Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Stillill42

sweetie wrote: »
    Best memories of the Ambo were the Pulp gig sponsored by guinness, you were given a wristband with 5 pints on the way in, I stuck out my other arm closer to the door and got another. 10 pints of the black stuff in about 3 hrs makes any gig go well!

Saw Wilco there too and a few hours later they were loading up outside and we met them, nearly persuaded them to bring us to next gig in Scotland too.
    Jaysus. They don't make wristbands like they used to. A couple of those lads and I'd chance a Picture This gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Jesus lads, Frightened Rabbit is still a sore spot...met Scott briefly and he was such a gent.

I’ll be opening the whiskey and belting out The Woodpile tonight
    :-(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

MCD
    24 mins ·
    Severe Irish Sea Weather forces Bastille to cancel tonight's sold out Dublin Olympia Theatre concert

Unfortunately, due to adverse weather conditions which have affected Irish Sea sailings over the last 24hrs, Bastille have been forced to cancel their sold out Irish date tonight (Sunday 27th January 2019) at Dublin's Olympia Theatre.

Ticket holders are advised to hold onto their tickets while the band, venue and promoters work to reschedule the date as soon as possible with a further announcement later this week.

Speaking this morning the band stated:

"We’re gutted that our gig in Dublin tonight has had to be postponed. We’ve been trying everything possible in the last 24 hours to get the tour trucks and buses to Ireland, but the bad weather has meant all ferries have been cancelled and none of our gear will be able to make it in time. Huge apologies to everyone with tickets and anyone who’s travelled."

Full Statement ➡️ http://bit.ly/2B71Poh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Not Irish,

The Who, Eddie Vedder, Kaiser Chiefs

Wembley Stadium, London, July 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Dj Premier presents Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy & De La Soul | 3Arena | May 14th.

Tickets from €75

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

50730866_2411118768962747_6017496588992118784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=51926e09dca1b1ead68c6a1716ae24ba&oe=5CBE65A1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

50730866_2411118768962747_6017496588992118784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=51926e09dca1b1ead68c6a1716ae24ba&oe=5CBE65A1
    Christ I am getting old I have literally heard of 5 of them :D

gmisk wrote: »

Well i'd recommend Joey Purp, Chance and Vince. Brockhampton are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭corm500

3 for me. I think its time for me pipe and slippers :D

The whole age thing is a cop out.

Spotify or Youtube and hit random on any RnB playlist.

If you don't actively listen to different acts..... then you won't hear different acts.

• Advertisement

If you don't actively listen to different acts..... then you won't hear different acts.
    I listen to plenty of random acts via spotify (well deezer in my case), maybe its a genre thing. I am not generally mad into rap or RNB.
    I dont think age thing is a cop out at all, genuinely how many people my age (37) and up would know songs by a lot of these acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They were joking ?? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I listen to plenty of random acts via spotify (well deezer in my case), maybe its a genre thing. I am not generally mad into rap or RNB.
    I dont think age thing is a cop out at all, genuinely how many people my age (37) and up would know songs by a lot of these acts?

I see this line thrown about alot in this forum so i just thought i'd discuss.

We're almost in the same age bracket, i'm ever so slightly your junior.

But there is nothing stopping anyone of a reasonable age 4+ with working fingers listening to any music.

I guess the point is using age as an excuse of not being able to access music just isn't plausible any more. Now I can understand when it's used as a throw away joke but in your case you're confirming that you geniunely don't know these music acts and you're attributing this to age.

i'd reckon the scenario that is more likey is that you're not 'generally mad' into RnB or Rap.

I used to be the same, then realised that fests were inching away from my tastes. Now having listened to different things I can appreciate it.

If I had Deezer i'd offer a small easily accessible playlist to you to get you going. But I just have spotify; although the offer is there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Its a well known fact (or theory that I'm just making up as I go along) that people's taste in music stops at age 28.

For me it was Oxegen 2008: Killers, Kings of Leon, Muse, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, Interpol, Biffy Clyro, Daft Punk, The National, Queens of the Stone Age.

Still makes up 75% of the music I listen to regularly

I see this line thrown about alot in this forum so i just thought i'd discuss.

We're almost in the same age bracket, i'm ever so slightly your junior.

But there is nothing stopping anyone of a reasonable age 4+ with working fingers listening to any music.

I guess the point is using age as an excuse of not being able to access music just isn't plausible any more. Now I can understand when it's used as a throw away joke but in your case you're confirming that you geniunely don't know these music acts and you're attributing this to age.

i'd reckon the scenario that is more likey is that you're not 'generally mad' into RnB or Rap.

I used to be the same, then realisied that fests were inching away from my tastes. Now having listened to different things I can appreciate it.

If I had Deezer i'd offer a small easily accessible playlist to you to get you going. But I just have spotify; although the offer is there. :)
    I am not using age as an excuse at all, it's just as I said I think most people my age and up wouldn't know most of these artists imo, would you disagree?
    The genre thing is defo part of if alright.

This is what you said.

'I am not using age as an excuse at all, it's just as I said I think most people my age and up wouldn't know most of these artists imo, would you disagree? '

I honestly don't know what the trends are for people's music tastes these days. So I can't comment on that.

All I know is that yes the audience for Longitude is quite young.

