Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something men are better than women at

Options
  • 09-05-2018 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

This is going to be a PC minefield, in which accusations of sexism are inevitable I think, but in my experience what I'm about to suggest is completely true. There is no easy or gentle way to say this, so I'll just say it: Men are much better than women when it comes to making rolls. There, I said it, and I believe it.

Let's take Magda from my local Super Valu. It took a while for Magda to master the art of not splitting a baguette in two. In fact, when she serves me I tend to order the sliced cheddar cheese, because history has taught me that cheese can and does spill out both sides of the roll if I go with the grated selection, which is very frustrating. Magda has had a lot of female colleagues down the years. Some have been grand at making rolls, and others have struggled.

But recently, Magda was given a male colleague and he might just be the best thing that has ever happened to this Super Valu. I don't know his name, because it's hard to read a nametag of someone who blinds you with light - It's like when the Hobbits saw Gandalf the White for the first time - but I do know one thing about him: he makes a fantastic roll. It's like a weapon when he hands it back to you. You're thinking, 'I ordered a roll, not a truncheon', but that's a refection of how tight and compact the roll is.

That's how you know you're about to eat a brilliant roll, when it's wrapped to perfection. You know that all of the ingredients are firmly embedded into a roll, which means when you eat it, nobody is left behind. Every bit of grated cheese, every jalopeno, every crumb on the chicken fillett is in your body, unlike with Magda who, by the time you unwrap the roll, has often served you a plain baguette and the ingredients separately.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm judging all male delicatessen workers by this one Saint, which isn't true. Thinking about it now, I'm always chuffed when a lad makes me a roll. For instance, there's a fella in the Donnybrook Fair in Malahide who consistenly pleases me.

tldr - In my opinion - and it is just my opinion - men are better than women at making rolls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

Directions and parallel parking!

You've obviously never eaten a sandwich made by my partner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hammer89 wrote: »
    For instance, there's a fella in the Donnybrook Fair in Malahide who consistenly pleases me.

Oooh Matron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Packing dishwashers... We're not even playing the same sport on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Hey, make me a sandwich there, love.

Actually, no, don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Sport in General

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

P1ssing while standing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭seanrambo87

I whole heartedly agree with the op. I've said it numerous times myself. What better way to spoil lunch than with a poorly constructed sambo/roll. Take some bloody pride in your work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oddly enough, some places have suggested that delis who employ male staff see less footfall than ones who employ female staff. There's an implicit anti-male bias when it comes to people preparing sandwiches, apparently.

But I don't think you can assess the roll-making skills of all men or women based on two people in some shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Committing suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Y2K86

Everything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Killing spiders. I swear if vibrators could spontaneously kill spiders, the book and series would have been called The Handmen's Tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Committing suicide.

As has been pointed out, poor Magda already cuts things far too deep so she might be good at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Killing spiders.

Why would anyone ever want to kill a spider?

WDowLa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Abusing women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Murdering

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Committing suicide.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Abusing women.

ff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Pissing on the toilet seat - my missus just can't seem to hit the thing at all, not a drop, I'm so good at hitting it that sometimes I don't even look at the toilet and I still manage to piss all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anything physical or that involves hand eye co-ordination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hammer89 wrote: »
    This is going to be a PC minefield, in which accusations of sexism are inevitable I think, but in my experience what I'm about to suggest is completely true. There is no easy or gentle way to say this, so I'll just say it: Men are much better than women when it comes to making rolls. There, I said it, and I believe it.

Let's take Magda from my local Super Valu. It took a while for Magda to master the art of not splitting a baguette in two. In fact, when she serves me I tend to order the sliced cheddar cheese, because history has taught me that cheese can and does spill out both sides of the roll if I go with the grated selection, which is very frustrating. Magda has had a lot of female colleagues down the years. Some have been grand at making rolls, and others have struggled.

But recently, Magda was given a male colleague and he might just be the best thing that has ever happened to this Super Valu. I don't know his name, because it's hard to read a nametag of someone who blinds you with light - It's like when the Hobbits saw Gandalf the White for the first time - but I do know one thing about him: he makes a fantastic roll. It's like a weapon when he hands it back to you. You're thinking, 'I ordered a roll, not a truncheon', but that's a refection of how tight and compact the roll is.

That's how you know you're about to eat a brilliant roll, when it's wrapped to perfection. You know that all of the ingredients are firmly embedded into a roll, which means when you eat it, nobody is left behind. Every bit of grated cheese, every jalopeno, every crumb on the chicken fillett is in your body, unlike with Magda who, by the time you unwrap the roll, has often served you a plain baguette and the ingredients separately.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm judging all male delicatessen workers by this one Saint, which isn't true. Thinking about it now, I'm always chuffed when a lad makes me a roll. For instance, there's a fella in the Donnybrook Fair in Malahide who consistenly pleases me.

tldr - In my opinion - and it is just my opinion - men are better than women at making rolls.

Talking bollix , an excellent example , OP.

• Advertisement

You're completely wrong OP. I've genuinely walked out of places rather than get served by a guy. Women at deli counters vary but every guy I've come across takes longer than me to do anything and you'd swear that every shred of cabbage and drop of mayonnaise was paid for out of their pocket.

seamus wrote: »
    Oddly enough, some places have suggested that delis who employ male staff see less footfall than ones who employ female staff. There's an implicit anti-male bias when it comes to people preparing sandwiches, apparently.

But I don't think you can assess the roll-making skills of all men or women based on two people in some shop.

I base my opinion on over 100 women and over a dozen men who have made me rolls. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Lifting and dragging and pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Stand up comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

... pulling.

Dunno about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Collecting wheelie bins, I assume. I’ve never seen a woman actually do that job.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lifting and dragging and pulling.

Boll0x, women lift drag and pull men along all the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shopping, in and out like a military operation and no faffing about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Taking orders.

Advertisement