my left foot/ankle a bit and a little sore afterwards.

Friday

Rest day.

Left foot quite sore all day. I'm still not overly concerned but.... its a month since I did a session.

Saturday

50 minutes easy

10km @ 5:01/km or 8:04/mile

I waited until evening. No pain all day and no problems during or after my run. On a flat route.

Sunday

Easy 45 minutes

9.26km @ 4:53/km or 7:52/mile

Grand on the run I had planned 60 minutes maximum but at about 40 minutes I started to notice my left foot again. A few hills on his run I think I'm okay on the flat....

No pain this Monday but it was a rest day. Also no pain on yesterday's easy run on the flat

• Advertisement

That's the one I have. I know lots about it. lol. (Actually technically I have the V3, but the differences are minor). Mines done about 2000km at this stage I think. The tyres are threadbare at this point!

I also have the O'N'A double 360, which is a little more multifunctional but "suitable" for running with the two kids. Certainly not as suitable for bumpy or fast running as the O'N'A sport that you linked.

For the Single, I literally stalked adverts/donedeal from the day she was born and landed one when she was about 6 weeks old. But then it stayed in the attic until she was 6 months (you're not supposed to take em running until then).

Important things for me (and considering I was getting a buggy solely for running) were that it was light and big wheels. Didn't care that it was impossible to wheel around tight spaces like shops. The most important things from a safety perspective are:

-the front wheel locks (which means you need to wheely to turn)

-wrist strap. so if you snot yourself at some point the buggy doesn't fly off without you.

There's a few Facebook groups that have lots of info too, and people reply very quickly to any questions asked:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1190065294341971

https://www.facebook.com/groups/593961123953064

Thanks a million for all that, I really appreciate the reply. I think I'd like to race a 10km with him this year and aim for a sub 40. I think most of my runs with him will be loops of the community park or forest trail.

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

50 minutes easy 

10.56km @ 4:56/km or 7:56/mile

Mainly on the forest trail. All good.

Wednesday

50 minutes easy

10.39km @ 4:51/km or 7:48/mile

No issues again. On the roads and footpaths so a harder surface than yesterdays run. I spotted a Christmas tree still up and lit of this run

Thursday

Rest day. All good.

Friday

8x3 minutes broken tempo with 45 seconds float.

On the community park in Ballaghaderreen Co Roscommon/Mayo for this session. Really good facilities.1st time doing a session here. Pity they don't have lights it was getting dark towards the end of the session. The bends on the track are a bit tight if you were running fast but it's grand for tempo stuff. I had the place to myself with was a bonus. Warm up of about 2 miles then my activations, drills, and strides. A small bit of wind but no complaints about the weather. This was supposed to be a broken tempo but I was feeling good so I didn't look at the watch only for the 45 seconds float, it ended up been slightly faster than planned. I did the first 3 anticlockwise, then 3 clockwise, the the last 2 anticlockwise again. A bit breezier running anticlockwise. No pain during or after the session which was great. Afterwards I did my cool down on the grass. Something we'd nearly always do when I trained with Dermots group. Something I should be doing more but not really a option.

Warm up 3.2km

Average pace for each 8x3 minutes.

3:46/km or 6:04/mi

3:46/km or 6:04/mi

3:47/km or 6:05/mi

3:42/km or 5:57/mi

3:44/km or 6:00/mi

3:44/km or 6:00/mi

3:48/km or 6:07/mi

3:50/km or 6:10/mi

45 seconds float recovery was easy pace

3km cool down

Saturday

50 minutes easy

10.58km @ 4:46/km or 7:40/mile

I headed out around 4pm my intention was to go around noon. I was hoovering the house in the morning barefooted when I suddenly got a sharpe pain in my left foot. I could barely walk on it. But by 2pm it was completely fine. I waited until 4pm then ran on flat ground in the forest trail mainly, no problems during or after the run. A bit strange.

Sunday

Easy 75 minutes

15.68km @ 4:50/km or 7:52/mile

Out on the roads. A few hills but nothing major 119m elevation gain on Strava. All good during and after this run.

Good week 61km in total looking forward to next week.

No bother to you! My buggy bests are 19 flat for 5k and 1:28 or something HM. Based on the fact your a miles better runner than me, sub 40 should be no bother!

