Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Days Work For A Dublin Bus Driver

Options
  • 06-05-2018 1:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭

a look at a real roster for a days work for a db driver
    this is the new 145 bogey roster, both the donnybrook and bray based ones.
    posters moaning about a long commute to work, well this is what DB drivers have to put up with after they get to work, your job dont seem to bad now does it?
    you wonder why db buses dont run?
    wonder no more, this is why driver would go sick, very tiresome doing a duty like this day in and day out, remember spare drivers only get 24 hour notice of what they are working, try have any life with work shifts like this.
    You still think DB bus driving is a handy job and DB have zero problems hiring and retaining drivers?

imgur.com/a/RMf0AcV

this is what the sections are
    1 report
    2 depart
    3 place
    4 break start
    5 place
    6 report
    7 depart
    8 place
    9 finish
    10 place
    11 sign off
    12 spread
    13 relief
    14 work

(error on first dbrook duty, 6 should be 14:58)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'd love to drive a Dublin bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Don’t like it change job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

amcalester wrote: »

thats exactly what happens
    so wonder no more as to why buses dont turn up
    doing this type of shift day in day out you are going to get sick of it pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

wonder no more, this is why driver would go sick, very tiresome doing a duty like this day in and day out, remember spare drivers only get 24 hour notice of what they are working, try have any life with work shifts like this.

You're roster looks very nice. Airline crews do significantly longer hours with minimum breaks. Wow 24 hours that's a day notice, when flying you get 1.5 hour notice to turn up at the airport.

No sympathy from me, it's called a job which you do get good pay for.

moloner4 wrote: »
    You're roster looks very nice. Airline crews do significantly longer hours with minimum breaks. Wow 24 hours that's a day notice, when flying you get 1.5 hour notice to turn up at the airport.

No sympathy from me, it's called a job which you do get good pay for.

fab roster, get up before the birds to get to work, spend 3,4 or 5 hours on a unpaid break and get home after the sun has gone down.
    no wonder DB has zero problems recruiting staff, sure who wouldnt want to work those hours with only a text today at 10am informing you that you are working one of these wonderful shifts tomorrow.
    nothing so joyful as finishing a 11am start duty at 2100 and knowing you will be on a 7am start and 1900 finish the next day, truly invigorating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

fab roster, get up before the birds to get to work, spend 3,4 or 5 hours on a unpaid break and get home after the sun has gone down.
    no wonder DB has zero problems recruiting staff, sure who wouldnt want to work those hours with only a text today at 10am informing you that you are working one of these wonderful shifts tomorrow.
    nothing so joyful as finishing a 11am start duty at 2100 and knowing you will be on a 7am start and 1900 finish the next day, truly invigorating.

If you hate it so much why not apply for somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

myshirt wrote: »

apply then. let us know how you get on.
    amcalester wrote: »

nope improve it and make it a better job instead.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

a look at a real roster for a days work for a db driver

If I tried to list out my "roster" it would melt a bus drivers head, but then I don't have it in me to "go sick".

If I tried to list out my "roster" it would melt a bus drivers head, but then I don't have it in me to "go sick".

so either on the dole and your roster consists of crawling out of bed to to watch tv and eating crisps all day or a work martyr, grave yards are full of them who die young

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Self driving buses please

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Self driving buses please

not a concern for any current bus driver, wont happen in our work life time, which is unfortunate as the redundancy pay would no doubt be very high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Anybody that’s not happy in a job should leave and get another . Not be on the internet giving out about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

or a work martyr

Otherwise known as "anybody who can do a decent days work without whining".

Want to hear a funny story? In my company there is only one thing the foreman, service manager and aftersales manager are agreed upon, and its that we will never hire anybody who came from Dublin bus workshops. Not one of us has ever worked with anybody worth a damn who came from there, the attitudes bred in that work environment are just horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

apply then. let us know how you get on.

Can't apply. The union boys have it all wrapped up for their current members. Hard for another man to get in on it.

Anyway, I was serious. I would love to drive a Dublin bus. Im an anarchist and I don't give a f#ck about the general public, so I'll gladly take the overinflated wages for driving a bus.

Can't apply. The union boys have it all wrapped up for their current members. Hard for another man to get in on it.

Anyway, I was serious. I would love to drive a Dublin bus. Im an anarchist and I don't give a f#ck about the general public, so I'll gladly take the overinflated wages for driving a bus.

August DB are hiring keep eye on web site, open to all.

Otherwise known as "anybody who can do a decent days work without whining".

Want to hear a funny story? In my company there is only one thing the foreman, service manager and aftersales manager are agreed upon, and its that we will never hire anybody who came from Dublin bus workshops. Not one of us has ever worked with anybody worth a damn who came from there, the attitudes bred in that work environment are just horrendous.

things that never happened #35,765

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

im a one off, made in the image of god almighty

So how come you work as bus driver just wondering?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So how come you work as bus driver just wondering?

jesus was a humble carpenter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's a thankless job in my opinion!
    I've seen a few guys being verbally abused by the cream of Dublin commuters
    but maybe they're used to it and heard it all before but I assume you don't become immune to it.
    What a terrific job these drivers are doing transporting us around our nations capital with little or no credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

jesus was a humble carpenter

Jesus didn't exist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

jim salter wrote: »
    Jesus didn't exist

Oh yes he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

spurshero wrote: »
    Anybody that’s not happy in a job should leave and get another . Not be on the internet giving out about it .

That's silly. People give out about their jobs all the time.

If something is wrong should we quit or try to improve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are you the guy who has been on two or three times before to give an insight into driving a bus?

Why start a thread and immediately go on the offensive? I'm sure driving a bus is a difficult job and most would acknowledge that but you don't do yourself any favours with these threads.

If anything you just raise hackles. Do you bring this attitude to work? Are you aggressive and snide towards your passengers each day?

I'm hoping you're the same guy as I would hate to think there are so many of you driving around all day pissed off at the job, the passengers and the world in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Did someone get off the bus and not say thanks?
    Ungrateful bastids and you there driving them around out of the goodness of your heart.

You get paid to do a job like the rest of us. If you don’t like the job try something else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If someone is so unhappy in their job that they start a thread on the internet about it, then it’s time for them to change jobs. Especially when they have so many lives in their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

nope. we already know what you stated is factually wrong given plenty of drivers have come from the outside via the various recruitment drives the company have gone on.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Oh yes he did!

On no, he didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....You still think DB bus driving is a handy job and DB have zero problems hiring and retaining drivers?....)
    It seems odd then that private operators lose so many drivers to Dublin Bus where they go for better pay and terms and conditions of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Its not a bad job. The new bills are a killer though. With zero turn around time when you get to your terminus.

This is why your buses are not arriving. I stopped caring about being on time.

Trick I learned to survive the day is to not give a sh1t about what passengers do as long as they dont set the place on fire with me in it. Pay what you want, do what you want.

. I just smile, drive and try to draw a bit of craic out of passengers on the way.

As a spare man, I bring my own vasoline at this stage. All my duties are over 8 and half hours with 55min break for the day.

I work the same hours as many senior men and they do an extra day.

• Advertisement

The union boys have it all wrapped up for their current members. Hard for another man to get in on it.
    Collie D wrote: »
    Are you the guy who has been on two or three times before to give an insight into driving a bus?

unhealthy level of paranoia on display, seek help

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement