Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sydthebeat wrote: »
    anybody on the fence about seeing them... id highly recommend them.

always a great entertaining and fun occasion.

Couldn't agree more. They're incredible live.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,284 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    anybody on the fence about seeing them... id highly recommend them.

always a great entertaining and fun occasion.

I'm all over it. First band I ever saw live, last time was in same venue pre-renovation.

This is immediate gig of the Year potential

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

seen The Darkness twice and it was a great show. They supported Queen last year in Marley Park and were great even though they had a pretty short set.

First time was at Daytripper in Waterford in 2015 and they rocked the place even with Justin Hawkins not interacting much with the crowd

They could of done with adding them too the Slane line up tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Plaid

https://www.facebook.com/events/406033489978799/permalink/406034496645365/
    u:mack in association with Whelans
    Present
    Plaid (A/V live)
    Thursday June 13
    Whelans Of Wexford Street
    Tickets €20 from https://bit.ly/2UGcJNA
    Doors 8pm

Plaid return with a new album on Warp records, Polymer, they bring their new AV live show to Whelans on Thursday June 13!

Forging ever bolder and emotive paths through electronic music, Plaid are set to release their 10th studio album ‘Forging ever bolder and emotive paths through electronic music, Plaid are set to release their 10th studio album ‘Polymer’ on June 7th via Warp Records. The album’s 13 tracks cover energetic bangers, bright melodic visceral rhythms and hypnotic wombic textures to create perhaps their most cohesive, direct album to date.

The innovative duo Ed Handley and Andy Turner have been expanding the realm of electronic music as Plaid since they diverged from trio The Black Dog in the early 90s. In 2019, Plaid stand alongside the likes of Aphex Twin, Autechre and Nightmares on Wax as mainstays of the Warp label as it reaches its 30th anniversary, celebrating achievements in music like few others. Their adventurous and playful approach has taken them to working with Björk and drawing comparisons to fellow collaborators Mark Bell, Arca, Haxan Cloak and more recent Releases by Skee Mask and Daniel Avery. They’ve worked with the London Sinfonietta, the Southbank Gamelan Players, composed for Felix’s Machines robotic sculptures, and soundtracked events as diverse as reindeer migration in northern Europe to a level in popular platformer Little Big Planet 3. In a live capacity their show straddles both a contemporary and club capacity, able to pack venues from Sydney Opera House and Southbank to Bloc and Berghain.

Covering a wide range of emotions, influences and inspirations; ‘Polymer’ is an album for modern times. It’s creation was informed by a manifesto of Polyphony, Pollution and Politics; clashing themes of environment, synthetics, survival/mortality and humanity’s (dis)connection.

Plaid say:
    "The problems and benefits of Polymers felt like good themes for this album, their repetitious strength, endurance and troubling persistence, the natural versus the synthetic, silk and silicone, the significant effect they have on our lives.”

The opening machinic grind of ‘Meds Fade’ conveys the fading effects of medication and the emerging clarity of the grey envelopes of reality. With the ever rising techno tension of ‘Maru’ we feel the final, exhausting push to reach a goal.

In turn, ‘Dancers’ is blissfully euphoric: an ode to free movement for free movement’s sake, inspired by seeing meteor showers, the milky way on a clear dark night and people dancing in an audience. Snippets of voices lend a human element, albeit twisted by machines: ‘Ops’ loops a wordless refrain with synthetic echoes over D&B rhythms.

‘Drowned Sea’ was directly inspired by finding decades old plastic packaging washed up on the coastline and reading about microplastics in the food chain. Like particles of plastic, Plaid distilled sounds through granular synths, reducing the whole but unable to completely destroy it.

Closing track ‘Praze’ - an old word for meadow - relates to the disappearance of most of Britain’s wildflower meadows. The out-of-times, Penguin Cafe Orchestra-esque plucked melodies feel like a final melancholic reminder that, despite the complexities of life in 2019, hope still remains.

Tracklist:
    01. Meds Fade
    02. Los
    03. Maru
    04. Ops
    05. Drowned Sea
    06. The Pale Moth
    07. Dancers
    08. Nurula
    09. Recall
    10. All To Get Her
    11. Dust
    12. Crown Shy
    13. Praze

https://plaidmusic.co.uk
    https://warp.net/artists/91413-plaid

Plaid will be bringing their new live AV show to the following venues:

30/05/2019 Plaid Milan Santeria
    08/06/2019 Plaid Birmingham Mama Roux Tickets
    13/06/2019 Plaid Dublin Whelans
    14/06/2019 Plaid Berlin Gretchen Tickets
    20/06/2019 Plaid London EartH Tickets
    21/06/2019 Plaid Norwich Norwich Art Centre Tickets
    22/06/2019 Plaid Manchester The Deaf Institute Tickets
    27/06/2019 Plaid Moscow 16 Tons
    28/06/2019 Plaid St Petersburg MORZE
    29/06/2019 Plaid Rome Social Park
    10/08/2019 Plaid Viana do Castelo Teatro Sá de Miranda
    21/09/2019 Plaid Brussels C12
    28/09/2019 Plaid Barcelona Nitsa Tickets

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »
    seen The Darkness twice and it was a great show. They supported Queen last year in Marley Park and were great even though they had a pretty short set.

First time was at Daytripper in Waterford in 2015 and they rocked the place even with Justin Hawkins not interacting much with the crowd

They could of done with adding them too the Slane line up tbh

Seen them on their reunion tour back in 2011??? and then caught them when they played here in Newbridge and both times they were brilliant. Permission To Land is just a fantastic rock record imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Mushy wrote: »
    I'm all over it. First band I ever saw live, last time was in same venue pre-renovation.

This is immediate gig of the Year potential

That was a good gig last time but a bit short ,barely 70 minutes .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,284 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zardoz wrote: »
    That was a good gig last time but a bit short ,barely 70 minutes .

70 minutes of class though. Genuinely don't remember it being that short

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Anyone have any info on Slane its just under a month and a half away and no news of any acts being added to the bill id nearly take anyone at this stage

Duffy98 wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on Slane its just under a month and a half away and no news of any acts being added to the bill id nearly take anyone at this stage

Yeah its frustrating esp for the cost of the tickets

I knw it was announced with Metallicas Euro tour MCD should of had other bigish acts booked and announced them before tickets went on sale

Reckon gates at 2pm we will get a local band at 4pm and then those Norwegian guys, ghost and then Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

Plaid

Thanks for posting. The Polymer stuff sound great - it should be an interesting evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kg703

I knw it was announced with Metallicas Euro tour MCD should of had other bigish acts booked and announced them before tickets went on sale

Reckon gates at 2pm we will get a local band at 4pm and then those Norwegian guys, ghost and then Metallica

They did say there would be two more acts added and one would be Irish so I’d expect two smaller acts to be announced at some point

Yeah its very poorly organised its supposed to have sold terribly but who knows. MCD are starting to post stuff about it so hopefully they announce some act that will fill a slot. With my ticket I can walk in at 1 so they should have some act to start the day off its going to be a long wait to see metallica nearly 6 hours id say if your going off general admission at 2 they might not come on till 8:30-9pm its a bit of a joke considering its well over €100 for a decent view and not even a word of whos playing cause i cant see 2 acts entertaining us for nearly 6 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Seen them on their reunion tour back in 2011??? and then caught them when they played here in Newbridge and both times they were brilliant. Permission To Land is just a fantastic rock record imo.

That newbridge gig was class :)

Duff McKagen is announcing some European dates to promote his new album hopefully he plays a show here would love to see him. More than likely he would be playing the Olympia Theatre if he were to play here.

Follow up* Duff Mckagan is playing at the electric picnic festival for his Irish date on his european tour , very disappointed he could have definitely done a show here in the Olympia instead of a 40 min slot at a festival, he would have sold well as well considering the massive fanbase gnr has over here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

More than likely he would be playing the Olympia Theatre if he were to play here.

I woulda thought Whelans but surprisingly it's confirmed it's Electric Picnic.

I woulda thought Whelans but surprisingly it's confirmed it's Electric Picnic.

Yea i would have said Whelans or maybe the Button Factory. He would'nt have been big enough for the olympia imo. The last time he played here with one of his bands they did the Academy but im not sure if that even sold out.

Yea i would have said Whelans or maybe the Button Factory. He would'nt have been big enough for the olympia imo. The last time he played here with one of his bands they did the Academy but im not sure if that even sold out.
    It's a weird one that cause like anyone who would actually want to see him can't cause its been sold out with months and its on the saturday and they dont do day tickets only for Sunday. Not the end of the world but its a bit of a weird date for him considering he could of just done a show with fans instead of festival goers

It's a weird one that cause like anyone who would actually want to see him can't cause its been sold out with months and its on the saturday and they dont do day tickets only for Sunday. Not the end of the world but its a bit of a weird date for him considering he could of just done a show with fans instead of festival goers

Unless he does a headline tour after the festival run? Maybe they are hoping by having him play EP and if they announce a headline tour they may have picked up a few extra fans etc?

Unless he does a headline tour after the festival run? Maybe they are hoping by having him play EP and if they announce a headline tour they may have picked up a few extra fans etc?
    Yeah maybe who knows haha Slash is playing up in Belfast as well in June dont know why he didnt come down south of the border for a date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

Not really that weird, he'll get a bigger cheque to play EP than he would playing Whelans or the Button Factory. No promotional costs or venue hire for the promoters either like there would be with a smaller headline show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah, this is rubbish.

I'd love to see Duff play, but I'd hate to go to that nonsense, even if there were still tickets available.

Yeah was hoping for a date similar to what Chris Shiflett of the foo's did that was one of the best gigs of the year for me got to meet him take photos etc. It would have been class to see Duff in a small intimate venue on his own with actual fans , I doubt he would have even have been aware that ep's been sold out with months tbh with ya , there will be plenty more gigs announced anyway in the mean time

Ozzy Osbourne Rescheduled date is February 2nd 2020 was posted on his facebook page this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Edwyn Collins playing Liberty hall and Belfast £24/€30 on sept 14th and 15th. Delighted!

Duff at Electric Picnic jesus so odd

I imagine not many of the 'lads' there would knw who he is and when they find out will keep shooting GNR requests

Duff at Electric Picnic jesus so odd

I imagine not many of the 'lads' there would knw who he is and when they find out will keep shooting GNR requests
    Poor management that in fairness like even billy corgan filled the olympia theatre so i cant see why he couldn't play there , people like myself going to that would likely be interested in that gig wasted opportunity unfortunately and yeah i can imagine hes going to get a lot of gnr requests haha

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

His band Walking Papers played the Pint(now the Wiley Fox/Sound House) in 2013 and Whelans Upstairs in 2018.
    Both small venues, he wouldn't have a hope of filling the Olympia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Huge 4 days for Rovers and the top of the league. They could be 13 points clear Friday night or just 4 with Dundalk having a game in hand

Hopefully Bohs can take some points off them tonight.

• Advertisement

Huge 4 days for Rovers and the top of the league. They could be 13 points clear Friday night or just 4 with Dundalk having a game in hand

Hopefully Bohs can take some points off them tonight.

Wrong thread there mate ha

Advertisement