Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Drink Link'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

im missing something here, the route 'announced' in our area is just an extension of donegal town to glencolumbcille 53km, last bus currently goes at 17:43 most work is in shops which close around 6pm or much later, not sure how thats a drink link!

you cant get to any local town for 9am even the first train into sligo doesnt arrive until 11 there basically is no public transport for workers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So you choose to live in a rural setting, set social scene around the pub, and expect a public transport system to facilitate this?

Or have Uber (and its massive horrid flaws) use a gig economy of exploitation to facilitate this?

No one's forcing you or anyone else to have a few beers.

What is it with this thread and assumptions.
    I'd don't live in a rural setting, I can easily walk to a load or pubs. What I can't do is get from town or village A to B as it's not covered outside Friday and Saturday night.

That's where I see some kind of local Uber type service filling the gaps.

Your down on Uber, down on someone having a few beers, have you anything to add to push the thread into a sensible solution rather than the suck it up attitude for people who want the option of some kind of transport services. Nobody is asking you to pay for Uber.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What I can't do is get from town or village A to B as it's not covered outside Friday and Saturday night.

Taxi?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Taxi?

Exactly but who fills in the gaps when there isn't one. This bus scheme isn't a stand alone business but the Uber idea does away with a lot of the costs of providing a service.

I'd don't live in a rural setting, I can easily walk to a load or pubs. What I can't do is get from town or village A to B as it's not covered outside Friday and Saturday night.

Your down on Uber, down on someone having a few beers, have you anything to add to push the thread into a sensible solution rather than the suck it up attitude for people who want the option of some kind of transport services. Nobody is asking you to pay for Uber.

Uber is a cancer. Horrid horrid business which takes no responsibility it's own actions or that of its drivers

Here's a sensible solution. Don't drink if you choose live somewhere requiring driving, without having alternative methods of transport.
    Arrange social activities that are not focused on the all important pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The reason you can't get from village A to village B is because nobody lives in either village so public transport isn't viable and if there was enough demand for taxis then someone would already be running one.

When I was young I spent a lot of time in a very rural area of Mayo. If we wanted to go somewhere we had to arrange lifts from others, Uber!, or arrange are own minibus, why can't the locals arrange their own transport?

What you can't seem to understand is that all countries struggle with rural transport and because of the blight of one off houses our rural areas are impossible to provide public transport to. If you want travel between villages or from villages to towns then you need people living in them, otherwise they'll have to drive to the local town/village for the bus stop. But once they are in the car they'll skip the local village and just drive to the next town.

That's cute you spent some time in Mayo on school holidays.

Your 100% correct it isn't a viable business. Neither is the proposed drink link. I think your wrong about nobody living in villages and towns though just not the amount travelling constantly to make the business sustainable.

A Uber type service is as there's no overheads. It's just local people helping themselves in a some way organised manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Uber is a cancer. Horrid horrid business which takes no responsibility it's own actions or that of its drivers

Here's a sensible solution. Don't drink if you choose live somewhere requiring driving, without having alternative methods of transport.
    Arrange social activities that are not focused on the all important pub.

But you run into the reality that in a rural countryside, outside of the pub there is going to realistically be very little else that springs up. Hell pubs only survive because they are already there...

But you run into the reality that in a rural countryside, outside of the pub there is going to realistically be very little else that springs up. Hell pubs only survive because they are already there...

Very few places in Ireland are THAT far from a good sized town. There are plenty of things to do but Irish people just have to go to the pub and drink

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It can be hard to get booking space in our local halls between cards, bingo, historical society, dances, bowls, table tennis, sewing circle, fitness classes...

If there's nothing else but the pub, it comes back to the community and the modern day issue of it's not there someone else should provide it/ it's someone else's fault. Like the transport issue.

• Advertisement

That's cute you spent some time in Mayo on school holidays.

Your 100% correct it isn't a viable business. Neither is the proposed drink link. I think your wrong about nobody living in villages and towns though just not the amount travelling constantly to make the business sustainable.

A Uber type service is as there's no overheads. It's just local people helping themselves in a some way organised manner.

Yes it's also cute that as teenagers we were able to organise transport but many years later grown adults can't.

Public transport could be viable if more people lived in the towns and villages. But since most people live in a one off house then they will need to drive to get to the local village, if they are going to drive then they will skip the local village and drive to the bigger town for the cheaper shopping. So by living apart from each other you are making your own transport problems and no amount of complaining on the internet will fix it.

It's only €125 for a taxi licence so there are other reasons why people aren't offering taxi services. So why do you need Uber? Don't forget that even if they changed the law to allow the rest of Uber into Ireland the insurance is what will kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't forget that even if they changed the law to allow the rest of Uber into Ireland the insurance is what will kill it.

