Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Days Work For A Dublin Bus Driver

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If you think Dublin Bus workers have it easy and cushy and are overpaid why don't you apply next time they are hiring. If you don't you are either on the dole and too lazy to work or you don't have a full driving licence if your looking for a driving role that is.

I couldn’t afford the pay cut, now would I give up my evenings and weekends.

But then I worked hard to get where I am so I wouldn’t have to work evenings and weekends. I did it for years, didn’t like it, re-skilled and now earn twice what I did before.

I’m still think it’s a cushy job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

pjohnson wrote: »
    Or already be employed. And doing a job you're happy with. Plenty of reasons not to apply actually. That line is quite tired tbh. If you dont support bus drivers you must be unemployed.

If that's the case then maybe you should shut up and let the hard working DB drivers do their job. If your happy in your job fair enough but don't complain about others who may try to improve their lot or maybe your just happy in your because you kiss your employers arse.

amcalester wrote: »
    I couldn’t afford the pay cut, now would I give up my evenings and weekends.

But then I worked hard to get where I am so I wouldn’t have to work evenings and weekends. I did it for years, didn’t like it, re-skilled and now earn twice what I did before.

I’m still think it’s a cushy job though.

So it's a cushy job that is lower paid than your job and has worse hours but yet you wouldn't do it. Great logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If that's the case then maybe you should shut up and let the hard working DB drivers do their job. If your happy in your job fair enough but don't complain about others who may try to improve their lot or maybe your just happy in your because you kiss your employers arse.
    No I dont. I just do my job if my employer was a cúnt I'd leave. Have you missed the driver posting how he doesn't work hard anymore because of the big mean roster? When they'll strike as usual it spreads to other companies and then we all suffer for their greed.

So it's a cushy job that is lower paid than your job and has worse hours but yet you wouldn't do it. Great logic there.

Why would anyone take a pay cut unless necessary? What logic is that :pac:

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    No I dont. I just do my job if my employer was a cúnt I'd leave. Have you missed the driver posting how he doesn't work hard anymore because of the big mean roster? When they'll strike as usual it spreads to other companies and then we all suffer for their greed.

And if your employer was a cúnt would you work as hard. You even stated that ex DB workers wouldn't get employed by most other employers. So if it was a choice between the dole and working for DB what would you pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

And if your employer was a cúnt would you work as hard. You even stated that ex DB workers wouldn't get employed by most other employers. So if it was a choice between the dole and working for DB what would you pick?

Many opportunities to retrain these days. Other bus companies to drive for.

Cushy? Yes.

An attractive job for me? No.

The hours are the hours, can’t really be helped. Someone has to drive the early/late/weekend buses. That doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s a relatively unskilled yet high paying secure job i.e. cushy

If DB is actually toxic I simply wouldn't stay there long enough to become such a work shy money expectant moaner that couldn't be employed elsewhere. I would leave ASAP. I would instead work at what I enjoy. Not work myself to depression.

Cushy? Yes.

An attractive job for me? No.

The hours are the hours, can’t really be helped. Someone has to drive the early/late/weekend buses. That doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s a relatively unskilled yet high paying secure job i.e. cushy

Double decker buses are not easy to drive a long with rigids they are probably the hardest vehicles on the road to drive. It is not highly paid either new recruits get €30k a year and most drivers would in region the region of €40k. A highly experienced driver could probably expect about €45-50k hardly highly paid is it. How can you say it's unskilled or cushy when you wouldn't do it.

I'm sure you have a highly skilled job.

• Advertisement

Many opportunities to retrain these days. Other bus companies to drive for.

But why would you want to work for any of them. They pay even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

But why would you want to work for any of them. They pay even worse.

Money isn't everything in life. 1/3 of my day is spent in work. I could have moved a number of times for more money. That would have resulted in more pressure and probably longer hours. I choose to stay where I was happy on less money. I have a better quality of life. I can go in early and leave early and so have more time with my family. I really can't understand why people stay in jobs when they are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I really can't understand why people stay in jobs when they are not happy.

Why move when you can take the industry high wages and do a half assed job instead?

Double decker buses are not easy to drive a long with rigids they are probably the hardest vehicles on the road to drive. It is not highly paid either new recruits get €30k a year and most drivers would in region the region of €40k. A highly experienced driver could probably expect about €45-50k hardly highly paid is it. How can you say it's unskilled or cushy when you wouldn't do it.

I'm sure you have a highly skilled job.

You’re basing this on the premise that driving is hard. I don’t think it is.

Driving a bus is harder than driving a car but that doesn’t make it hard in the grand scheme of things.

Wages are high in comparison to other unskilled work, particularly in Dublin Bus.

I wouldn’t do it because I can earn more money with better conditions elsewhere.

To be honest I don’t, but I worked out what I’m good at and how to apply it in the real world and I’m well paid for that.

You’re basing this on the premise that driving is hard. I don’t think it is.

Driving a bus is harder than driving a car but that doesn’t make it hard in the grand scheme of things.

Wages are high in comparison to other unskilled work, particularly in Dublin Bus.

I wouldn’t do it because I can earn more money with better conditions elsewhere.

To be honest I don’t, but I worked out what I’m good at and how to apply it in the real world and I’m well paid for that.

But have you ever driven a bus, do you have a D licence. How you say it's unskilled if you've never done it. What would you class as skilled and unskilled, every job that doesn't require a college degree is it?

So you are admitting that either DB drivers DB drivers don't have it cushy or you have it cushy too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This isn't going anywhere good -- locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement