Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Irish people with real talent down the decades got the big jobs on big money in the UK media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Irish people with real talent down the decades got the big jobs on big money in the UK media
    Well the current crop of RTE pricks are certainly Irish, but can't get big jobs on big money in the UK media.

I wonder what's missing :angel:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ have a new show starting next week about how people reacted to being interviewed by Gay Byrne on an RTÉ show!

This is the future people. Embrace it.

Yet another RTÉ show that’s main focus is another RTÉ show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

RTÉ have a new show starting next week about how people reacted to being interviewed by Gay Byrne on an RTÉ show!

Another payout for “uncle Gaybo”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

meta RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Another payout for “uncle Gaybo”

Ah shur God love him, the investments didn't work out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sweet Jesus.....

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

RTE and terrestrial television in general seems to be used mostly by people of a certain generation. In 20 years or so, their viewing figures will have flatlined.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In 20 years or so, their viewing figures will have flatlined.

So to make up for the loss of ad revenue in 20 years, the TV Licence should be about €360!

• Advertisement

So to make up for the loss of ad revenue in 20 years, the TV Licence should be about €360!
    And if you refuse to pay they sic Twink on you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Well the current crop of RTE pricks are certainly Irish, but can't get big jobs on big money in the UK media.

I wonder what's missing :angel:

That's pretty simple, the previous generation like Gaybo etc got where they were largely on merit, the current crop were manufactured by crony RTE and never earned their slot, it was handed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

conorhal wrote: »
    That's pretty simple, the previous generation like Gaybo etc got where they were largely on merit, the current crop were manufactured by crony RTE and never earned their slot, it was handed to them.

The so called RTE “Royalty”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

grahambo wrote: »
    Dee Forbes is at it again over the TV licence fee.

Whinging the €60m wasn't collected and RTE cannot compete.

That's about 375,00 homes not paying the fee, so evasion is about 15%

The whole TV licence thing REALLY bugs me.
    I don't watch RTE, not even for the Soccer/GAA. I might listen to the radio when I drive the car in the morning (which is once a blue moon)
    I don't use the service, why the hell should I have to pay for it!

Obviously we cannot get rid of RTE as there are a great many people that do use the service.
    That being said massive reforms are needed.
    Firstly, do we really need RTE1 and RTE2? One channel would be enough.
    Same with the radio stations, we only need one.
    Do we REALLY need TG4?

The land they are on as well is ridiculous, some of the most valuable land in the country. They don't need to be there, they could be out in Athlone or somewhere an no one would know the difference.

And then there's the salaries of the bigshots
    Ryan Tubridy - €500,000 per year is the biggest Joke of all
    That salary puts him on a par with the likes of Claudia Winkleman, Alan Shearer, Fiona Bruce of the BBC.
    He is nothing compared to them.
    BBC can justify big salaries as it is broadcast around the world, and the content is generally quite good.
    No one outside of Ireland know's who Tubb's is.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rte-director-general-calls-for-changes-in-tv-licence-fee-as-60m-uncollected-annually-840770.html

Move to Athlone?, you must hate RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Worse than all of that nonsense is paying through the hoop with taxpayer for foreign sitcoms, when they could be making their own ones (and shows of all kind) for a fraction of the cost over here. Many would be awful but some good, it would employ and develop Irish talent (not just actors, directors, writers and camera crew, but all sorts from editing to makeup to wardrobe and so on), create Irish products (and who knows... the fecking Lyrics Board got licensed out to 26 other countries), and also lead to further knock-on Irish employment in terms of catering staff and what-have-you. And in this day and age, yes these shows can be done on an absolute shoestring if needed.

Instead... they just flush the money down the toilet on sitcoms we can already see on British TV (as well as online in many instances), that would likely have been bought by TV3 at a lower cost anyway if RTE weren't so interested in using money intended for industry development on muscling out the private sector. As putrid and lazy as the "jobs for the boys" and "here's a show about one of our other shows!" culture in RTE is, that is far far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are they seriously going to go up to the 'famous' people who Gay interviewed and ask them how did he make them feel when he interviewed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Will they include the ones who replied "interviewed by who?" or is it just gonna be the Irish "celebrities" looking for air time and free booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The attraction here presumably are the celebrities,never mind that they'll be talking about an interview they had thirty years ago.

It's the kind of thing you'd expect to see maybe a year or so after he'd passed away.

Or maybe an hour special of the most famous events of his life, not bringing back some has been's from the 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

In all honest if I lived alone they wouldnt get anything from me since the only thing I'd own is a laptop and monitor for gaming. Dont watch TV so not paying for something I dont use, need or want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Infini wrote: »
    In all honest if I lived alone they wouldnt get anything from me since the only thing I'd own is a laptop and monitor for gaming. Dont watch TV so not paying for something I dont use, need or want.

Any device capable of receiving tv eg laptop...such as rte player ....a tv licence is required as far as I know. A licence for dire programmes that have been on Netflix or other channel. RTE still working on the premise that it is the only broadcaster. The politicians will keep it though as its a go to pulpit.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Any device capable of receiving tv eg laptop...such as rte player ....a tv licence is required as far as I know. A licence for dire programmes that have been on Netflix or other channel. RTE still working on the premise that it is the only broadcaster. The politicians will keep it though as its a go to pulpit.

To correct you - any device capable of receiving a terrestrial broadcast signal (either by aerial or dish), downloading online like Netflix is not included in the requirements of a TV licence - tho they want to make it so it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mr.Micro wrote: »

As posted above, this is completely incorrect but something RTE have tried to get the government to pass into legislation for a while.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Tubridy has tried his hand at the BBC a couple of times and came running back to the RTE safe space with his tail between his legs
    Gaybo did the same in the 60's. He did just one show in England and it was 'don't call us, we'll call you'. The rumour is that he always hated Terry Wogan because he was trying to crack the BBC at the same time as Gay but it worked out great for him.

Gaybo did the same in the 60's. He did just one show in England and it was 'don't call us, we'll call you'. The rumour is that he always hated Terry Wogan because he was trying to crack the BBC at the same time as Gay but it worked out great for him.

He had the offer of work in the US,the whole country however had conniptions that he might leave.
    He looked eager to give it a try if I remember rightly.

How come he's not still on The Late Show anyway.
    One day a week gig,perfect for him.

Not entirely far-fetched I bet.

https://youtu.be/2xMXGUqAcqI

So lads if i'm correct 1. if i get a monitor that cannot receive a terrestrial signal i don't have to pay a tv licence ?

2. Does this include freesat, bbc itv channel 4 and the like ? Thanks.

A satellite dish requires a licence

They're going to spend 1.7 million on a new set for the news.
    1.7 million on a set! How in the name of JC? It's plywood and a few lights.

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-news-studio-4052489-Jun2018/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

kneemos wrote: »
    They're going to spend 1.7 million on a new set for the news.
    1.7 million on a set! How in the name of JC? It's plywood and a few lights.

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-news-studio-4052489-Jun2018/

while I don't agree with the license or the spend, a modern newsroom is certainly more than plywood and a few lights. they'll be modern digital doodads but still how they get 1.7 mil is beyond me even with the installation labour.

tho it got me thinking, could they not just replace a load of presenters with holograms and cut salaries that way? an Alexa type voice could handle the text to speech and it's not like they need to come up with stuff on the fly for the news like a talk show host does. a hologram wouldn't need sick days, holidays or maternity leave. it's probably the one job that most lends itself to a hologram.

heck, you could make a Tubridy hologram no bother, in fact a hologram probably would have more wit. the only drawback is you can't punch a hologram in the face. well you can, but it would be unsatisfying. though there would also be the advantage of a lack of legal repercussions and no danger of cutting your knuckle on one of the sharp angles of his pointy head.

Advertisement