January review

Not the way I wanted to start 2022. It seemed to be 3 different issues in my left foot. Firstly my sole issue flared up over the Christmas then my left ankle and then the top of my left foot were causing discomfort I think I must have gone over my ankle slightly during a forest run. Although I think the the last two (ankle and top of my left foot) could be related. My plan to run a 5km TT was scuppered so I'm still not exactly sure where I am in term of fitness. Thankfully towards the end of January things started to come together. Fingers crossed for a better February.

January Totals

20/31 days running

1 session

18 hours

219.1km distance 

In short no. It looks good, I had a quick look on the various facebook pages and it seems fairly new with not many user experiences.

One comment was (the last sentence is a bit of a warning tho!)

"This buggy is built for SPEED. Also manages farm trips and shopping! Super comfy buggy and smooth suspension - both our children approve

. Very lightweight and enough space for a short trip with provisions. Handlebar designed for single hand running and (as I am short) makes the buggy very long...do have to be extra extra careful with corners. Sun shade is excellent. Looks very cool. I would recommend a darker shade if you live near mud as this pretty colour scheme won't last long.

Thank you Cybex for our gift. "

Thanks for the reply @crisco10

Monday

50 minutes easy

On the country roads for this run with my headlamp. Nice to get out of town for a change. All good.

10.48km @ 4:52/km or 7:50/mi

Tuesday - St Brigids

7x1km with 60 seconds off/walk recovery

3km warm up followed by my usual activations and drills. No strides today. Slight progression on the first 6x 1km starting at a tempo effort then on towards threshold or 10 mile effort. I had a tailwind on all the odd number reps like 1,3,5,7 then a head wind on the even ones. Breezy but not too bad. I prefer doing interval type stuff on the track when it's breezy because it keeps all repeats even enough because you'll always have a head and tailwind. After each 1km it was 60 seconds walking recovery. On the 7th km closer to 5km effort mainly to see how it feels again and how my foot would react to a bit more stress. No problems on this session or afterwards. I really like that 5km effort pace stuff, it's been a while. After 3km cool down.

1km reps

3:53

3:51

3:48

3:46

3:46

3:43

3:25

Wednesday

Rest day. All good

Thursday

50 minutes easy

10.4km @ 4:52/km or 7:50/mi

Morning run just after 6am because our clubs AGM was in the evening. The senior side of our club is suffering. I'm now sure how to change it around. But it will take work.

Friday

5x 1mile with 90seconds walk/shuffle recovery

I wasn't sure what session to do today. I had a few different sessions lined up depending on how I would react to Tuesdays 7x1km so I went with 5x 1mile because I was feeling good. I would have been happy to leave it at 3x1mile if I wasn't firing on all cylinders. But no, it went great so I did the full 5x1. There was no real fatigue after the session so I felt like I could have done more reps if I had too. I did this on a straight mile route in and out. The out has a overall down hill grade but you still have around 10 metre elevation gain with the rolling hills and a grade of -0.5% . Coming back in its the opposite with a overall 11 metre elevation gain and a 0.5% grade so it's fair enough. I did struggle a bit to keep each mile even on time with a few seconds different on each one, but overall not too bad considering. I was targeting around 5:55 and looking to keep them all even enough. The weather was starting to turn nasty so some strong head winds at times, thankfully I was finished when the real wind and sleet started. I'd glance at my watch after 400m and again with 400m to go on each rep just to see what the pace was like but like my last two sessions they were more by feel than a slave to my watch.

3km warm up, not much drills or activations today. I hate doing them on the side of a busy road.

5x 1 mile reps

5:58

5:53

5:56

5:57

5:54

90 seconds walk shuffle on the recovery.

3km cool down. I went a little too fast on my cool down, I was in a hurry home. I'd be better to go slower and leave it at 2km...

Saturday

30 minutes easy/recovery

6km @ 5:06/km or 8:12/mile

Fairly rank out. Jacket, gloves, and tights on. We haven't really had many bad days this winter. Today wasn't even too bad but I'll layer up on slower runs so I'm not picking up the pace up to stay warm.

Sunday

Easy 80 minutes

16.73km @ 4:48/km or 7:43/mile

Out on the roads. I avoided most of the rain but extremely windy at times. Wrapped up well again. My left sole issue flared up a bit on the second half of this run so I'll have to watch that over the next few days.

Good week again 72km in the bank. I think I'll stick with 5 days running maximum per week for February. I don't think I'm quite ready for 6 days a week yet.

Jake Smith who recently signed for NN is training in Uganda now and putting it all on Strava. It's quite interesting. Definitely worth checking it out. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

"Jake Smith who recently signed for NN is training in Uganda now and putting it all on Strava. It's quite interesting. Definitely worth checking it out"

Am a big fan of Jake Smith - listened to him in a few podcasts last year.

I think James Thie is still his coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I found him a little too much on the cocksure side of things. Some potential though.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure who is coaching Smith since he signed with NN although I'm sure Thie will still have a big influence on him even if he isn'this coach. Not lacking confidence that's for sure.

Monday

Rest Day

This would have been 50' easy but after Sundays slight flare up I decided it was best to rest.

Tuesday

55 minutes easy

11.34km @4:56/km or 7:56/mi

I miss judged how many times I needed to go in and out on my route so instead of 50' easy it was 55' easy. All good.

Wednesday

1 minute on/off tempo fartlek

This was a pure on the fly session. My plan was to run about 30 minutes and then assess how I things were going. Then maybe some strides or pick ups. After nearly 7km I decided to go with 1 minute on tempo, 1 minute jog x11 so covering 4.95km on the fartlek. The average pace for the on was 3:45/km or 6:02/mi. It went fine no problems and overall I found it quite effortless. I was was wearing my clown shoes the Nike Invincible so no ping. I was coming up to the 1 hour just 1.4km cool down as I needed to get home.

Thursday

45 minutes easy/recovery

8.68km @ 5:14/km or 8:25/mi

Pull the pace back, grand.

Friday

2x 2mile tempo with 90seconds easy recovery

I was back at the Ballaghaderreen Community park for this session. I did use the park for the warm up and cool down but I opted forbthe main session on a 1.8km loop on the roads around the park mainly because it was quite windy, so using the buildings and trees for shelter. Warm was 3km followed by drills and activations. Then a few strides untimed.

The 1.8km loop while flat enough has a 11 mts elevation gain which I think is ideal for tempo efforts. The first 2mile was 12:18 so that's a 3:49/km pace average without looking at the watch much. The 2nd 2 mile was the exact same 12:18 again. It had crossed my mind when planning this session to finish with 1km or even 2x1km at maybe 5mile race pace. But given only one day between the light fartlek and this session I decided against it. Actually after the 2nd 2 mile I could feel my left sole bothering me a little. But after a couple of minutes of shuffling it went away then I did about 3km cool down in the park track

Saturday

Rest day again. I was itching for a run today but I said last week I'd leave it at 5 days a week for a while. Actually with family commitments today I'd be putting myself under serious pressure to get a recovery run done so there wouldn't be any point. Also today was supposed to be my first race back since summer 2020 with a local 10km road race so a big fat DNS. Rank condition but I would have loved to be there.

Sunday

Easy 95 minutes

19.67km @ 4:52/km or 7:50/mile

Mixture of roads and trail on loops close to home if I had to pull the plug. Boring enough but it went great today. I could have gone longer but I've to be mindful of this dam sole.

5 days running 66km quite happy with that week.

Monday

AM: 50 minutes Easy

10.16km @ 4:56/km or 7:56/mi

All good. Always difficult getting out of bed before 6am and straight into a run. 

Tuesday 

AM: 3x 10 minutes tempo with 60 seconds off recovery 

Another morning run due to work reasons. Quite blustery during my warm up of just over 2.4km (1.5mi) and I was running a bit late so no actuation, drills, and strides. I really need them for a morning session it makes it so much easier. As I was about to start the first 10 minutes tempo the wind picked up and it started slashing rain. It was really cold running into that head wind and rain, character building conditions. I was questioning my sanity putting myself through that hardship with only 6 hours sleep. Actually with the mild winter and lack of races I think I lost some of my grit so I need to embrace these conditions more often. I should have had 90 seconds to 2 minutes float recovery but I just stopped and walked for 60 seconds recovery instead. The 2nd 10 minutes tempo was easier with the wind and rain on my back. Towards the end of that rep the rain stopped so I took of my jacket for the final rep. I opted to do a loop around town instead of running out the road into the wind again (getting soft) I found the last one alot smoother as I had woken up fully. Then a 3km cool down just short of 2 mile.

