Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something men are better than women at

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

not yet wrote: »
    God created Man...

Game over.

Yep the fecker sure had a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Wibbs wrote: »
    *women have better colour vision than men
    This is true, but as an interesting note it's because the colour recognition gene can be carried on both X chromosomes. 8% of men lack it completely, causing poor colour recognition and 15% of women have it on both chromosomes causing good colour recognition.

However most men (92%) and women (84%) have it on one and hence have similar colour recognition abilities.

See:
    Rodriguez-Carmona M. Sharpe L. T. Harlow J. A. Barbur J. L. (2008). Sex-related differences in chromatic sensitivity. Visual Neuroscience, 25, 433–440

This is generally the case for most sex differences (outside of blatantly obvious ones like strength, having kids, etc). Rather than the genders as a whole being different, each gender carries opposed subpopulations, that are minorities, but still significant ones.

EDIT: Read more recent studies. 84% of women have it on one chromosome, rather than the 85% I originally said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

erudec wrote: »
    How autistic are you if you can hide it, long-term?

If the same number of women and men have autism, but women have such light doses of autism that it's easy to hide, while autistic men are more apt to be like Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory, then you still have to accept that men have autism worse.

Men win the having autism trophy, let them have their victory lap. (Not making light of a serious affliction, just cheerfully slagging an arguably imperfect analysis)

Autistic women tend to be able to communicate better than autistic men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

having no empathy

Women are definitely better at faking empathy. And emotions in general. They can bawl crying on cue. Having daughters has taught me this lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Not a great example but the one that strikes me straight away is deadlifting.

I remember one time in the gym the girl next to me struggled to hit a 90kg pb one rep maximum. She loved the gym and was really dedicated and committed to improving, so was chuffed with herself. I was doing 5 x 100kg sets because I was injured. I think she died a little inside when she realised. On the one hand I feel sorry for her because she'll never be able to compete for strength, but I also think it's kind of funny.

<disclaimer>Of course "better" in things like this is subjective. Her form might have been better than mine. Also, the weight relative to bodyweight is probably more relevant than total weight. In many ways her hitting a 90kg pb was probably more impressive than what I was doing.</disclaimer>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I find most women drive into spaces where most men, correctly, reverse into them

It's only making things difficult for yourself driving into a space perpendicular to the flow of traffic, you're reversing out blind in many cases.

I can't understand why people keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

professore wrote: »
    Autistic women tend to be able to communicate better than autistic men.

You didn't really answer the question. If there are two autistic patients, A & B, and A can communicate better than B, you can't really say they are comparable. A has a much lighter form of the illness than B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fasturbation.

Advertisement