Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Android emulation has taken a huge jump recently. I got a Google Pixel 3 XL last week and have been really impressed by how well it runs emualtors. Dolphin will play nearly everything at either 30FPS or 60FPS and I've been getting stuck into SSX3 at 60FPS all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Inviere wrote: »

Have always wanted one of these. Just never had the spare crash floating around. Great value really considering all the streaming etc you can do as well as being so good with gaming. Never seen it for that price though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Have always wanted one of these. Just never had the spare crash floating around. Great value really considering all the streaming etc you can do as well as being so good with gaming.

I'm gonna pick one up next year I think, I need a media box for another room and this seriously cuts the mustard.

I'm gonna pick one up next year I think, I need a media box for another room and this seriously cuts the mustard.

It really does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya great boxes alright, although mine is 99% Netflix/Plex now rather than gaming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Been looking at them myself how does it work emulation wise ,

Been looking at them myself how does it work emulation wise ,

The video Inviere posted is quite good, ETA Prime on YouTube has 3 or four recent videos about the shield running 10 games per emulator.

I watched ETA primes video aswell as the one above jesus I can't get over how easy that seems to set up , I think I may have to get one of those where is the cheapest Amazon ya reckon ?

I got mine on Amazon, they come up on Ebay as well, try and the controller with it though..

When paired with ARCBrowser as the frontend it really easy a nice setup :)

• Advertisement

Thinking I might sell on my bartop arcade and just get one of these , I love my bartop but it just doesn't get used enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Got one recently and I love it. Everything works so smoothly even streaming from my NAS which my laptop can struggle with. I got one with the controller which is fine especially since it has a headphone jack and volume control built in but I'm not sure I'd get it again considering the amount of controllers I have already that will also work. It's also worth pointing out that the Dolphin core isn't available in RetroArch on Android so Dolphin has to be downloaded separately and sideloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone ever ran a PS1 emulator from the original xbox?

Looking for the best way to play all my NTSC PS1 games that I own but am not bothered taking down off the shelf to play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Anyone ever ran a PS1 emulator from the original xbox?

Looking for the best way to play all my NTSC PS1 games that I own but am not bothered taking down off the shelf to play
    Is this an option?

https://ps-io.com/

Is this an option?

https://ps-io.com/

I'd rather not spend any money :D

And you'd still have to take it down from the shelf... complete deal breaker :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd take a wild guess that PS1 emulation on Xbox is pretty poor considering the Celeron processor it has and the lack of work that's probably been done on it in recent years.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd take a wild guess that PS1 emulation on Xbox is pretty poor considering the Celeron processor it has and the lack of work that's probably been done on it in recent years.

Seconded, wouldn't say there's been much in the way of development Xbox wise in ages. Best off nabbing a Vita or PSTV (leave your discs on the shelf to look pretty)

Never really thought of that.

I have an OG xbox with component cables so I have to find a good use for it

Several months since I got an odroid go for Santa to give to my youngest, he has finally put it together. Nice little bit of kit, he's happy with it which is the main thing. I know going by what I've read the emulation is not perfect but plenty good enough for him (and me). He has yet to bother with the Atari, C64 or, alas, the Spectrum side of things yet. Most impressive thing is the screen, that's lovely.

• Advertisement

Most impressive thing is the screen, that's lovely.

Ironically that’s why I avoided these. It’s hardware limited to 30hz I believe, which leads to noticeable tearing when playing NES games on it.

Ironically that’s why I avoided these. It’s hardware limited to 30hz I believe, which leads to noticeable tearing when playing NES games on it.

More the brightness and viewability. I'm sure you're correct about the tearing, I know it's one of the issues I've read about.

Big improvements to emulation on the Switch recently, (most) PS1 and N64 now playable at full speed due to enhancements to the emulators and overclocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWY9hhLO0E

Preliminary Chirhiro support (Ollie King) in Cxbx-Reloaded

Going to do this next week, just for something to do. It is a great old lump of a machine regardless, loads of very playable games for peanuts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have coin ops on my xbox, good machine. Might try this too. I have all the USB dongle etc if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Recently put Retroarch on a PS3, much to the delight of my brother (who I gifted it to)
    I was going to do the same with my Jasper 360, only to realize that they never figured a way to soft mod it, so that's a no go. Does anyone even still do the mod chips in those, or would it be simpler and more cost effective to just do a Pi3 based mini-retroarch server?

Star Lord wrote: »
    Recently put Retroarch on a PS3, much to the delight of my brother (who I gifted it to)
    I was going to do the same with my Jasper 360, only to realize that they never figured a way to soft mod it, so that's a no go. Does anyone even still do the mod chips in those, or would it be simpler and more cost effective to just do a Pi3 based mini-retroarch server?

I’d say you’d be aswell going the Pi route. The Pi community is so much more active and vibrant than the near non existent 360 homebrew scene these days, so you’ll likely get better support, ports, etc. Jaspers are pretty long in the tooth these days too, you might put a fair bit of work into configuring everything, only for it to rrod before long.

Some of the new Odroid boxes look tasty spec wise, might make a superior alternative to a Pi before long.

• Advertisement

Anyone keeping an eye on the Nvidia Jetson Nano? $100 and great specs compared to the latest pi offerings

Advertisement