Uber self insures.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Uber self insures.

Does it research its drivers?
    Are the vehicles registered and inspected as public vehicles?

Are the drivers registered with PSV licences?

Do Uber treat drivers fairly?
    Does Uber's business model destroy the availability of taxis at non peak times, by removing ability of drivers to subsidise the rest of the week, by working at peak also?

Why can Irish people (generally) not do anything not pub based?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Does it research its drivers?
    Are the vehicles registered and inspected as public vehicles?

Are the drivers registered with PSV licences?

Do Uber treat drivers fairly?
    Does Uber's business model destroy the availability of taxis at non peak times, by removing ability of drivers to subsidise the rest of the week, by working at peak also?

Why can Irish people (generally) not do anything not pub based?

Uber operates under different regulations in different countries, so the answers to your questions above depending on which country, state, city you are asking about.

In Ireland, yes, all Uber drivers have full PSV licenses (taxis or Limos) and vehicles are inspected per the NCT (same as Taxis). Same in UK.

US they also offer other services in some states, like Uber X, where no the vehicles aren't PSV. However Uber has it's own quality standards and IME they are much higher then average Taxi's here.

Almost every time I've taken an Uber in the US, it has always been a relatively new, big black saloon or SUV. Frankly most have been much better then any Taxi I've ever taken in Ireland and also spotlessly clean.

Honestly I have to laugh at your questions. Taxi's aren't anything special here, almost any old banger, as long as it passes the NCT, can be a taxi here. Also getting a PSV license here doesn't guranatee anything. A person with a criminal record can get a PSV license, other then the cost of it, pretty much anyone can get it. Doesn't guarantee anything at all.

I'd much rather take a UberX in the US, then a Taxi here.

Uber self insures.

In countries which have functioning insurance industries. Are they insuring their current Irish drivers?

bk wrote: »
    Uber operates under different regulations in different countries, so the answers to your questions above depending on which country, state, city you are asking about.

In Ireland, yes, all Uber drivers have full PSV licenses (taxis or Limos) and vehicles are inspected per the NCT (same as Taxis). Same in UK.

US they also offer other services in some states, like Uber X, where no the vehicles aren't PSV. However Uber has it's own quality standards and IME they are much higher then average Taxi's here.

Almost every time I've taken an Uber in the US, it has always been a relatively new, big black saloon or SUV. Frankly most have been much better then any Taxi I've ever taken in Ireland and also spotlessly clean.

Honestly I have to laugh at your questions. Taxi's aren't anything special here, almost any old banger, as long as it passes the NCT, can be a taxi here. Also getting a PSV license here doesn't guranatee anything. A person with a criminal record can get a PSV license, other then the cost of it, pretty much anyone can get it. Doesn't guarantee anything at all.

I'd much rather take a UberX in the US, then a Taxi here.

To be an uber driver in Ireland you'll need a SPSV, vehicle licence and taxi insurance. So a taxi driver
    That's in place because of the disaster stories from other countries.

You need garda vetting to get your SPSV licence. Uber has fought every safety step, while they push drivers to dangerous levels.

If a rural area can support a professional driver it'll have one.

Having Uber practices here would be a disaster and push the "gig" economy further, an exploitation of general workers which should be banned.

In countries which have functioning insurance industries. Are they insuring their current Irish drivers?

Don't think so.

Uber exists in name only here. There is nothing uber about the service, it's a regular taxi with regular taxi fares and regular taxi insurance.

If a rural area can support a professional driver it'll have one.

Taxi costs are very high, from insurance to fares. Taxi drivers also expect to be able to make their full living from driving a taxi. All those are barriers to entry which means even moderate sized rural towns can't support a taxi.

Taxi costs are very high, from insurance to fares. Taxi drivers also expect to be able to make their full living from driving a taxi. All those are barriers to entry which means even moderate sized rural towns can't support a taxi.

Same reason no bus.

It's the trade off for living rurally (like I do) and the obsession with going to the pub

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be an uber driver in Ireland you'll need a SPSV, vehicle licence and taxi insurance. So a taxi driver
    That's in place because of the disaster stories from other countries.

You need garda vetting to get your SPSV licence. Uber has fought every safety step, while they push drivers to dangerous levels.

I feel you are being quiet naive about how the Taxi industry operates in Ireland.

The reality is pretty much any old lad, with almost any car can get a license here. Their is a barrier to entry during to insurance costs, but certainly little or non around vetting.

Fully vetted taxi drivers in Ireland have been found guilty of rape and kidnapping. Of course that is a very small minpority, but it shows how much a joke "vetting" is.

Frankly I feel just as safe in an UberX in the US as I do in a Taxi here. At least with Uber they are tracking both the drivers and your phone and you can share your current location with a family or friend. There is also the whole rating system where drivers with bad rating quickly get kicked off the service.

As I said, I find Ubers in the US and around the world where I've used them (South America) to be very safe and a much higher quality of service to Taxis here.

Sure it is a different model to regulated Taxi's, but I'm pretty convinced it is a superior model, at least from the customer point of view.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ok, my two cents. I live at the edge of a small town but have mobility issues. We don't go to the pub for a drink, because it's too far for me to walk, even to drive up and walk home after. There are two taxis in the town, both of which are making money bringing 4 people at a tine to the next big town and don' have any interest in us. So that's the "live in a town" argument gone out the window.

Ok, my two cents. I live at the edge of a small town but have mobility issues. We don't go to the pub for a drink, because it's too far for me to walk, even to drive up and walk home after. There are two taxis in the town, both of which are making money bringing 4 people at a tine to the next big town and don' have any interest in us. So that's the "live in a town" argument gone out the window.

Apologies no. You would be an outlier, the vast vast majority of people have no issues like yours. Most people giving out are doing so because they can't get beer.

As for Uber, I'm not being naive about the state of the Irish taxi industry but categorically stating that Uber style business is not the answer to any transport issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

I really don't get the problem. You have folks that live in rural Ireland and would like to get out. 19 counties will be subsidised by around 4 I think. Then on top of it you vet a service that's not half bad with no traffic to mess up the time table. Win win if you ask me

Btw. I live in Dublin which will heavily fund this and see nothing from it.

But it be nice in my eyes for folks to have an option if they want to get out regardless the age

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

so cant afford to buy a bus ticket so the state give me a FTP which i can use on the drink link, but can afford a night out in the pub, something is off here, cant put my finger on it

The Uber argument is a fallacy

If such a market existed in rural areas there would already be taxis and hackney's servicing

Where there is a large enough cluster of population this is the reality

The issue with rural Ireland is the one off housing all over the place instead of consolidation in towns and villages.

Just imagine how vibrant rural Ireland would be now if all the one off houses built in the last 20 years were instead built in the immediate vicinity of towns and villages instead of all over the place

That's rural Irelands biggest issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

so cant afford to buy a bus ticket so the state give me a FTP which i can use on the drink link, but can afford a night out in the pub, something is off here, cant put my finger on it

Affordability isn't one of the key factors for the state handing out FTP. Turn 66 and you'll get one yourself regardless of whether you can afford a bus ticket or not.

While I've used Uber extensively abroad, we'll never know whether Uber would work or not in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

howiya wrote: »
    Affordability isn't one of the key factors for the state handing out FTP. Turn 66 and you'll get one yourself regardless of whether you can afford a bus ticket or not.

Saving on healthcare spending is one of the key rationales for the FTP it's not really about affording the fares it was/is to encourage people to get out and about who are in high risk groups to slip into sedentary lifestyles which would cost the state a fortune to treat, it also works as a backdoor domestic tourism booster. Cost isn't really the factor, I was in a VERY unusual position cost wise where I had trouble affording drugs not yet on the GMS system here (private ones) and I had to skimp very badly to afford fares for a period (reprogramming a LEAP card, an anomaly they copped on to eventually :P ), but even in my extreme case that was only necessary for a limited period.
    Means testing it would cost more than you'd save since only about 10% of the population make anyway high incomes most are around the 30-50 k mark and even smaller number have any actual wealth.

The rest of the time I just tried to use the caps to my advantage by pushing as many appointments and errands onto the same day.

On the main topic I find the moaning and whinging about this extraordinary. Ross is a crap transport minister of course, though that should have come as no surprise whatsoever to anyone. I have been telling people for years and told them last time independents only care about their own backyard (with the odd exception) dont vote for them, they will happily screw the rest of the country if their own back yard is taken care of, and Ross is proof of that. Make one a minister and you have him using the national budget for his own backyard working on issues like Garda stations that have jack all to do with his main job. At the same time they've been asking for this for years - and here it is, they gave every license that was applied for. Reminds me of the time I was forced to defend Harris (vomit) from people whinging about medical cannabis saying they could not get access - same thing - he had signed every license that was applied for and still there was moaning.

It's the same with wanting a full general hospital right next door to you when you live in a rural area : your areas population does not bloody support that service.

This is the adult world, all choices have trade offs and consequences. Living in an urban area has disadvantages and so does living in a rural one: this is one of them. We try within the bounds of reason to moderate those disadvantages but ultimately Kerrys not getting a 46a, it's never going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Anyone know where there's a list of the routes?
    See if any boozer local to me is on it!

To thine own self be true

Advertisement