Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

RTE is and has always been so badly run its hard to know where to start.
    The cost over-runs are many and common.
    Little things like the cost of sending an entry to Eurovision, something like 100k+.
    Aertel.
    Paying over the odds to mediocre presentersb]who just happen to have extensive family connections to the organisation[/b in generic presenting jobs that anyone could do.
    Live sports programs - 3 analysts on the panel, one or two presenters, commentator and co commentator - pitchside reporter.
    Commissioning drama programs which continuously flop.
    2FM - heavily subsidised and does nothing that a hundred other independent stations don't do.
    Two orchestras.
    Expanded a little bit on your point there.

RTE should be burnt to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

VinLieger wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »
    hasn't he left that position?

Yup because he lost literally every sporting event or license that he bid for, they lost the rugby world cup and six nations, they no longer have any pro14 games, then theres new football adjustments and they have vastly reduced gaa coverage. He oversaw a literal demolishing of the entire RTE sports department as they simply don't have anything to show anymore.

Because they couldn't afford them no?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If they can’t bid enough to secure the rights and are being outbid by TV3, maybe that suggests that they do need more funding.

They already have way more funding than TV3 as they have a larger audience so can charge more for adverts and get the vast majority of the license fee, if they cannot compete with TV3 it indicates a systemic problem on how they operate, ie as has been pointed out many times their bloated salaries that the same people would be unable to get anything close to at another station and well documented outdated work practices

TV3 are owned by Virgin right?

I bet they have way more money for rights bids than RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

lawred2 wrote: »
    TV3 are owned by Virgin right?

I bet they have way more money for rights bids than RTE.

They acquired them in december 2015 which was after they beat out RTE for the rugby world cup and six nations contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTE is and has always been so badly run its hard to know where to start.
    The cost over-runs are many and common.
    Little things like the cost of sending an entry to Eurovision, something like 100k+.
    Aertel.
    Paying over the odds to mediocre presenters in generic presenting jobs that anyone could do.
    Live sports programs - 3 analysts on the panel, one or two presenters, commentator and co commentator - pitchside reporter.
    Commissioning drama programs which continuously flop.
    2FM - heavily subsidised and does nothing that a hundred other independent stations don't do.
    Two orchestras.

2016 Eurovision entry cost something like 340,000,sixteen people I think.
    Dunno what it costs these days.

• Advertisement

They acquired them in december 2015 which was after they beat out RTE for the rugby world cup and six nations contracts

UTV owned them before Virgin.
    They we're barely surviving on their own if I remember rightly, couldn't have bid on an eBay auction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

I bet if he put together an attractive enough offer they would have no problem but again he seems incapable of doing that as he has lost pretty much every bid he went in for

The GAA said clearly that there would be no extra games available for television. If Ryle Nugent did as you say he should you would be on here banging on about a waste of money.

EdEd wrote: »
    The GAA said clearly that there would be no extra games available for television. If Ryle Nugent did as you say he should you would be on here banging on about a waste of money.

No i wouldn't because that would be rte actually following through on their mandate of airing national sports which they barely do anymore.

I also am starting to believe you have some kind of connection to RTE

I don't have a connection to RTE. I get fed up of people posting baseless claims. You making that claim about me says more about your paranoia. Keep whispering to yourself that others will sometimes not agree with you.

I get fed up of people posting baseless claims.

You should probably just turn off the internet then if your going to be that sensitive

• Advertisement

You should probably just turn off the internet then if your going to be that sensitive

And you should stop bull****ting.

And you should stop bull****ting.

Meh I have my opinions and you have yours..... mine just happen to be right :D:D

Meh I have my opinions and you have yours..... mine just happen to be right :D:D

Good for you. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy life.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2000 staff with an average wage of 71k is 142m a year! Cutting staff and wages alone would massively reduce deficit and reliance on the ancient relic TV licence.

700k a year on Aertel - Cut that ****e off
    12m on 2 orchestras - Cut that in half

And Forbes had the gall to say
    RTE's main financial win would be if Revenue began to collect the licence fee as evasion would be effectively stamped out. It would deliver up to €50m in extra revenue, RTE believes. "All we are saying is that if everybody paid the licence fee, the problem would be solved," said Forbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Every pig wants a deeper trough tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I have no problem with the licence fee paying for more and better Irish produced television.

