Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2018-2019 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyone else see this?
    Brendan Fanning in Sunday Independent saying Energia will come on board as sponsors for a three-season deal with an option for a fourth.
    And that the IRFU are involved in independently chaired meetings with clubs across the divisions over how best to restructure the competition. The next meeting with the Division 1A clubs is scheduled for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good to see a sponsor come on board at the very least

Mc Love wrote: »
    Good to see a sponsor come on board at the very least
    What else would you like to see?

This weeks fixtures

1A
    Shannon v Terenure 1.30pm
    Trinity v Cork Con
    Garryowen v Clontarf
    Lansdowne v UCD
    UCC v Young Munster
    1B
    Ballynahinch v Old Belvedere
    Banbridge v Naas
    Malone v Armagh
    Old Wesley v Buccaneers
    Marys v Ballymena
    2A
    Friday 8pm
    Blackrock v Navan
    Nenagh v Bohs
    Saturday
    Galwegians v Queens
    Highfield v Cashel
    Old Crescent v Dolphin
    2B
    Friday 8pm
    Skerries v Wanderers
    Saturday
    Belfast Harlequins v Dungannon
    Rainey Old Boys v Greystones
    Sundays Well v Corinthians
    Sligo v Barnhall
    2C
    Bangor v Midleton
    Bruff v Tullamore
    Malahide v Ballina
    Omagh v Thomond
    Seapoint v City of Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Teams for the Cara Cup game in Boston below.

An awful lot of players who could / should be playing AIL this weekend:

CONNACHT EAGLES: Colm de Buitlear; Hugh Lane, Corey Reid, Sean O’Brien, Conor Hayes; Conor Dean, James Mitchell; Jordan Duggan, Jonny Murphy, Conor Kenny, Peter Claffey, Joe Maksymiw (capt), Sean Masterson, James Connolly, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Declan Adamson, Conan O’Donnell, Neal Moylett, Cian Huxford, Stephen Kerins, Luke Carty, Oran McNulty.

ULSTER ‘A’: Iwan Hughes; Graham Curtis, Stewart Moore, Ben Power, Jack Owens; Johnny McPhillips, Michael Stronge; Peter Cooper, Zack McCall, Ross Kane, JJ McKee, Jack Regan, Caleb Montgomery, Marcus Rea (capt), Joe Dunleavy.

Replacements: Claytan Milligan, Callum Reid, Corrie Barrett, Bradley Luney, David McCann, Charlie Clarke, Lewis Finlay, Bruce Houston, Ben McCaughey.

Very interesting discussion regarding these games on https://open.spotify.com/episode/1zGpM1FYAfLP0cSsh6KYJa?si=oeRXt9ssSmmN7dgBewWOmg

The lads make a good point, that the club players that arent in the academy or are in the sub academy are getting called, whats the point of getting them used to game if they're just going to return to their clubs without a contract.

• Advertisement

Stainalert wrote: »
    Teams for the Cara Cup game in Boston below.

An awful lot of players who could / should be playing AIL this weekend:

CONNACHT EAGLES: Colm de Buitlear; Hugh Lane, Corey Reid, Sean O’Brien, Conor Hayes; Conor Dean, James Mitchell; Jordan Duggan, Jonny Murphy, Conor Kenny, Peter Claffey, Joe Maksymiw (capt), Sean Masterson, James Connolly, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Declan Adamson, Conan O’Donnell, Neal Moylett, Cian Huxford, Stephen Kerins, Luke Carty, Oran McNulty.

ULSTER ‘A’: Iwan Hughes; Graham Curtis, Stewart Moore, Ben Power, Jack Owens; Johnny McPhillips, Michael Stronge; Peter Cooper, Zack McCall, Ross Kane, JJ McKee, Jack Regan, Caleb Montgomery, Marcus Rea (capt), Joe Dunleavy.

Replacements: Claytan Milligan, Callum Reid, Corrie Barrett, Bradley Luney, David McCann, Charlie Clarke, Lewis Finlay, Bruce Houston, Ben McCaughey.
    Players will want these kind of trips and A games are needed. Do we need to go down this road again?
    Timing is ****e but A games/trips are necessary evil
    Very interesting discussion regarding these games on https://open.spotify.com/episode/1zGpM1FYAfLP0cSsh6KYJa?si=oeRXt9ssSmmN7dgBewWOmg

The lads make a good point, that the club players that arent in the academy or are in the sub academy are getting called, whats the point of getting them used to game if they're just going to return to their clubs without a contract.
    Academy/sub academy can fight for a contract and coaches can see them in a setting they cant if theyre with clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Any truth to the rumours about a 1A Club being docked points due to a falling out with a foreign player who was being paid and the club? I think the club is appealing. Apparently the foreign player went to the IRFU after the falling out and the payment was revealed then. Everyone knows money is changing hands in the AIL but seems a bit much to dock points - rules are rules until you get caught I suppose.

