Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Heard them mention this on Eurosport earlier during UAE tour, fascinating to see as you can't see this stuff from the TV cameras

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1101201025027969024

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if anyone here was tonight's jammy bastard, you are hereby obliged to fund the ras. and the velodrome. that is all.
    turns out there's an outside chance someone here was said jammy bastard:
    Dublin cyclist who won €175m EuroMillions wants new €20,000 bike
    Asked what he was planning to spend on he said: “You don’t really know what to do. For me, I’d probably buy one of the best bikes you can buy.

“I’m mad into cycling so that’s the only thing I’d be thinking of,” he added, before closing down Sean O’Rourke when he said the most you could spend on a bike would be “only €5,000”.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/naul-cyclist-euromillions-winner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well it was bought in the newsagent in Naul, which has a lot of cyclists pass it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sounds like a nice bloke, hope the family enjoy it.

Management company have arranged for a skip today. What they didn't say is they'd be clearing out the bike shed of anything that's not a bike or kids toy.

As a result my bike repair stand is buried in a skip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

new bike repair stand for you so? reckon they'll cough up?

new bike repair stand for you so? reckon they'll cough up?

Highly unlikely. They'll say the shed is only for bikes etc etc.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hope everyone's watching the Track Cycling Worlds
    ;)
    Bronze for Mark Downey in the Points Race

It's the first race for those watching replay on eurosport player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

Beasty wrote: »
    Hope everyone's watching the Track Cycling Worlds
    ;)
    Bronze for Mark Downey in the Points Race
    Silver for Lydia in the points race!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thud wrote: »
    Silver for Lydia in the points race!!

Yeahie!!!!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Of the Boylan variety - only missed out on gold in the final sprint and by a single point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Ireland: Women, you're too slow!
    The organisers of the Irish National road race attracted criticism over the weekend when the structure of the day’s racing meant the women’s peloton was forced to pull over for the men’s race.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/irish-national-champs-organisers-criticised-pull-womens-peloton-mens-race-pass-337248

Belgium: Women, you're too fast!
    Nicole Hanselmann of the Bigla Pro team surged into an early lead of almost two minutes in the annual Omloop Het Nieuwsblad race around the Flemish Ardennes, but her solo breakaway was cut short by a hasty request that she stop at the side of the road as the event organisers neutralised the women’s race in order to restore the gap between the two groups.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/03/belgian-cycling-nicole-hanselmann

Women, learn to race at the right speed! :pac:

buffalo wrote: »
    Women, learn to race at the right speed! :pac:

What a crock of sh1t that was. She'll never know what could have been. TV or not, the comms should have let a roar at the men to speed up or be neutralised for 30 minutes. I agreed with the decision in Ireland at the time because that is the way it should be, if a faster group catches a slower group, they get neutralised, it has happened to me.

The correct thing and the right thing aside, the cynic in me also thinks that it really shows the stupidity of the organisers, it would have been a marketing win to neutralise the mens race after all the abuse they have gotten over the years. TV viewing figures up, no one offended, and a positive controversy. I do wonder how some people got their jobs that these things are not obvious.

We were once stopped 3 times in a women's national road series race :rolleyes:
    Ours was the only national series race on that day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chapeau to the camera crew yesterday though, when the wee break ensued when the race was stopped they were quick to cut from anyone in shot who looked to be unzipping or putting a bike down.

Hanselmann yesterday was going full gas they clocked her through one of those on street speed check things doing 51kmph. To make things worse they stopped the race in front of train track instead of having the race cross them before stopping :rolleyes:

Made me think though what do the ladies normally do, find a bush and hop off? Men have it super easy there, recall during the tour in 2017 Eurosport coming back from an ad and it cut to a shot of Uran near the bottom of the descent with his lad in his hand and my partner saying "Oh my" :D

Made me think though what do the ladies normally do, find a bush and hop off? Men have it super easy there, recall during the tour in 2017 Eurosport coming back from an ad and it cut to a shot of Uran near the bottom of the descent with his lad in his hand and my partner saying "Oh my" :D

We don't. Although the only option mid race is a chamois wee. Which I have yet to test thank fcuk. The chafing :eek:
    The women's wt stages and races are shorter so there isn't a need, and I believe it's one of the many bullshyte reasons for making women's races and stages generally shorter.

nee wrote: »
    We don't. Although the only option mid race is a chamois wee. Which I have yet to test thank fcuk. The chafing :eek:
    The women's wt stages and races are shorter so there isn't a need, and I believe it's one of the many bullshyte reasons for making women's races and stages generally shorter.