But when its used to pay higher salaries than competitors and to people who do a worse job than competitors than they can forget about a hike.

I'd rather see it privatised and the licence fee abolished than another hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

2000 staff with an average wage of 71k is 142m a year! Cutting staff and wages alone would massively reduce deficit and reliance on the ancient relic TV licence.

700k a year on Aertel - Cut that ****e off
    12m on 2 orchestras - Cut that in half

And Forbes had the gall to say

I'm all for keeping retro niche technology but how in the name of jaysus is aertel costing 700k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There are times when I think RTE get a bad rep and I start to feel a degree of sympathy to them.......and then they completely outdo themselves with this sort of rubbish.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0516/963899-amy-huberman-begins-production-on-new-rte-comedy/

It's so painfully predictable it's not funny. I can just see them there in their offices with some bar chart for gender splits in the various shows they've commissioned and the starring roles across the board. Must add another female comedy to the mix, let's hope it's as funny as Can't Laugh, Won't Laugh.

Amy Huberman is not a good actress.
    Amy Huberman is not funny.

Amy Huberman should therefore not have had a comedy that she has written commissioned. I guarantee this was agreed before a word of this was written by the way. There's no way "Aymz" would have bothered to write this unless there was some sort of silent deal on the table.

I look forward to the countless sycophantic tweets and endless promotion of this on RTE, the Indo (Amy's propaganda machine), the Daily Edge, the Journal, all that other rubbish that publishes articles about "Why we love so and so" when that person is largely not universally loved. It'll be hailed as the greatest thing of all time.

As for the actresses involved, well at least Bea is an actress, but Whitmore? Where did she fit into all this? Could they not have found somebody who can actually act, or at least has a bit of charisma or humour to them? Who are these people who love Huberman and Whitmore where there's this sort of invisible demand for them to be on our tv screens? Any time I hear a general member of the public comment on them it's in the negative, in terms of their career anyway. This would absolutely not have been commissioned on a network that wasn't publicly funded and therefore requiring some degree of a return on investment.

At least the storyline is original though eh. Let the IFTA's flow on this one.

Tripe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm all for keeping retro niche technology but how in the name of jaysus is aertel costing 700k?

The 20k typist
    The 40k supervisor
    The 60k assistant manager
    The 120k manager

Add on another 20% for PRSI, plus bonuses and perks you're now close to half the cost.

A dinosaur of a station.
    The RTE player is laughable, tried to watch something the other day. Kept losing connection after the ads played - third time it actually worked then got ads after another 30 mins and guess what...

These high paid presenters do not do anything that anyone in the business could do just as well for a fraction of the price. Hell Joe Duffy - what does he do exactly but just answer the phone (and promote his book) - get a receptionist in for 20k a year, be the same as it's the callers that make the program not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

Yup because he lost literally every sporting event or license that he bid for, they lost the rugby world cup and six nations, they no longer have any pro14 games, then theres new football adjustments and they have vastly reduced gaa coverage. He oversaw a literal demolishing of the entire RTE sports department as they simply don't have anything to show anymore.

RTÉ still has a great deal of GAA coverage - some live matches and regular Sunday night highlights - the Summer Olympics and Euro, World Cup and some League of Ireland football.

Do you not think RTÉ has enough sports coverage?

• Advertisement

RTÉ still has a great deal of GAA coverage - some live matches and regular Sunday night highlights - the Summer Olympics and Euro, World Cup and some League of Ireland football.

If you have to include the Olympics and world cup you're really trying to dress a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Most of those sport events now are shared with tv3 (the soccer) or eir (the Loi and they barely show any interest in showing matches)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s always funny when they try to justify the huge salaries of their ‘top talent’ by saying they have to pay such high wages or they’ll lose the talent to rivals!!!

What rivals? TV3??? They don’t exactly have millions in cash to fling at Tubs or Finucane to get them to swap sides!! (Finucane gets something like €120,000 a year to do 3-4 hours radio at the weekend. And that’s it.)

What’s also infuriating is the likes of Tubs et all aren’t direct employees of RTÉ, but rather they are employees of their own limited companies that sub contract themselves out to RTÉ for massive fee’s, then they simply pay themselves modest salaries from their companies to keep their tax as low as possible. So Ryan Tubridy Ltd might charge RTÉ €500,000 per year for Ryan’s ‘talents’, but Ryan Tubridy himself (an employee of Ryan Tubridy Ltd) might only be on €60,000 a year. Paying very little tax in comparison to an employee earning €500k a year, while Ryan Tubridy Ltd pays for the extravagant lifestyle (fancy house/car/holidays etc...)

It’s always funny when they try to justify the huge salaries of their ‘top talent’ by saying they have to pay such high wages or they’ll lose the talent to rivals!!!

What rivals? TV3??? They don’t exactly have millions in cash to fling at Tubs or Finucane to get them to swap sides!! (Finucane gets something like €120,000 a year to do 3-4 hours radio at the weekend. And that’s it.)

What’s also infuriating is the likes of Tubs et all aren’t direct employees of RTÉ, but rather they are employees of their own limited companies that sub contract themselves out to RTÉ for massive fee’s, then they simply pay themselves modest salaries from their companies to keep their tax as low as possible. So Ryan Tubridy Ltd might charge RTÉ €500,000 per year for Ryan’s ‘talents’, but Ryan Tubridy himself (an employee of Ryan Tubridy Ltd) might only be on €60,000 a year. Paying very little tax in comparison to an employee earning €500k a year, while Ryan Tubridy Ltd pays for the extravagant lifestyle (fancy house/car/holidays etc...)

You under value our beloved Marian. More like 300,000,for the odd time she shows up.

Nope they do not have the summer olympics anymore as Discovery did a 1.3B deal with the IOC to get all rights, that's obviously not RTE's fault but they will now have to bid for the irish rights and i fully expect them to lose if TV3/Virgin go in for it.

And no I don't think they have enough sports coverage as the only sport I care about watching, rugby, they have lost pretty much all coverage of except for 3 matches in November and yet I still have to pay a license fee for channels i never watch anymore for that reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

None of that are allowable expenses, so would be subject to benefit-in-kind. More likely they pay massive contributions to occupational pension schemes to avoid tax legally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ligerdub wrote: »
    There are times when I think RTE get a break rep and I start to feel a degree of sympathy to them.......and then they completely outdo themselves with this sort of rubbish.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0516/963899-amy-huberman-begins-production-on-new-rte-comedy/

It's so painfully predictable it's not funny. I can just see them there in their offices with some bar chart for gender splits in the various shows they've commissioned and the starring roles across the board. Must add another female comedy to the mix, let's hope it's as funny as Can't Laugh, Won't Laugh.

Amy Huberman is not a good actress.
    Amy Huberman is not funny.

Amy Huberman should therefore not have had a comedy that she has written commissioned. I guarantee this was agreed before a word of this was written by the way. There's no way "Aymz" would have bothered to write this unless there was some sort of silent deal on the table.

I look forward to the countless sycophantic tweets and endless promotion of this on RTE, the Indo (Amy's propaganda machine), the Daily Edge, the Journal, all that other rubbish that publishes articles about "Why we love so and so" when that person is largely not universally loved. It'll be hailed as the greatest thing of all time.

As for the actresses involved, well at least Bea is an actress, but Whitmore? Where did she fit into all this? Could they not have found somebody who can actually act, or at least has a bit of charisma or humour to them? Who are these people who love Huberman and Whitmore where there's this sort of invisible demand for them to be on our tv screens? Any time I hear a general member of the public comment on them it's in the negative, in terms of their career anyway. This would absolutely not have been commissioned on a network that wasn't publicly funded and therefore requiring some degree of a return on investment.

At least the storyline is original though eh. Let the IFTA's flow on this one.

Tripe!

It won't be one bit funny, it will be cringey to watch no doubt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It always pisses me off is, if I'm forced to pay a licence fee to fund RTE, why the **** do I have to put up with massive pop-up ads on the rte website?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Very true. And contrary to popular belief, the BBC and Channel 4 aren't champing at the bit to pay over half a million quid to Ryan Tubridy should RTÉ not be forking out.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Very true. And contrary to popular belief, the BBC and Channel 4 aren't champing at the bit to pay over half a million quid to Ryan Tubridy should RTÉ not be forking out.

Tubridy has tried his hand at the BBC a couple of times and came running back to the RTE safe space with his tail between his legs

Advertisement