Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver attacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No wonder public transportation is so sh1t when we have the likes of stephen15 who just doesn't see anything or want to know.

Db and all transportation companies need to up their game including the nta and guards.

It should be normal to see security checks along all routes so it will get people thinking oh there really could be a chance of being caught...

Screen by the way doesn't in all cases protect from attack either.

Shocking that anyone even has it in them to just flip like that and I was really wishing he would have got a nice few thump's.

I've been in situations similar and have been attacked before on a few occasions.
    Screen or no screen this shouldn't be accepted and our complete laws and legal system needs updating and a overhaul to bring us into the 21st century.

Hope the driver is doing ok and I commend the people that stepped in to help as this is something very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I would say introduce harsh sentences for attacking transport workers; emergency personnel like they have in the likes of the States but considering the leniency of sentences handed out by our courts there's little chance of that happening..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Cannabis is harmless to non cannabis smokers unlike tobacco debate for a different day.

The culprit likely knows that Gardai are slow to respond so will wait it out for a while before eventually pulling a runner before the Gardai arrive.

So everybody sitting around should just not inhale.

Most culprits are going somewhere like home, so if the driver on your regular route has to pull in and stop on a daily basis how soon would it take you and the other passengers to spot the regular smoker and make it clear that you are not sitting at his leisure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Please explain. Starting with bus users who do not want to go in to a work meeting smelling of weed.

The same could be said about someone eating an egg sandwich which is also not allowed.

People smoke weed on DB buses regularly and no one says anything. Does it make it right no, do it harm anyone no either.

KD345 wrote: »
    Firstly, smoking illegal drugs on a bus is a crime. That is not up for debate here. Regardless of what level of crime you consider it to be is entirely irrelevant. An employee was assaulted while driving a bus, that’s what we’re dealing with. I have no idea what you mean by social justice, but whatever view you take or how you choose to categorise it, a man was viciously assaulted while doing their job. The build up to that assault, however big or small you view it, does not take away from what happened.

I hope the excellent level of CCTV coupled with passenger witnesses form a solid case against this scumbag. If I was CEO of Dublin Bus I would be stepping forward to say this is not acceptable to their employees and they will ban this person, and any person who commits a similar assault, from using their service.

Contact Ray Coyne he is CEO....

Also all passengers should contact Dublin bus customer experience manager John Phelan.

• Advertisement

The same could be said about someone eating an egg sandwich which is also not allowed.

Dude, are you seriously implying that someone would end up smelling like an egg sandwich if someone else was eating one on a bus? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

People smoke weed on DB buses regularly and no one says anything. Does it make it right no, do it harm anyone no either.

That first part is just not true. Whereas an Egg sandwich may have some odour, it's not going to stick around in your clothes and hair for several hours.

secondly, people don't say anything because they fear they'll be assaulted. Case in point the driver.

Your posts are idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Cannabis is harmless to non cannabis smokers unlike tobacco debate for a different day.

The culprit likely knows that Gardai are slow to respond so will wait it out for a while before eventually pulling a runner before the Gardai arrive.

I don't give a **** if it's harmless or not, I don't want to inhale cannabis when sitting on a bus. Or anywhere for that matter.

How can you justify this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Lots of people are tested for drugs in work now. I smoke myself but I'll always tell people smoking on the bus or dart to put it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Weepsie wrote: »
    That first part is just not true. Whereas an Egg sandwich may have some odour, it's not going to stick around in your clothes and hair for several hours.

secondly, people don't say anything because they fear they'll be assaulted. Case in point the driver.

Your posts are idiotic.

When you read posts like that, the real surprise is that our country runs so well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Ive been on Dublin Bus routes where crack and heroin have been smoked at the back of the bus, on one of these occasions a couple of passengers got together and ejected (to put it mildly) the guy who was smoking.

Id never go to the bus driver looking for him to intervene, why should he intervene anyway.

If i was the driver id stay in the cab and call the guards, if the passengers are upset at having to wait f**k them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If smoking "weed" had no effect the person smoking it would not smoke it.
    If your opinion is that its not harmful your entitled to your opinion. Just don't try to justify the action by expecting other public transport users to form the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

WTF have I just read?

Buses have a security door that the driver sits behind.. can only be opened from the inside. There's no use trying to reason with scumbags because they only understand fists. Can't rely on the guards either as they're flat out. Can't rely on passengers.

Is it ok Stephen15 for heroin users to inject and leave their gear behind including needle.

It's something I've come across too many times and these same people continue to do so untouched.

I don't want my kids or myself getting pricked or any disease etc.

Bus drivers have to put up with a shocking amount of crap and abuse.

Getting the bus train or tram should be comfortable for all and not an experience where one is afraid or in danger of assault or any other bad things that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Someone mentioned why don't DB have security like the Luas.
    Sure logistics mean you'd need a lot more to cover the routes, or could you have a team of 2 'heavies' or so on motorbikes stationed south and northside who could be at an incident within minutes if forewarned?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

If it's rolled in tobacco and ignited.
    It's the same as someone smoking a normal cigarette and therefore the same as secondhand tobacco smoke with a stronger odour (it's harmful).

It's all well and good to have an opinion but facts are what counts here are the facts.

- Gardai take ages to respond to petty crimes

- Smoking weed is a petty crime

- Driver was assaulted but wouldn't have been if he didn't do anything

- Passengers would have got there on time if they didn't say anything

Did I say the person was in the right to assault the bus driver? No

Do I support his actions? No

Do I think he should be prosecuted? Yes absolutely he is a scumbag and I've said that many time but that doesn't mean he won't get away with it.

Now here is my opinion

The Gardai are under resourced if they had enough resources they should have responded within 5-10 mins and removed the passenger and the operation would be a lot more efficient. If court sentences were tougher he should have been severly punished. I don't think people should smoke weed on buses but I do think it should be legal to smoke it in outdoor public places but not sell it but that's a debate for a different day .

What he did to that bus driver was disgraceful don't get me wrong but I do think people should put their own safety first before taking the law into their own hands or getting involved in a risky situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's all well and good to have an opinion but facts are what counts here are the facts.

- Gardai take ages to respond to petty crimes

- Smoking weed is a petty crime

- Driver was assaulted but wouldn't have been if he didn't do anything

- Passengers would have got there on time if they didn't say anything

Did I say the person was in the right to assault the bus driver? No

Do I support his actions? No

Do I think he should be prosecuted? Yes absolutely he is a scumbag and I've said that many time but that doesn't mean he won't get away with it.

Now here is my opinion

The Gardai are under resourced if they had enough resources they should have responded within 5-10 mins and removed the passenger and the operation would be a lot more efficient. If court sentences were tougher he should have been severly punished. I don't think people should smoke weed on buses but I do think it should be legal to smoke it in outdoor public places but not sell it but that's a debate for a different day .

What he did to that bus driver was disgraceful don't get me wrong but I do think people should put their own safety first before taking the law into their own hands or getting involved in a risky situation.

Unfortunately there are people like you in the world. If everyone had said something and everyone had responded when the scumbag jumped the driver then scumbags would think twice about being scumbags.

Is it ok Stephen15 for heroin users to inject and leave their gear behind including needle.

No
    It's something I've come across too many times and these same people continue to do so untouched.

They should be prosecuted
    I don't want my kids or myself getting pricked or any disease etc.

Nor do I
    Bus drivers have to put up with a shocking amount of crap and abuse.

And they should be given better Garda and company backup
    Getting the bus train or tram should be comfortable for all and not an experience where one is afraid or in danger of assault or any other bad things that could happen.

Yes it should and it's to back that up it's not just on trains/buses/trams/planes. Walking down the street for example can be an unpleasant experience for some but it that should not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Another example of why a dedicated transport police is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Im a regular user of the 79 bus route and stopped using the notorious 78a ( now the 40) years ago because of incidents like this crap. I don’t pay my hard earned cash to put up with this sh#t on our national transport system. Totally agree one of the previous posters, it’s time for a dedicated Dublin Transport Police!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

You are now suggesting the driver ‘took the law into his own hands’. If the story on this thread is accurate, the driver allegedly stopped his bus because illegal drugs were being smoked. Because of this he was viciously assaulted.

Stephen, think for second if this was your father going to work last Friday, then getting that call to say he’d been assaulted, punched in the head numerous times, dragged from his bus and further assaulted. Then take a read back over your posts today and think about how you’d feel.

You’ve gone from calling the driver an idiot, blaming him driver for causing delays, defending cannabis use that the driver was on a social crusade, to now saying he took the law into his own hands.

Pathetic.

KD345 wrote: »
    You are now suggesting the driver ‘took the law into his own hands’. If the story on this thread is accurate, the driver allegedly stopped his bus because illegal drugs were being smoked. Because of this he was viciously assaulted.

Stephen, think for second if this was your father going to work last Friday, then getting that call to say he’d been assaulted, punched in the head numerous times, dragged from his bus and further assaulted. Then take a read back over your posts today and think about how you’d feel.

You’ve gone from calling the driver an idiot, blaming him driver for causing delays, defending cannabis use that the driver was on a social crusade, to now saying he took the law into his own hands.

Pathetic.

Passengers caused delays by telling the driver about the guy smoking. Driver was stupid to get out of his cab maybe not an idiot but he shouldn't have put his own safety at risk.

I don't think people should smoke weed on buses but at the same time you have accept that Garda responses are slow to smaller crime and waiting for them to arrive probably would have taken more than 30 mins causing delays. I know it's not ideal but sometimes you have to accept that people will break the law and nothing will be done by the Guards or by the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Stephen15 wrote:
    I don't think people should smoke weed on buses but at the same time you have accept that Garda responses are slow to smaller crime and waiting for them to arrive probably would have taken more than 30 mins causing delays. I know it's not ideal but sometimes you have to accept that people will break the law and nothing will be done by the Guards or by the justice system.

What's your fascination with Garda
    response times? Or bus journey times?

Most people would tolerate a delay (which I don't think would be anything like the hour you suggested) to deal with obvious criminal behavior.

What's your fascination with Garda
    response times? Or bus journey times?

Most people would tolerate a delay (which I don't think would be anything like the hour you suggested) to deal with obvious criminal behavior.

To deal with an attack their response would obviously be quicker but if the driver remained in his cab and called for Garda assistance it would be slow for something petty like smoking a joint on a bus. I would say it would be an hour. I called the guards once as my cars windows were smashed and waited for over an hour before eventually telling them not to bother and driving away.

Being discussed on the FM104 phoneshow right now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To deal with an attack their response would obviously be quicker but if the driver remained in his cab and called for Garda assistance it would be slow for something petty like smoking a joint on a bus. I would say it would be an hour. I called the guards once as my cars windows were smashed and waited for over an hour before eventually telling them not to bother and driving away.

I'd dare say they'd be quicker. I've been on a bus where they've been called a few times for lesser offences. They've been there within a few minutes.

Your cars being smashed is although bad, not as bad as the health and safety of 60+ people sharing the space with this moron. It's not as petty as you say.

The smoking a joint is one crime, the smoking on public transport is another. The aggression is another. It quickly stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Tabnabs wrote:
    A P.E. teacher from a top Dublin private school apparently, and not unknown in the world of MMA if the rumour is true.

You could tell by the way he took the back he knew what he was at

I've waited for 1hr 55mins when 2 guys tried to take me on and blocked the road with their car.

They were so thick they couldn't work out how to open the outer doors.

This was all over the driver clipping the bus with his mirror as he went by. He turned around and blocked me in down a side road where the terminus was.

They were threatening and abusive and I was left alone for near 2 hours.

Other occasions they happened to be just passing by or I could be waiting 30 to 40 minutes at least.

Quickest response was 8 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I know it's not ideal but sometimes you have to accept that people will break the law and nothing will be done by the Guards or by the justice system.

No, I absolutely do not accept that. We have laws for reasons - you do not get to choose which laws need to be upheld. Smoking an illegal drug on a bus is illegal, smashing in the head of a bus driver is a crime.

And as it happens, I have been on buses and trams where Gardai have arrived in minutes.

You are making excuses for a scumbag attacking a man doing his job, driving a bus through Greystones and having he head viciously punched. I honestly hope you never experience being attacked at work.

Advertisement