Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Thought I heard an Irish accent on the PA calling them off at one point there.

Conor Dunne finished 5th overall Tour of Antalya in Turkey. Possibly his best finish in a stage race?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mandatory speed limiters to be fitted to all new cars in Europe within three years
    Sitting among a range of new safety features due for all new cars, the mandatory speed limiters come as part of a proposal from the European Transport Safety Council, recently approved by a group of key MEPs.

Dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), the limiters will use GPS data and/or traffic sign recognition cameras to determine the speed limit of the road a vehicle is travelling on. Engine power will then be limited to match this, preventing the car from exceeding the speed limit. It will be possible to override the system by pushing hard on the throttle, however the system will be engaged every time a car is started.
    https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/mandatory-speed-limiters-to-be-fitted-to-all-new-cars-in-europe-within-three-years

They should go one better if the speed limit is broken wilfully then it should automatically inform the authorities and dispatch the points and fine. Add detection for red light jumping while they are at it.

That being said I can see data and privacy issues with this. It's unreal when you stop to think about it what you give away without thinking that can then be sold on to advertising companies etc. Hop on the bike and at least vodafone or whoever, google, garmin and strava know where you went , where you stopped off maybe what you listened to on the way there. They can even tell you have kids even though they don't have a device or an account based on the fact that most adults wouldn't watch baby shark on youtube for the 100th time :D

I wouldn't be a tin foil hat guy but I'd be of the mind that if they are making money off this stuff then I'll have a sweeter piece of the pie thanks and this data is serious money for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

The automated sign recognition and speed location databases are going to need an awful lot of work before that's a reality.

My car regularly gets confused. Some examples...

- driving on motorway and decides speed limit is exit speed limit though I've not taken the exit.
    - random 30kph limits in places there aren't any signs (there aren't any 30 zones in Waterford as far as I am aware)
    - there is at least one spot I pass regularly in a 50kph zone where about half the time the car decides I'm on a motorway.

There's also a ton of incorrect speed zones in the GPS system (even wrong when the car was new in 2018).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They should go one better if the speed limit is broken wilfully then it should automatically inform the authorities and dispatch the points and fine. Add detection for red light jumping while they are at it.

That being said I can see data and privacy issues with this. It's unreal when you stop to think about it what you give away without thinking that can then be sold on to advertising companies etc. Hop on the bike and at least vodafone or whoever, google, garmin and strava know where you went , where you stopped off maybe what you listened to on the way there. They can even tell you have kids even though they don't have a device or an account based on the fact that most adults wouldn't watch baby shark on youtube for the 100th time :D

I wouldn't be a tin foil hat guy but I'd be of the mind that if they are making money off this stuff then I'll have a sweeter piece of the pie thanks and this data is serious money for them.

Its mad when you think about this stuff, my watch instantly knows when I start cycling. I should turn that off but it vibrates and says 'great ride' and well, that's as close as I'm getting at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Poor language choice by whoever wrote the tweet. :( Hope the cyclist is ok.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1100320671719149568

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

THE CURSE OF THE RAINBOW JERSEY
    Just watched AVV at the UAE tour, and my heart sank seeing him fly past Roglic, Dan and others at the sharp end of the Queen stage. I am worried that this year there will be a scandal and it will be wearing the World Champion Jersey. Really don't want to see this.
    On the other hand, given that I have just had a significant birthday, I expect to have a year of PB's, KOM's and race wins, as age clearly has no effect on performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Flights booked. Vuelta Espana, here I come :D

• Advertisement

Caught the climb to the dam in todays stage of UAE tour, sight of poor
    Kristoff
    having to get off and push his bike to the line after blowing is something I could sympathise with :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Caught the climb to the dam in todays stage of UAE tour, sight of poor
    Kristoff
    having to get off and push his bike to the line after blowing is something I could sympathise with :o

he broke his chain stay i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

manafana wrote: »
    he broke his chain stay i think

His rear mech was well buried in his back wheel anyway!

Get out of it , must have another look I didn't pick that up when I saw it earlier.

Here are the highlights, he's clearly looking down at the rear of the bike after he hopped off with a few meters to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

manafana wrote: »

I suspect the chain jammed, causing the rear derailleur to get jammed in the cassette, which spun it around and smashed into the chainstay. I doubt the chainstay snapped for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Feckin' Colnago made out recycled Tayto bags, get back to Columbus steel :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone ever report KOMs on strava as being suspicious? there's a couple i'd love to report, but it would just make me seem petty. they're not exactly classic climbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

anyone ever report KOMs on strava as being suspicious? there's a couple i'd love to report, but it would just make me seem petty. they're not exactly classic climbs..
    The segments or the rides? I've only ever reported rides that were obviously done in a car either intentionally or unintentionally.

• Advertisement

it was the segment which caught my eye, but was done on a ride done at an average of 14.5km/h over an hour, but managed to hit 84km/h at one point, and it's around the southside suburbs of dublin.

I reported one yesterday one that was set a few days ago going along Frascati road at 105km/h!

I also reported the one on stepaside lane. Nothing appears to have been done about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've done it and they were removed after a few days. There was a guy around the Parkwest area swallowing up all of the KOMs on an ebike

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

it was the segment which caught my eye, but was done on a ride done at an average of 14.5km/h over an hour, but managed to hit 84km/h at one point, and it's around the southside suburbs of dublin.
    There is/was a segment along one of the runways at the airport. I think the KOM was something like 190km/h. Pilots having a bit of fun?

I've reported a few which were obviously done in a car and included driving on a motorway but only if they knocked me off a podium or KOM.

....and then there are those with E bikes and Garmins mounted! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I also reported the one on stepaside lane. Nothing appears to have been done about it though.
    According to this video the first time a ride is flagged it's up to the user to crop or remove their ride. If they don't and you flag it again it goes to Strava to moderate.
    There is/was a segment along one of the runways at the airport. I think the KOM was something like 190km/h. Pilots having a bit of fun?
    Someone I was following on Strava had a spin called "Out for coffee" and they ended up in Kraków :)

heh, i tried flagging it and got 'Cannot create a flag on an activity that already has a resolved flag'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a continuous issue in South Dublin, where MTBers finish their run and load the bike onto the back of the car without removing or stopping their Garmin.

The 105km/h segment record in Blackrock has been taken down. Surely it wouldn’t be difficult for Strava to ignore speeds like that on a relatively flat road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone who likes their vintage jerseys, Monto by vine world has a nice yellow Hitachi long sleeve jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Anyone who likes their vintage jerseys, Monto by vine world has a nice yellow Hitachi long sleeve jersey.

Oooooo
    Wants.....

Advertisement