Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The royal wedding who cares.(Maybe Meghan)(Lovers of Royal Wedding thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

We could definitely go with a comedy commentary.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Are there no other threads on AHs about this that you could comment on?

:P

;)

Sh*ite, just saw it. Off down to Specsavers. Just wanted a good auld AH syle row......

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Must say I'm very confused by this turn of events. Are there no weddings happening in Ireland at all that day that they could send the cameras to?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rte-defends-controversial-decision-to-broadcast-prince-harry-and-meghan-markles-wedding-36898687.html
    Must say I'm very confused by this turn of events. Are there no weddings happening in Ireland at all that day that they could send the cameras to?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rte-defends-controversial-decision-to-broadcast-prince-harry-and-meghan-markles-wedding-36898687.html

No. Aoife and Conor’s wedding in Portumna at 1.30 next Saturday featuring all the horrible bits of a modern Irish wedding is strangely of little interest to people compared to a beautiful Hollywood actress marrying a member of one of the most famous families in history in a fabulous church with fabulous guests and horse drawn carriages and a completely over the top display of pageantry pomp and circumstances.
    I have no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭guineapigstar

I'm looking forward to it although I will undoubtedly have tears in my eyes. I wanted to marry Harry.

RobertKK wrote: »
    RTE are going to see if James Hewitt turns up looking for a paternity test.

Does James Hewitt think harry is his father?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

They don't care what her genetic background is.

Even Catholics are allowed to marry into the family these days.

That's a huge step for prod Britain. Accepting members of the One True Faith.

The Church founded in Rome by St Peter under the instruction of The Lord Jesus Christ.

Peter Phillips’ (Princess Anne’s son) fiancee Autumn Kelly had to convert from Catholicism to COE ahead of their 2008 marriage in order that Peter wouldn’t lose his place in the line of succession.....not exactly progressive is it??(
    having said that,having designs on his grandmother’s role is a tad optimistic in his case given how far down the pecking order he is...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So lads .... James Hewitt .... he is his Dad isn't he ?

F*cking spit of him, especially as he gets older ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was there this much fuss about Prince Andrew and Fergie? Similar royal 'rank' ...

Yes, there was. More hyped than this even. At least in UK anyway. Not sure about here as I was in England at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

splinter65 wrote: »
    Does James Hewitt think harry is his father?

Maybe I should have phrased it better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Peter Phillips’ (Princess Anne’s son) fiancee Autumn Kelly had to convert from Catholicism to COE ahead of their 2008 marriage in order that Peter wouldn’t lose his place in the line of succession.....not exactly progressive is it??(
    having said that,having designs on his grandmother’s role is a tad optimistic in his case given how far down the pecking order he is...:D

The rules were changed with the 2013 Succession to the Crown Act, which also stipulates that a younger brother can no longer outrank his older sister in the order of succession. Now marrying a Catholic won't you make you lose your place or prevent you from becoming monarch. However, if you convert to Catholicism you cannot be monarch as the monarch is also symbolically head of the Church of England.

• Advertisement

sunbeam wrote: »
    The rules were changed with the 2013 Succession to the Crown Act, which also stipulates that a younger brother can no longer outrank older sister in the order of succession. Now marrying a Catholic won't you make you lose your place or prevent you from becoming monarch. However, if you convert to Catholicism you cannot be monarch as the monarch is also symbolically head of the Church of England.

Didn’t know that...thanks for that update....so the monarch’s spouse can now be a Catholic ?

Yes they can. I don't think Meghan was a Catholic but there was no need for her to convert at all.

No. Aoife and Conor’s wedding in Portumna at 1.30 next Saturday featuring all the horrible bits of a modern Irish wedding is strangely of little interest to people compared to a beautiful Hollywood actress marrying a member of one of the most famous families in history in a fabulous church with fabulous guests and horse drawn carriages and a completely over the top display of pageantry pomp and circumstances.
    I have no idea why.

Just Irish weddings? I'm sure most weddings in whatever country are a little less lavish than the 'Royal' shenanigans next weekend.

Just Irish weddings? I'm sure most weddings in whatever country are a little less lavish than the 'Royal' shenanigans next weekend.

The poster I was replying to wondered if there were no Irish weddings that day that we could watch on the Telly for 6 hours.

The poster I was replying to wondered if there were no Irish weddings that day that we could watch on the Telly for 6 hours.

That was me. :)

Jesus, watching ANY wedding for 6 hours on d telly would be as boring as f**k no?

Yes they can. I don't think Meghan was a Catholic but there was no need for her to convert at all.

Think she had to be baptized into the church of England, just so, I suppose to decrease the complexity of the whole thing for the ceremony (or some such)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Mutant z wrote: »
    I have seen lots of ads about the upcoming royal wedding of Harry and Meghan and i really couldn't care less i dont know why so many Irish people have such a fascination with the British royal family. People get married all the time i dont see this one as being any different just because it happens to involves royals who cares they are just people like everyone else at the end of the day but all i hear is never ending fawning over it. I didnt watch William and Kates wedding and i sure as hell wont be watching this one either because i have far better things to be doing.

What?

That was me. :)

Jesus, watching ANY wedding for 6 hours on d telly would be as boring as f**k no?

There's eight and a half hours of the last Swedish one up on Youtube if anyone feels like they are up to the challenge...

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Think she had to be baptized into the church of England, just so, I suppose to decrease the complexity of the whole thing for the ceremony (or some such)

Yeah, I suppose it just makes things more convenient. Similarly, I think you have to be Lutheran to be the monarch in Sweden, but there's no bar on marrying other religions. When Chris O'Neill (catholic) married Princess Madeleine in 2013 he wasn't required to convert. They even had half the ceremony in English for him as he didn't speak Swedish. Their kids are all baptised into the Church of Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think the two brothers each got the right wife for their position and a swap wouldn't work as well. Kate is an out and out lady which is just as well because as the future King's wife and future king's mother she has to behave as becoming to the role. Observing decorum at all times in dress and manner. Meghan is way down the pecking order, never going to get near the throne, so much more free to express herself style wise which probably suits her celebrity personality and life experience. She will get away with being a bit more racy. All the same her mini skirt, lots of flesh on show days are over.

Actually when William becomes King, does Kate become queen or just king's wife ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Couldn't give a rats ass and sick of hearing about it dont understand why anyone gives a s**t

Kate will be Queen Catherine-a queen consort just like the Queen Mother was. When Charles becomes King William will most likely be bumped up to Princes of Wales and Kate will become the HRH Catherine, The Princess of Wales.

When Charles becomes King there is also the possibility that Camilla will become Queen Consort, although they have in the past maintained that she would be Princess Consort. She is now technically the Princess of Wales, but has never been styled as such for PR reasons-Diana fans would never have accepted it.

If Kate does get bumped up to Princess of Wales, the title of Duchess of Cornwall will also technically be hers, so they will have to find another one for Camilla. If she isn't made Queen Charles could always just issues letters patent and make her a Princess of The United Kingdom like the Queen did with Prince Philip.

Philip was never made King as traditionally a King was seen to outrank a Queen and there have been very few King Consorts. In Denmark, Prince Henrik, who was in a similar position to Philip, always argued that he should have been made King. Last year he announced that as he had not, he did not wish to be buried with the Queen. The palace attempted to explain this away by announcing he was suffering from dementia, but when he died earlier this year, they honoured his wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Kate will be Queen Catherine-a queen consort just like the Queen Mother was. When Charles becomes King William will most likely be bumped up to Princes of Wales and Kate will become the HRH Catherine, The Princess of Wales.

When Charles becomes King there is also the possibility that Camilla will become Queen Consort, although they have in the past maintained that she would be Princess Consort. She is now technically the Princess of Wales, but has never been styled as such for PR reasons-Diana fans would never have accepted it.

If Kate does get bumped up to Princess of Wales, the title of Duchess of Cornwall will also technically be hers, so they will have to find another one for Camilla. If she isn't made Queen Charles could always just issues letters patent and make her a Princess of The United Kingdom like the Queen did with Prince Philip.

Philip was never made King as traditionally a King was seen to outrank a Queen and there have been very few King Consorts. In Denmark, Prince Henrik, who was in a similar position to Philip, always argued that he should have been made King. Last year he announced that as he had not, he did not wish to be buried with the Queen. The palace attempted to explain this away by announcing he was suffering from dementia, but when he died earlier this year, they honoured his wishes.

Wow, I'm dumbfounded by your knowledge about royal stuff. :eek:
    Really, I am. I didn't even get that much knowledge by reading the glossies at the hairdesser's!
    I love history, but the protocol of royalty is just that for me, history. I pity all the people that are imprisoned by all that stuff.

And no, I don't care much about that wedding, but you can't avoid it at all, reading the papers or news websites. Won't watch it, it's a Saturday and I have a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Would you mind explaining the heir order please Sunbeam?
    Why is it Charles Wills George Charlotte Louis Harry?

Would it not go..Charles then his three siblings then Wills Harry then siblings children then the grandchildren?

I just get confused about how Wills 3 children get consecutive placing.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Would it not go..Charles then his three siblings then Wills Harry then siblings children then the grandchildren?

It moves onto the next generation unless the dead/abdicated monarch is childless in which case the brother/sister takes over.

For example, if Edward the 8th had a child, it would have become monarch when he abdicated.

As he was childless, his brother became king.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It goes to the eldest heir initally, so that was Charles, then to his eldest, then the next eldest of his sons. So prior to the spogs it was:

Charles, Andrew Edward and Anne. (Anne was last as princes superseded princesses)

Then with the kids, it was Charles, Wills, Harry, Andrew, Edward...

When the grandkids arrived it pushed out the line a bit more - Charles's direct heir is William so in turn Williams direct heir was his kids in order of birth as shortly before the second one - a girl- was born the queen changed the act of succession that bumped a boy up the line over his sister. If Queenie didnt do this the line would be Charles, Wills, George, Louis and Charlotte, but now it's Charles, Wills, George, Charlotte & Louis.

After the three kids it's Harry next and the third kid just born has pushed Andrew and Edward totally out of the running to the point that Andrew no longer needs the queens permission to marry.

It's interesting that Queen wasn't even reared for the role - she was just a niece of the king at the time, but he wanted to marry a twice divorced American socialite and didn't want the responsibility of being King. So abdicated and the role landed to his brother Bertie who was never considered king material but turned out to be a pretty well loved one by the end. So had David not had his head turned by Wallis back in the day, people would be struggling to remember these one's names.

As far I recall when Edward VIII abdicated, he gave up the right of any of his descendents to rise to the throne. I'm not 100 percent certain about this, but have heard speculation that if Charles decided to pass on being King, that might wipe the rest of his line out and the throne would go to Andrew. In practice, I'm sure they would find some way to give it to William, probably involving an act of parliament, especially if Charles had been King for a while and decided to 'retire'.

When Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands retired/abdicated in 2013 the throne went to her son and she went back to being Princess Beatrix. When King Juan Carlos of Spain retired/abdicated in favour of his son in 2014 he retained the courtesy title of King.

I can't see Charles retiring though-he has waited far too long for the throne and is now the oldest Prince of Wales in history.

Even if Wallis had become Queen the throne would have gone to Elizabeth anyway as she and Edward had no children.

One of the biggest shakeups in the line to the throne came with the death of 21 year old Princess Charlotte of Wales in childbirth in 1817. She was second in line to the throne after her father and though her uncles had plenty of 'illegitimate' offspring there was no other legitimate heir to the crown after her. Her death prompted a race among her uncles to create one and this ultimately led to the birth of her cousin who became Queen Victoria.

Charlotte's tragic death changed the way that labour was managed by the medical profession, which began to take a far more interventionist approach in its management following the tragedy. She was hugely popular with the public and the outpouring of public grief following her death has been likened to that which followed the death of Princess Diana.

Charlotte was considered an unlucky name with the royal family because of her death and that of Princess Charlotte of Clarence who only lived a day after birth in 1819. Hence it has taken almost 200 years for it to be used again as a first name for a British princess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

As far I recall when Edward VIII abdicated, he gave up the right of any of his descendents to rise to the throne. I'm not 100 percent certain about this, but have heard speculation that if Charles decided to pass on being King, that might wipe the rest of his line out and the throne would go to Andrew. In practice, I'm sure they would find some way to give it to William, probably involving more letters patent and/or an act of parliament, especially if Charles had been King for a while and decided to 'retire'.

When Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands retired/abdicated in 2013 the throne went to her son and she went back to being Princess Beatrix. When King Juan Carlos of Spain retired/abdicated in favour of his son in 2014 he retained the courtesy title of King.

I can't see Charles retiring though-he has waited far too long for the throne and is now the oldest Prince of Wales in history.

If Charles steps aside it will still pass to William. Once a child is born the line continues onto the next generation.

For example, if Prince George dies young, Charlotte will become Queen unless George had a child before his death.

A British king or queen "retiring" will never happen in our lifetime. Its just not British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Morto for her old man.............

He's been caught colluding with the paps to fix the two recent pic scoops of him this past week or so. One set of photos was where he'd been photographed getting measured up for a weeding suit and the other was where he had apparently been looking at pics of the happy couple on a PC in an Internet Cafe.

If he does still end up coming to the wedding, they'd want to be sure and check his dickie bow for the latest GoPro.

Advertisement