Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I entered my first race since lockdown. A dirty, hilly 10km along the coast in late July. :)

Half way through the year. I miss racing but I can't complain with 1875km or 1165miles. Just two races Raheney 5 mile in January and a PB of 28:35 and then a local 5km the following week on heavy legs 17:34. I've done three 5km time trials 17:14, 17:09, 16:59 and one poor attempt of a mile TT in 5:08. I did miss six consecutive days with a slight injury in mid March. Hopefully I can ticking over and fingers crossed things some way normal in Autumn/Winter

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

Easy 60 minutes.
    13.1km @ 4:37/km

Wednesday

Easy 60 minutes including 6x10 seconds hills towards the end.
    12.5km @ 4:50/km

Thursday

Back with the BAD crew on the track for the 1st time since lockdown. Perfect evening, the only good evening all week. Traffic was cat in town, I was going to be late so I parked up and jogged down to the track so warm up was a bit longer than usual. It was great to catch up with everyone and rub shoulders with some big names in Irish athletics.

Warm up 5.7km plus all the usual. I always feel more relaxed doing my activations and drills on the track than on the side of the road.

4km progression tempo plus 10x 300 with 100 jog recovery

For the 4km progression our targets were 4:10, 4:00, 3:50, 3:40. I was second in my group for the first km then took the lead and paced it as we started a bit hot. Getting back in the habit of pacing will take a while as I've been using pre programmed on my Garmin since lockdown.

Splits
    4:02, 3:57, 3:47, 3:39

On the 300s I was targeting 58-59seconds. I went away to hard on the first one but I got in the swing of it was it went on

Splits
    53, 55, 57, 57, 57, 57, 59, 59, 57, 56

Cool down 3km

Friday

Easy 10 miles. My legs were heavy after yesterdays session so I didn't didn't do it on my hilly route.
    16.1km @4:42/km

Saturday

45 minutes easy
    9.3km @ 4:50/km

Sunday

Because I did my session on Thursday instead of Wednesday like usual so I moved my Saturday session to Sunday. I decided to do a long run with something rather than just a session or a plain long run. The last time I combined a long run with a session was 5 weeks ago when I ran a 10 mile progression. I think it's good for a 5 to 10km runner like myself to do the odd longer session every so often. I considered doing another mile progression but I went with session I do in the early build up stages to racing a half instead.

5x2km with 1km float recovery

I was going to target some where between 3:45 and 3:48/km on the 2km but it was really windy out so I pulled it back so not to be forcing it too much. My splits weren't as smooth as I'd like but that was more like January not July today. I kept the 1km float recovery honest enough somewhere between 4:25 - 4:20/km

Just over 3km warm up

2km splits

7:38, 7:40, 7:35, 7:46, 7:35

I averaged between 3:53-3:48/km on those 2kms

Cool down 3km

Total distance 89.1km with 6 days running.

I've been asked to work evening shift for a while. I'll see how it goes. From a running point of view it will mean I'll miss out on track on Wednesday evenings but should be able to make the Saturday morning session. It will take a while to get in the swing of things.

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

Gloomy non stop drizzle but not a breeze for a change. For the first time in ages on a run I was just was like meh.

Easy 50 minutes plus 6x 10 seconds hills
    12.14km @ 4:43/km

Wednesday

8km tempo

Warm up 3.4km plus all the usuals. I did my warm up in the forest trail which was closed due the forestry cutting down trees. It made me a bit ad seeing how it was left after them. Still hasn't lost all its charm but not quite the same.

For the tempo I used the same route for last Sundays 5x2km. I couldn't believe how busy the road was on a Wednesday late morning. I wouldn't say I executed the tempo perfectly but it wasn't bad either. Overall I was very happy it to be honest, all very controlled. I was trying to gain fitness not prove fitness.

8km tempo in 30:33

Cool down 3km

Thursday

Peach of a day. I was back on my hilly 10 mile route. I avoided this route last week because the legs were heavy. Great run, low heart rate and really light on my feet. 235m elevation gain on this run.

