Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peat bedding for cattle

Options
  • 11-05-2018 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

It’s looking like straw will be scarce and expensive this coming year, do anyone use peat bedding for cattle?? What ar the advantages/disadvantages of it? And what does it cost, and can it be spread on the land like FYM.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Was thinking the same and it's something that might be easier sorted during the summer. Not to hijack your post but how does it compare with saw dust or wood chip for bedding and calving on cost etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Miscanthus is another option, has great soakage by all accounts. Good bit of it around me, although it's all been harvested at this stage, the majority of it baled and sent to England to burn in a power station.

Managed to source some cut with a precision chop so will be trying a bit next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the Boardsie, with the best knowledge on peat bedding is, Reggie.
    I think you change it every 6 weeks. you might have to go back 1/2 months, on this thread, pics and all.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057765784&page=591

Located
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057765784&page=400

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    I think the Boardsie, with the best knowledge on peat bedding is, Reggie.
    I think you change it every 6 weeks. you might have to go back 1/2 months, on this thread, pics and all.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057765784&page=591

Located
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057765784&page=400

Yeah I used it this year and won't be going back to straw for bedding. Put approx 3 m3 in a 15ft x 20ft bay to house 6 weanlings, at approx 250kg. Get 8 to 10 weeks before cleaning out. Goes out like FYM in the spreader. Used roughly 8m3 this year at a cost of €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I used woodchip this year. Cost about €12 per calf for 4 months.will be using it again. Havent tried it in calving pens tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I used woodchip this year. Cost about €12 per calf for 4 months.will be using it again. Havent tried it in calving pens tho

Is it hard keep clean?
    Can it be spread or what do you do with it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

Is it hard keep clean?
    Can it be spread or what do you do with it afterwards

It needs to be stock piled for two years to help it break down. Out in a side slinger no hassle. Definitely don’t let it near your tanks. I learnt the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Reggie. wrote:
    Yeah I used it this year and won't be going back to straw for bedding. Put approx 3 m3 in a 15ft x 20ft bay to house 6 weanlings, at approx 250kg. Get 8 to 10 weeks before cleaning out. Goes out like FYM in the spreader. Used roughly 8m3 this year at a cost of €70.

That's seems very cheap in comparison to what's for sale on done deal, seen €300 for large redrock trailer, would it be 4m3 approx?

Hagimalone wrote: »
    That's seems very cheap in comparison to what's for sale on done deal, seen €300 for large redrock trailer, would it be 4m3 approx?

Large redrock trailer holds roughly 26m3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭amacca

Would the peat acidify the land its spread on? + maybe eat away at the dung spreader?

• Advertisement

Don't no what I was thinking about.

amacca wrote: »
    Would the peat acidify the land its spread on? + maybe eat away at the dung spreader?

Can't be any worse on the spreader than FYM

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Was onto a staw merchant in England on Tuesday. Hes exporting straw to Ireland by the boat load next harvest. He has to fill 2 boats himself.
    He made 22,000 bales of 8x4x3 and 8x4x4 last year and reckons he'll nearly have 30,000 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Was onto a staw merchant in England on Tuesday. Hes exporting straw to Ireland by the boat load next harvest. He has to fill 2 boats himself.
    He made 22,000 bales of 8x4x3 and 8x4x4 last year and reckons he'll nearly have 30,000 this year.

How much does that cost

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

How much does that cost

I've no idea, but I'll be finding out in the coming week. I was just amazed at the number the man was quoting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Google says peat moss is pH 4.4
    Cattle dung pH 8.

I guess the only true test would be to test yourself with a hand held meter.

Gardeners should be able to give an opinion on peat, as they have, long used it.
    This is also a mix with the cattle waste. Might be gardeners gold.
    We'll have to fund Reggie, to do a trial.

Gardeners should be able to give an opinion on peat, as they have, long used it.
    This is also a mix with the cattle waste. Might be gardeners gold.
    We'll have to fund Reggie, to do a trial.

Put a hydrangea cutting into a pot of peat and see what colour the bloom comes.
    If it's acidic it'll be blue.
    If it's alkaline it'll be red/pink.

I have no idea of the answer to that test but that's a way to test soil pH.
    (If you have nothing better to do for a few years while you wait on the result).

If the mix was left covered and composted, the worms might get to work, over time.

If the mix was left covered and composted, the worms might get to work, over time.

Google "Korean natural farming" for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

plays havoc with ph apparently

orm0nd wrote: »
    plays havoc with ph apparently

It's the low pH (and no air) in peat that allows it to perfectly preserve "bog butter" and "bog bodies".
    It's the same principal in silage making.

Just thinking as I'm typing about a thread I made about "silage char" about some ones in limerick putting charcoal into silage bales. No wonder there was no mention anymore of that practice. I mean silage needs a low pH and they were putting charcoal that probably had a pH of 9 into the bales. The bales must have turned out as dung when they went to open them.

Has anyone ever used a combination of straw and peat? Reasons being I've straw but I'm not ready to get the peat just yet. So was thinking of starting off with straw & in 3 weeks or so get a load of peat. Also I've no dung stead, so what ever is in the shed stays in the shed.

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used a combination of straw and peat? Reasons being I've straw but I'm not ready to get the peat just yet. So was thinking of starting off with straw & in 3 weeks or so get a load of peat. Also I've no dung stead, so what ever is in the shed stays in the shed.

No go the other way round. Peat first them straw. Cattle will mix the straw through the peat for you and you'll get the extra soakage from the straw. If you go straw first you wont be able to root up the peat after a few weeks.

Can you not just pile the FYM in the field it's going to be spread on

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Reggie. wrote: »
    No go the other way round. Peat first them straw. Cattle will mix the straw through the peat for you and you'll get the extra soakage from the straw. If you go straw first you wont be able to root up the peat after a few weeks.

Can you not just pile the FYM in the field it's going to be spread on

Fym can't be stored on land until after the closed period afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Gudstock

Has anyone with bog tried to make their own peat bedding? I know you wouldnt be able to get the same moisture content and grading as the pros, just wondering if there was any diy way to make some? Have access to digger and tractor with duals.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EvanFahy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Gudstock wrote: »
    Has anyone with bog tried to make their own peat bedding? I know you wouldnt be able to get the same moisture content and grading as the pros, just wondering if there was any diy way to make some? Have access to digger and tractor with duals.

For the messing and hardship would it be worth it ?
    It's dried milled peat that's being used for bedding , isn't it ?
    Maybe if you had a really large concrete yard that you could chop it onto and spread it to dry ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    For the messing and hardship would it be worth it ?
    It's dried milled peat that's being used for bedding , isn't it ?
    Maybe if you had a really large concrete yard that you could chop it onto and spread it to dry ...

Yeah its turned a few times on the bog before its piled up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah its turned a few times on the bog before its piled up

I see our mutual friend drawing it with the big forage wagon

Advertisement