Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Drink Link'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The towns don't have public transport either, it's not as easy as saying move to the nearest village or town. Invest in joining up the towns or just give us Uber and we'll do it ourselves.
    Even with the 50% funding for this scheme is not a sustainable business. That's obvious from the extremely low take up.

The reason the towns don't have public transport is because no one lives in the town and the reason why public transport won't work for the rest of the areas is because people don't live in the town. If the public transport serves enough people to be viable then no one will use it because it takes too long and if they shorten the journey they have to decide who to cut. Our rural public transport is different to every other country in Europe, due to our ribbon development, and European countries struggle with rural transport, so ours is never going to be fixed till people stop living along the roads.

As for the DUI. I live in Dublin but if we were going to a pub with bad transport home then one of us would drive and drink minerals or water. If these rural dwellers are only going out for the company then they can drink tea or coffee or water like the rest of the responsible people do. Having 1 or 2 pints does nothing to the vast majority of people but put them over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The towns don't have public transport either, it's not as easy as saying move to the nearest village or town. Invest in joining up the towns or just give us Uber and we'll do it ourselves.
    Even with the 50% funding for this scheme is not a sustainable business. That's obvious from the extremely low take up.

The pub in my local village, can't actually call it a village as all that's there is a church, a pub, a school and a petrol station, had a full carpark each weekend morning just gone. They operate a drop off service and it's obviously working based on the number of cars left overnight.

The locals, and local publican, don't be whinging to the state that it's the states responsibility to facilitate them going to the pub each weekend and having some alcohol. This is a prime example, and I know there's others, of how a business can actually do something for itself and overcome what others will see as an obstacle they can't overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes it's the morning collecting their cars and being put off the road staight away is the problem.
    This is severe for any rural people and a thing of nothing for people serviced by public transport like Ross. They can still function, it's as good as amputation in the countryside.

Yes it's the morning collecting their cars and being put off the road staight away is the problem.
    This is severe for any rural people and a thing of nothing for people serviced by public transport like Ross. They can still function, it's as good as amputation in the countryside.

If they choose to DUI it doesn't matter what time they do it's still illegal, if they went out for 1 or 2 they'd be over that night but safe in the morning.

If I'm going to have a feed of pints I ensure that I don't need to drive for 12 or more hours, if I have to drive early the next day then I don't drink. Your points are about people wanting to DUI, why do you have to drink to excess if you are only going out for to be social?

Unless you're absolutely on the piss and up early to pick up the car there's no issue. 3,4, 5 pints and a sleep you've nothing to worry about.

When I collected mine at 10.30 I was one of the first do so that morning.

• Advertisement

How do you know you weren't over the limit?

Missing my point that it's a lot more severe a penalty depending on your access to public transport.

You don't get put off the road for being under the limit
    Missing my point that it's a lot more severe a penalty depending on your access to public transport.

So then you don't go mental on the sauce and drive the next day.

4 pints and almost 11 hours since I finished the 4th. Logic tells me.

And I have no public transport at my doorstep but somehow I manage to survive.

Hurrache wrote: »
    4 pints and almost 11 hours since I finished the 4th. Logic tells me.

And I have no public transport at my doorstep but somehow I manage to survive.

4 Erdingers and you were over the limit, off the road straight away.

You'd be glad of public transport then.

Just as well I didn't have 4 of those and meet a Garda checkpoint 11 hours later then isn't it.

And if I did, I have the smarts to leave it longer to collect the car. And if I really needed to be on the road early, I wouldn't have those 4 Erdingers.

It's really not that complicated or difficult.

• Advertisement

But it's now clear your real issue is with day time checkpoints.

The issue is not being able to get from point A to B at night and point C in the morning.

Fine it's sorted where your are but not for a lot of people, try and relate rather than just thinking of your personal situation.

This is an opportunity to do something good and it's a crock of crap.

Come up with some alternative suggestions rather than assumptions about what I might think, this is about Ross and the drink link.

Come up with alternative suggestions? Did you even read my first post on how a alternative suggestion can be so successful for businesses and customers alike. My father in law lives in a stereotypical isolated rural area and even he can get out to the pub a few times a week.

Are you just interested in putting the hand out to the state to facilitate your drinking?

If it's about Ross and the drink link why are you so obsessed with daytime check points?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭17togo

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but I think there should be some kind of connection between the pub owner and providing a service to their customers. So a part of the stipulations of getting a licence would be to provide a minibus service. Obviously there should be some financial incentive for them too ie tax breaks of some sort! A public transport system will never service the areas that the Healy raes are on about, have you seen where some of the pubs of rural Ireland are located!

Yes I want all the money's and daytime checkpoints gone. Will you listen to yourself, I thought you had the smarts.

I want a way of getting around and not to just to the pub, I'm not asking for a licence to drink and drive but I am in favour of not making the rules any harsher due to the serious outcome of the changes and the disproportionate effect it has on anyone not served by somekind of transport outisde of Friday and Saturday night.

I think Uber is the answer in the short term, it would have a more immediate effect nationwide. It would just make it so much easier to get lifts locally all the time.

Clare is already trying the idea http://www.thejournal.ie/rural-transport-clare-3894810-Mar2018/

I think Uber is the answer in the short term, it would have a more immediate effect nationwide. It would just make it so much easier to get lifts locally all the time.

Clare is already trying the idea http://www.thejournal.ie/rural-transport-clare-3894810-Mar2018/

We already have Uber and before that hackney's. The people in rural areas won't use it so there's no service available. Do you think that there's a market for someone to pay €000s in insurance for a few nights a week worth of work?