16.1km @4:38/km

Friday

50 minutes. This included a short hike/jog up a hill beside me and one loop on the top. A new trail was recently added to the hill to make it more accessible to tourists. I took it easy going up the hill. Same elevation gain as yesterday, and like yesterdays run spectacular views on a peach of a day. I added some photos to my Strava.

10km @ 5:14/km

Saturday

6x1km with between 60 and 90 seconds recovery

Great crew out this morning, and few who have wore the Irish singlet on more than one occasion. I used to think I did a long enough warm up but today it was 6km. Really easy like 6:00/km plus then progressed on to sub 4:45/km then the activations, drills and strides. Nearly a hour before we got going! I actually needed that for a AM session to get going today. I know the fast guys are doing their thing on the track and da da da but it's cool to watch how they approach a session. Really enjoyed this session. 5 out of the 6 were controlled I tried to push the last one, the first but 400 was 73s. Way too hot. The next 400 I suffered and managed to just about hold on for the final 200. I think if I controlled this last km better instead of going hard at the start it would have been 3:20 or lower. Really enjoyable session,my coach thinks I'm in great form I feel good too. The recovery was a walk/shuffle across the football pitch so the time varied but coach didn't let me get too comfortable so between 60 and 90 seconds

6x1km splits
    3:30, 3:26, 3:25, 3:24, 3:23, 3:22

Cool down 3.5km I has short on time so i couldn't go with the crew on their 5km

Sunday

At work sunday I started to feel unwell so I went home early. I started to get worse and it was getting difficult to breathe. I rang GP on Monday he was concerned because of my symptoms and sent me for a covid test. Thankfully I didn't have covid just a bad chest infection. I've responded well and hope to get back to running soon but I won't rush it. Mad how quick things can turn when you feel the fittest you've ever been to 24 hours later really miserable. Your health is your wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Did you pick up a pair of Endorphin Speeds in the end Sean? Cant remember....

• Advertisement

In the post. Got them from Alltricks :)

Yeah nothing doing in my size anywhere. As my Boards activity shows today, I have a goo on me to buy a pair of runners! Watch this space.... :)

What size are you? TC Running company in the US have various sizes. I don't know if address pal will work for that shop. Might get stung by customs too so could end up been very expensive shoes
    https://tcrunningco.com/products/mens-endorphin-speed-10-white-mutant?variant=31583064588311

Thanks Seán. Mate got stung badly on a pair of Alphaflys from the US a little while back so I won't risk the customs charge :) I bought a pair of NB Fuelcell TC in the end today....

I haven't updated my log here the past few weeks since I was off 5 days sick. Yesterday I ran my first race since lockdown, The day of the Irish PBs 5000m.I had unfinished business here having a DNF previously here. I wasn't sure how this race would go, I haven't really been feeling it the past few weeks. But saying that I knew I had solid block of training behind me so I knew I'd still be close to my target time 16:59

When I was leaving home it was cool and wet, big difference in the east! I arrived in good time then did a 2.5km shakeout I was sweating during that. I met AuldManKing then, good to catch up again. Registered and chilled out for a bit before starting my warm up of just over 3km. I did my activations and drills in the shade before heading to the track where I just did a few strides. By now the sun was going down. Perfect race conditions I couldn't ask for better.

My first 200 was 38 seconds and 79 for the first 400. I was aiming for 81-82 but it felt good I never looked at my watch again after that first 400 and just went with the pacer. After 2 laps it started to spread out a bit. You could see a solid group working together ahead of the pacer aiming for mid 16s. I was looking my laps on popupraces they were all very similar and bang on 81-82 seconds. The whole race was very smooth if I'm honest except that last lap I was working hard but I didn't kick until 100 to go I wish I kicked sooner maybe 200. That last lap was 76 seconds. I was delighted to see sub 17 on the clock. 16:51.82 to be exact

Chatting to AMK afterwards he was saying I've made great progress. I just looked at the first page of the log two years ago I ran a 18:20 5km. I've really enjoyed the process. I did another 3k cool down before heading back to the rain. Brilliant event. I wish there was more open meets like this around the country. It would be a great way get road runners involved in athletics.

• Advertisement

I was watching race on FB, and wasn't checking splits. I actually thought you were wearing the club singlet as there was a guy in a yellow singlet who was gradually falling off the 17min group each lap. It was only when i checked the results i realised that wasn't you :) great run. Never in doubt for me that you were gonna go sub 17 💪 even since the the Jingle Bells you've been improving consistently. Fair play.

I was watching race on FB, and wasn't checking splits. I actually thought you were wearing the club singlet as there was a guy in a yellow singlet who was gradually falling off the 17min group each lap. It was only when i checked the results i realised that wasn't you :) great run. Never in doubt for me that you were gonna go sub 17 💪 even since the the Jingle Bells you've been improving consistently. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great stuff S. Out of interest is there anything in particular you out the improvement down to? Just consistency?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Super time! Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great running, fair play.. as a matter of interest, was it mainly spikes or carbon runners on show?

healy1835 wrote: »
    I was watching race on FB, and wasn't checking splits. I actually thought you were wearing the club singlet as there was a guy in a yellow singlet who was gradually falling off the 17min group each lap.
    He was from a neighbouring club of mine, 17:10 great time and a PB
    Great stuff S. Out of interest is there anything in particular you out the improvement down to? Just consistency?
    Consistency is key. But you have to take ownership of your training and embrace the process. I think training with guys on a higher level than me helps a lot too. Finally the biggest factor for is Dermot McDermott he's fantastic. I'd be nowhere near the level I'm at now without his input.

Great running, fair play.. as a matter of interest, was it mainly spikes or carbon runners on show?
    Very few spikes in my race, the pacer had them and I think one or two more. The majority had Nike carbon plates including myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's a great event alright - glad to see it take place this year, first one I've missed!

Great result, well done.

Race week standard

Monday

45 minutes easy with 6x10 hills included
    9.5km @4:46/km

Tuesday

3km steady plus 2x pyramids

Over 4km warm up plus all the usual drills and activations

3km Steady

4:07, 4:01, 4:04
    200 float before going straight into the pyramids.

Pyramids

100, 200, 300, 200, 100, 200, 300, 200, 100 all with 200 jog recovery.
    Between 2:50‐3:10/km pace for the on and close to 5:00/km on the recovery

3km cool down

Wednesday

30 minutes easy
    6.3km @4:51/km

Thursday

25 minutes easy including 4x10 seconds hills. I normally shuffle recovery on the hills but a walk recovery today.
    5km @4:58/k

Friday

Day of the Irish PBs

Shakeout 2.5km
    Warm up 3.15km
    Strides 600m

5000m in 16:51

Cool down 3.16km

I'm still buzzing about that one to be honest.

Saturday

I had to swap Saturday and Sundays run due to work. Not ideal but hey.

17km @ 4:47/km

A good few people stopped me or drove along side me congratulating me on my PB which was nice.

Sunday

60 minutes easy in the forest
    12.4km @4:51/km

Total distance 78.7km with 7 days running and a brand spanking new PB

Same distance as last week which I didn't log here. I had planned a 10k race on Monday so I had choose either the 5000m the 10km. I'm glad I picked the PBs. If covid 19 doesn't kick off again I hope to race a 10km on September 19th on a honest course. If give me a few weeks to get in shape for it.

My splits on strava which aren't the most accurate for track were the following
    3:20, 3:22, 3:22, 3:20, 3:18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Congrats on the 5k time. Sounded like it was very controlled.

I was taking this week as a easy week from a running point of view after my PB. I was on little break in Cork and Kerry. We were visiting some family in Cork but mainly kept to ourselves and lots of hiking and driving

Monday

No running

Tuesday

60 minutes easy on the greenway between Carrigaline and Crosshaven. Nice facility, I don't often get to run for a hour on a flat route.

13km @4:37/km

Wednesday

40 minutes easy in Cork. I stayed along the Lee so nice and flat again

8.6km @4:41/km

Thursday

40 minutes easy in Bantry

8.58/km 4:42/km

Friday

Stopped off in Limerick on our way home Thursday night. Arrived at the hotel at 10pm I was wrecked so a bit of a sleep in Friday morning before another 40 minutes easy in Cratloe woods. Brilliant place to run, it's similar to a few places I run around at my home. Limerick lads should get up there more often for easy or long runs.

9.37 km @4:39/km

Another 1km at the hotel 3:35/km

Saturday

60 minutes easy with 6x10 seconds hills. Mainly in the forest at home

13km @4:44/km

Sunday

2km, 8x400, 2km
    Target 2km in 7:00, 8x400 in 75s, 2km in 7:00

4km warm up, plus all the usuals activations, drills, and strides.

Great crew out for this one. A good shock to the system after the easy week. 2km in 7:00 I was on my own for that bit. Then 2 minutes standing recovery before hoping on the pain train. Hugh was running 6 mile at 75s per lap pacing the crew so it worked out well. Really I should have only have been given myself 60 seconds recovery but with the heat the aim was keep the quality and to get a good turn over so the extra 15 seconds helped a lot as I shuffled about waiting for the crew. My 400s were 75, 75, 74, 75, 73, 76, 76, 75. Average just under 75 seconds. For the last 2km I was on my own again the 1st km was 3:31 but I died on the 2nd km 7:13 in total for 2km. 3km cool down with half it on grass.

Total distance down a bit this week 69km with 6 days running

I ran my first 3000m today in a graded meet. I was in the sub 10 race. It was a strong field, my buddy won it in 8:4x My race didn't go to plan a few things really the biggest was that I tripped and fell with 500m to go. Not sure what happened. I've a nasty gash on my shoulder and a few other scrapes. But I got up as quickly as I could and finished the race in either 10 flat or 9:59. I'll do a quick report on it with my weekly log. I'm going talking a few days off I've been struggling with a pain in my right foot since the 25th of July it's not getting better so I'll see how it is Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great stuff. You'll have to give yourself the sub 10 there on account of the fall surely. I'm counting it for you anyway :)

Looking forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the pain of the 3k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Take care S, that fall sounds nasty man.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Take care S, that fall sounds nasty man.
    I'm sound hardy bucks out west, the only thing that got hurt was my ego :)

Great stuff. You'll have to give yourself the sub 10 there on account of the fall surely. I'm counting it for you anyway :)

Looking forward to hearing how much you enjoyed the pain of the 3k too.
    9:59 official. I didn't make it hurt as much as I'd like unfortunately I think I'd have held that pace for another 2km in a track race

After the day of the PBs in Leixlip I got taste of track racing so when my coach texted me Monday about a meet in Finn Valley it didn't take much to convince me to travel up the 2 hours on a Friday evening, especially now with road racing at minimum.

Really hot day here on Friday between 22 and 26 degrees on the car heading up but as the gun went off while it was warm it almost ideal racing conditions. I would have liked it to be a bit cooler but the sight breeze helped. I don't mind it been warm as long as the humidity is okay. When we arrived I was really impressed with the facilities and the warm welcome up there. I did feel out off place this environment as this was something new to me. I did feel intimidated and very nervous. It was different to the day of the PBs atmosphere wise, not in a good way or bad way just different.

My coach was texting me on the way up saying not to over heat in the warm up so I tried to stay in the shade as much as possible we did a few laps of the football pitch on a grass surface before moving on to do our activations and a few drills. I nearly forgot to put on my singlet and number I was little bit all over the place with nerves but once I started doing my strides I was focused again. I went through my race strategy that my coach talked about before the race. Aim for 3:10 for the 1st km so 76seconds per lap, work hard on that 2nd km try and push for 76s but no slower than 78s which is 3:15/km and the last km will take care of itself just dig in and get on the pain train and get that 9:4x.

In my race there was 15 runners so the slower guys like myself were put on the usual start line the faster lads 8 had the staggered start. "On your marks, foot behind the line. Don't go on the whistle" then silence. The whistle goes off then more silence again the adrenaline is something else a few seconds later the gun goes off and its game time. I knew the first 200 would be hot, I think around 35 second I glimpsed on the clock. Actually the first 400 was 73 but this didn't bother me I knew it would settle after that. The race started to open up the lads aiming for low 9/sub 9 were starting to open up already. In my group of 4 I think I sat back tight in behind the two lads as we hit the 1km mark I was 3:11. This was going good my mind started to drift a bit as I can do in sessions when I've someone good pacing me or even in the day of the PBs with the pacer. I was spoiled on last Sundays session with Hugh Armstrong pacing us on those 400s I could just switch off let him to the work. Day dreaming or not staying switched on is one of my biggest flaws that's why I enjoy when Dermot gets me to pace some of the younger ones on the track it holds me more accountable.

