Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

So nothing wrong with the FAQ other than you don't like it? Colour me surprised :rolleyes:

Fairly typical of some No campaigners/posters, rather than debate the issues they play the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You joined today and have 13 posts so you don't really have a clue what sort of questions have been consistently asked in these threads on these boards.

Hint: ALL of the questions in the FAQ have been asked numerous times whereas I don't recall anyone saying all animals are bunches of cells (please feel free to prove me wrong)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Care to read through the FAQ and maybe pointbout the parts of it that are untruths? If there is anything untrue in it then we can petition for its removal?

Or are you just unhappy that the FAQ has been put there to stop the 2 or 3 new posters coming into the thread EVERY DAY and asking the same questions over and over to default thread?

Or, in addition to the above, go through the previous abortion threads and construct your own FAQ which you feel would be more equal?

The threads have to close down when they reach 10k posts. So rather than a new thread starting off with similar posts as thread 1 and 2 and having the discussion go round on circles, it is handy to point out what has been dealt with.

OK so how does repeal if successful affect you personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

The polls say repeal will win 70 / 30 and I actually agree with them.

The gay marriage yes vote wasn't near 70% - there's No chance effectively legalising abortion without reason will get near that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Last night there was a debate organised by the local priest and prolife group here in Waterford. The crowd was made up of about 85% pro life, many people didn't turn up because they felt it was an ambush and from the start you knew who was running it. Those who were part of the organising are also helpers at ICBR the same lot that put up the banners on the quay a few days previous. The speakers were Caroline Simons (prolife) and Fiona de Londras (repeal) and the chair was Sarah McDonald a religious affairs journalist. Most of the Repeal side stayed together at the front (safety in numbers) and 3 times Caroline Simons directly mentioned them. She actually said at one stage that we were well coordinated and texting each other. Many of those there were part or groups and said that they were on twitter of facebook doing a running commentary. 2 prolife people asking questions used the words killers and murders one of them got told off twice and threatened to be removed because they kept interrupting. They wheeled out 3 medical professionals one went off an on long statement and got away with it before he was finally asked did he have a question. He said he didn't want to be an abortionist, which is worrying coming from a medical person because they would probably be putting their own beliefs before the patients health. There was a lot misinformation spread about the bill last night by the prolife side and they were bloody rude.

Well I’m patiently waiting for you to post something relevant to repealing the 8th, so far all you’ve done is claim biased moderation

So, do you want to discuss the pros and cons of repealing the 8th or are you just going to stomp your feet and shout biased moderation?

thee glitz wrote: »
    The gay marriage yes vote wasn't near 70% - there's No chance effectively legalising abortion without reason will get near that.

Ah your back any chance of answering my question since I answered yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

So the @ireland handle is being curated this week by someone who is a part of the Good Counsel Network. Look up what's going on in London as a result of their harassing women going to abortion clinics.

https://twitter.com/ireland/status/992140958782377984?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

conorhal wrote: »
    So, should a child?

It’s not a child. It’s a foetus. It will never know.

Would you really force a woman who has been raped to have a continual reminder of her rape, go through all the discomfort of pregnancy, and the pain of childbirth?

• Advertisement

That’s a topic for another thread, why don’t you start a thread on it.

This thread is for discussion on repealing the 8th.

Any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you seem to have confused proof with assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

conorhal wrote: »
    You'd think with the cheeky come on smile she's giving you, yes meant something else.... Vote SF, 'I'll have your abortion!'

It's a conflicting issue and the leader of a party has moved to make clear association with one side...that is not gonna go down to well with those who feel strongly on the other side hardly the best "promotion".

Edit: I notice poster has been banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Ah your back any chance of answering my question since I answered yours?

Back ye, briefly - I'm not on a rota. Please remind me if you're advocating a yes vote because all special circumstance cases, while simultaneously undermining the availability of abortion for same by also calling for it without reason. It's difficult to keep track of everyone's opinions and questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

spookwoman wrote: »
    Last night there was a debate organised by the local priest and prolife group here in Waterford. The crowd was made up of about 85% pro life, many people didn't turn up because they felt it was an ambush and from the start you knew who was running it. Those who were part of the organising are also helpers at ICBR the same lot that put up the banners on the quay a few days previous. The speakers were Caroline Simons (prolife) and Fiona de Londras (repeal) and the chair was Sarah McDonald a religious affairs journalist. Most of the Repeal side stayed together at the front (safety in numbers) and 3 times Caroline Simons directly mentioned them. She actually said at one stage that we were well coordinated and texting each other. Many of those there were part or groups and said that they were on twitter of facebook doing a running commentary. 2 prolife people asking questions used the words killers and murders one of them got told off twice and threatened to be removed because they kept interrupting. They wheeled out 3 medical professionals one went off an on long statement and got away with it before he was finally asked did he have a question. He said he didn't want to be an abortionist, which is worrying coming from a medical person because they would probably be putting their own beliefs before the patients health. There was a lot misinformation spread about the bill last night by the prolife side and they were bloody rude.

But surely that was a clue as to how such a "debate" would be? Not worth the time and effort in attending tbh

well of course it was written by a moderator. who else would do it? All the entries are questions that have been asked repeatedly in the previous 20,000+ posts on the 8th amendment threads. what about that do you find issue with?

Yep definitely familiar as this is the one you decided to answer, so I'll repeat it. How does repeal if successful affect you personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

They're all in the thread... all twenty or so thousand posts... they repeat every few pages so it's really not hard to find if you really wanted to look...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

spookwoman wrote: »
    Last night there was a debate organised by the local priest and prolife group here in Waterford. ........

Any idea how many people were there? And the demographic of same? Just curious

nobody here owes you anything. If you want to debate then debate. If you ask one of the questions in the FAQ you will get referred to the FAQ.

• Advertisement

Why don’t you try discussing the topic instead of repeatedly claiming the moderation is biased?

You haven’t made any points either for or against repealing the 8th which is what this thread is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Whats gay marriage got to do with repealing the 8th amendment? All the polls and I mean all of them, have repeal at around 70, No at around 20 and undecideds the rest. Why wouldn't Repeal win 70 / 30.

What do you think the outcome will be

Back ye, briefly - I'm not on a rota. Please remind me if you're advocating a yes vote because all special circumstance cases, while simultaneously undermining the availability of abortion for same by also calling for it without reason. It's difficult to keep track of everyone's opinions and questions.

Strange might be confusing you with someone else in the earlier thread who said they were data mining/analysing the thread, so thought you'd be able to keep track.

Anyway here you go

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106883970&postcount=820

No, nobody owes you anything. Anybody who has followed the thread from the start has answered all the questions in the FAQ multiple times. Now how about you actually try to debate the topic? Or are you only here to play the victim?

So it won't affect you personally.

So is it just religious belief or something else that leads to your belief that repeal shouldn't be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It is supplied. In this very thread, and the last one, and the last one. People have told you exactly where to find the posts, and yet you couldn't be arsed. How many do you want? 100 examples? 200?

I’m not sure what “this” is, it seems to me that you’re being purposely antagonistic and the only reason I can think why that is, is so that you can go off and complain about how Boards is biased after you’ve been thread banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

broken record

One who continually repeats the same statement with little variation, if any.

Derives directly from the (slightly inaccurate) term involving polyvinyl record albums, where such a "broken" record would repeatedly skip back a moment in what being played. (The term was inaccurate - usually such skippage was caused by debris on the disc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Lads, why are ye responding? O_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Anyways...

The Journal has published a piece looking at why the 12 week on request is being proposed in the proposed post-referendum law. It's a good piece if anyone's unsure about the time frame: http://www.thejournal.ie/12-weeks-abortion-ireland-3988241-May2018/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement