Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangladeshi Trainee Garda and His Sham Marriage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

With asylum seekers (who bypassed many other countries getting to our social welfare paradise) now being allowed to work as soon as they "get" here, and with shysters/scam artists who are working here illegally with little consequence if they get caught (suspended sentences); you'd have to wonder why anyone from outside the EU would go through the bother and hassle to apply for a work permit in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have no issue with deporting him. He shouldn't be here. Others want to confiscate all the cash he earned legally through his businesses. And it was earned legally unless somebody has information to the contrary.

At the very least this gentleman should be detained and required to cooperate in a forensic examination of his business/s.
    It is common knowledge that Business Ventures of themselves make excellent fronts for the laundering of criminal assets,hence the setting up of the CAB.

There is something a little "off" about an individual spending six years on full-time study,then having enough ready assets to set up and fund as substantial an enterprise as this.

He can,of course,consent to return to India voluntarily,with his funds remaining here whilst their legitimacy is verfied....fair and equitable surely ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AlekSmart wrote: »
    At the very least this gentleman should be detained and required to cooperate in a forensic examination of his business/s.
    It is common knowledge that Business Ventures of themselves make excellent fronts for the laundering of criminal assets,hence the setting up of the CAB.

There is something a little "off" about an individual spending six years on full-time study,then having enough ready assets to set up and fund as substantial an enterprise as this.

He can,of course,consent to return to India voluntarily,with his funds remaining here whilst their legitimacy is verfied....fair and equitable surely ?

sounds a lot like extortion to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

So if an Irish criminal is at large in Oz, should be go easy on an Aussie criminal over here?? Ridiculous comparison. The law is the law, there's a reason for that.

The law should and thankfully in this case does allow for circumstance. Both of these guys (trainee guard and sandwich shop operator) essentially commuted the same crime but are being treated differently.

Just because what the guy in Limerick did was illegal doesn’t nessecarily make it wrong. The local community and wider society as a whole benefited by his contributions.

Illegal immigrant or not I’d swap a thousand lazy job-fearing welfare parasites for one of him any day.

sounds a lot like extortion to me.

OH...how ?

He returns to his homeland...a free man.

His funds are retained here in Ireland,pending a full reconciliation,which if successful,then sees his money returned to him in India.

Should it be simply wished-away that this man engaged in a deliberate and expensive subterfuge,the proceeds of which undoubtably contribute to serious criminal activity in Ireland.

If this gent is as keen as he appears to be,then he will be only too glad to get his act together surely ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AlekSmart wrote: »
    OH...how ?

He returns to his homeland...a free man.

His funds are retained here in Ireland,pending a full reconciliation,which if successful,then sees his money returned to him in India.

Should it be simply wished-away that this man engaged in a deliberate and expensive subterfuge,the proceeds of which undoubtably contribute to serious criminal activity in Ireland.

If this gent is as keen as he appears to be,then he will be only too glad to get his act together surely ?

the guy ran sandwich shops. what serious criminal activity are you referring to?

Arrived 2006, married 2012.

Six years on a student visa. Not bad. Must have studied some high tech stuff if hes running a few sandwich bars.

Mr Pandy is now 29.
    He arrrives in Ireland in 2006......12 years ago,aged 17...yes ?
    He completes his studies in 2012 ?.....aged 23 and fronts up €7,000 for an EU bride..yes ?
    6 years later,Mr Pandy is apparently a businessman of some magnitude,possessing significant assets,with no questioning of this account tolerated...yes ?

When one hears so much negativity these days as to the fall in Irish Educational Standards...so called Grade Inflation,it would appear that at least one Irish Educational establishment is surely punching well above it's weight ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

the guy ran sandwich shops. what serious criminal activity are you referring to?

The 'guy' was in the country illegally.

And if he was a student for 6 years, where did he get the money to set up a successful chain of sandwich bars.
    Being a foreign student in Ireland could be lucrative though, as he paid €7,000 immediately after his 6 years of study to the facilitator of his sham marriage.

There's something odd with the whole story .......... besides the Latvian bride and falsification of documents etc.

The guy ran Sandwich Shops. what serious criminal activity are you referring to?

If he paid €7,000 to somebody to arrange a marriage,it can safely be taken that this money is being used for criminal purposes.

This is no longer the Ireland of Father McDyer or the Knock Marriage Bureau.

This is a full blown multi-million € criminal enterprise,which is far from the blamless enterprise which some would suggest.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/probe-into-irishbased-marriage-scam-being-used-to-obtain-eu-residency-for-illegal-immigrants-36855018.html
    Operation Vantage has identified 16 Irish-based ringleaders involved in the racket which is estimated to have generated more than €20m for the gangs: each marriage cost between €15,000 and €20,000.

The women, however, were typically paid up to a paltry €3,000 for their services, often arriving in the country on the day of the ceremony and leaving immediately afterwards.

Of more interest in this case,particularly given Limerick connection is the following ......
    In one of the raids it was discovered that a small convenience store in Limerick was used to obtain residency rights for 135 Afghans based on fake marriages and bogus documents. All of the permissions to stay in the country were subsequently revoked.

When officers investigating a marriage between a Pakistani national and a Latvian woman visited another business address in Limerick last December, they found evidence of a further 11 fake marriages involving individuals using the same address.

Possibly a complete coincidence,but to my mind,deserving of the fullest investigation,including the retention of monies and assests,subject to verification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

John_D80 wrote: »
    The law should and thankfully in this case does allow for circumstance. Both of these guys (trainee guard and sandwich shop operator) essentially commuted the same crime but are being treated differently.

Just because what the guy in Limerick did was illegal doesn’t nessecarily make it wrong. The local community and wider society as a whole benefited by his contributions.

Illegal immigrant or not I’d swap a thousand lazy job-fearing welfare parasites for one of him any day.

Unless you were a Limerick local who was beaten to the purchase of the franchises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I have no issue with deporting him. He shouldn't be here. Others want to confiscate all the cash he earned legally through his businesses. And it was earned legally unless somebody has information to the contrary.

Given his interests in illegal activity and the proliferation of illegal sham marriages, his assets should be seized until investigated as to the legitimacy of his financial sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

One of the criminals involved in sham marriages has, at last, been caught and deported.

He arranged over 100 sham marriages between Asian men and Latvian women.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/game-over-for-cricket-playing-sham-marriage-organiser-1.3504789

Timeline

Enters Ireland, claims asylum

He is a bogus asylum-seeker

His bogus asylum claim was correctly rejected over and over, which is common, but the illegal immigrant is then allowed to appeal, over and over again.

Each appeal was rejected.

"Ramzan had married a Latvian woman himself in Co Tipperary in 2009. That sham union took place just weeks after his application for asylum was rejected for the final time on appeal.

He ultimately gained Irish residency and opted to remain on in Ireland and organise sham marriages for other Asian men.
    Ramzan developed criminal contacts in Riga, Latvia, who sourced the brides. They flew to Dublin for the wedding ceremonies; Ramzan personally booked more than 100 flights out of Riga for the brides.

However, five years ago when the Garda clamped down hard on sham marriages, Ramzan was one of the key ringleaders targeted under Operation Vantage
    ."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I have to say I am happy to hear that.
    These guys are having a completely and utter ball off the back of us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Trying to close the stable door when the horse is well gone galloping off into the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Trying to close the stable door when the horse is well gone galloping off into the distance.

I thought the problem was all these horses trying to get into the
    stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I thought the problem was all these horses trying to get into the
    stable?

Just because you're born or living in a stable doesnt mean you're a horse ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A sham marriage you say.

That's the norm for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

More information on the scale of sham marriages today:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/more-than-1-000-marriages-in-republic-confirmed-as-illegal-1.3536635

More than 1,000 confirmed.

"The Irish Times has learned while Garda files have been prepared on 1,200 such marriages, the major Garda investigation into the scam is continuing."

Yet I see that UL is giving scholarship to asylum-seekers!!!

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/319370/ul-to-offer-scholarships-worth-1-8-million-to-refugees-and-asylum-seekers.html

We know that 50% of AS during 2015 were Asian men coming from the UK.

See here, section 3.2:

http://www.esri.ie/pubs/RS72.pdf

"Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants accounted for 50 per cent of all asylum
    applications in Ireland in 2015, at 9 per cent and 41 per cent respectively (see
    Figure 1.4). The majority of these applicants, according to IPO, had previously been resident in the UK. The influx of Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants contributed to asylum application figures doubling between 2014 and 2015 (see Figure 1.3).

The Minister for Justice and Equality reported that the Irish government was
    working with the authorities in the UK to address the issue of young men from
    Bangladesh and Pakistan who were present on UK visas there coming to Ireland to seek asylum (Lynch, 2015)."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Geuze wrote: »
    More information on the scale of sham marriages today:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/more-than-1-000-marriages-in-republic-confirmed-as-illegal-1.3536635

More than 1,000 confirmed.

"The Irish Times has learned while Garda files have been prepared on 1,200 such marriages, the major Garda investigation into the scam is continuing."

Yet I see that UL is giving scholarship to asylum-seekers!!!

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/319370/ul-to-offer-scholarships-worth-1-8-million-to-refugees-and-asylum-seekers.html

We know that 50% of AS during 2015 were Asian men coming from the UK.

See here, section 3.2:

http://www.esri.ie/pubs/RS72.pdf

"Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants accounted for 50 per cent of all asylum
    applications in Ireland in 2015, at 9 per cent and 41 per cent respectively (see
    Figure 1.4). The majority of these applicants, according to IPO, had previously been resident in the UK. The influx of Bangladeshi and Pakistani applicants contributed to asylum application figures doubling between 2014 and 2015 (see Figure 1.3).

The Minister for Justice and Equality reported that the Irish government was
    working with the authorities in the UK to address the issue of young men from
    Bangladesh and Pakistan who were present on UK visas there coming to Ireland to seek asylum (Lynch, 2015)."

"Herp derp, we don't need unskilled labour"

UL: "We'll give them an education."

"WTF, we don't want them learning stuff."

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheManTheMyth

If it took months of surveillance to catch out 13 guys i dont fancy our chances on deporting 1000 criminals, never the less, great work by the law.

• Advertisement

Is a sham marriage a gay wedding in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Geuze wrote: »
    "Herp derp, we don't need unskilled labour"

UL: "We'll give them an education."

"WTF, we don't want them learning stuff."

Depends who THEY are really.

If GRANTED refugee status - some merit to it for all parties.

But asylum SEEKERS - WTF? Could be complete chancers - we don't know but you would happily see them get a place in one of our universities all paid for?

No big surprise though given the agenda dosh that Chuck Open Borders Feeney has thrown UL's direction and his funding of a group called Doras Luimni in Limerick, an org that purports to help new arrivals as vulnerable people, but sees all would turn up here as legitimate regardless of anything.

Funny how none of the foreign folks I work with every day never needed their services.

If you are OK with these billionaire machinations fine. But don't whinge then about our politicians being marionettes for corporations and everything being made toxic by big business donations like Ray being paid by Shell etc.

Because it is either OK to meddle or not.

Myself, I'm agin it.

topper75 wrote: »
    Depends who THEY are really.

Yes, I figured.

If GRANTED refugee status - some merit to it for all parties.

But asylum SEEKERS - WTF? Could be complete chancers - we don't know but you would happily see them get a place in one of our universities all paid for?

No big surprise though given the agenda dosh that Chuck Open Borders Feeney has thrown UL's direction and his funding of a group called Doras Luimni in Limerick, an org that purports to help new arrivals as vulnerable people, but sees all would turn up here as legitimate regardless of anything.

Funny how none of the foreign folks I work with every day never needed their services.

If you are OK with these billionaire machinations fine. But don't whinge then about our politicians being marionettes for corporations and everything being made toxic by big business donations like Ray being paid by Shell etc.

Because it is either OK to meddle or not.

Myself, I'm agin it.

Have you looked at the eligibility requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Have you looked at the eligibility requirements?

The reqs don't appear in that article. Can you direct me to them please?

I'd be keen to see what distinctions they make if any between asylum SEEKERS and those who have been granted asylum. The article suggests both are eligible.

Whilst casting my eye over that article again the Sanctuary thing stood out. Not clear from the article what that involves. I hope it isn't some thing like the college deeming itself the arbiter of who gets to come in and stay here ahead of those horrid wolves in the institutions of an elected government.

That whole sanctuary city thing in America is a little arrogant but not an unusual mindset in a federal setup accustomed to separate state law. In our Ireland, there can be no special cases in law.

The reqs don't appear in that article. Can you direct me to them please?

I'd be keen to see what distinctions they make if any between asylum SEEKERS and those who have been granted asylum. The article suggests both are eligible.

Whilst casting my eye over that article again the Sanctuary thing stood out. Not clear from the article what that involves. I hope it isn't some thing like the college deeming itself the arbiter of who gets to come in and stay here ahead of those horrid wolves in the institutions of an elected government.

That whole sanctuary city thing in America is a little arrogant but not an unusual mindset in a federal setup accustomed to separate state law. In our Ireland, there can be no special cases in law.

They are here.

https://www.ul.ie/news-centre/news/ul-announces-new-four-year-scholarships-for-asylum-seekers-and-refugees/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭deletthis

It's a joke really.

Myself, 8 years Policing experience in UK with exemplary service record. Can't join AGS because I don't speak a second language. Go figure.

deletthis wrote: »
    It's a joke really.

Myself, 8 years Policing experience in UK with exemplary service record. Can't join AGS because I don't speak a second language. Go figure.

Have you tried learning a second language like every other person who joins?

Have you tried learning a second language like every other person who joins?

By every other person who joins I assume you mean the vast majority who qualify through leaving cert level in Irish but couldn't actually hold a conversation in the language?

deletthis wrote: »
    By every other person who joins I assume you mean the vast majority who qualify through leaving cert level in Irish but couldn't actually hold a conversation in the language?

Actually most Irish people would have three languages. French or German is taking by a large proportion of leaving cert students. You also have to pass an Irish test in the college which includes an oral exam.

But if it makes you feel better you can compare yourself to any of the non-Irish applicants, who also have to learn Irish in the college.

• Advertisement

Actually most Irish people would have three languages. French or German is taking by a large proportion of leaving cert students. You also have to pass an Irish test in the college which includes an oral exam.

But if it makes you feel better you can compare yourself to any of the non-Irish applicants, who also have to learn Irish in the college.

I'd happily undertake to learn Irish to the required level if part of the training programme (it's my understanding that it is not, and a suitable level is required to be demonstrated on application if you don't hold the necessary Q's). My point was more around how experience is disregarded in the face of not having a second language, something that never hindered me in 8 years policing London.

Advertisement