Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time at a footmall match

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

This is great, I wish more people would go to LOI games. What kind of crowds do Sligo get? I go to Bohs games and it's a great atmosphere and everyone is so friendly. It has a lovely vibe, the bars are great in the stadium too.
    Wouldn't it be nice if people went to the games instead of being obsessed with the English game? I can tell you that you'll see far better football played in the LOI than you will watching Ireland play. I can't think of a worse team to watch that I've ever seen, than the current Ireland team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

You'll have to take care and avoid the ultras

Ultras =/= Hooligans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

What a dotey OP.
    Enjoy lads.

Brought my young fella to his first rugby international in Dublin (v Canada), up from Cork Boi.

Brought back so many memories of my now long dead old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Pedro K wrote: »
    Ultras =/= Hooligans.

Not in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Turtyturd wrote: »
    League of Ireland....great way to turn him off football for life.

Been to many loi games?

Ive started going this year because the English premiership is a pain in the hole. I used to watch most of the games but haven't watched a neutral game in a while.
    100 times more enjoyable than watching it on tv or popping over for a game or 2 every year or 2.

15 quid in as well. Great atmosphere as long as you aren't sitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

1-0 to Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Is this a Soccer Match or a Football Match O.P?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Sligo now 2-0 up so at least they've got a few goals......nothing worse than your first match being a 0-0!

Used to go to the now defunct Kilkenny City home games, with about 20 other home fans usually. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Annd9

dan1895 wrote: »
    Not in this country.

It's actually become common im more countries . The younger ones nowadays seem to be the "Ultras" making coreography's, waving flags and singing, while the older ones or "Hooligans " stand looking nasty .

Thankfully , (despite what you hear in the media sometimes)we do not have a big problem with hooligans. I really like some of the stuff the Ultras do aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

After years of armchair watching, two older mates brought me a long to a pre season friendly between the local club and a premier league team. Thought it was shít because I couldn't follow the play without commentary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Patww79 wrote: »
    Bray are as close as it gets to a guaranteed win, so it's a good one to start with.
    BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Sligo now 2-0 up .

That escalated quickly

Is this a Soccer Match or a Football Match O.P?

Footmall apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Update.
    1. It's cold.
    2. Note to self, don't stand up in front of people.
    3. Curry and chips 4.95 each. But we ate it anyway.
    4. Young lad having a ball
    5. Speaking of balls, one of the players hoofed the ball up on the roof and we ran out back to see if we could catch it rolling down, but we were 30 seconds late.!!
    6. Bray have very few, yet quite enthusiast supporters, complete with drummer and " crowd egger-onner
    7. I'm quite enjoying this!
    8. The half time announcements are hilarious
    9. It's giving me an opportunity to try out my 28-600mm f2.8 zoom lens ðŸ˜ðŸ˜.
    10. I shouldn't have bought the young fella the Curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

2-1 now

2-1. Grandstand finish in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

greenpilot wrote: »
    Update.
    1. It's cold.
    5. Speaking of balls, one of the players hoofed the ball up on the roof and we ran out back to see if we could catch it rolling down, but we were 30 seconds late.!!
    6. Bray have very few, yet quite enthusiast supporters, complete with drummer and " crowd egger-onner
    9. It's giving me an opportunity to try out my 28-600mm f2.8 zoom lens ðŸ˜ðŸ˜.

I've been reading a great book recently with lots of information about how to be a football fan.

Try this;

When a player makes a solo run, point at him and shout....

GO ON..........MY SON!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Update two.

When Bray scored, I actually didn't even notice as I was looking elsewhere The crowd were deathly silent. Which was quite funny. Well, apart from the 11 or so Bray fellas way over on the other side. He he he.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Turtyturd wrote: »
    League of Ireland....great way to turn him off football for life.

That's ridiculous. OP yerself and the youngfella enjoy the match. Before you know it you'll be down every second Friday evening during the winter screaming all sorts of obscenities and having a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hope you enjoyed the game OP and drop by the Showgrounds again!
    That's ridiculous. OP yerself and the youngfella enjoy the match. Before you know it you'll be down every second Friday evening during the winter screaming all sorts of obscenities and having a ball.

He'll be arrested for acting like a gomey in public then seeing as the LOI doesn't play over the winter and our games are on Saturday nights. :pac:

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed the game OP and drop by the Showgrounds again!

He'll be arrested for acting like a gomey in public then seeing as the LOI doesn't play over the winter and our games are on Saturday nights. :pac:

Starts proper in February. Our home games are generally on Friday evening. Our next game however, is on Saturday. Against sligo away....

Starts proper in February. Our home games are generally on Friday evening. Our next game however, is on Saturday. Against sligo away....

First bohs game I went to was bohs and rovers first game of the season, up with the bohs ultras.

I'd be in Sligo if I didn't have to go home

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

First bohs game I went to was bohs and rovers first game of the season, up with the bohs ultras.

I'd be in Sligo if I didn't have to go home

Are the NBB still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

greenpilot wrote: »
    Update.
    1. It's cold.
    9. It's giving me an opportunity to try out my 28-600mm f2.8 zoom lens Ÿ˜.

The most important part, I hope ye make it a regular thing.

Excuse my French but fúck all the football snobs with their snidey remarks about LOI football, it's great to support your local team, fair play!

Nothing worse than a snobby Premier League fanboy looking down their noses at people who support so called 'lesser' clubs. Nothing but cúnts imo (and we've seen 1 or 2 in this thread already)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Are the NBB still around?

Still displays at Bohs games so assuming so.

kfallon wrote: »
    The most important part, I hope ye make it a regular thing.

Excuse my French but fúck all the football snobs with their snidey remarks about LOI football, it's great to support your local team, fair play!

Nothing worse than a snobby Premier League fanboy looking down their noses at people who support so called 'lesser' clubs. Nothing but cúnts imo (and we've seen 1 or 2 in this thread already)

It's usually premier league fans and it's a bit mad.

But to be fair, I was the same. Mad thing is, you can support both. You can go have a great time on Friday night watching no frills football and watch souness froth at the mouth because pogba got a haircut on the Saturday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Still displays at Bohs games so assuming so.

Good to hear, they used to have some great displays, without going all 'teen-ultra'

e.g., against Cork

tumblr_inline_nviafgdDp51riyr75_500.jpg

Good to hear, they used to have some great displays, without going all 'teen-ultra'

e.g., against Cork

tumblr_inline_nviafgdDp51riyr75_500.jpg

And the chants... Our main one for Pats is absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fair play to ye op.glad ye had a good time.try a night at the dogs next for the craic with the young fella. If you are betting hard you will need a good few pound but you can just bet small with the tote and have a bite to eat.its good craic and passes an evening.galway race twice a week I think but maybe there’s racing closer to ye then that

• Advertisement

And the chants... Our main one for Pats is absolute gold.

And jump jump and all the characters of dalymount

Advertisement