3x 10 minutes tempo average paces

3:53/km (6:15/mi)

3:52/km (6:13/mi)

3:52/km (6:13/mi)

Wednesday

Rest day. All good.

Thursday

AM: 50 minutes easy

10.4km @ 4:53/km or 7:52/mi

Morning run of mainly consisting of loops in the forest trail with my headlamp on. Nice morning for it.

Friday 

PM: 4x 1km @ 10 mile pace, 1km @ +30seconds float continuous.

My intention was to do this session in the morning but with the storm warnings I decided to hold off although I knew it would put me under pressure.

Warm up of 3km not much time for activationsor drills. Dry but a strong cold wind. I decided to run the 10 mile pace stuff with a trail wind and then the float recovery with the headwind. So because I had the tailwind on the 10 mile pace kms I was a fair faster than if I was to race a 10miler at the moment. My toes went numb with the cold which is very rare. As the session went on my found I was doing my float km faster to stay warm. Cool down of 2km 

4x 1km @ 10mi pace, 1km float times

3:41, 4:10

3:41, 4:04

3:41, 4:01

3:39, 4:01

8km in 30:58 solid enough 

Saturday 

Rest day again I'm sticking with 5 days a week for the moment. I woke up to the place covered in snow so I was glad to have got my session done yesterday. I was considering taking Friday a rest day and doing the session today.

I registered for Dunshaughlin 10km and Roscomon 10 mile races today. Sub 36 is the aim for Dunshaughlin I'm saying that now!

Sunday 

AM: Easy 100 minutes 

21.17km @ 4:48/km or 7:43/mile 

Really wild out there!! Wind and driving rain. I had planned incorporating a local 5km into this run but it was cancelled.

5 days running 67km. I'm delighted with that week given the conditions 

Good to see I wasn’t the only one feeling a bit wimpy this week with conditions (definitely not feeling)

great alternating session as well looking strong that sub 36 is definitely good target for Dunshaughlin who knows if all stars align might be able to catch you along the way there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You wont have any trouble finding people to work with in Dunshaughlin anyway thats for sure. Very high quality and dense field.

prob be the other way around given where we both are fitness wise

Last weekend was I delighted to see one of my training partners with Dermots group race a 2:41 marathon in Saville. Two years ago I was pacer her now it would be the other way around given my bad luck. I think it was just 2020 or 2021 she managed to go sub 3 there. She also set a club record for her club.

All evening runs this week except for Sunday morning.

Monday

50 minutes Easy

10.4km @ 4:51/km or 7:48/mi

Tuesday

4x 1km cruise with 60 seconds off recovery plus 3x1km progression with 2 minutes off recovery.

For me cruise would be faster than tempo pace without forcing it. So just a relaxed faster pace which is a very general way to describe it I know. On the 3x1km progression again keep it relaxed but aim to finish the last one hard enough but not flat out. Breezy enough but good conditions overall tonight. 3km warm up plus drills and activations and another 3km cool down. Which shouldn't count as my weekly mileage apparently!

4x1km splits

3:44, 3:38, 3:46, 3:43

3x1km splits

3:35, 3:33, 3:25

Wednesday

Rest day. All good today

Thursday

50 minutes easy

10.5km @ 4:49/km or 7:45/mi

Mainly on the forest trail to avoid the lingering snow that fell last night.

Friday

4x2km with 90 seconds off recovery

This session was targeting my goal 10 mile pace but its probably my 10km if I was to race at the moment. Warm up of 3km not much time for activations or drills this evening. Cool down 3km as well. The good thing about this session is I didn't really find it taxing so I pushed the last one on a little bit more. I've a fair bit to go but I think I can target a sub 37 10km at Easter.

4x2km splits

7:23, 7:25, 7:23, 7:18

Saturday

Rest day

Sunday

Easy 100 minutes

21.11km @ 4:48/km or 7:43/mile

Drizzly morning but quite enjoyable. I headed out to my home parish for this run I've been avoiding going out home because of the hills but I'm confident my achillies is good again to resume running the hills again. 248m elevation gain on this run.

5 days running. Two great sessions and a hilly long run. 70km in total this week. I'm delighted with that week again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Some really good sessions in there. Building nicely.

Very good week. Nicely done

• Advertisement

Meant to ask - why shouldnt warmup and cooldown count towards weekly mileage?

Advertisement