But then you have similar music at Forbidden Fruit and the age group is older.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Its a well known fact (or theory that I'm just making up as I go along) that people's taste in music stops at age 28.

For me it was Oxegen 2008: Killers, Kings of Leon, Muse, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, Interpol, Biffy Clyro, Daft Punk, The National, Queens of the Stone Age.

You might be kinda right...I was at death cab for cutie last week...and I was at Nada Surf last year as well lol.

I was at the aces (they had a really young a female fanbase, the gig was fantastic) though a while back and they are fairly new and I am going to see Chvrches.

It could also be that bands in those kinds of genres arent getting the exposure and coverage they once were?

It is a nice time loop that you're caught in though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

QOTSA aside (who I like but were crap that day) the rest is sad old bastard music.

Longitude will be full of 15/16/17 year olds. Thats the music they listen to. Its a really good thing, having a festival that caters for a demographic that young.

Oxegen was just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The Nal wrote: »
    QOTSA aside (who I like but were crap that day) the rest is sad old bastard music.

Longitude will be full of 15/16/17 year olds. Thats the music they listen to. Its a really good thing, having a festival that caters for a demographic that young.

Oxegen was just awful.

Oxegen was awful? What a ridiculous comment to make. Any year in particular or just the entire festival from start(witnness) to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

Oxegen was just awful.

Does their be anything you don't grin about lad?

Oxegen was awful? What a ridiculous comment to make. Any year in particular or just the entire festival from start(witnness) to finish?

Oooh I dunno. Its a toss up really between the shoddy set up, the heavy handed understaffed security, the fights, people setting tents on fire, the stabbings and the rapes.

Witnness was alright. Oxegen quickly descended into something from southern Poland in the early 1940s. Headliner ends and immediately all the lights go up, security screaming "BACK TO THE CAMP SITES" in your face and the lad on the tannoy barking instructions about going back to your tent via the blue route and so on ad nauseum. At 11pm. :confused:

In 2006 I closely experienced an incident which would now be considered sexual assault and saw security do nothing about it. This was far from an isolated case but then MCD closed down their own message boards and sued this very website and the Indo so people couldn't express what a shítshow it had become. But you're ok with that. Thats called a cover up. As a result, the same thing happened in 2007. And 2008. And 2011. MCD did nothing about it.

Its MCD not bothering to employ enough staff. Same as Slane.

Oooh I dunno. Its a toss up really between the shoddy set up, the heavy handed understaffed security, the fights, people setting tents on fire, the stabbings and the rapes.

Witnness was alright. Oxegen quickly descended into something from southern Poland in the early 1940s. Headliner ends and immediately all the lights go up, security screaming "BACK TO THE CAMP SITES" in your face and the lad on the tannoy barking instructions about going back to your tent via the blue route and so on ad nauseum. At 11pm. :confused:

In 2006 I closely experienced an incident which would now be considered sexual assault and saw security do nothing about it. This was far from an isolated case but then MCD closed down their own message boards and sued this very website and the Indo so people couldn't express what a shítshow it had become. But you're ok with that. Thats called a cover up. As a result, the same thing happened in 2007. And 2008. And 2011. MCD did nothing about it.

Id say you are great fun at the Foster&Allen gigs ....

greenspurs wrote: »
    Id say you are great fun at the Foster&Allen gigs ....

I just don't like going to events where people get stabbed and raped. Its not my buzz.

I just don't like going to events where people get stabbed and raped. Its not my buzz.

or Slane .......

I am not using age as an excuse at all, it's just as I said I think most people my age and up wouldn't know most of these artists imo, would you disagree?
    The genre thing is defo part of if alright.

You couldn't imagine the stuff I'm listening to with a 12 yr old music mad daughter !!
    Most of it is pure rubbish, some is good pop, and some is quite good.
    Ive been to Slayer ,Megadeth, etc, and last year I was at Taylor Swift, and after her music being on in the car- I actually enjoyed it.

Also, Panic at the Disco would have been a band I would say "C0ck Rock" about, but once again, herself and her 9yr old brother are mad into them... and we are going to see them in Paris, and I'm looking forward to it more than them !
    Great music is out there, sometimes you find it, other times you are made find it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

In 2006 I closely experienced an incident which would now be considered sexual assault and saw security do nothing about it. This was far from an isolated case but then MCD closed down their own message boards and sued this very website and the Indo so people couldn't express what a shhow it had become. But you're ok with that. Thats called a cover up. As a result, the same thing happened in 2007. And 2008. And 2011. MCD did nothing about it.

Well this is a discussion about the bands playing the festival. Was that awful every year? My first witnness was in 2000 and my last Oxegen was 2009, I didn't miss one in between.

Well this is a discussion about the bands playing the festival. Was that awful every year? My first witnness was in 2000 and my last Oxegen was 2009, I didn't miss one in between.

Yeah same as myself although I only camped once. They always had good lineups. Doesn't make it a good festival though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Stillill42

You rarely change genre as you head for middle age but you can still find new stuff. The festivals keep me somewhat in the loop as I approach my 49th birthday. Proper research of line-ups for EP, Alltogethernow etc. always give me new gems to listen to, as do the pearls of wisdom from the many contributors of taste on these very boards. I'm delighted to still be going to gigs by new, exciting bands and I dread the day when that buzz disappears.

Advertisement