Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Ironman in cork next year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

TriFirst wrote: »
    Brownlee passes McCrystal .. not that the Ironman coverage caught it

He'll finish well ahead of McCrystal by the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Brownlee passes McCrystal .. not that the Ironman coverage caught it

That was crazy, AB was about 15m behind him about to pass and they change to the womens leader :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Chris871 wrote: »
    That was crazy, AB was about 15m behind him about to pass and they change to the womens leader :confused:

The coverage has been beyond poor, as I said combined with the 'technical difficulties' of basically not waterproofing transmission equipment and the dreadful weather it has been a poor advert for Ironman sadly. I feel the most for Bryan mccrystal who led the race for most of the day on his home turf and yet it wasnt even caught on camera. Ironman are a disgrace.

Hard luck to Bryan, he gave it everything on the bike and to finish second to Brownlee was immense !!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The coverage has been beyond poor, as I said combined with the 'technical difficulties' of basically not waterproofing transmission equipment and the dreadful weather it has been a poor advert for Ironman sadly. I feel the most for Bryan mccrystal who led the race for most of the day on his home turf and yet it wasnt even caught on camera. Ironman are a disgrace.

i'm guessing this is the first coverage you have watched?

i'm not surprised they had difficulties, how much is the government about to drop on rolling out broadband coverage to give coverage to remote areas, like the areas they were cycling through today?

agree it's a shame they had issues, but if you had watched any in the past you'd know that was a serious improvement over their prior efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

but you are aware that AB took the lead much earlier as started the race 4.30 or so min behind bryan ... and they where rougly on the ball when that happend.

so bryan still good lead coverage when he was technicaly not leading anymore.

I am not saying coverage was good ( i dont quite understand why they show a race with the lowest price money possible when they had a stellar field at euro 70.3 champs that had a much higher price money and deeper field) but I still like to point out the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

peter kern wrote: »
    but you are aware that AB took the lead much earlier as started the race 4.30 or so min behind bryan ... and they where rougly on the ball when that happend.

so bryan still good lead coverage when he was technicaly not leading anymore.

I am not saying coverage was good ( i dont quite understand why they show a race with the lowest price money possible when they had a stellar field at euro 70.3 champs that had a much higher price money and deeper field) but I still like to point out the facts.

What was the prize money? couldnt find that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Chris871 wrote: »
    What was the prize money? couldnt find that anywhere.

15 000 $ in total. apology that's the 70.3 it was 40 000
    I think elsmore 70.3 was 75 000 ( that's correct)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see the bad mouthing has already started on other forums. That wasnt an Ironman the Kona places should've been withheld, they cant call themselves triathletes etc etc:pac:

mossym wrote: »
    i'm guessing this is the first coverage you have watched?

i'm not surprised they had difficulties, how much is the government about to drop on rolling out broadband coverage to give coverage to remote areas, like the areas they were cycling through today?

agree it's a shame they had issues, but if you had watched any in the past you'd know that was a serious improvement over their prior efforts.

Broadband width in rural Ireland had nothing to do with Ironman's transmission issues. The organisers would have had a satellite link from the motorcyclists relaying the feed back to a central HQ I presume in Youghal. The problem was the feed kept going down because of the wet conditions affecting the transmission equipment on the bikes, nothing to do with broadband at all.

I have watched other Ironman branded races this was the worst yet for coverage. I cant understand a company / brand worth upwards of 1 billion dollars having such basic issues with their broadcast. Ironman need to hire an experienced sports TV director so they can do the sport and the competitors justice with some proper coverage. Triathlon is a sport that needs all the help it can get to grow, that coverage today did Ireland and the sport of Triathlon a disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jmdsk

Absolute disgrace, no mention of the great event on the National news RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jmdsk

Absolute disgrace, no mention of the great event on the National news RTE this evening or the great performance by Bryan McCrystal

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

If it was on in the North they would have covered it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

jmdsk wrote: »
    Absolute disgrace, no mention of the great event on the National news RTE this evening or the great performance by Bryan McCrystal

+1

Rte website > Sport > Other

https://www.rte.ie/search/query/ironman/

Both nothing. Sure you hardly expect a civil servant to work on a Sunday? Bet it will be on tomorrow as they clearly considered it a dead donkey

Sad as was a great event but camera men, etc over the weekend probably want double pay or more to attend. Other than filming from Ironman I say no other video media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Broadband width in rural Ireland had nothing to do with Ironman's transmission issues. The organisers would have had a satellite link from the motorcyclists relaying the feed back to a central HQ I presume in Youghal. The problem was the feed kept going down because of the wet conditions affecting the transmission equipment on the bikes, nothing to do with broadband at all.

I have watched other Ironman branded races this was the worst yet for coverage. I cant understand a company / brand worth upwards of 1 billion dollars having such basic issues with their broadcast. Ironman need to hire an experienced sports TV director so they can do the sport and the competitors justice with some proper coverage. Triathlon is a sport that needs all the help it can get to grow, that coverage today did Ireland and the sport of Triathlon a disservice.

The motor bike nearly didn't make it up windmill hill with the two lads on it. The amount of smoke that came off it had the whole crowd coughing. Bike was seriously underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Went down today as a spectator , few thoughts about the race.

1st off. The cancellation of the swim.
    100% the correct decision. I'm sure some people would have been able to swim in that sea, would they be able to swim 3.8k..? I dont think many would. And it would have been putting to many swimmers and boat crews at risk. The sea was very rough, and can"t be gaged by a picture.

Was TT the best way to start the race. Probably not but I dont think they had to option of a 10k run due to closed roads etc..

I would have to feel sorry for the athletes and organisation.

Windmill hill was brutal. Only stayed there for a while but in that time I would hazard a guess that 30/40% were walking it and that was the 1st lap. Didnt see the bike cut out but the ambulance cut out in front of us and had to get a push to help it get going again.

The weather was brutal all day with rain for 99% of it and fairly heavy at times with very strong winds as well.

There was great support on the run course with thousands on the streets, despite the conditions.

Didnt see any race coverage , but it doesn't surprise me that it was hit and miss with the conditions, unless you were there its hard to imagine it and is easy to be critical.
    As to why IM would show this on FB live. I'm sure with Allister Brownlee make his debut it would attract a fairly sizeable audience.

It was a pity the weather went against the race, it was a great event to watch despite the rain..
    And fair play to everyone who made the finsh line. Are they an "Ironman" maybe not but I can tell you it certainly was one hell of a hard day out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

+1 to Ceepo's comments above.

Headed down to support a few club mates. Everything about this race seemed well planned and organised. I would think that if the weather had played ball that this would be a great race. Unfortunately the organisers got very unlucky. Had the race been on a different day it would have gone very differently. Unfortunately this is the risk you run of having a race in Ireland - you just never know what you are going to get.

Enjoyed spectating at Windmill hill for a couple of hours. Saw quite a few people pushing 7 or 8 grands worth of bike uphill, and not all of them had reached their smallest gear prior to dismounting. Thought AB did well today, did what was needed and no more. After the pro race ended, I headed off as conditions had become biblical, fair play to those who stuck with it.

I believe there is a 3 year agreement in place. They need everything to go like clockwork next year to save this race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks for that Ceepo. I think main issue with the coverage (for me) was it was hard to make anything out half the time as cameras where covered with rain. I'm not that type of nerd so no idea myself if there is better equipment they could have to help shield the cameras from the weather.

Was great to have the coverage all the same. Had it on all day here.

Having raced in wet, cold, windy weather in Tyrone and come off the worse for it last year - had I been down in Cork today. I would not have started that race. So fair play to all that did. Nasty conditions. Could swim and run in that all day but on the bike you can get so damn cold. Pity given the weather we had this time last year (though I think even then water temps would still have had the full swim as touch and go).

Well done to all who toed the line. Disappointing not to have a swim but looking at race times - savage and slow day out for all and some look like they where matching what they would have expected with a swim.

Why would you expect them to cover it? They don't cover any other triathlons / marathons / ultra marathons that go on every weekend?
    Did they cover the 24 hour race in Belfast over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

jmdsk wrote: »

What great event were you watching? An absolute wash out, bad advertisement for triathlon, 12 hours of misery for most of the competitors not including all the standing around in the rain waiting, freezing their holes off and all for the small fee on 500 quid.

IRONMAN don’t give a crap about their customers which anyone will find out over the coming days if they ring up with queries or complaints. They’ll pocket the money and won’t give a sh1te about the 100s of first timers who trained for 6 month to get ready.

• Advertisement

rooneyjm wrote: »
    What great event were you watching? An absolute wash out, bad advertisement for triathlon, 12 hours of misery for most of the competitors not including all the standing around in the rain waiting, freezing their holes off and all for the small fee on 500 quid.

IRONMAN don’t give a crap about their customers which anyone will find out over the coming days if they ring up with queries or complaints. They’ll pocket the money and won’t give a sh1te about the 100s of first timers who trained for 6 month to get ready.

What will people complain about? The weather? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

That’s the kind of smart arse comment you would get from IM, you should ask them for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sitting in the athletes car park which looks like the ploughing championship at the minute as 3-4 tractors try and pull about 400 cars out of a quagmire.I’ill be here until tomorrow morning I’d say.

Cancelling the swim was absolutely the right calll, I’m an experience OW swimmer and I’d not like to have swam 3.8 in those conditions. It’s not just about weaker swimmers but how you monitor over 2000 swimmers when the surfers disappear from view between the waves. Making us stand in the pissing rain for a couple of hours on the other hand wasn’t a good call. One thing that it did mean was that your ‘dry bag’ was soaked for when you finished the race and by the time the bike started you were feckin freezin.

I’ll put some good and bad bits down when I’m less tired but the biggest plus today was the support. There were local people who stood out in the rain on the bike course all day. It looked like local schools had made banners and signs for the whole course (ride it like you left the immersion on). On the run the support was immense. I feel really sorry for the people of Youghal and Cork who really took to this race in a way I’ve never seen in an Irish race before.

I also feel sorry for any first timers who missed out on a full race.But you always take that chance with a sea swim, especially in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I did IM Cork.

Even with great weather should not have been on TV.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Sitting in the athletes car park which looks like the ploughing championship at the minute as 3-4 tractors try and pull about 400 cars out of a quagmire.I’ill be here until tomorrow morning I’d say.

Where abouts? Got any food.

Echo the comments on support. Hence going to sleep on the report. Properly in the car, in the field. Plus side have a load of space blankets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »
    Where abouts? Got any food.

Just got pulled out. Happy days. Flash your lights as a tractor passes.

Out. Just moved the car until it was stuck blocking everything. Had to move me next.

rooneyjm wrote: »
    That’s the kind of smart arse comment you would get from IM, you should ask them for a job.

It's not a comment it is a question. Why don't you answer it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The only complaint I had was the lack of info on the swim. It was obvious heading to the start it wasn’t going ahead no markers in the water. The decision should have made earlier.

Advertisement