The distance and team size works well though in some of the races despite the bullshyte reasons for it and the women being capable of far more distance wise the racing is better because of it . The reasons cited for not having a womens tour or paris roubaix recently annoyed me.

That said you are woman racing, so it should be about how you want to race and what you want as opposed to how I watch a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

The distance and team size works well though in some of the races despite the bullshyte reasons for it and the women being capable of far more distance wise the racing is better because of it . The reasons cited for not having a womens tour or paris roubaix recently annoyed me.

That said you are woman racing, so it should be about how you want to race and what you want as opposed to how I watch a race.

Complex issue, but depth of field is an issue for having the women's race the same as men (I think the moutain stages show this most, only handful of full on climbers), although they could experiment a bit more with it, bit id reckon we would see less difference in winners if the terrain is hilly, for a sprint finish the field depth probably is their to do longer races.

As for 3 week GT racing, long way off that, need focus on getting a 10 day going, teams themselves are not ready for 3weeks until all these overhauls come off to narrow gap.

In my opinion the sports will never be quiet alike, a star in mens race is likely to have longer careers, and a rider like Johansson gave up peak of her career to focus on family, rare a man would make that call, Phil Deignan did so but very much at end of his.

Equality which isn't happening now as mentioned is about getting what the female athletes want (which they arn't mostly), but its also about figuring out how to make the best product to get that exposure, comments you see like prize money & matching wages are lazy equality and thought, its way more about equality of access and support. No point having same winners prize as men, if your team isn't even paying all the riders a full wage.

It disappoints me in Ireland personally participation levels, i play football/soccer and we have struggled recruiting women for mixed events, so really a change at school level to stop all the drop off, not sure peoples experience with this.

manafana wrote: »

In my opinion the sports will never be quiet alike, a star in mens race is likely to have longer careers, and a rider like Johansson gave up peak of her career to focus on family, rare a man would make that call, Phil Deignan did so but very much at end of his.

This isn't necessarily true at all. Top female soccer players are retiring at the same age as soccer players. Same in athletics. I'd say it's more to do with the sport and retirement ages are probably not too dissimilar depending on bodily wear and tear and commercial opportunities inside the sport.

Personal choice comes into too of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Weepsie wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily true at all. Top female soccer players are retiring at the same age as soccer players. Same in athletics. I'd say it's more to do with the sport and retirement ages are probably not too dissimilar depending on bodily wear and tear and commercial opportunities inside the sport.

Personal choice comes into too of course.

Point was more that sometimes you will lose stars early for personal choices more likely in WOmens racing for varying reasons, if anything in endurance sports women should thrive well into 30s compared to avg man, but people will make choice to have a family and not come back, some will come back, but face remains life choices do not align same for a man even with more modern family policies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

07Lapierre wrote: »

Vote early and vote often?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭De Bhál

how far does he live from work?

A question on Wiggles returns policy, I ordered something by mistake and want to return it. It seems I just post it back unused and cover the postage. Also, if it turns out it is not as described eg, difference in wheel weight to what was advertised, is that grounds enough for a return?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

CramCycle wrote: »
    A question on Wiggles returns policy, I ordered something by mistake and want to return it. It seems I just post it back unused and cover the postage. Also, if it turns out it is not as described eg, difference in wheel weight to what was advertised, is that grounds enough for a return?

That's pretty much it, and that's definitely grounds enough for a return, although in fairness to them they'll take a return for pretty much any reason. Don't forget if you paid by Paypal you can get your postage costs refunded by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I think when you go through the webpage there are a number of reasons for return, they don't seem to question the reason for return. I returned an item after 10 months (overshoes) as when I did eventually pul them out to use them they were far too big, no questions asked. They refund postage costs to the original payment method once you show a receipt of the return cost.

a cooling off period applies anyway if you do it quickly enough, no reason required:
    When you shop online you have the right to a “cooling-off” period of 14 calendar days where you can withdraw from the contract and return your purchases to the seller. You do not have to give any reason but bear in mind you may have to pay for the cost of returning the goods.
    https://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/shopping-online-consumer-rights/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think things like 'not as described' or 'incorrect item sent' should mean that they refund return postage whereas 'change of mind' would mean that you pay the postage. That's how Amazon works though I'm not sure if that's in the distance selling regulations.

• Advertisement

looks like my - northwesterly - cycle home will be fun.

474839.png

Advertisement