Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Might look into Redream, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

How's the ps3 emulation?

Most recent improvements showcase vid from yesterday. Not all games shown are playable, but the improvements are constantly significant with this emulator. I'd say before long (>24 months or so), at this rate anyway, it'll replace an actual PS3

Another emulator that has been making fairly sudden and significant strides lately is Xenia (Xbox 360). I'd love to see this one continue to develop, because like with RPCS3, they'll be hugely valuable tools for game preservation (there's some cracking XBL & PSN content that's no longer available for reasons like licensing etc.) These emulators, with more dev time, will give bring those removed games back to us which are only playable if you've previously bought them, or have modded consoles

I'm on the dreaded Taito Type X/2 segment of my emulation drive rebuild :( Hopefully it will be kind to me....

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm on the dreaded Taito Type X/2 segment of my emulation drive rebuild :( Hopefully it will be kind to me....

Done. Phew. The only one I cant get working is Raiden IV (it throws up an error when it detects the screen is rotated). Will do some homework on it, glad the rest of them are done, have been dreading that system.

• Advertisement

TONS of Retroarch work done today. Mostly setting Launchbox up in such a way that I can use different configs for the same core, ie, the Megadrive core is the same one that plays GameGear. So when I want a GameGear game to play, it boots up the game, with the GameGear overlay picture, the screen centered where it should be, and the correct shader for that system. When I play a Megadrive game, I want none of that, just a fullscreen 4:3 image with the right shader for that system.

Normally you can't do this, as once the core is configured a certain way, that's really it. Launchbox uses a wonderful feature called --appendconfig though, where you can push custom settings per Platform, rather then by core.

TLDR, if you have this problem you'll know what I mean, ask me for help if you need it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Is there a way to get that launchbox setup working on a 15k crt running an emudriver compatible graphics card? I have groovymame working well on the crt but would like to try a modern frontend like launchbox.

Is there a way to get that launchbox setup working on a 15k crt running an emudriver compatible graphics card? I have groovymame working well on the crt but would like to try a modern frontend like launchbox.

From looking online it seems possible. Someone even has a config that sends output for certain systems to a CRT, and other systems to a modern panel, all via config files. I've no experience setting that up however, but consider joining and asking over on their official forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Just to follow up on my last question about getting an android box and being recommended the Shield. Well, I got a shield and it's super sweet. I've been quite happily running Gamecube games, some even at 1080p (ish, in 4:3 so . 3x resolution or whatever). It's top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've always just thought of my Android box as a content streaming device, never even considered it as an emulator. I've a Rii i8 that I use with it, be really interested to see if I can get some Megadrive/Snes games going.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've always just thought of my Android box as a content streaming device, never even considered it as an emulator. I've a Rii i8 that I use with it, be really interested to see if I can get some Megadrive/Snes games going.

In such a guise, they’ll pale in comparison to your physical setup. You need a bit of grunt to go beyond the display shortcomings. Some of the demanding RetroArch shaders do several passes to achieve the desired look. CRT-royale, one of the more demanding shaders, does 12 passes I think. Then factor in the run ahead latency reduction feature which runs two instances of the game, and the lack of processing power really begins to let emulation down on non pc based devices.

That said, the Shield TV is looked upon quite favorably

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it'd be more of an exercise in emulation out of interest than something I'd be using. :)

I was actually looking at PVM SDI to component converters on eBay the other day. Was thinking of having my HD content coming out of the LMD LCD and then going over to the BVM just to see what it looks like as a matter of interest. (aKA an excuse to buy more silly broadcast equipment!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm using a Shield TV and can vouch for it as an emulator.
    Running Retrox for my emulation needs at the mo.
    I had previously used RetroArch and Mupen64, but the faffing about always got on my nerves.
    Retrox is probably my 2nd most used app at the mo!

banie01 wrote: »
    I had previously used RetroArch and Mupen64, but the faffing about always got on my nerves.

Pure RetroArch is very faffy, I’ll give you that. Paired with a front end though, it becomes untouchable imo, outside of the need for the odd standalone emu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Where is a good place to download Mame artwork packs ?

Looking for marquees and wheel art for a new attract-mode build and its scrapper fails to find a lot of images.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Inviere have you ever tried coin ops on the PC ?
    A new version released a few days ago apparently and it supposed to be better than Launchbox??

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Inviere have you ever tried coin ops on the PC ?
    A new version released a few days ago apparently and it supposed to be better than Launchbox??

