Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2018-2019 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Limerick Charity Cup and Munster Senior Cup finals have been scheduled for over christmas
    Garryowen and Young Munster are in the final of Charity Cup which will be in the Markets Field on Friday December 28 at 6pm and the Munster Senior Cup final between Cork Con and Garryowen will be in Thomond Park on Saturday January 5 at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

1A
    Friday
    Garryowen v Shannon

Saturday
    UCD v Terenure
    Cork Con v Young Munster
    Lansdowne v UCC
    Clontarf v Trinity

1B
    Ballymena v Ballynahinch
    City of Armagh v Naas
    Malone v Old Wesley
    Old Belvedere v Buccaneers
    St Marys v Banbridge

Stainalert wrote: »
    1A
    Friday
    Garryowen v Shannon

Saturday
    Clontarf v Dublin University
    Cork Con v Young Munster
    Lansdowne v UCC
    Clontarf v Trinity

1B
    Ballymena v Ballynahinch
    City of Armagh v Naas
    Malone v Old Wesley
    Old Belvedere v Buccaneers
    St Marys v Banbridge
    Sure why not list division 2 games as well?
    Thoughts on games this weekend?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The top 3 should win in 1A. They're so far ahead of the rest.

1B is unpredictable as f*ck. Really tight this season.

Next weekend will be interesting in 2B if Greystones and Barnhall can win tomorrow. They play each other next week.

Garryowen Shannon game should be a good game - I think Shannon's set piece will need to improve for them to win so I am going with Garryowen

UCD should be stronger this week so Terenure will have to raise their game again. I think Terenure might sneak this one

I think Con will have too much for Munsters up front and that will be the decider

Again Tarf should have the edge up front against Trinity - There will be a lot of familiar faces on the Tarf team with so many of Trinity having joined Tarf this season. I think this probably is an advantage to Tarf as they'll have a good insight into how Trinity play.

UCC are a big unknown for Lansdowne and what has impressed me with UCC is their attack. They look very dangerous.

Think Ballynahinch will have too much for Ballymena despite Ballymena getting the win last week

Armagh and Naas look like 2 pretty well matched teams for me so siding with home advantage here

Old Wesley will find it difficult away to a fully loaded Malone team and a losing bonus point might be as much as they can hope for.

Must win game for Belvo, Buccaneers should have a bit more togetherness about them at this stage but I fancy Belvo to nail this one

Marys Banbridge is another tough call and Marys showing good form going into this but am going to go with Banbridge here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Faugheen wrote: »
    Next weekend will be interesting in 2B if Greystones and Barnhall can win tomorrow. They play each other next week.

Barnhall's match against Wanderers tomorrow has been cancelled as Wanderers President passed away last night. RIP.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

madds wrote: »
    Barnhall's match against Wanderers tomorrow has been cancelled as Wanderers President passed away last night. RIP.

That's awful news for Wanderers. RIP

Tonights results
    1A
    Garryowen 30 Shannon 29

1A
    Garryowen 30 Shannon 29
    Clontarf 12 Trinity 16
    Cork Con 26 Young Munster 3
    Lansdowne 31 UCC 15
    UCD 31 Terenure 3
    1B
    Ballymena 18 Ballynahinch 10
    Armagh 16 Naas 11
    Malone 12 Old Wesley 16
    Old Belvedere 11 Buccaneers 10
    St Mary's College 28 Banbridge 7
    2A
    Blackrock 24 Old Crescent 10
    Navan 28 Galwegians 7
    Nenagh Ormond 17 Highfield 36
    Queens University 13 Cashel 19
    UL Bohs 29 Dolphin 14
    2B
    Belfast Harlequins 10 Skerries 10
    Dungannon 17 Greystones 20
    Corinthians 17 Sligo 19
    Sundays Well 6 Rainey Old Boys 41
    2C
    Omagh 34 Seapoint 5
    Ballina 14 Bangor 12
    Malahide 19 Bruff 14
    Midleton 36 City Of Derry 7
    Thomond 17 Tullamore 27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Possible but i dont think it'll happen and hopefully not.

2 rounds for everyone before christmas break and we'll be at half way point in the league.

Galwegians bottom of 2A, Corinthians and Sligo literally mid table in 2B, and Ballina top of 2C. What do you think will change?

• Advertisement

Galwegians bottom of 2A, Corinthians and Sligo literally mid table in 2B, and Ballina top of 2C. What do you think will change?
    Just dont think Ballina necessarily will win out of 2C and Corinthians/Sligo could get out of 2B as well.
    Would rather all 4 were not in one division.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Just dont think Ballina necessarily will win out of 2C and Corinthians/Sligo could get out of 2B as well.
    Would rather all 4 were not in one division.

From looking at 2B I cannot see how Sligo/Corinthians could possibly get out ahead of Greystones or Barnhall?

Corinthians are 17 points Barnhall in 2nd, who have a game in hand and Sligo are the same?

Galwegians are certainly going to come down and Ballina are going so well. Will be 3 at least I am sure.

From looking at 2B I cannot see how Sligo/Corinthians could possibly get out ahead of Greystones or Barnhall?

