Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and even that was a tongue in cheek reference to people not caring if cars do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ah Lads, where is the Christmas fairy advert gone? Was practically having a wet dream picking through the liquidation stuff from a closed shop...

Mad craic of a thread, had to stop myself going back a few times for more!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dahat wrote: »
    Mad craic of a thread, had to stop myself going back a few times for more!

Still having to avoid it !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ford2600 wrote: »
    I was tasked with obtaining two bikes for wife's nieces lately. Once they hit xs adult height its hard enough to get something decent sub 400 and certainly near to 300.

Once you hit xs ladies bikes you are looking triple rings.

Frog kids bikes are pretty good, single ring up front and light enough. Got one for my daughter a could of years back and the only weak point was crap tyres which I replaced with Marathons. My older girl co-opted my wife's ageing Giant hybrid and after a year of use I was talking to her about it and she mentioned she'd never once changed from the middle ring up front. Triple on a casual commuter seems a bit daft, wide ranging 1x9 is going to be the better option on a cheap bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

RobFowl wrote: »
    Still having to avoid it !!

It would be good if the OP\seller updated the thread as to what's sold and what's left...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just checked my Strava. I've covered 4996km thus far this year... I wasn't planning on getting on the bike in the next week and I fly out of the country until January just after Christmas... it seems a shame to leave me 4km short of the 5k mark!

Couple of trips to the shops for milk or something will see you there. I wouldn't have the will power to resist hitting that 5k mark being so close to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I was just looking at the Vuelta route for 2019, overall not the most inspiring but of potential interest is the possibility of 6 sprint finishes if Sam gets the nod and has a team interested in closing down breaks in the final week. But perhaps the most interesting aspect is that the final four stages are all close to Madrid so could make a nice holiday come September.

I have been to the final stage the last two years and always an enjoyable day with lots to do and typically plenty of time for the womens race as well. The weather is usually good (mid 20's )and this year will also see decisive (hopefully) stages in the mountains to the north and west of Madrid.
    LUkkRLu.jpg?1

Elsewhere one of the more notable stages is a 96km stage in Andorra with the summit finish on a gravel track
    trYQBKZ.jpg?1

Had my stitches out to day. Thumb still a little tender so I'll take herself to school on foot again tomorrow I think.

On an unrelated note I haven't seen the man who usually rides around Drogheda this time of year with a nice array of Christmas lights on his bike yet. Used to see him out and about every year around now. More so north side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Couple of trips to the shops for milk or something will see you there. I wouldn't have the will power to resist hitting that 5k mark being so close to it :)

I know someone who finished 2016 on 5995.

source.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Whilst the quickest runners were between 20 and 29, on the bike the average speed was highest for those in their 40s in England, Wales and Ireland, whilst in Scotland and Northern Ireland it was the silver foxes in their 50s who were fastest.
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/cyclists-forties-fifties-active-fastest-uk-403567

yay for the roaring forties.

and for the day that's in it:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Just checked my Strava. I've covered 4996km thus far this year... I wasn't planning on getting on the bike in the next week and I fly out of the country until January just after Christmas... it seems a shame to leave me 4km short of the 5k mark!

I've done 5,081.4km. I've told my family I won't make Christmas dinner as I need to cover 920km in the next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'm at 7,170km was aiming to break 8k this year but the last month has been a disaster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If I had 5995 I'd stop too. similarly 9999 or 7777 etc. I like the symmetry of it all more than the round number. That said, I'll be lucky to get to 6500 this year as it's been very stop start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Weepsie wrote: »
    If I had 5995 I'd stop too. similarly 9999 or 7777 etc. I like the symmetry of it all more than the round number. That said, I'll be lucky to get to 6500 this year as it's been very stop start

We did a count your steps for a month in work and on one of the days I had 9000 exactly. I only noticed when I logged it the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm 40kms short of 5000 which isn't bad considering I had two fairly hefty crashes, one of which killed my bike. I will get another couple of hundred in though before year end.

Also just want to say as we come to the end of the that when I had that little personal dip in the summer I appreciated the support I got from you guys here, it was good to vent and it gave me the motivation I needed to pick myself up quickly. Being true to form I gave myself a goal and worked towards that as well as changing from a toxic employer to one that's pretty cool. The goal you ask? Well in April I'll be stepping into a cage to go toe to toe with another headbanger :o

Cycling is forming a key part of my training, no big distance but hill repeats, I've been doing loops around Chapelizod Hill and Knockmaroon, I live close to there so it's handy.

Anyway, Bon Noël!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well in April I'll be stepping into a cage to go toe to toe with another headbanger :o
    Do us proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Lumen wrote: »
    Do us proud!

rRTlStScolw

Smesh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

For after Christmas when your other half finds out how much you spend on bikes.

n5zDB4A_d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

For after Christmas when your other half finds out how much you spend on bikes.

n5zDB4A_d.jpg

c633833a4f1d462f2cb12868e0f5db4f.jpg

af32651c69e767980e78cad6ba5acaf9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm posting on the mobile site, everything looks perfectly fine! Apologies for the tiny pic. #varifocals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

It's not small, it's far away...

Just like NamelessPhil most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Ryath wrote: »
    funny pic

If i could thank this twice..... 😂

Who deals with Garmin repair issues in Ireland?

My 520 won't power on today, suspect water damage and hoping they may repair it.

You tried the hotpress and bag of rice trick with it? or is it beyond that do you think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Garmin UK. They will charge you a flat fee and probably just ship you a replacement if I recall correctly.

You tried the hotpress and bag of rice trick with it? or is it beyond that do you think?

Doing this currently, hoping a Xmas miracle occurs.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Garmin UK. They will charge you a flat fee and probably just ship you a replacement if I recall correctly.

Sound, at least its a UK address. Any idea of the fee? Hardly full cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

dahat wrote: »
    Sound, at least its a UK address. Any idea of the fee? Hardly full cost?
    I did this too but found oven at a very low setting more effective.

Advertisement