That 2nd km was where my race went south. I actually don't remember too much from those two and a half laps just that it felt way to comfortable. This isn't hurting enough! This was 5k pace! It crossed my mind to make a push and drop this group after 600m into this km but I said I'd wait until the 2km mark. I think I had some fear of been isolated as the lads who dropped off the lead group where still to far ahead to catch. 2km my my watch 3:23 not good but I've still a sub 10 on the cards.

Just go, just go! I tell myself. The girl in our group made a move first on the curve so do I. I wait until after the curve to make a move on her. As I dig in more I don't hear the breeding behind me anymore. I'm fully switched on again. I can see one of the lads ahead of me who dropped of the mid group I focus on him. I hear on the PA the lead guys are on their last lap. No way am I going to be lapped. 500m to go dig in harder. Then suddenly with 450m I'm on the ground. It felt like forever but watching the Facebook live footage when I got home it was just a couple of seconds. Death before DNF flashed crossed my mind I'm finishingthis race. I'm back racing again, I don't get lapped either. I think I clipped the raised plastic board around the track. It doesn't matter really what caused the fall. I made this last 400 hurt I'm still trying to catch the guy a head of me but I forget about him as I'm into that last 100. I'm not wearing my glasses but I can see the clock I can still get a sub 10. I'm going as hard as I can. Garmin tells my 100 my pace is 2:46/km Ijust empty the tank. I glimpse at the clock 10 minutes flat as I cross the line. The guy ahead of me is 9:55

I don't want to think as I lean over on the fence. Did I get that sub 10? Mixed emotions I'm still pumped on adrenaline its great to be back racing but I didn't get that 9:4x target. My buddy comes over to see how I am. He was second actually I said first in the previous post. We exchange stories. I start to feel that pain in my foot as I walk over to the car. I checked my phone Dermot is checking am I okay he was watching on Facebook live. Then a quick change of shoes and a few more laps on the grass football pitches. I'm on my own for the first half as I reflect on that race. I think I'm happy and I focus on the positives.

That was a great experience, its going to stand to me.
    I really ejoyed that, especially the last kilometre.
    As embarrassing as the fall was it didn't phase me.
    Don't be worried about been isolated, just run brave I got up and ran as hard as I could.
    I'm very confident I can hold a 3:20/km pace in a 5km if I stay switched on and focused and get it controlled.

Afterwards I didn't go looking official results as I was in a hurry home I needed to me up for work at 630 I knew I'd get them online. I see a text from Dermot telling me my official time 9.59.8! Its really positive as always. Ah the relief at least it was sub 10. As always a restless night sleep after a PM race. I'm wrecked today but my legs are fine. Id love a shakeout but I better take a few days off to see if my foot will improve.

Credit to Finn Valley AC on that meet and their facilities. I'm really grateful to FVAC for giving me the opportunity to race 3000m as someone who came late to athletics and would see myself more of a road runner than a track. I really wished more clubs would organise meets like that especially clubs with facilities like that on their doorstep. Look at Castlegar in Galway, they don't have the facilities but they are putting on excellent meets on grass. If you are someone like me late to athletics and feeling a bit out of place at a track meet I would definitely recommend getting on the track for a few races taking you out of that comfort zone I think it will make you a better runner . My first track race was a DNF there's no place to hide it's a horrible feeling but you will do your best never do DNF again I showed it after my fall yesterday. Thanks for reading.

Just to add two of my goals from the "2020 goals" thread were a sub 17 5k and a sub 10 3k. Having achieved both of those in that 3 weeks especially given how the year turned out you can't knock that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done on getting yourself back up from that and still finishing sub 10. Great few week there!

• Advertisement

MY BAD wrote: »
    Just to add two of my goals from the "2020 goals" thread were a sub 17 5k and a sub 10 3k. Having achieved both of those in that 3 weeks especially given how the year turned out you can't knock that.

Won't be too many of us hitting those 2020 goals this year Sean :)

Advertisement