Any truth to the rumours about a 1A Club being docked points due to a falling out with a foreign player who was being paid and the club? I think the club is appealing. Apparently the foreign player went to the IRFU after the falling out and the payment was revealed then. Everyone knows money is changing hands in the AIL but seems a bit much to dock points - rules are rules until you get caught I suppose.

Strong rumours are floating about alright. I believe it is pay the fine or be docked points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I assume everyone else is alro racking their brains trying to figure out which club had a foreign player that hasn't been playing recently, that being the most obvious scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I assume everyone else is alro racking their brains trying to figure out which club had a foreign player that hasn't been playing recently, that being the most obvious scenario.

DgsAkO7WAAAYNUa.jpg

• Advertisement

Tonights results
    2A
    Rock 14 Navan 39
    Nenagh 10 Bohs 5
    Huge win for Nenagh as theyre now 7 points ahead of Blackrock in 9th. Rock host Nenagh next time out in penultimate round before Nenagh host Navan and Rock travel to Wegians
    If Nenagh get win they'll be safe.
    Navan stay third.
    2B
    Skerries 29 Wanderers 26

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Highfield promoted to 1B after their win over Cashel today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Barnhall promoted to 2A as champions after winning 22-11 away to Sligo. Our Ladies also were victors in the Div 3 final against Trinity (12-10). Great day for the club!

1A
    Shannon 12 Terenure College 18
    Dublin University 5 Cork Con 13
    Garryowen 12 Clontarf 29
    Lansdowne 57 UCD 31
    UCC 13 Young Munster 10

1B
    Ballynahinch 34 Old Belvedere 27
    Banbridge 21 Naas 42
    Malone 16 Armagh 7
    Old Wesley 29 Buccaneers 13
    St Marys 74 Ballymena 15

2A
    Galwegians 7 Queen’s University 73
    Highfield 27 Cashel 24
    Old Crescent 14 Dolphin 15
    Blackrock College 14 Navan 39
    Nenagh Ormond 10 UL Bohemians 5

2B
    Belfast Harlequins 10 Dungannon 8
    Rainey Old Boys 35 Greystones 19
    Sundays Well 55 Galway Corinthians 13
    Sligo 11 MU Barnhall 22
    Skerries 29 Wanderers 26

2C
    Bangor 20 Midleton 22
    Bruff 31 Tullamore 5
    Malahide 38 Ballina 17
    Omagh 24 Thomond 10
    Seapoint 33 City of Derry 13

Con 1st home to Trinity most likely and then Clontarf, Lansdowne in other semi.
    1 of Terenure, Shannon, Young Munster relegated with another in playoff

Wesley and Ballynahinch top, 5 clear of Malone and Naas. Armagh, Marys and Belvedere still hopeful of playoff spots.
    Belvedere could also end up in relegation playoff which Buccs are currently in with Banbridge also fighting to avoid it. Ballymena relegated

Highfield champions. Cashel likely to be second, Navan third, Queens fourth.
    Wegians relegated. Blackrock currently in ninth and playoff spot but are 6 points behind 8th place Nenagh who they play next in Stradbrook before they travel to Galwegians while Nenagh host Navan in the final round

Barnhall champions. Greystones second. third most likely Rainey and fourth Sligo
    Sundays Well are tenth 4 points behind Belfast Harlequins and they face off in Cork in next round. Well need to avoid defeat to avoid automatic relegation while quins win and they keep chances of avoiding playoff open

I said several times i didnt think it would happen and disappointed if it will be the case but all connacht clubs bar Buccs will be in 2B next season with Ballina 6 clear at top of 2C though they do play second Midleton in final round. two of Bruff, Malahide and Omagh to be in promotion playoffs.
    Thomond to be relegated to junior as 8 adrift at the bottom. Seapoint, City of Derry are on 27 and Bangor and Tullamore 26 points all trying to avoid second bottom and playoff with round robin second place

1 of Terenure, Shannon, Young Munster relegated with another in playoff

Not necessarily. Technically as unlikely as it is UCD can still be automatically relegated I believe

Not necessarily. Technically as unlikely as it is UCD can still be automatically relegated I believe
    I saw that its a possibility just didnt list them as cant see happening as would require most unlikely of results with Cookies having to play both Shannon and Terenure in their final 2 games and then other games as well

I saw that its a possibility just didnt list them as cant see happening as would require most unlikely of results with Cookies having to play both Shannon and Terenure in their final 2 games and then other games as well
    Terenure win both games, YM beat Shannon but Shannon get losing bonus, Shannon win last game, UCC beat UCD, UCD lose second last game no bonuses.

Or Terenure win both, Shannon beat YM with bonus, YM get 4 bonus points, Shannon get losing bonus, UCC beat UCD, UCD get no bonuses.

Either of them sees UCD automatically relegated and they're not beyond the realms of possibility.

Terenure win both games, YM beat Shannon but Shannon get losing bonus, Shannon win last game, UCC beat UCD, UCD lose second last game no bonuses.

Or Terenure win both, Shannon beat YM with bonus, YM get 4 bonus points, Shannon get losing bonus, UCC beat UCD, UCD get no bonuses.

Either of them sees UCD automatically relegated and they're not beyond the realms of possibility.
    Dont see that happening. Just cant see UCD getting nothing from both colours and UCC game.
    Or Terenure winning both games
    I think both those scenarios are highly unlikely.

Dont see that happening. Just cant see UCD getting nothing from both colours and UCC game.
    Or Terenure winning both games
    I think both those scenarios are highly unlikely.

With UCD anythings possible, and the form Terenure are in also anything is possible.

Clonmel won Munster junior league today and join Connemara, Enniscorthy and winner of Ulster(Ballyclare or Instonians) in round robin
    Instonians won Ulster league yesterday.
    Clonmel and Enniscorthy will have 2 home games in the round robin so may have advantage from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I'd say UCD will survive - try bp's or losing bp's in both of their last games and they'll be okay.

Cookies will beat anyone from 1B in Greenfields should they finish 9th.

1B being so competitive this year kind of shows that the teams in it probably aren't cut out for 1A yet. Bar some massive recruitment by whoever comes up, I can't see them surviving in 1A next season.

Terenure were dead and buried at Christmas, and its a phenomenal turnaround for them. The next game away to Tarf will be interesting, you'd have to think Tarf will take that, especially chasing that home semi with LFC breathing down their necks. Then a final day battle with YM to probably decide 8/9/10th place, where anything could happen.

Lansdowne are in a great space to take potentially 10 points from their last two games, both at home where they haven't lost all season.

Con v DUFC
    LFC v Tarf

Con v LFC final I'd say.

It'll be interesting to how munster and Leinster A going on their pissups in the US will affect 1A teams the last two weeks

I see Ulster A squeezed by the New England Free Jacks 43 - 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

I see Ulster A squeezed by the New England Free Jacks 43 - 15.

Valuable learning experience in a highly competitive environment for all no doubt - if only the AIL could provide such a competitive environment at this year... One can only wish

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Valuable learning experience in a highly competitive environment for all no doubt - if only the AIL could provide such a competitive environment at this year... One can only wish

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭phog

A Shannon RFC Statement on the IRFU Club Affairs Committee decision

D2q7zz-XgAAehn9.jpg:large

One point is one more than we should have been punished by. The player was given money to purchase tickets on compassionate grounds and when the player stated he didnt want to come back and wished to be transferred, its only natural for the club to refuse on the grounds of being taken for a ride.

Two very tough fixtures ahead, and fingers crossed we survive.

I've heard that Hayes may be on the move, which would be devastating for the team too, especially if they do go down.

One point is one more than we should have been punished by. The player was given money to purchase tickets on compassionate grounds and when the player stated he didnt want to come back and wished to be transferred, its only natural for the club to refuse on the grounds of being taken for a ride.

Two very tough fixtures ahead, and fingers crossed we survive.

I've heard that Hayes may be on the move, which would be devastating for the team too, especially if they do go down.

Where is Hayes supposed to be going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Munster Mad

Cian Tracey wrote an article about it on the Independent, he shared it on Twitter too. Seems to be detailed enough. I can't post the linkthough ....

• Advertisement

Where is Hayes supposed to be going?

Exeter

Advertisement