Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety due to Referendum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

kylith wrote: »
    I don't condone damaging any posters, but I can totally understand why someone would slash one of the ones by ICBR, they are an awful bunch.

Usually I wouldn't either but this lot aren't Irish, they are only here to cause trouble and they've upset a lot of pregnant women with their carry on outside maternity hospitals. They say in the article they wear bodycams for their personal safety (which is besides the point as she attacked the poster and not an individual) so they clearly know what they are doing is disgusting and upsetting. You know you're on to a loser when John McGuirk disavows you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I saw a protestor in holles street wandering around with badges and stickers on her. IN the actual hospital and I don’t believe she was visiting anyone, she was loitering at the stairs.

Today the No camp called to my house as I’m packing my hospital bag funnily enough. Said they had leaflets and I said no thanks I’m voting yes. She points at my stomach and said well I hope that baby is safe. Shouted about abortion killing babies as I shut the door. I am appalled.

Again, love both?!? Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

lazygal wrote: »
    I was signed off work due to pregnancy complications a month ago.
    We had possible trisomy abnormality detected at 13 weeks, then a wait for amniocentesis and a wait for results. I've been in and out of Holles St for scans and tests and the posters and horrible "save the eighth" canvassers have only added to the stress. I'll never forgive people who vote no because like it or not they're supporting these people and their attitude.

They're attempting to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

Beanybabog wrote: »
    . She points at my stomach and said well I hope that baby is safe. Shouted about abortion killing babies as I shut the door. I am appalled.

Again, love both?!? Bull

Wow. I’m horrified. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ally Dick wrote: »
    They're attempting to save lives.

No they aren't, or they'd have spent the last quarter century trying to get the 13th removed. Oddly enough once it passed, they didn't care any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Could this thread please be closed?

As usual only one opinion is tolerated and for those of us who are pregnant and distressed by abortion even having this conversation in the pregnancy forum is upsetting.

I know it was not the OP's intention to start a debate but the usual suspects can't seem to help themselves.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I saw a protestor in holles street wandering around with badges and stickers on her. IN the actual hospital and I don’t believe she was visiting anyone, she was loitering at the stairs.

Today the No camp called to my house as I’m packing my hospital bag funnily enough. Said they had leaflets and I said no thanks I’m voting yes. She points at my stomach and said well I hope that baby is safe. Shouted about abortion killing babies as I shut the door. I am appalled.

Again, love both?!? Bull

That's horrific, I'm so sorry you had to endure that treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Could this thread please be closed?

As usual only one opinion is tolerated and for those of us who are pregnant and distressed by abortion even having this conversation in the pregnancy forum is upsetting.

I know it was not the OP's intention to start a debate but the usual suspects can't seem to help themselves.

I agree. Every time I see this thread in the forum, my stomach flips.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You do know the 8th has ramifications in continued pregnancy and is more than just abortion, right? It's very relevant here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Anne1982h

I am so glad to read this post and know I am not alone. I am not pregnant but trying and have been told that I may have a complicated pregnancy due to existing issues. I feel like I am going crazy over this referendum. Crying reading all the awful stories, having screaming matches with family members who are voting no and being completely irrational. Worried and confused about what might happen if i do get pregnant. I just feel there is no compassion for real living breathing women and it scares me. I am so stressed over this that I feel I have no chance of conceiving at the minute. Cannot wait for it all to be over. Also had aggressive no campaigners to the house and feel like they shouldn’t be allowed invade your personal home space when i cant get away from it outside the home. I have put The leaflet the yes side gave me in the window in the hopes others will just go away. Stopped going on Facebook and stopped watching the news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m super frustrated about it all. I have zero issue with no voters wanting to keep abortion restricted. However that is a legislation issue.

In order for us to have proper medical care, for FFA to be appropriately and compassionately dealt with the 8th amendment has to be removed first

A no vote means no change at all, even though lots seem to be happy for change in some circumstances.

