Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Ironman in cork next year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

tunney wrote: »
    Swim will be shortened, question is by how much.....

i actually dont think it will, water temp is fine and over the required 13 degrees.

now theres a bit of rain every few hours but nothing major it seems.

Id be gutted if it was as its my first and swim is my favorite of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »

I'd say there's more chance of me winning on Sunday than there is of TI curtailing this swim :)

Seriously, would be rightly pissed off if the swim is shortened. I was worried that the wind might cause it to be shortened or cancelled due to rough seas, but I never considered water temperature. That's what a few years away from tri doing LOS does to you :P

These suggests it will be very very close - https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/youghal.htm

http://www.marine.ie/Home/site-area/data-services/real-time-observations/irish-marine-data-buoy-observation-network

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Youghal is looking fabulous for the ironman , best wishes to all competing. Welcome to Youghal and East Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

Best of luck to all. Hope you have a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any recommendations on best places to park and spectate?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

deisedude wrote: »
    Any recommendations on best places to park and spectate?

theres a shuttle bus from the rugby club as far as i know. Not too sure where it goes but presume that it will go to the transition runs from 5. €5 for parking and shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

nok2008 wrote: »
    theres a shuttle bus from the rugby club as far as i know. Not too sure where it goes but presume that it will go to the transition runs from 5. €5 for parking and shuttle.

Thank you, that will do nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Email from organisers. Swim will be delayed and shortened.

My money on a 1900m swim. If it happens. Heavy chop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'd say there's more chance of me winning on Sunday than there is of TI curtailing this swim :)

Seriously, would be rightly pissed off if the swim is shortened. I was worried that the wind might cause it to be shortened or cancelled due to rough seas, but I never considered water temperature. That's what a few years away from tri doing LOS does to you :P

These suggests it will be very very close - https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/youghal.htm

http://www.marine.ie/Home/site-area/data-services/real-time-observations/irish-marine-data-buoy-observation-network

Looks like swim being shortened now. By how much not known until tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Official statement up on Facebook now that the swim will be shortened

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Official statement up on Facebook now that the swim will be shortened

They are saying now swim is canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Must be very disappointing for all involved. Still, safety first. Obviously later in the summer would be better if that’s possible for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Oh dear...
    Gutted for everyone involved, that's a mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Duathlon now unfortunately.
    And the word is it it's going to be a TT type start with athletes starting by the bib no.
    Heavy rain here now. Athletes are all ready wet and have to wait for the allocated start time

Pros are off at 7,20 am.

Feel sorry for organisers and athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Ceepo wrote: »
    Duathlon now unfortunately.
    And the word is it it's going to be a TT type start with athletes starting by the bib no.
    Heavy rain here now. Athletes are all ready wet and have to wait for the allocated start time

Pros are off at 7,20 am.

Feel sorry for organisers and athletes.

How long will that take I wonder? Is it 2,500 athletes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Oh dear...
    Gutted for everyone involved, that's a mare.

Bigtime..was all set up brilliantly...like the Mediterranean the last few days and then this..typical Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

bingobars wrote: »
    How long will that take I wonder? Is it 2,500 athletes?

2,300 according to entries.
    Off by number
    Going to 2 hours at least before they're all off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ceepo wrote: »
    Going to 2 hours at least before they're all off.

No different to them all doing a 3.8k swim really if it is circa 2 hours.

https://imgur.com/a/DyYEzZz swim doesn't look all that bad from here:pac:
    DyYEzZz

McCrystal doing well. The lack of swim could be good for him, will have him off the bike possibly in the top 3 then he just has to run for his life. He'd usually be behind for the swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

McCrystal doing well. The lack of swim could be good for him, will have him off the bike possibly in the top 3 then he just has to run for his life. He'd usually be behind for the swim.

It could be a pro and a con the runners in the group will have that bit more energy it will be interesting to see if Brownlee blows up he's aggressive on the bike and gives it everything on the run.

Just watching on their Live stream and they're trying to portray it as pretty but it's a manky day there will be some very cold age groupers coming in later on. I'd say DNF's will be very high.

As for the swim looking at that clip above it was probably the right choice as unfortunately they have to cater to the weakest swimmers, although they'd never admit that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

No different to them all doing a 3.8k swim really if it is circa 2 hours.

https://imgur.com/a/DyYEzZz swim doesn't look all that bad from here:pac:
    DyYEzZz

You're not standing in the cold and wet if you are swimming. Wet yes but you should be warm. Those waiting must be freezing. If not they will cook 20 minutes into the bike

Feel sorry for all, guy that works with me was doing this as his first and he said during the week that he was going to be seriously pi$$ed if they even shortened the swim. He trained for an Ironman that's what he wanted. Real shame for anyone on their first.

Watching the footage, good to see lots treating it as their usual Sunday morning spin, rolling around in a group with their mates.

mossym wrote: »
    You're not standing in the cold and wet if you are swimming. Wet yes but you should be warm. Those waiting must be freezing. If not they will cook 20 minutes into the bike

Just said the same here. Those still waiting to start must be freezing. I was just thinking of Tyrone there a while ago. That was carnage for a half because none of us where prepared for cold weather on the bike. See people there on coverage going out in just tri-suits. I don't think they will make it to 180.
    mossym wrote: »
    Watching the footage, good to see lots treating it as their usual Sunday morning spin, rolling around in a group with their mates.

lol - thinking the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Flashbacks to Eireman in Courtown here...

What an absolute p!sser for a serious first timer.
    But I'm sure the good people of Ironman will allow a reduced entry to another event.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

I also feel sorry for all the tattoo shops in Cork that would have made a fortune doing Ironman logos on people over the next few days....

Too soon??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

What an absolute p!sser for a serious first timer.
    But I'm sure the good people of Ironman will allow a reduced entry to another event.......

it's an absolute pi$$er for everyone out there today looking at the footage.

i hate to see this. got asked so many times over the last year why i wasn't doing this, my honest answer was to do all the training to run the risk that you would end up suffering through a cold wet miserable day in ireland (as they did in challenge galway a few years back) didn't appeal to me. hoped it wouldn't turn out like this, having seeing the build up all week i was actually thinking about next year, but this is one instance where you hate seeing your instincts validated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

mloc123 wrote: »
    Flashbacks to Eireman in Courtown here...

Oh dear god...no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Walked by the shore a few minutes ago, absolutely right call about cancelling. You'd be risking the lives of boat crews, never mind the weaker swimmers. Huge swells.

• Advertisement

Ignorant question -
    How does a cancelled swim affect Kona qualification?
    Brownlee was talking about winning Kona during the week. Might be just promotional fluff, but just curious

Advertisement