Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some of the figures beggar belief
    600k for TV's - I mean seriously WTF? You can get a large 4k TV for under a grand (and even that would be too high tech for them but nothing wrong with future proofing)

LED lighting at 150k - someone needs to have look at aliexpress (probably where the contractor will be buying them from). How the hell can it cost that much just for LED's

As for the hologram comment - well I wouldn't notice the difference with the current evening news presenters. Also why do they need 2 presenters...Sky news have one most of the day

Ahh well grand to be sure you're still gonna get paid regardless what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

while I don't agree with the license or the spend, a modern newsroom is certainly more than plywood and a few lights. they'll be modern digital doodads but still how they get 1.7 mil is beyond me even with the installation labour.

When they know that they have the population by the throat ["If you don't pay your TV license fee you can be fined or even face prison"]they think money's no object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

News set build outs are never particularly cheap.

Most of the cost would be design, lighting systems, automation systems and so on. It's a significant enough project.

That's not the kind of cost that I would be complaining about in RTE. It's more the huge administrative overhead, the bits that are nothing to do with broadcasting and the very inflated salaries.

TVE for example, back in 2014:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

EdgeCase wrote: »
    News set build outs are never particularly cheap.

Most of the cost would be design, lighting systems, automation systems and so on. It's a significant enough project.

That's not the kind of cost that I would be complaining about in RTE. It's more the huge administrative overhead, the bits that are nothing to do with broadcasting and the very inflated salaries.

TVE for example, back in 2014:

Design consultants I suspect are taking a big chunk of the 1.7 million.

That stuff isn't cheap and there's been a big shift in uptake of HDTV which genuinely does warrant a total redesign to make use of it.

The current setup is looking very tired at this stage and doesn't make great use of the high resolutions available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Instead of doing up the studio they could just get a couple of tins of green paint and do some CGI :P

That stuff isn't cheap and there's been a big shift in uptake of HDTV which genuinely does warrant a total redesign to make use of it.

The current setup is looking very tired at this stage and doesn't make great use of the high resolutions available.

Does it need all the bells and whistles?
    Simple can work just as well.

Channel four is a table,a few chairs and a giant telly. No doubt they managed to design it all by themselves as well.
    The BBC just has the newsroom in the background.
    Why does RTE need carry on like they're some giant network channel?

BBC spent 1bn on that building refurb...

Channel 4 news is also a bit more than a few chairs

https://www.channel4.com/news/channel-4-news-moves-into-pioneering-new-studio

That wasn't just on a news studio (still under criticism for spending that much on the building)

Channel 4 can do what they like with their money - it's their money and not funded by Joe Public

• Advertisement

Looks like a table and a few chairs to me.
    Unless there's something there I can't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

RTÉ have a new show starting next week about how people reacted to being interviewed by Gay Byrne on an RTÉ show!

This is the future people. Embrace it.

Yet another RTÉ show that’s main focus is another RTÉ show.

It's all self generating, they're celebs if they're on RTÉ, so all they need do is interview each other, which they do already.

It's weird, they seem to act like everyone has just them on the TV down the country. Saorview, Virgin and Sky don't exist. They live in a time warp, even if they pretend to live in the 21st century. I mean there is zero justification for the sheer volume of imported programming. They can do excellent series, or commission quality programming. And the presenter salaries would not really be justified if the population had an extra zero, for this country it's insane. A TV presenter doesn't earn, I mean deserve, the salary of a CEO or President, both of whom would often be paid less.
    Another payout for “uncle Gaybo”

I hope an accountant doesn't rob it on him again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's weird, they seem to act like everyone has just them on the TV down the country. Saorview, Virgin and Sky don't exist. They live in a time warp, even if they pretend to live in the 21st century. I mean there is zero justification for the sheer volume of imported programming. They can do excellent series, or commission quality programming. And the presenter salaries would not really be justified if the population had an extra zero, for this country it's insane. A TV presenter doesn't earn, I mean deserve, the salary of a CEO or President, both of whom would often be paid less.

RTÉ: yeah, let’s pay loads to show Eastenders at the same time the BBC show it, but with a commercial break in the middle...

RTÉ: yeah, let’s pay loads to show Eastenders at the same time the BBC show it, but with a commercial break in the middle...

Shhh, there's a few people in the bogs that can only get Irish stations so money well spent

Also plenty of people watch it by accident on the wrong channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

fritzelly wrote: »
    A satellite dish requires a licence

It doesn't. You cannot view tv with just a satellite dish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Discodog wrote: »
    What do you call the little box at the end of a satellite dish ?

A council house :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

fritzelly wrote: »
    A satellite dish requires a licence

Yes but if there is a satellite dish on the house the inspectors will consider it evidence of having a telly and send you a letter stating such and you'll have to prove otherwise, went through it with them before in rented house with an old dish on it. Happily showed the lad my IP monitor hooked up to a laptop in the sitting room and sent him on his way.

And of course the cnuts sent out the same letter again a year later, wrote back and told them I had already proved I had no telly and they weren't going to be allowed in every year, and that any enquiries related to the dish could be sent to my landlord as the dish didn't belong to nor was being used by me. Haven't heard back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It's all self generating, they're celebs if they're on RTÉ, so all they need do is interview each other, which they do already.

I hope an accountant doesn't rob it on him again.

The Gay Byrne retrospective was pretty good as it happens, however in general RTE has nothing except a few decent house restoration shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Taken out of context - if you are using a dish for TV then you need a licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yes but if there is a satellite dish on the house the inspectors will consider it evidence of having a telly and send you a letter stating such and you'll have to prove otherwise, went through it with them before in rented house with an old dish on it. Happily showed the lad my IP monitor hooked up to a laptop in the sitting room and sent him on his way.

And of course the cnuts sent out the same letter again a year later, wrote back and told them I had already proved I had no telly and they weren't going to be allowed in every year, and that any enquiries related to the dish could be sent to my landlord as the dish didn't belong to nor was being used by me. Haven't heard back since.

Consideration is not evidence. You won’t be served with any court papers on the basis of assumption. You have to prove nothing. They have to prove you have a tv, not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Put €10 a month on every electricity bill. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

They should ask George Soros for a few quid. Oh wait! Maybe he is helping already as they sure are following his agenda on current affairs.

An Post says not us Gov we're doing great,it's RTE that's got its figures wrong.

RTE says is there anybody else out there to do this job.

https://m.independent.ie/business/media/an-post-claims-licence-fee-crackdown-would-only-deliver-11m-a-year-for-rte-36993471.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So according to an post the evasion would only cover half of what RTE lost last year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A majority here want services cut??? Presenter pay should be cut, not services. So they want less from RTE for what they pay for.

That is very Irish indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kneemos wrote: »
    Channel four is a table,a few chairs and a giant telly. No doubt they managed to design it all by themselves as well.
    The BBC just has the newsroom in the background.
    Why does RTE need carry on like they're some giant network channel?

And why do RTE feel the need to pay two salaries for the one job?

Is there really a need for two people reading from the same teleprompter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

A majority here want services cut??? Presenter pay should be cut, not services. So they want less from RTE for what they pay for.

That is very Irish indeed.

Errrrrr no, we want our massively overpriced license fee reduced or bloody well removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement