Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety due to Referendum

Options
  • 02-05-2018 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Not looking to open a debate into the way people are going to vote but I’m just wondering if anyone else is struggling like I am with the constant reminders that I’m still early on in pregnancy (16 weeks now).

Fatal fetal abnormality was something I successfully shut away in my head on my first but I cannot get away from it now and my anxiety is rising waiting for the anatomy scan in June.

I’m in the Coombe next week and honestly I’m going end up bawling my eyes out if I have to walk past anything like the posters that were up today. The memories of miscarriage in the Coombe are still far too raw.

The next three weeks are going to be long

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

We need buffer zones here, right now round hospitals and medical centres / GPs

Email TDs or anyone useful

mentioned in post below ( from elsewhere here )

what are people,s thoughts on the issue of buffer zones ? as of recently buffer zones are set to be introduced in Britain.

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21740441-culture-wars-arrive-london-britains-first-buffer-zone-against-protests-outside-abortion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

gctest50 wrote: »
    We need buffer zones here, right now

That’s actually a brilliant idea. The bloody posters and campaigners are driving me crackers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was signed off work due to pregnancy complications a month ago.
    We had possible trisomy abnormality detected at 13 weeks, then a wait for amniocentesis and a wait for results. I've been in and out of Holles St for scans and tests and the posters and horrible "save the eighth" canvassers have only added to the stress. I'll never forgive people who vote no because like it or not they're supporting these people and their attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I walked passed the Rotunda this week and there were Save the 8th canvassers standing outside with massive fetus posters flanking either side of the entrance way to the hospital. Really felt for any pregnant folks having to go passed them, last thing you need at a time like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I was just thinking the other day how difficult it would be to be pregnant right now, while the referendum is going on, and while all those vile no posters are pushing their false agendas in and around maternity hospitals.

Ladies you have my sympathies for your additional stress. \being pregnant and trying not to worry is hard enough!

• Advertisement

The only thing that will change is a woman will (hopefully) have a right to choose whether to continue with an unviable pregnancy or seek to end the pregnancy SHOULD she so choose. I didn’t have that option 27 years ago.

OP, try and enjoy your pregnancy. Life will never be the same again. I lost my baby naturally and went on to have another. I suffered more during that 9 months! When he was delivered, I couldn’t look at him. Would he be ok? Would I love him? Would I ever get over the one I lost? Yes, yes and yes are the answers.

Those posters are someone else’s opinion. Not yours.

Good Luck.

gctest50 wrote: »
    We need buffer zones here, right now

That’s actually a brilliant idea. The bloody posters and campaigners are driving me crackers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Disgraceful carry on at the maternity hospitals. They know full well there are women miscarrying and getting bad test results every day.
    Love both my hole- they haven’t even a scrap of respect for these women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Mirrorwall14 I'm really struggling with it too. We reach all the little milestones and breath a momentary sigh of relief but hearing stories of people getting devastating news at 20 and 30 weeks is just so hard not to worry about. Of course I fully support and empathise with those couples sharing their heartache but it is grinding on the mental health. I've just had to scroll past stuff on Facebook in the last few days.

I met a friend today who should have been due the day before me but she suffered a miscarriage at 12weeks after ivf so it's given me some perspective to just enjoy and appreciate where I'm at. Worrying won't change anything.

I know you know all that yourself especially after your own experience but they're just my little coping tools right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

o1s1n wrote: »
    I walked passed the Rotunda this week and there were Save the 8th canvassers standing outside with massive fetus posters flanking either side of the entrance way to the hospital. Really felt for any pregnant folks having to go passed them, last thing you need at a time like that :(

That's horrible.
    I was rushed to a maternity hospital a few years ago due to the late miscarrage of a very much wanted baby.Last thing I'd of wanted to see on my out would have been a fetus poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think it is simply bizarre that the some No campaigners are putting these posters up outside hospitals. I don't understand the rationale when clearly the target audience is heading for the airport instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I really don't get it either.What do they hope to achieve?The women at maternity hospitals are not exactly the "target audience".They were not at the Rotunda yesterday morning thankfully, i wasn't sure I could be responsible for my actions if they were.And with all due respect to them, while I struggle with so-called abortion "on demand", I have been through the pregnancies, the early scans, the looking for a heartbeat, the meeting of milestone weeks etc, the relief at good news......and my mind is fairly made up on how I will vote, for those people who need the choices that I was lucky enough not to need.No amount of posters are going to stand up against repeated experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

It’s the FFA stories, usually reported by the Vote Yes campaign, which I’m finding difficult. The posters are nothing I haven’t seen before so they don’t affect me so much. But the stories of women who were just as happy as I am to be pregnant, who thought everything was going fine, and who then got devastating news... it’s making me worry more and more than I’m going to get bad news at some stage to come. On my last pregnancy, I didn’t really worry much about this stuff. But the constant reminders of what can go wrong at any stage of pregnancy are what’s making me stressed.

Have my anatomy scan on the 29th and I will be very glad to have that behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭fits

I can only imagine what it’s like for pregnant women. I was so anxious when I was pregnant without this in the mix. I think it was around the time the twins were discovered that I realised worrying won’t change a thing. Whatever’s coming at you will come at you whether you worry about it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’m on my third pregnancy. On my first my friend who was pregnant at the same time was diagnosed with a FFA so I’ve never been oblivious to the possibilities and have worried a lot with my first two. Strangely this time I’m more relaxed but I think that comes with the experience of worrying getting me nowhere, like Fits has said.

While these stories are uncomfortable to hear they have got to be heard. However hard it is for us to listen it’s infinitely harder for the couples experiencing them. I’m not necessarily anymore worried about an FFA than I would be were the referendum not happening but I have way more knowledge about the lack of support and lack of choice women in this country are faced with if the worst is realised for them in pregnancy so yes that part is playing on my mind a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Parkviewbaby

I'm currently 6 month pregnant,I feel so lucky but have anxiety everyday. I wont be able to relax until I hold my baby. I find those posters so upsetting. I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks last year and spent some very dark times in the Rotunda. I thought I would never be able to get over it. If them posters had been outside the hospital as that time I think they would have pushed me over the edge.

No side should be ashamed of these tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I'm finding it really tough hearing all the worse case scenarios so often. I wasn't too worried about the anomaly scan and now I feel like I'm counting down the days. Those posters outside the hospitals were horrible. I can only imagine how cruel it would be to anyone getting bad news that day.

The referendum feels so close to home now that I'm pregnant myself. I feel like I'm going to take it very personally if it's a no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

I told my mother the other day that if I go into the Rotunda for my next appt and those posters are there, I'd find it very difficult not to turn around, go to the nearest hardware shop, buy a blade and put a big tear down the middle of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

o1s1n wrote: »

Disgusting carry on, really are low low people ... anyway sorry not the place.

OP just look after yourself and stay away from anything that might upset you.

It's very likely the baby is fine, so don't worry ! stay healthy so baby stays healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP I feel the same. You are not alone in your thoughts. I am 23 weeks pregnant and I have had a lot of anxiety and tears over it. It is not the nicest time to be pregnant.

The buffer idea is great, I'll email my TDs now about it as I have an apt in CUMH next week and will freak if those posters are there.

It is highly insensitive to pregnant people, not everyone goes in for a happy birth or scan.

I feel this needs to be highlighted by the media a bit more.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. It helps to at least know others are feeling a bit like me. I guess I’m frustrated that I’m wishing this month away and it’s the first time I’ve started to feel a little human this pregnancy. And I had relaxed after the 12 weeks scan until the airwaves got flooded with the referendum. I tell myself there’s nothing I can do but it doesn’t stop the thinking unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭pengaffe

I felt the exact same way! the whole referendum has me panicking the whole time! Not just the no campaign but reading other people's stories about having to end their pregnancies fro various reasons. It's a tough time to be pregnant but try to block it all out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

The goal of standing outside a maternity hospital is to evoke emotional responses from pregnant women and get them to convince family / friends to vote no. Who better to target than women who are having much wanted babies to do thier dirty work. As a side effect they also get lots of attention in the media and online for acts like this.

It's yet another low moment from a side determined to force people to give birth no matter the situation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

But it's a really stupid thought process in it's own way, because you would think they would realise that the very people who are the MOST aware of the need for choice are those currently going in and out of maternity hospitals.Obviously not all of them, but I would imagine quite a few of them.So really, it achieves nothing.
    I know it's basically a sensationalist stunt at the end of the day but it strikes me as being kind of.....stupid.(obviously alongside the other stuff such as insensitive etc, but they don't care about that).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My worry about FFA is that if the referendum doesn't pass and something is wrong then I'll have to find the means to go to the UK.

I'll be very glad after my scan in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

I am absolutely disgusted by what some on the No side are doing, from handing out inaccurate and outrageously inapprpriate foetus dolls to small children in town, to those disgusting and inaccurate posters. I respect their opinion but not their tactics, and I hope it has pushed more people to the Yes side.

I have said this on the October forum but the Panorama/Harmony NIPT test was the best peace of mind I could have gotten at that early terrified stage. I am still worried as the anatomy scan approaches but we have ruled out genetic FFA and that is one less thing to worry about.

Everyone please remember that the odds are very much with you to have a healthy baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Ugh, getting ready to leave holles St, my husband dropping bags to car and apparently those no posters are outside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

I swear this was not me, but kudos to her. If there's a go fund me for her legal fees I'll contribute https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/woman-arrested-after-allegedly-damaging-abortion-posters-in-dublin-36897141.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

firebird84 wrote: »
    I swear this was not me, but kudos to her. If there's a go fund me for her legal fees I'll contribute https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/woman-arrested-after-allegedly-damaging-abortion-posters-in-dublin-36897141.html

I don't condone damaging any posters, but I can totally understand why someone would slash one of the ones by ICBR, they are an awful bunch.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I don't condone damaging any posters, but I can totally understand why someone would slash one of the ones by ICBR, they are an awful bunch.

The best way to deal with them is to ignore them and their sad ideals. Their actions are beneath contempt and are causing their cause more harm than good. Leave them wallow in their own sanctimonious hatred.

Advertisement