Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

LOL/Nelson haha

58376363_1797204530379594_3479077982553767936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=6638fe81143a02eb5177d0138214e2d4&oe=5D32048A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

These scooters have a bit more of my attention lately, they do seem to tip along at 30kph or so but jaysis do they look unstable, I wouldn't fancy it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

These scooters have a bit more of my attention lately, they do seem to tip along at 30kph or so but jaysis do they look unstable, I wouldn't fancy it tbh

Depends on your route I guess, if you had a decent segregated cycle path on your commute they'd be fairly tempting. You'd wish the gards would focus their time on dangerous driving, open drug use & violence on our city streets rather than targetting fellas on little electric scooters. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    LOL/Nelson haha

Tenner says he's giving the "why aren't you out catching the real criminals spiel" or some version thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Depends on your route I guess, if you had a decent segregated cycle path on your commute they'd be fairly tempting. You'd wish the gards would focus their time on dangerous driving, open drug use & violence on our city streets rather than targetting fellas on little electric scooters. :rolleyes:

Meh, traffic cops do traffic cop stuff. If you're behind one of these scooters over the next while watch as the rider struggles to keep it in a straight line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

These scooters velocipedes have a bit more of my attention lately, they do seem to tip along at 30kph or so but jaysis do they look unstable, I wouldn't fancy it tbh

Fixed that for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i see a few of them on the grand canal route, but i can normally pass them out, they cant be doing more than 12km

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was posting this in the electric vehicle forum earlier.

You can see some sellers are telling customers the limit is 45mph/72.4kmh
    https://gyrowheel.ie/faq/
    What is the legal status of electric/battery powered scooters, unicycles and skateboards in Ireland?

Electric vehicles or any other Mechanically Propelled Vehicles (MPV) do not need to be taxed or insured in Ireland as long as they don’t go over 45 mph. All our products travel below 45 mph. However, if any electric vehicles go over 45 mph, then those would need to get tax and insurance like a regular car or motorbike...

For further details please see garda.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

silverharp wrote: »
    i see a few of them on the grand canal route, but i can normally pass them out, they cant be doing more than 12km

Lots of the Xiaomis are over 30, about 32-34 kp/h

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rubadub wrote: »

That video just demonstrates that the RSA, motor tax people and the gardai don't know the law. It doesn't prove that electric skateboards are legal.

Why he couldn't just go online and read the legislation I've no idea. It's not that hard...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Meh, traffic cops do traffic cop stuff. If you're behind one of these scooters over the next while watch as the rider struggles to keep it in a straight line

I see a load of them on my commute, and they're pretty stable. No issues going in a straight line that I can see, although there are wobbly people out there. I see far more wobbly cyclists tbh, but I see more cyclists so meh.

I'm looking at yet more surgery this year, I wont be able to cycle for 6 months. I haven't got a car and I can't hop/crutch the distance from the road into work. Two trains, a bus and a scooter might the the only way I can get into work. It's an hour of a cycle :mad:

I can't walk or stand for a long length of time. It's really noticeable when I have to go away. I was recently in NY for work. I was on a walking stick, painkillers many times a day because I couldn't cycle to where I needed to go. I think a wee scooter (you can get sit down ones!) would give me mobility when I can't pedal. Here on my bike I pedal pretty much to the door of where ever I need to be so it's fine. Ish. My walkable distance has shrunk massively in the last 2 years, so more surgery :rolleyes:.

Plus they look like loads of fun. Although the full moto helmet whilst scooting looks hilarious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »

Sales person tells people what they want to hear :eek:. If a vehicle needs tax and insurance to be road legal but cannot be taxed or insured, then it simply is not allowed. Tough sh1t. Revenue are great for changing their mind on decisions of which I have been on the poor end of, Insurance companies are private and have no obligation to insure anyone and Gardai, at least some, well, lets just say you might be in court before it is revealed they were incorrect.

I have nothing against them myself, but the ones tipping 50kmph are a moped in disguise, lets not kid anyone here, if I were a Garda, I'd just be lifting the ones on the pavements and ignoring the rest for the minute, and then informing the person the legal reason its lifted but also it might have been missed if they hadn't been a d1ck and rode it on a pavement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a consumer law point of view, is there any comeback for someone who buys one on the insistence of a salesperson that they're perfectly legal, and then has it subsequently impounded?

nee wrote: »
    I see a load of them on my commute, and they're pretty stable. No issues going in a straight line that I can see, although there are wobbly people out there. I see far more wobbly cyclists tbh, but I see more cyclists so meh.

