Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1054530190905430017

Not sure how I feel about overclocking my Switch, I wouldn't be confident the cooling would be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Give it a couple weeks to let others test it out... N64 performance really needs a boost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,434 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't think you'll run the risk of overheating it with an N64 emulator seeing as most of the games will be switched off after 5 minutes. :pac:

Daphne up next. To my knowledge, I've never tried Daphne or any of the laserdisc games because years ago, the file sizes were just too big to justify :o Should be interesting anyway...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Inviere have you had a chance to try out Coinops2 forgotten worlds yet?

Definitely recommended for a small build at only 17gb extracted including roms,cabinet art,music etc.

Id recommend it to a user starting out with emulation for the first time.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Inviere have you had a chance to try out Coinops2 forgotten worlds yet?

Definitely recommended for a small build at only 17gb extracted including roms,cabinet art,music etc.

Id recommend it to a user starting out with emulation for the first time.

No I've been too busy still adding systems & configuring my own Launchbox setup. Had a quick look at CoinOps 2 Forgotten Worlds there, looks ideal for someone wanting a compact build, or perhaps starting out. As I mentioned earlier, I personally am not a big fan of those "ready to go" builds because the user is presented with a finished product, not knowing how any of it ties together, how to add new games/systems, and the whole thing is easily borked as a result.

I've a few systems left to add, mostly all less common things that might be a bit more involved to get working.
    • Laserdisc (Daphne SINGE which increases the amount of compatable games over the normal Daphne)
    • Game & Watch
    • Sega Naomi 1 & 2
    • Sega Model 3
    • PC8801
    • PC9801
    • PCFX
    • PC Engine SuperGrafx
    • Amstrad GX4000
    • Colecovision
    • Intellivision
    • Commodore 128
    • Commodore Vic20
    • Amiga CD
    • Atari ST
    • Atari 800
    • NesicaXLive
    • Teknoparrot
    • Fujitsu FM Towns Marty
    • Fujitsu FM-7
    • Magnavox Oddysey 1 & 2
    • Nuon (not sure if this'll work, I have to look into the Nuance emulator a bit more - sad story about the author of Nuance actually)

That'd be pretty much everything I could want then, and at that stage, I'll have no choice but to actually, y'know, play some games! :o

RetroArch has a core for PC Engine Super Grafx, nice & easy. Done. Never really looked into the system, only 6 games for it...seems like it was supposed to be a true 16bit machine, but just became a slightly beefier PCE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yer some man for the tinkering I'll give you that. :)
    Is there any point doing the Atari ST if you already have the Amiga configured though?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yer some man for the tinkering I'll give you that. :)
    Is there any point doing the Atari ST if you already have the Amiga configured though?

Honestly, I’m not sure :o I don’t have much experience with either system, is there much crossover?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there was a lot of games made for both systems but there were also system only exclusives

Atari ST

Amiga

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    there was a lot of games made for both systems but there were also system only exclusives

Atari ST

Amiga

Excellent, I’ll most likely only add the exclusives to the Atari ST platform in that case

Set the below up this morning in Launchbox.

Sega Model 3
    Sega Naomi (carts & gdroms)
    Sega Naomi 2 (carts & gdroms)

Surprised by how well the Naomi stuff is emulated. Under Defeat is glorious :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

The EMUVR Beta has been live the last 2 weeks! I only spotted it on facebook yesterday:

Basically you email the owner and he sends you a discord invite link where you can read lots of info and get the download link.

http://www.emuvr.net/beta

Incredible looking thing, must dust off the CV1 and give it a bash at some stage. Probably be nearer to Christmas again I have the time to invest in it though.

Is there anything like this on the horizon that lets you design/map out your own VR environment, and populate it with cabs/consoles etc? Would love to bring XL Bowl back to life

Amstrad GX4000
    Atari ST
    ColecoVision

all set up and configured with LaunchBox today. Man, the ColecoVision is WAAY better than I expected it to be, it's more like an Atari 7800 than the 2600 I figured it was competing with.

Inviere wrote: »
    Is there anything like this on the horizon that lets you design/map out your own VR environment, and populate it with cabs/consoles etc? Would love to bring XL Bowl back to life

I just threw that into feature requests channel on their discord earlier on both your and my behalf, and one of the mods replied "soon!"