No never looked into it, as LB does everything I need of it very easily. What does Coin ops offer? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No never looked into it, as LB does everything I need of it very easily. What does Coin ops offer? :)

Have it installing now. It's a 20 gb install with 1136 roms.
    Tested it on my main pc and it just seems to do everything without any setup.
    Going to try it on the nuc and see how it runs.

Have it installing now. It's a 20 gb install with 1136 roms.
    Tested it on my main pc and it just seems to do everything without any setup.
    Going to try it on the nuc and see how it runs.

Sounds like you have a preconfigured build with the config all done and roms included, ie, a portable install. You could get same for Launch Box in, em, places, I’d say :) I’d say two things about going this route

1) Without having done any of the sometimes tedious setup, figuring out issues, and learning how to use the program, you’re kinda goosed when it comes to adding new systems and/or fault finding. People used to grab preconfigured HyperSpin builds years ago, and be left scratching their heads when they needed to change or add something.

2) I feel like I’ve contributed to LB by buying a license. The preconfigured builds often use pirated licenses with old builds that lack new features etc.

Sounds like you have a preconfigured build with the config all done and roms included, ie, a portable install. You could get same for Launch Box in, em, places, I’d say :) I’d say two things about going this route

1) Without having done any of the sometimes tedious setup, figuring out issues, and learning how to use the program, you’re kinda goosed when it comes to adding new systems and/or fault finding. People used to grab preconfigured HyperSpin builds years ago, and be left scratching their heads when they needed to change or add something.

2) I feel like I’ve contributed to LB by buying a license. The preconfigured builds often use pirated licenses with old builds that lack new features etc.

Thanks for the heads up.Ive used coinops on the xbox original before and to be completely honest it just worked.
    This new coinops on pc gives me that same warm fuzzy feeling ie install it and just leave it!!!
    I think its more of a compliment to Launchbox rather than a replacement if Im honest. This combined with my redream drive and LB and I think I have almost the prefect setup.

Now Im just waiting on my arcade controls to arrive!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up.Ive used coinops on the xbox original before and to be completely honest it just worked.
    This new coinops on pc gives me that same warm fuzzy feeling ie install it and just leave it!!!
    I think its more of a compliment to Launchbox rather than a replacement if Im honest. This combined with my redream drive and LB and I think I have almost the prefect setup.

Now Im just waiting on my arcade controls to arrive!!!

Redream plays beautifully with LB, you should see if you can tie it into Coin Ops for an even more seamless experience :)

Ooooh, now we're talking. Time to dust off the Switch. RetroArch coming with full glsl shader supoprt...that's going to be pretty special, & will make the Switch possibly the best portable emulation machine available

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1045606619780968448

Well, close enough :o

image.jpg

There's a cracking shader called "dot" which gives the image a very close approximation of the dot matrix lcd display like in the GameBoy etc. There's another one which emulates the motion blur, but that's only for masochists

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a decade old laptop here at home.
    I must give it a fresh install of Windows and see what it'll run.
    I'm unsure of the specs though.
    Might be something I could switch to in the cab, for when I want to play some stuff there that I can't via the RPi, like Super Hexagon and Tempest 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

That Game Boy is impressive. It would be great to get something like that up and running.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a decade old laptop here at home.
    I must give it a fresh install of Windows and see what it'll run.
    I'm unsure of the specs though.
    Might be something I could switch to in the cab, for when I want to play some stuff there that I can't via the RPi, like Super Hexagon and Tempest 2000.

What version of Windows is best from an emulation point of view.
    I personally find Windows 7 the best.
    10 gives me all sorts of direct x errors and missing dll errors.
    I find myself starting afresh with 7 after pricking about trying to get 10 to work.

That Game Boy is impressive. It would be great to get something like that up and running.

It's a lovely effect, the shader makes it with the dot matrix effect. Very easily done, have the same for all the handhelds (Game Gear, GB, GBC, GBA, NGP, Wonderswan, etc).
    What version of Windows is best from an emulation point of view.
    I personally find Windows 7 the best.
    10 gives me all sorts of direct x errors and missing dll errors.
    I find myself starting afresh with 7 after pricking about trying to get 10 to work.

Haven't had a single issue with 10. Everything just works

New Cemu version released, 1.13.2 (for Patreons, free version in a few days). Seems to have given a significant performance increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

RetroArch coming with full glsl shader supoprt...that's going to be pretty special, & will make the Switch possibly the best portable emulation machine available.

You spoke too soon! :P

https://www.smachz.com

I just found this device advertised on Facebook. Have yet to investigate if it's real or is a scam. Impressive power for its size of it turns out to be true though.

Advertisement