What's to stop people car sharing and then they can save on the taxi/hackney fare home?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

When I was a teenager, it was the teenagers themselves that organised the bus from the village into the town/ nightclub, including drop off's. I guess there wasn't the same entitlement culture back in the 90's!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

17togo wrote: »
    A public transport system will never service the areas that the Healy raes are on about, have you seen where some of the pubs of rural Ireland are located!

HealyRae is a lunatic that should be put off the roads. The local guards should be waiting around his house on weekend mornings to breathalyse him; he's very strongly insinuated he's a drink driver. On his way up to the big shmoke to tell Shane Ross not to criminalise parents (?!) on Primetime, he tried to drive within 6 inches of my bumper on the M8.

Del2005 wrote: »
    We already have Uber and before that hackney's. The people in rural areas won't use it so there's no service available. Do you think that there's a market for someone to pay €000s in insurance for a few nights a week worth of work?

What's to stop people car sharing and then they can save on the taxi/hackney fare home?

We don't have Uber it was banned from operating in the country.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/uber-banned-from-operating-private-car-rides-in-ireland-1.3169768

If we did have it and it's only a few trips people shouldn't be crippled with insurance for providing a needed service.
    Yes it's not good for Taxi's but if there not willing to provide cover outside weekends people should be able to avail ot an alternative.

McGaggs wrote: »
    HealyRae is a lunatic that should be put off the roads. The local guards should be waiting around his house on weekend mornings to breathalyse him; he's very strongly insinuated he's a drink driver. On his way up to the big shmoke to tell Shane Ross not to criminalise parents (?!) on Primetime, he tried to drive within 6 inches of my bumper on the M8.

He doesn't drink.

We don't have Uber it was banned from operating in the country.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/uber-banned-from-operating-private-car-rides-in-ireland-1.3169768

If we did have it and it's only a few trips people shouldn't be crippled with insurance for providing a needed service.
    Yes it's not good for Taxi's but if there not willing to provide cover outside weekends people should be able to avail ot an alternative.

What's wrong with the local hackneys and mini bus operators? Or even a bit of local entrepreneurship? Why won't a taxi driver operate on a weekend, the most lucrative time of the week, off to the pub?

People in rural areas didn't have a great public transport service and it was pulled from under them all of a sudden. They've managed for generations up until now. Nothing is changing.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with the local hackneys and mini bus operators? Or even a bit of local entrepreneurship? Why won't a taxi driver operate on a weekend, the most lucrative time of the week, off to the pub?

People in rural areas didn't have a great public transport service and it was pulled from under them all of a sudden. They've managed for generations up until now. Nothing is changing.

Did you even read what I wrote. Come on smarty pay attention.

Bollocks, I chose to live in rural setting. And even at that I'm 1 and 2 kilometres from nearest villages, 10km from a big town, 30km from city, and would never expect to have a drink link.

Why would I expect that government subsidise my drinking?
    In my area (North Cork) there are sports clubs, gun clubs, social activities, community centre based activities etc.
    Different activities take part during day and evenings.

Rural Ireland really needs to get over itself, there are sacrifices to living outside habitation hubs.
    And stop making the fecking pub the centre of everything

Did you even read what I wrote. Come on smarty pay attention.

It's hard to follow when you keep moving the goalposts.

Bollocks, I chose to live in rural setting. And even at that I'm 1 and 2 kilometres from nearest villages, 10km from a big town, 30km from city, and would never expect to have a drink link.

Why would I expect that government subsidise my drinking?
    In my area (North Cork) there are sports clubs, gun clubs, social activities, community centre based activities etc.
    Different activities take part during day and evenings.

Rural Ireland really needs to get over itself, there are sacrifices to living outside habitation hubs.
    And stop making the fecking pub the centre of everything

I bet you have access to Taxi's though being only 30km from the city. The argument is this scheme isn't a fix for rural transport.
    Have you any issue with local guys doing an uber to plug the gap.
    Nobody asked anyone to subsidize their drinking, this is a Shane Ross initiative.
    If I'm getting a lift somewhere I expect to pay for it, I just want the option to be able to. With the government not stipulating areas should have cover and banning services such as Uber there's no fix in site.

It's hard to follow when you keep moving the goalposts.

If you made less assumptions your probably fair better.

I bet you have access to Taxi's though being only 30km from the city. The argument is this scheme isn't a fix for rural transport.
    Have you any issue with local guys doing an uber to plug the gap.
    Nobody asked anyone to subsidize their drinking, this is a Shane Ross initiative.
    If I'm getting a lift somewhere I expect to pay for it, I just want the option to be able to. With the government not stipulating areas should have cover and banning services such as Uber there's no fix in site.

Why do you need a lift? Why can't you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

UberX and UberPool (both of which we don't have in this country) would be perfect for rural Ireland. From experience of UberX in other countries, drivers do it for a bit of extra cash, not as their main source of income. So you get students, to retirees, and everything in between. Uber self-insure (like Dublin Bus) so there is no problem with insurance.

The drink link is costing taxpayers €450,000 and is providing a limited service. UberX would have cost nothing and would provide a door-to-door service.

Why do you need a lift? Why can't you drive?

Because I'll be having a few beers. This isn't about me it's only the odd time I need help getting home but I would move a lot more around if I knew I could get around more easily.

Because I'll be having a few beers. This isn't about me it's only the odd time I need help getting home but I would move a lot more around if I knew I could get around more easily.

So you choose to live in a rural setting, set social scene around the pub, and expect a public transport system to facilitate this?

Or have Uber (and its massive horrid flaws) use a gig economy of exploitation to facilitate this?

No one's forcing you or anyone else to have a few beers.

• Advertisement

And what do you mean by move around??

Advertisement