The game scanner is excellent btw, when you add a folder for a certain platform it figures out which platform it is by the spelling! Nice bit of automation.

Edit: Just realised that i could have pressed autofill instead of selecting the folders individually, doh!

Only one i had to adjust was the c64 and select Floppy Disks instead of Cartridges as thats what I currently have in the folder.

464958.png

Its the little things like that, which know you're in good hands with the Devs.
    I can see this eventually surpassing New Retro Arcade Neon once the room designer is released.

Its now halfway scanning all the ROMS, will report back when its done.

Doge wrote: »
    will report back when its done.

Please do :) I'm particularly interested in hearing how the tv image looks, from the screenshots you posted a few months back, it's nothing short of supernatural how good they've got it to look!

Just added Intellivision there to LB (getting the hang of this now :o). Another nice little system I'd never tried before!

Okay had fierce problems getting to run after scanning all the roms (about 10,000) in oculus, Steam VR and even desktop mode.

Silly me I should have RTFM properly.

"Note: EmuVR loads labels textures for all of your games into your video card memory (VRAM) at launch. As such, adding a large number of games could freeze EmuVR when loading them at start. There is no known upper limit, but keep in mind that migrating a full list of ROMSs from a previous library is not recommended (e.g., thousands of games). You should start at around 200~300 games, then go up."

Anyway got it to load after only dropping in a few roms at a time, and WOW!

The CRT Emulation is amazing and even the reflections in the tv's when the screen goes dark.

The reflections actually fooled me into thinking there was a real door behind me and I even looked back at it wondering if someone was about to come in!

The emulation is super repsonsive too, i couldnt feel any lag.

The 3D models for the consoles, games etc... aren't there you must install them yourself.

Thats next on the list.

If someone out there doesnt have the room for a retro gaming setup, I would highly recommend this as its the closest thing youll get to the experience.

The 3D models for the consoles, games etc... aren't there you must install them yourself.

Are they readily available? I'd hate to have different models with differing quality etc.

Master of the Universe

Well this is kind of cool. While randomly searching for obscure Sony pro video gear from the 90s, I came across the XV T550. It's a Sony Titling machine.

To be even more specific, it's a hidden MSX2! If you open it up, there's even a cartridge slot in there.

Apparently you've to do a bit of work to get it outputting video for games, but interesting nonetheless.

http://msxarcheology.blogspot.com/2016/02/sony-video-titlers-xv-t550-and-xv-j550.html

• Advertisement

Are they readily available? I'd hate to have different models with differing quality etc.

They were in the original videos so they're available alright, must figure out where.

And the quality looked too notch in those videos.

I think there's a section on the discord channel dedicated to models and textures that people can submit so we should be in good hands.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well this is kind of cool. While randomly searching for obscure Sony pro video gear from the 90s, I came across the XV T550. It's a Sony Titling machine.

To be even more specific, it's a hidden MSX2! If you open it up, there's even a cartridge slot in there.

Apparently you've to do a bit of work to get it outputting video for games, but interesting nonetheless.

http://msxarcheology.blogspot.com/2016/02/sony-video-titlers-xv-t550-and-xv-j550.html

Emulation or GTFO! :p

Master of the Universe

Emulation or GTFO! :p

I was wondering where my post went!

Both the General chat and the emulation thread start with a 'G' and end with an 'N'...that's my excuse anyway :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Both the General chat and the emulation thread start with a 'G' and end with an 'N'...that's my excuse anyway :(

This thread emulates the general chat one, it's great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This thread emulates the general chat one, it's great.

But it does so in 1080p and fake scanlines, all at 60fps!

Ok, finally done adding/configuring systems in Launchbox. It's been a whopping task, but I shouldn't have to really ever tinker with it much again, unless adding the odd game here or there. Just to emphasize the scope of RetroArch, here's the following systems I have set up, and what I use to run them:

3DO - RetroArch
    Amstrad CPC - RetroArch
    Amstrad GX4000 - MAME
    Arcade - MAME
    Atari 2600 - RetroArch
    Atari 5200 - RetroArch
    Atari 7800 - RetroArch
    Atari 800 - RetroArch
    Atari Jaguar - RetroArch
    Atari Lynx - RetroArch
    Atari ST - RetroArch
    ColecoVision - MAME
    Commodore 64 - RetroArch
    Commodore Amiga - FS-UAE
    Commodore Amiga CD32 - FS-UAE
    Daphne Laserdisc - Daphne
    Game & Watch - RetroArch
    GCE Vectrex - ParaJVE
    Magnavox Odyssey 2 - RetroArch
    Mattel Intellivision - MAME
    Microsoft MSX - RetroArch
    Microsoft XBOX - Cxbx
    MSDOS - DosBox
    NEC PC Engine - RetroArch
    NEC PC Engine CD Rom - RetroArch
    NEC PC Engine SuperGrafx - RetroArch
    NEC PC-9801 - RetroArch
    NEC PC-FX - RetroArch
    NEC TurboGrafx 16 - RetroArch (same as PC Engine, but I wanted a way to split regional roms)
    NEC TurboGrafx CD - RetroArch
    Nintendo 3DS - Citra
    Nintendo 64 - RetroArch
    Nintendo 64DD - Project64
    Nintendo DS - RetroArch
    Nintendo NES - RetroArch
    Nintendo Famicom - RetroArch
    Nintendo Famicom Disc System - RetroArch
    Nintendo GameBoy - RetroArch
    Nintendo GameBoy Advance - RetroArch
    Nintendo GameBoy Color - RetroArch
    Nintendo GameCube - Dolphin
    Nintendo Super GameBoy - RetroArch
    Nintendo Virtual Boy - RetroArch
    Nintendo Wii - Dolphin
    Nintendo Wii U - Cemu
    Philips CD-i - MAME
    Sega 32X - RetroArch
    Sega Dreamcast - Redream
    Sega GameGear - RetroArch
    Sega Master System - RetroArch
    Sega Mega Drive - RetroArch
    Sega Mega-CD - RetroArch
    Sega Mega-CD 32X - RetroArch
    Sega Model 2 - Model2 Emulator
    Sega Model 3 - Supermodel
    Sega Naomi - Demul
    Sega Naomi 2 - Demul
    Sega Saturn - RetroArch
    Sega SG-1000 - RetroArch
    Sharp X68000 - RetroArch
    Sinclair ZX Spectrum - RetroArch
    SNK Neo Geo AES - RetroArch
    SNK Neo Geo MVS - RetroArch
    SNK Neo Geo CD - MAME
    SNK Neo Geo Pocket - RetroArch
    SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color - RetroArch
    Sony Playstation - RetroArch
    Sony Playstation 2 - PCSX2
    Sony Playstation 3 - Rpcs3
    Sony PSP - PPSSPP
    Super Famicom - RetroArch
    Super Nintendo - RetroArch (same as SFC, again I wanted regional separation for roms though)
    Super Nintendo MSU-1 - RetroArch
    Super Nintendo Satellaview - RetroArch
    Taito Type X - (built in launcher)
    Taito Type X2 - (built in launcher)
    Windows - (built in launcher) (these are Windows games like SoR Remake, not Steam etc)
    WonderSwan - RetroArch
    WonderSwan Color - RetroArch

So out of 79 systems, RetroArch handles 51 of them for me. It really takes all the work out of things, once you put the work in by setting it up. Adding systems to it is as simple as downloading cores from the built in browser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The n00biest of n00b questions, but what sort of PC might one need to run all of that?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The n00biest of n00b questions, but what sort of PC might one need to run all of that?

The majority of it really runs well on quite dated/modest specs. The only emulators right now that require proper grunt are Cemu and Rpcs3. If you remove those systems, you'd not need anything considered remotely high end.

Apparently Super Mario Odyssey is now fully playable form start to end on Yuzu. There are still some visual hitches, but at the rate its been progressing, I'd say it'll be visually perfect in a matter of weeks. Regardless of your stance on the ethics of emulating a current machine, the technicalities of what they've achieved are hugely notable.

• Advertisement

Man, they really got it wrong with the PC-FX. Coming from the glorious PC-Engine, to a glorified FMV machine :( I can’t help but think what the machine could have been

Advertisement