The posters, the lies, the statistics, the stories, the endless articles have my anxiety so high waiting for my anatomy scan. Two families a week getting bad news is just awful. I just can’t even imagine being told I have to go to england if god forbid something is wrong

As a distraction I’ve found a great series of books and I’m engrossing myself in them and trying to steer clear of the news and the abortion threads here (not always successfully). Roll on next week

Personally this thread has given me a lot of comfort to know I'm not alone in how I feel at the moment. I have no other pregnant friends in my circle that I can talk to about what it's like to be the target of so much of this, to know on some level I'm essentially a hostage in my own body is bad enough but to be constantly reminded of it. I almost cried talking to someone I barely know in work about how upsetting it all has been (so embarrassing.. I blamed it on hormones). So thanks ladies, at least I feel like I'm not insane.

You do know the 8th has ramifications in continued pregnancy and is more than just abortion, right? It's very relevant here.

If that's directed at me, then yes, I know exactly what this is about, but thanks for being unbelievably patronising.

This topic could be discussed anywhere - and in fact is being discussed all over this site - and it would be great to have literally ONE place where the contentious nature of the subject could be avoided when we are being bombarded night and day with this topic.

Just to add, there are thankfully ways to ignore posters but it is not possible afaik to ignore threads.

If anyone knows how to block a thread from view I'd appreciate learning how.

If that's directed at me, then yes, I know exactly what this is about, but thanks for being unbelievably patronising.

This topic could be discussed anywhere - and in fact is being discussed all over this site - and it would be great to have literally ONE place where the contentious nature of the subject could be avoided when we are being bombarded night and day with this topic.

I find it odd that you think the one place it shouldn’t be discussed is on the forum where it affects the most people... after spending a lot of my day in work yesterday crying in the toilets over my own upset to do with pregnancy and the referendum I have found it so reassuring to know others feel the same (rather than it just being me going insane)

Anne1982h wrote: »
    I find it odd that you think the one place it shouldn’t be discussed is on the forum where it affects the most people... after spending a lot of my day in work yesterday crying in the toilets over my own upset to do with pregnancy and the referendum I have found it so reassuring to know others feel the same (rather than it just being me going insane)

Do you find it odd? Really? Because the title of the thread is about anxiety surrounding the referendum. The OP didn't want to start an abortion debate. And yet it has started. I relate to the anxiety, very strongly.

This thread is every bit as anxiety-inducing for some of us (who mostly remain silent if we're not part of the current dogmatic hegemony on the subject because of the inevitable lynching and unrelenting questioning that follows) who would really rather have one space where it's just not discussed.

Anne1982h wrote: »

I'm not sure what hospital you are with but because I have a history of depression and was on the cusp of PND last time round, the Rotunda told me they have midwives that deal specifically with anxiety/depression in pregnancy but I'm sure all hospitals do. If it's getting to be too much make sure you talk to your doctor about it to see what supports they can give you, I've certainly considered reaching out to them in the last few weeks.

Edit: sorry I just saw you said you aren't pregnant in your other post but still talk to your doctor if it's too much!

Do you find it odd? Really? Because the title of the thread is about anxiety surrounding the referendum. The OP didn't want to start an abortion debate. And yet it has started. I relate to the anxiety, very strongly.

This thread is every bit as anxiety-inducing for some of us (who mostly remain silent if we're not part of the current dogmatic hegemony on the subject because of the inevitable lynching and unrelenting questioning that follows) who would really rather have one space where it's just not discussed.

Where has an abortion debate started in this thread? Most people have said they share the anxiety and given how they are trying to stay away from it - myself by stopping watching news and news related shows and staying off Facebook. Someone else by reading books. It is inevitable the no side will be mentioned as they are the ones putting up the graphic posters that are contributing to anxiety... saying you’re upset by posters and imagery is not starting a debate.

[snipped]

I'm away for most of next week at a conference and I'm very much looking forward to being in another country for what will probably be the most intense part. Bring on the dull seminars!

Advertisement