I'm looking at yet more surgery this year, I wont be able to cycle for 6 months. I haven't got a car and I can't hop/crutch the distance from the road into work. Two trains, a bus and a scooter might the the only way I can get into work. It's an hour of a cycle :mad:

I can't walk or stand for a long length of time. It's really noticeable when I have to go away. I was recently in NY for work. I was on a walking stick, painkillers many times a day because I couldn't cycle to where I needed to go. I think a wee scooter (you can get sit down ones!) would give me mobility when I can't pedal. Here on my bike I pedal pretty much to the door of where ever I need to be so it's fine. Ish. My walkable distance has shrunk massively in the last 2 years, so more surgery :rolleyes:.

Plus they look like loads of fun. Although the full moto helmet whilst scooting looks hilarious.

Jaysus Nee, I thought I was bad with my Achilles and hobbling around like an 80 year some mornings till they loosen up. Sounds like hips or knees? What ever get it sorted, from the sounds of it that **** is really impacting your quality of life.

Jaysus Nee, I thought I was bad with my Achilles and hobbling around like an 80 year some mornings till they loosen up. Sounds like hips or knees? What ever get it sorted, from the sounds of it that **** is really impacting your quality of life.

Hips. I was born with it, it's ongoing. The knees and back are fcuked as a result of growing up with it. I have had some surgeries already, it's degenerative.
    It's also completely normal for me, so it's not suddenly awful. I do have a big difference in strength in my two legs (lefty has only 60% the power of righty, but it is longer :pac: ). Being comfy on a bike is the biggest problem. It still hasn't happened yet :mad: But I live in hope :D

anyone familiar with the route enniskerry glencree and back through Rockbrook. all the times ive done it ive gone clockwise, was thinking of doing it counter clockwise later in the week. Whats it like doing the climb counter clockwise? seems a little more intimidating

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The swans are getting territorial on the Grand Canal track. It makes for a more interesting commute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The swans are getting territorial on the Grand Canal track. It makes for a more interesting commute.

Cygnets should be getting hatched in the next few weeks, so they would be very protective of their nests at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

anyone familiar with the route enniskerry glencree and back through Rockbrook. all the times ive done it ive gone clockwise, was thinking of doing it counter clockwise later in the week. Whats it like doing the climb counter clockwise? seems a little more intimidating

Might be worth starting a separate thread on this, so people would be more likely to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

For me I prefer clockwise, not for the climb, but the descent. Glencree to Enniskerry road has a few blind bends, poor surface and a final extremely steep drop into Enniskerry. Descending Stocking Lane/Cruagh Road is much more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Much of a muchness really. The climbing is a bit steeper but not as long compared to Enniskerry to Glencree which is drawn out a bit more.

(Never really thought about it much before but I have a tendency to do most loops counter-clockwise. I'm not really sure why.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Much of a muchness really. The climbing is a bit steeper but not as long compared to Enniskerry to Glencree which is drawn out a bit more.

(Never really thought about it much before but I have a tendency to do most loops counter-clockwise. I'm not really sure why.)

More left turns than right maybe, so easier to keep moving and less stop starting?

The Garda Twitter account is reporting a seriously injured cyclist taken to hospital after a crash in Dorset Street

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The Garda Twitter account is reporting a seriously injured cyclist taken to hospital after a crash in Dorset Street

Hope she's ok

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1121165412589363200

Nee, have you ever tried a semi-recumbent? I'm told that recumbents and semi-recumbents are powered by the stomach and back muscles (I think it is) rather than the leg muscles.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Nee, have you ever tried a semi-recumbent? I'm told that recumbents and semi-recumbents are powered by the stomach and back muscles (I think it is) rather than the leg muscles.

I haven't. They look like fun, but I'm fine pedalling a normal bike, bar the fit, and I race, so no non UCI approved bikes for me!

CramCycle wrote: »
    More left turns than right maybe, so easier to keep moving and less stop starting?

I weirdly landed on an old post about this in the journalism thread this morning (accidentally bookmarked), thought the discussion was brought back on this thread.

it should be a change to do the route the other way, ive always had Enniskerry as a straight route out of dublin so force of habit but then felt the descent was wasted and used up to quickly. ill watch out for the road quality before Enniskerry thanks!

I was stung by a bee on the mouth the last time I did the descent into Enniskerry. Not a great feeling at that speed.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I was stung by a bee on the mouth the last time I did the descent into Enniskerry. Not a great feeling at that speed.

funnily enough i was clocked in the face a few times by large bugs on the way down.

looking at the map, is it worth skipping Enniskerry and cut up through glencullen instead?

Advertisement