Corinthians are 17 points Barnhall in 2nd, who have a game in hand and Sligo are the same?

Galwegians are certainly going to come down and Ballina are going so well. Will be 3 at least I am sure.
    You only need to make top 4 and then its playoffs and think they could get it.
    Maybe 3 but dont think and hope it will be 4

1A

Trinity v Lansdowne
    Shannon v UCD
    Terenure v Cork Con
    UCC v Garryowen
    Young Munster v Clontarf

1B

Ballynahinch V Malone
    Banbridge v City of Armagh
    Buccaneers v Ballymena
    Naas v Old Belvedere
    Old Wesley v St Marys

Stainalert could you not just post the division 2 fixtures as well....

Well here they are
    2A
    Tonight
    Old Crescent v UL Bohs
    Tomorrow
    Cashel v Navan
    Dolphin v Queens
    Galwegians v Nenagh
    Highfield v Blackrock
    2B
    Sligo v Belfast Harlequins
    Greystones v MU Barnhall
    Rainey Old Boys v Dungannon
    Skerries v Sundays Well
    Wanderers v Corinthians
    2C
    Tonight
    Bruff v Thomond
    Seapoint v Malahide
    Tomorrow
    Bangor v Omagh
    City Of Derry v Ballina
    Tullamore v Midleton

Results
    2A
    Old Crescent 10 Bohs 13
    2C
    Bruff 27 Thomond 7
    Seapoint 14 Malahide 32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Any games called off yet today...it's brutal out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wegians off the mark for the season, beating Nenagh 20-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Went to Colege Park yesterday before Aviva to wach Trinity v Lansdowne. Not a great match in fairness but Trinity never looked like scoring a try Lansdowne with some great defence all day and managed 3 tries in foul weather. Trinity as usual showed great ambition but couldn’t repeat last weeks heroics v Tarf. Have to say ref didn’t help game at all very pedantic and looked very inexperienced at this level. I would say Lansdowne would not be to happy with his scrum calls as they were clearly dominant but were strangely penalised for what obviously looked like illegal s rummaging from Trinity props plus ref overruled flag from linesman for a blatant penalty with Trinity player taking out a chasing Lansdowne player. Sylvester and co really didn’t get a chance to impress, Jack Dunne was very good and outplayed Oisin Dowling, Ronan Kelleher looked good for Lansdowne bullet of a throw in Lineout for their last try as did Harry Byrne when he came on, kicked an impressive conversion out wide in terrible conditions. Conditions not conducive to an open game that usually takes place between these two but Trinity would still be behind Lansdowne they seem to have narrowed the gap this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Tomtomfoolery

good review, cheers. Trinity looked like they might struggle in 1 A this season but they have achieved a few wins and top 4 so far is a real achievement. There are some really good 1st and 2nd years there so the runes for the future are good.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Went to Colege Park yesterday before Aviva to wach Trinity v Lansdowne. Not a great match in fairness but Trinity never looked like scoring a try Lansdowne with some great defence all day and managed 3 tries in foul weather. Trinity as usual showed great ambition but couldn’t repeat last weeks heroics v Tarf. Have to say ref didn’t help game at all very pedantic and looked very inexperienced at this level. I would say Lansdowne would not be to happy with his scrum calls as they were clearly dominant but were strangely penalised for what obviously looked like illegal s rummaging from Trinity props plus ref overruled flag from linesman for a blatant penalty with Trinity player taking out a chasing Lansdowne player. Sylvester and co really didn’t get a chance to impress, Jack Dunne was very good and outplayed Oisin Dowling, Ronan Kelleher looked good for Lansdowne bullet of a throw in Lineout for their last try as did Harry Byrne when he came on, kicked an impressive conversion out wide in terrible conditions. Conditions not conducive to an open game that usually takes place between these two but Trinity would still be behind Lansdowne they seem to have narrowed the gap this season.

Good win for Lansdowne against a very decent Trinity team. Hopefully we get better conditions for the rematch in a few weeks time.

Division 1B really is incredibly tight at the moment. 10 points seperates top to bottom whilst just 4 points seperates the top 8.

Stainalert wrote: »
    Division 1B really is incredibly tight at the moment. 10 points seperates top to bottom whilst just 4 points seperates the top 8.
    Great sign. Hopefully it isnt Marys who finish season top and one of the Ulster sides can get to 1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Shannon's will Leonard has signed for RUNY in the MLR

Anyone go to the clubscene live show last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Couldnt make it and the live feed on instagram wasnt great, but it looked like a good show. Havent heard from a colleague of mine that was at it yet, so it must have been a good night after

Plenty of provincial club games this weekend
    Connacht senior cup final between Buccs and Corinthians is in Athlone tomorrow
    Wesley play Greystones in Leinster League Division2A final in Donnybrook tonight
    Munster senior cup final between Garryowen and Con is in Thomond tomorrow
    Ulster senior cup semi final Armagh and Rainey tomorrow

Buccs won 16-14
    Con won 26-23
    Wesley won 41-5
    Armagh won 31-15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Psteve232

Ballymena beat hinch 22-20 in the other semi final

Advertisement